Author Topic: Hiking Shoes/Boots  (Read 5690 times)

meg_shannon

• Stubble
Hiking Shoes/Boots
« on: May 15, 2016, 07:50:08 PM »
I need a new pair of hiking shoes. I've worn almost all the tread off my old Timberland's, and after checking online, it appears that the brand doesn't make a similar style anymore. Currently and in the near future, I won't be doing any extended hikes as most of hiking includes our almost six year old daughter. I won't just use sneakers as I'm not the most graceful (all right I'm downright uncoordinated), and I'm a bit heights phobic which includes any steeper hills.

I'm a woman, but not opposed to buying men's shoes - especially for something as utilitarian as hiking shoes. I have fairly large feet at size 10/11 and wide width sometimes.

I'm hoping to order a pair from zappos as I can return them for free if they don't fit. I have no problem ordering several pairs and returning all but the final pair.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Hiking Shoes/Boots
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 07:55:02 PM »
It depends on what you need and want! I love Danners (pronghorns in particular) for hunting, but for hiking and trail running, I do Merrell trail gloves.

If you want a classic hiking boot, going to a closeout sale at a big box store and trying them on will probably be your best bet, I would think.

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 08:58:05 PM »
I don't need a full hiking boot as I won't be doing full day hikes for a few years yet. I would like something a bit more flexible and comfortable.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 08:59:38 PM »
Well, for flexible and comfortable, a tennis shoe style hiking shoe can't be beat.

My husband's current, and my planned next, is the Vivo Barefoot Trail Freak. Assuming my merrels ever die- thousand+ miles and going strong.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 09:25:44 PM »
If you like hiking shoes and ones that are flat (most have a heel incline that is too much for me).. Try the Merrell Siren Sport 2. Love mine to pieces. I've done many 15 mile hikes in them.

Tawcan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tawcan
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 04:46:06 PM »
If there's an REI near you, better off going in and try out the different hiking shoes to see which one fits you the best.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 04:52:07 PM »
I recently tried on what felt like every women's hiking boot available to me locally.  The Keens I found had the most generously cut toe-boxes, which for me is where the width is most needed.  have since hiked a bunch in them and have no complaints.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 04:57:12 PM »
If there's an REI near you, better off going in and try out the different hiking shoes to see which one fits you the best.

This. People's feet are different. If you are interested more in  hiking sneakers or trail running shoes than full hiking boots, I would see what Marshall's has as well (in my experience they often have shoes of this variety). If you have one nearby, of course.

As far as durability, I've had a pair of Vasques since the summer before 8th grade. 2 metal eyelets fell off early on, which my mom replaced with webbing. So now they look a bit...modded...but they've held up fantastically since as hiking boots, rain boots, snow boots! However, I only use them a couple times a year. They're full hiking boots (above the ankle).

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 11:02:04 AM »
Personally I like trail runner shoes you can pick up at an REI. They have a good selection, ultra comfortable, and they usually have aggressive tread. That's usually enough for me. I don't plan on punting cholla around or anything. Boots are usually reserved for man made hazard areas, ultra wet nasty, and ass stomping, or nail protection

These Teva sandles are awesome. You have to watch out for smaller gravel and excessive sun but they are great for stomping through a creek and most trails. I think I have had them for 3-4 years
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:09:53 AM by mrpercentage »

SimplyMarvie

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »
Having just gone through this for all five members of the Marvie family (for our summer roadtrip/hiking vacation in the national parks last year, taking advantage of the free parks pass for our fourth grader...), as much as I hate to go to places like REI and shop and then buy online... that's TOTALLY what we did. And it worked great!

Shopping showed me that I wanted trail running shoes rather than boots, and a couple of styles/preferences and then I combed the internet for the right deal. Mr. Marvie actually ended up wanting more support and less flexibility than he thought and bought a pair of heavily discounted Ariat paddock/work boots online. I ended up with a discontinued color of Saucony trail runners for $22 online. They're far uglier than the nice brown-and-tan ones I tried on at EMS, but for something I wear only occasionally and usually get covered in mud, I've managed to get over it. 

BurtMacklin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 10:07:08 AM »
I prefer Merrell.

Rocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 10:12:39 AM »
I like new balances trail running shoes.  Everytime I see a pair in my size I buy one and keep as a spare.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 10:15:33 AM »
I have a pair of Merrells. They're my first hiking boots and they're pretty comfy. I got them from an outlet store. They've held up well, and I have no complaints.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 01:14:46 PM »
I love my Lowa hiking boots.  They have been comfortable since the first wear and didn't require normal breaking in.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 04:58:42 PM »
I'm a big fan of my Columbia boots and my keen sandals.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 03:05:25 PM »
I love Solomans. Every pair I've had has traction like nobody's business and have a wide toebox. Some of the reviews talk about the Speedcross 3 being uncomfortable to wear on pavement, but after the first few days I didn't have any trouble.

I also really like my Saucony Peregrines. I don't think there's that much difference between the different numbers (new number every year).

We wear these long-distance hiking and even backpacking (20-25lb packs make my feet spread a bit so I go up a half-size when wearing the pack).

Even more important than the shoes are Darn Tough socks. Really. The 1/4 hikers are amazing.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 04:45:36 PM by Choices »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!