Author Topic: hard pants  (Read 2884 times)

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
hard pants
« on: June 22, 2021, 08:35:02 AM »
I've been ordered back to the office soon, and so the past year of wearing elastic pants all day is over. I need some hard pants that fit on my pandemic body (which is 5-8 lbs heavier than it was last year, dammit). I just want a pair of simple black straight leg slightly relaxed mid-rise zipper pants in a mostly cotton material, but apparently that's too much to ask. Must fit full thighs and butt and someone who still sorta has a waist. Can't find it, but I'll readily admit to having low shopping tolerance, so after about half an hour in a store, I'm done, so it might be out there and I'm just too exhausted to look long enough.

Given the practicality of this group, I figure I can't be the only one. Where do you find pants? I want to find some black (maybe dark gray or brown) pants that fit, buy three or four pairs and be done. Or has anybody gotten pants made for them? It would be worth $$ to me to get two or three pairs that actually fit me and would last for years.

Man, I really don't want to go back.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: hard pants
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 08:40:15 AM »

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 11:24:20 AM »
Kohl's.

Mountainbug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 12:13:07 PM »
I haven’t looked at them in a while but old navy sells a cotton blend work pant, I believe it’s called the pixie. Great range of sizes. I have tree trunk thighs and a normal sized waist and they fit me. And if you go in to the physical store they sometimes have them on clearance.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 12:25:03 PM »
Do you really really (really) need hard pants? If not, maybe take a look at Betabrand.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 12:25:40 PM »
I haven’t looked at them in a while but old navy sells a cotton blend work pant, I believe it’s called the pixie. Great range of sizes. I have tree trunk thighs and a normal sized waist and they fit me. And if you go in to the physical store they sometimes have them on clearance.

The pixie is kind of a long capri. If that length is OK, Costco sells "travel pants." They are a lighter hiking pant material, long capri length, and the waist band does have some elastic. I generally do not like hard pants unless they are jeans, but I do like these, possibly because they are only semi hard? Anyway, they pair well with polos, if that is enough for you, less so with fancy blouses.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 12:32:02 PM »
Christopher and Banks offers some that I had success with before I retired.  I am an hourglass shape and I do not have stick legs.  Their Everyday Trouser might be an option, a bit more than half cotton.  I am like you-- give me black, blue, and maybe a dark gray for work pants in the same style that fits well and I am done shopping.  Leave the variety for tops. 

https://www.christopherandbanks.com/search?q=everyday&lang=default

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 11:07:45 AM »
Ah, some good suggestions for places I had never looked before. Thanks all!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 06:51:36 AM »
Do you really really (really) need hard pants? If not, maybe take a look at Betabrand.

I was going to suggest this, as well. Betabrand were all I wore for the last few years of my career.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 06:34:21 AM »
Betabrand looks interesting, but they also look tight and binding. I may have aged out of that look (no, I know I have LOL).

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 07:12:00 PM »
My experience with betabrand has been that they are poor quality. However almost everything is poor quality… I also don’t like their look, especially on my not-a-model body type. On the low end some of Target’s A New Day trousers are 97% Cotton.  Their web filters don’t work well so I’ve had to manually check each pair… I got a skinny, flat front, mid rise, ankle length gray pair last summer that has held up well with wearing until dirty, then washing and line drying.

I did just thrift a pair of Gap Perfect Trousers. They are mostly rayon, no cotton, but the rayon makes them tolerable to me. I’ve no idea what year they were made, if they are from the last time wide legs were in style? Or the this time? But they are wide leg and the cut is pretty generous on the waist and they have some stretch built in. I thought they are really comfy for a work pant. I may end up eBaying another pair.

Anon-E-Mouze

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 12:09:51 PM »
I'm replying late to this thread but have you looked at pants from Loft? Not cheap, but they have good sales and I think they are a step-up in quality from Old Navy, etc. They also have a few different styles and cuts to accommodate different body types and style preferences. Uniqlo also has some great styles but they have a terrible return policy for online orders, so this option only makes sense if you live near one of their stores.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 09:41:35 AM by Anon-E-Mouze »

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 01:28:30 PM »