Author Topic: How do I buy clothes from Amazon?  (Read 5158 times)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
How do I buy clothes from Amazon?
« on: December 17, 2020, 01:00:33 PM »
I have about $300 in Amazon gift card credit, and I actually need some clothes for a new job. Problem is there are so many choices with various price points and it's difficult to tell the quality. I got overwhelmed and gave up. Are there other websites you trust that make "best of amazon clothes" lists or something?

I am female, average height, and usually wear anywhere from size 2-6 depending on brand. I can get away with trousers or skirt with blouse, or a casual dress. Will need leggings if I wear a dress or skirt in the winter. I tend to get too hot indoors so those cute sweater dresses are out. Everything must be machine washable, and I prefer to pay a little more for something that will last many washes.

I also want to buy some merino wool socks for running and want to know if the off brands are any good, or if I should spring for brand name.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: How do I buy clothes from Amazon?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 01:05:27 PM »
I would definitely spring for a recognized, known brand name in most cases. Amazon has been completely overrun by cheap Chinese knockoffs that can look good but are absolute crap. If you read the reviews, you can sometimes use them to separate the chaff from the wheat, but those Chinese brands have review mills operating to generate hundreds of reviews under different names to look authentic.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 01:10:36 PM »
I would definitely spring for a recognized, known brand name in most cases. Amazon has been completely overrun by cheap Chinese knockoffs that can look good but are absolute crap. If you read the reviews, you can sometimes use them to separate the chaff from the wheat, but those Chinese brands have review mills operating to generate hundreds of reviews under different names to look authentic.

What brands are good? I haven't bought professional clothes in years. I wore scrubs for my last few jobs.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 01:25:20 PM »

What brands are good? I haven't bought professional clothes in years. I wore scrubs for my last few jobs.

I mean, it really depends on what you mean by "professional clothes," and your style, etc. I guess if I were you, I might start with typing the names of brands you used to wear back in the day and see if you can get those brands on Amazon. I just typed in "Eddie Bauer" for example, and there are a fair number of things available.

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 02:18:05 PM »
Kris is absolutely right. Amazon is littered with Chinese sellers. It's like whack a mole. Amazon can't remove them faster than they pop up.

If you're going to shop reputable brands, I'll suggest purchasing clothing only when the seller is Amazon.com. Another source I'll recommend: https://www.thredup.com/

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 05:19:41 PM »
I will try thread up. I can just hang onto my Amazon gift card until there's something else I need. I don't really have a style. Will take recommendations for other places to look too.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 06:53:58 PM »
Look at www.poshmark.com and www.therealreal.com

I bought a couple of nice things on Poshmark recently, and paid (at most) 20% of original retail. One trick I found is to click the heart to indicate you like the item, then sit back and wait. If sellers are ready to bargain, they'll offer you a lower price. I bought a leather jacket that was listed at $180, and ended up paying $120 plus free shipping.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 07:50:55 PM »

I bought a couple of nice things on Poshmark recently, and paid (at most) 20% of original retail. One trick I found is to click the heart to indicate you like the item, then sit back and wait. If sellers are ready to bargain, they'll offer you a lower price. I bought a leather jacket that was listed at $180, and ended up paying $120 plus free shipping.

I do second poshmark, especially if you know the exact thing you want to buy and the style. I have pretty much exclusively shopped there in 2020.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 08:03:01 PM »
Amazon sells gift cards to a bunch of third-party brands... so you can buy a gift card for a store/brand that you know you like and trust with your Amazon credit. Glancing at the 'style and beauty' section I see Old Navy, Nordstrom, DSW, H&M, Loft, LL Bean, Banana Republic, Gap, Talbots, J. Crew, Eddie Bauer... and that's only the first couple of pages. There's a ton of options.

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 06:39:28 AM »

And Mercari https://www.mercari.com/

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 01:09:46 PM »
Not answering the OP's question, but thought I'd mention when I have
and abundance of Amazon gift points, I'll often spend them on consumables
(e.g. coffee filters) -- stuff that I would be purchasing anyway.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 06:30:58 PM »
I actually have found the amazon brands to be pretty decent in women’s clothing - there is Amazon basics, but also a couple of other house brands like Lark & Roe. I’ve bought pretty basic stuff like tees, tunics, t-shirts, underpants...

Plus if you know a brand and size that you like, you can often just order that.

Two years ago I was laid up all winter after surgery and I got pretty bored and had time to sift through many, many, many pages of amazon listings, and actually did find a couple of things that I love that were pretty great bargains. I do reject anything with a bad review.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 07:57:23 AM »
Totally agree about cheap Chinese with review mills overrunning Amazon.   I've learned to be very leery of positive reviews that don't mention anything specific about the product.
I'm sooo ready for someone to knock Amazon off their throne.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2020, 05:39:28 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys. I will definitely check out those websites! DH has a Mercari account already from one of his hobbies.

I used part of my credit to buy a gift for my brother's baby, and my husband got me merino socks from Costco.

Other stuff I can buy that I need/want:

Covidsovergivingsmas gifts for nephews (planning to check after Christmas sales)

A large glass baking dish

A sturdier umbrella

A new reading light (toddler broke the clip on my old one)

Rain gear for biking (not sure how to determine quality on this either)

Handlebar mitts (again, not sure if the off brands are ok or if I should stick to brand name). I will check out some of the biking gear threads on here.

A cheap desktop computer to hook up to our TV: Ours died recently and we've been using a PS3 to watch Netflix. DH would like to have a computer again so he can watch other things on the bigger screen.  I'm not sure if Amazon is the best place for that though.

New blinds for my living room (again, difficult to tell quality)

I could always just get pantry staples or cleaning supplies, but the optimizer in me screams about it being cheaper elsewhere. Gahh.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2021, 10:39:38 AM »
Lark and Ro dresses are good, it's an Amazon company.  I actually wore this dress yesterday when I had a surprise interview.  I try to wash my work wardrobe on warm or cool, and hang to dry for the best longevity.  I have some Amazon Basics' plain black tank tops that seem to be holding up pretty well, and I wear them under a lot of work tops. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K16YKXN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2021, 11:55:31 AM »
I remember this recent thread about buying a professional wardrobe that may be helpful to you:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/reader-recommendations/business-casual-clothes/

I'm with the contingent that generally doesn't trust clothes from Amazon. The exception is replacing or getting new colors in an item I already own and like from a known brand, but even then I try to buy secondhand both for cost and environmental reasons. And not being an Amazon fan generally. If you aren't sure what brands/sizes you are, skirts would be more forgiving than pants as a purchase for your lower half since there are fewer places where they have to fit closely on your body.

I personally favor Ebay over Poshmark for used items. I feel like the prices are generally lower on Ebay, possibly due to the overall higher number of items for sale generating price competition between sellers. And there being less pretense about finding items being a fun social experience meeting "friends" with your same style.