Author Topic: Get a Bidet  (Read 26477 times)

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
Get a Bidet
« on: April 23, 2015, 12:43:30 AM »
Alright, this is a little uncouth, but we're all adults here.

Really consider getting a bidet. They
  • are inexpensive,
  • clean you better,
  • are easy to install,
  • feel better,
  • are better for the environment,
  • and will probably save you money in the long run.
Let's suppose you use one toilet paper roll per week on the main toilet in your house. I think that this is pretty conservative, but maybe I'm wrong. My wife does the shopping, but searching online suggests that a quarter per roll is pretty good. So call it a conservative $13/y on toilet paper.

Meanwhile, water is basically free, even out here in drought-ridden California. This bidet costs $35. Break-even in three years, under what I think are pretty conservative assumptions, and that's just factoring in the tangibles. (Searching online suggests that many toilet paper brands costs much more than what I described, and your family may -- probably does -- use more than one roll per week.)

Think about it.

michaelrecycles

• Stubble
Re: Get a Bidet
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 01:45:42 AM »
Glad to see one of the product comments addressed what would be my concern. I can't imagine this topic could be unfunny. Bidet salespeople must have a lot of laughs at work.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 03:50:31 AM »
I think you're joking.  But just to say that saving on toilet paper is not what real bidets are for.  They are for saving on showers.

But in the midst of California's desperate drought, what a good idea — something that uses more water!  That's certainly what I'd vote to do with the water — instead of preserving streams, wildlife, crops, farmers' livelihoods, and drinking water, I'd rather the water went to people who want to save $13 a year on toilet paper.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 05:23:01 AM »
How do you think paper is made?

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 05:47:18 AM »
Have been using one for the last 10 years or so. I'll have trouble going back to barbaric paper. Though I'd never say they save money. Ours came with the apartment but they usually cost upward of $300, assuming you get a mid range model with seat heating, self cleaning mechanism, front and back squirters, blow drier and odour buster.

KungfuRabbit

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 06:02:12 AM »
What if you poop on the spout and then it sprays it back at you?

Most bidets are at least a totally separate piece, not part of the primary toilet.  Then it would be more then $35 though.

i stayed at a hotel that had them once, it was pretty sweet.  its not a financial decision though, its a "you are too lazy to wipe your..." decision. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 06:18:09 AM »
Have been using one for the last 10 years or so. I'll have trouble going back to barbaric paper. Though I'd never say they save money. Ours came with the apartment but they usually cost upward of $300, assuming you get a mid range model with seat heating, self cleaning mechanism, front and back squirters, blow drier and odour buster.

For anybody with any type of gastro-intestinal unease, they are a godsend. I have a toto s300. I don't need all the bells and whistles, but the ability to change the water pressure and temp is key to my health.  I seriously don't know how people can live without these once they've tried them. If I have to poo at work (rare) I go home to do my business or at least to finish my business.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 07:38:32 AM »

[/list]Let's suppose you use one toilet paper roll per week on the main toilet in your house. I think that this is pretty conservative, but maybe I'm wrong. My wife does the shopping, but searching online suggests that a quarter per roll is pretty good. So call it a conservative $13/y on toilet paper.

Think about it.

If that's really your motivation to save $13/yr of TP than skip the TP and bidet entirely.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2547585/Could-YOU-live-without-toilet-paper-Meet-women-choose-wipe-reusable-piece-cloth-instead.html

If you want to be badass you might as well be BADASS! ;)

-- Vik

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 09:06:45 AM »
    What if you poop on the spout and then it sprays it back at you?

Most bidets are at least a totally separate piece, not part of the primary toilet.  Then it would be more then $35 though.

i stayed at a hotel that had them once, it was pretty sweet.  its not a financial decision though, its a "you are too lazy to wipe your..." decision.

LOL well the stream is quite focused. Hopefully not too much collateral damage. Also, you have a button to turn it on and it extends out from it's bidet-cave to get the job done.

I see the decision to get a Japanese bidet similar to the decision to get an electric toothbrush. You can do the job manually, but you get a better clean with technology.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 07:03:59 PM »
    If that's really your motivation to save $13/yr of TP than skip the TP and bidet entirely.
    It's not my primary motivation, but it is among the side benefits.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
      • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
    « Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 06:22:27 AM »
    How do you think paper is made?

That's a good point - paper-making is definitely a water-heavy industry. But paper is not generally made in water-scarce regions (which makes sense, because trees don't usually grow so well in water-scarce regions).

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 11:46:48 PM »
    To be honest if your water usage from a bidet is high enough to be significant as part of your overall bill or usage, you are doing a pretty damn good job. Also, might I recommend taking a shower sometime. :P

Learned another benefit today. If you're having digestive problems because, say, you ate tainted meat, cleaning up is dramatically less painful with a bidet the four or fifth time you visit the restroom.

TMI and all, but I want to make the strongest case I can here. This is really some of the best $30 I've ever spent. I would say if you count intangibles we've already broken even.

To the person who was asking about getting poop on the bidet, you'd clean it just the same way you clean the rest of the toilet. While not in use, this one is retracted, though, so you'd need to be pooping at a fairly creative angle to hit it.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
    • So much technology, so little talent.
    « Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 01:22:46 AM »
    Alright, this is a little uncouth, but we're all adults here.

Really consider getting a bidet. They
      They are great fun to introduce to your less sophisticated friends.

http://nowaygirl.com/photos/why-are-the-drinking-fountains-so-short-in-europe/[/list]

meekler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
      « Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 12:08:52 AM »

For anybody with any type of gastro-intestinal unease, they are a godsend. I have a toto s300. I don't need all the bells and whistles, but the ability to change the water pressure and temp is key to my health.  I seriously don't know how people can live without these once they've tried them. If I have to poo at work (rare) I go home to do my business or at least to finish my business.

Sorry for old post but was searching for toto s300 and found your post. I've been deciding between the toto s300 and this one. But looking for the one with the strongest pressure :/ How is the toto in terms of pressure?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
      « Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 07:30:18 PM »
      There is a range of settings you can use.  When I'm done with a #2, first I use the wide spray to make sure I get the whole area, then I use the narrow spray, move to the farthest back setting, on the highest pressure, then oscillate.  Sometimes that can get a little too strong, like a waterpik.  Pressure is NOT a problem, and sometimes I sort of use it like a mini-enema.  By the time I'm done, I can shit clear water. 

Sorry, TMI, but it helps to know

dilinger

• Bristles
      « Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »
      I bought a few bidets from bluebidet.com about 5 years ago.  People who come to stay with me are at first amused by the novelty (and toilet humor), and then they later tell me in confidence that they bought one for themselves and can't go back to TP.  This has happened many times!

You feel so much less gross when your butt is actually, y'know, clean.  I no longer feel the need to shower daily.  My wife would complain about the lack of bidet at her work, so she got a little portable one that fills up at the sink.

I live in a city with the highest or second highest water/sewer rates in the US.  The actual water usage is tiny compared to a shower or the dishwasher (or my 3yo running the sink for 20 minutes while washing his hands - sigh).

The bidet gets cleaned when we clean the toilet.  You know how your toilet gets nasty if you don't scrub it on occasion?  Well, you just scrub the bidet as well.  Unfortunately, there are hard-to-reach spots on the model I have, but that's also true of the toilet itself.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
      « Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 09:28:54 PM »

Sorry for old post but was searching for toto s300 and found your post. I've been deciding between the toto s300 and this one. But looking for the one with the strongest pressure :/ How is the toto in terms of pressure?

Check the reviews on Amazon. They are very detailed and you can ask questions to more users of both models. There was a lot of info in those reviews and details I hadn't even thought to ask.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
      « Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 09:30:11 AM »
      My grand-mother used to have a small hotel style pension in a picturesque French village. Like in most European countries, the washrooms had a sink, a bathtub and a bidet. The toilet was in a separate room called the WC. I remember her amusing us kids with the same story about American soldiers during WWII visiting the area during their time off, and every day, she was getting mad at them because she had the unpleasant task of scooping out poo from bidets where the soldiers had relieved themselves.

meekler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
      « Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 03:22:26 PM »

Check the reviews on Amazon. They are very detailed and you can ask questions to more users of both models. There was a lot of info in those reviews and details I hadn't even thought to ask.

Thanks, been checking Amazing for last half hour now reading everything lol.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
      « Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 03:29:45 PM »
      My grand-mother used to have a small hotel style pension in a picturesque French village. Like in most European countries, the washrooms had a sink, a bathtub and a bidet. The toilet was in a separate room called the WC. I remember her amusing us kids with the same story about American soldiers during WWII visiting the area during their time off, and every day, she was getting mad at them because she had the unpleasant task of scooping out poo from bidets where the soldiers had relieved themselves.
      Gross. I never understood on the standalone bidet how do you get from toilet to the bidet without dripping?  If you have to wipe first, what's the point, really? 

meekler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
      « Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 08:47:19 PM »
      Good question, never thought about that!

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
      « Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 09:46:25 PM »
      My toilet paper rolls have been lasting me about 3-4 weeks now since I now only need them to dry myself. Some of my friends have basically said "Ew isn't that gross?" when they learned about it. But I think a far more natural question is: If you happened to get $hit on your hands, would you wipe it a few times with dry TP and then go about your day? If the cost savings (after an initial investment of ~$30) isn't a good enough reason to switch, the improved hygiene surely is.

meekler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
      « Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 10:36:48 PM »
      Yeah that's true. It's weird some peole just think it's gross and won't even consider it.

magickelly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
      « Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 11:50:08 PM »
      Another one here. After traveling to Japan a couple of times, I couldn't go back. I was seriously considering spending $1000 on parts and installation for a Toto Washlet when I discovered this gem: http://brondell.com/spa-suite/gospa-travel-bidet.html, which is the same thing I think someone upthread said his wife brings to work. Fill it with warm water and squeeze and it does just as effective a job as the mechanical one. (Ok, you do have to use one hand to spread your butt cheeks apart, but you don't have to touch where it's dirty to do that. ;-)) I keep a towel in the bathroom dedicated for drying and there's never a thing on it - my ass is sparkling clean even after the nastiest of number 2's. I hardly ever use toilet paper but it's not about cost savings at all. One you've experienced a wash - and trust me I put off trying the Washlet for days during my first trip to Japan - you can never go back. I would sit on the toilet in Narita and savor my final wash as each trips came to an end. Toilet paper just wipes it around and ... it's just gross and repulsive to me now! Arigato gozaimasu, Nippon!

patrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
      « Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 07:47:28 AM »
      We have a bumgenius/aquaus cloth diaper sprayer, that doubles as a handheld bidet if you lower the pressure. Reading reviews suggested against getting models other than those two (which are identical). Installation is easy peezy.

Combine with some cotton flannel baby wipes and a diaper wash pail, and you have a clean, dry, paperless solution. Keep the paper for others though. This has been working well in our household. A side benefit is that our toddler likes to eat toilet paper, and this way it can be kept stored away most of the time.

For on the go or outdoors, look to the Boulder Bidet.

Its all weird to think about, until you juxtapose your butt with your hands. If you have poop on your hands, do you wipe it off with a paper towel and be on your way? No, you use water and hopefully soap.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
      « Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »
      Most washrooms have a shower head close by.  Why not just use that instead?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
      « Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 09:07:39 AM »
      Most washrooms have a shower head close by.  Why not just use that instead?

Take a full shower every time you have a BM? No thank you. If nothing else, it would dry out my skin!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
      « Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 09:44:22 AM »
      Do you take a full shower in a bidet?  Just shower off your ass.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
      « Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 02:11:48 PM »
      Do you take a full shower in a bidet?  Just shower off your ass.

Last time I checked water comes from above in a shower, and that isn't where my ass is.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
      « Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 03:18:22 PM »
      All of my showers have a head on a hose.

MLKnits

• Bristles
      « Reply #30 on: June 18, 2015, 04:20:12 PM »
      Glad to see one of the product comments addressed what would be my concern. I can't imagine this topic could be unfunny. Bidet salespeople must have a lot of laughs at work.

Okay, admittedly I have the other set of parts, but ... why would the product commenter use toilet paper to dry his (freshly washed) balls? Surely a towel makes more sense?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
      « Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 05:12:18 PM »

Okay, admittedly I have the other set of parts, but ... why would the product commenter use toilet paper to dry his (freshly washed) balls? Surely a towel makes more sense?

Mebbe a crisis of faith in the bidet?

JimLahey

• Stubble
      « Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 05:33:40 PM »
      I bought this one a few months back: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A0RHSJO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
      It's pretty amazing but you will feel disgusting when you have to poo without one. Helps prevent cases of mud butt.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
      « Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 06:02:51 PM »
      All of my showers have a head on a hose.

Odd. I wonder if that's a region/country thing. I've only seen a couple showers like that, and they were always a bit broken and saggy and awful to use. All the showers I've lived with are fixed heads.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
      « Reply #34 on: June 19, 2015, 07:58:39 PM »
      I bought this one a few months back: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A0RHSJO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
      It's pretty amazing but you will feel disgusting when you have to poo without one. Helps prevent cases of mud butt.
      In my family, we call it butt rot.

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
      « Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 02:40:25 PM »
      Never used one, but fascinating discussion. Wonder where I could try one out?

patrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
      « Reply #36 on: July 07, 2015, 06:58:31 AM »
      Never used one, but fascinating discussion. Wonder where I could try one out?

Try this:
      http://www.amazon.com/Aquaus-Diaper-Sprayer-Toilet-Certified/dp/B00QL3W5OO/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1436273786&sr=1-2&keywords=diaper+sprayer

Install is super easy. Only downside is cold water only, and be careful not to use full pressure initially. Being summer time now will help with the adjustment to cold water, since it is not so cold.

If you don't like it, easy to resell at a small loss to cloth diaper groups.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
      • Penny wise, pound foolish
      « Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 09:42:04 AM »
      I second the use of water bottle + washcloth/towel. I converted to this about a year ago (following a fight with SO about who was to buy TP lol) and I'm not going back. Now I feel disgusting when I have to use a toilet out of home.
      Now if only I could convince him to buy a Toto...

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
      « Reply #38 on: July 11, 2015, 09:28:02 AM »
      I've never used a bidet. Having only ever cleansed my nether regions with soap and water while showering/bathing, I'm trying to sort out how plain water can get you clean enough to then use (and reuse) a cloth for drying. I assume, from all the posts, that it does. Just looking for confirmation before bidet shopping. :)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
      « Reply #39 on: July 11, 2015, 10:17:51 AM »
      I've never used a bidet. Having only ever cleansed my nether regions with soap and water while showering/bathing, I'm trying to sort out how plain water can get you clean enough to then use (and reuse) a cloth for drying. I assume, from all the posts, that it does. Just looking for confirmation before bidet shopping. :)
      I feel the need to point out that when you are in a public place or in a private home, if there is a cloth hanging near a bidet, it is meant for HAND-drying (not ass-drying).  Do not use someone else's towel to dry off your privates! 

As to how does plain water get you clean enough?  well, it gets you a hell of a lot cleaner than just dry paper does.  My washlet has a dryer feature, but it takes forever, so I just use TP for drying. 

dilinger

• Bristles
      « Reply #40 on: July 11, 2015, 04:19:42 PM »

I actually use soap when using my bidet. My toilet is right next to the sink, so a bottle of Dr Bronners (baby mild) is within reach at all times.

I have a butt towel that I reuse.  My wife uses toilet paper for drying.  Either works, depending on your level of comfort/personal preference/ick factor.

dilinger

• Bristles
      « Reply #41 on: July 11, 2015, 04:22:12 PM »
      I feel the need to point out that when you are in a public place or in a private home, if there is a cloth hanging near a bidet, it is meant for HAND-drying (not ass-drying).  Do not use someone else's towel to dry off your privates! 

Toothbrushes are fair game, though.  Mm, squeaky clean!

;)

patrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
      « Reply #42 on: July 21, 2015, 09:05:35 AM »

Feel free to add some soap for extra clean. Spray first, then soap, then spray, then dry. I still recommend fresh cloth each time. Cotton flannel works great and washes well. We have these for cloth diaper wipes, and they do dual doodie. Way cheaper to DIY, but we were short on time and buying these paid off by not waiting to switch. Keep a covered bin for them next to the toilet, wash every 2-3 days on hot. http://www.amazon.com/Bumkins-Reusable-Flannel-Wipes-Natural/dp/B006J2U4T0

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
      « Reply #43 on: July 23, 2015, 12:03:47 PM »
      Have I mentioned previously that my father's family used to use corncobs?  Blue corn for the dirty work and a white cob for finishing up.  If the white cob came out dirty, they needed to use another Blue Cob. 

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
      « Reply #44 on: July 23, 2015, 01:48:44 PM »
      Have I mentioned previously that my father's family used to use corncobs?  Blue corn for the dirty work and a white cob for finishing up.  If the white cob came out dirty, they needed to use another Blue Cob.
      Now you've got me wondering where your father's family lived...in the US? And when was this??

davidw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
      « Reply #45 on: July 23, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »
      I think there's a bit of confusion between bidets and toilets with water cleaning mechanisms.  The former are used in Europe, and used in place of a shower, not in place of TP.  The latter are - as far as I know - Japanese and used in lieu (loo? sorry...) of toilet paper.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
      « Reply #46 on: July 23, 2015, 06:05:47 PM »

My grandparents had a big basket of corn cobs sitting in their outhouse. I'd hoped, even as a child, that they were a joke, but I'll have to ask my father to be sure now.

Rural Deep South, US, for the curious.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
      « Reply #47 on: July 24, 2015, 06:44:46 AM »

My grandparents had a big basket of corn cobs sitting in their outhouse. I'd hoped, even as a child, that they were a joke, but I'll have to ask my father to be sure now.

Those are no joke. My dad grew up in New Jersey, on a farm, with an outhouse for 10 kids and two adults.  They had two baskets for blue and white cobs.   My dad was born in 1933, but they had running water in the house by the late 40's. So he was a teenager still using the corn cob method.
      His sisters were twenty years older than him, and the Sears catalogs were saved for the girls to use for #1 and other monthly needs.  Nothing went to waste on that farm.
      I saw the outhouse, but by the time I saw it, it was no longer in use and had been tipped over Into the compost field (I'm using that term loosely because by that time, it was no longer a working farm and the outhouse had been tipped out of hatred for it). It still had a door with a moon cut out. I'm sure for the most part that the kids would have held in as much as possible until they got to school, because they did all go to school.
      It still amazes me that we're really only one generation away from the times when driving your buggy was considered the norm. (And I'm not that old!).

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
      « Reply #48 on: July 24, 2015, 06:54:14 AM »
      I think there's a bit of confusion between bidets and toilets with water cleaning mechanisms.  The former are used in Europe, and used in place of a shower, not in place of TP.  The latter are - as far as I know - Japanese and used in lieu (loo? sorry...) of toilet paper.
      I think the words are used interchangeably now.   Mine is called a combination toilet/bidet or referred to as a washlet.
      Is there a reason to restrict the use of the word bidet?  Is there another purpose for it that we wouldn't want to associate with poo? 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
      « Reply #49 on: July 24, 2015, 06:56:48 AM »

Those are no joke. My dad grew up in New Jersey, on a farm, with an outhouse for 10 kids and two adults.  They had two baskets for blue and white cobs.   My dad was born in 1933, but they had running water in the house by the late 40's. So he was a teenager still using the corn cob method.
      His sisters were twenty years older than him, and the Sears catalogs were saved for the girls to use for #1 and other monthly needs.  Nothing went to waste on that farm.
      I saw the outhouse, but by the time I saw it, it was no longer in use and had been tipped over Into the compost field (I'm using that term loosely because by that time, it was no longer a working farm and the outhouse had been tipped out of hatred for it). It still had a door with a moon cut out. I'm sure for the most part that the kids would have held in as much as possible until they got to school, because they did all go to school.
      It still amazes me that we're really only one generation away from the times when driving your buggy was considered the norm. (And I'm not that old!).

I know how you feel. I've personally used the Sears catalog in that outhouse; I knew it was no joke. Dried-out corn cobs would be no joke, either, if applied improperly!

They had running water by my time, but my father grew up mostly without. The outhouse was still there for outages and family reunions by my time (11 kids make for big gatherings).

It's weird to think about and it isn't at the same time, which I guess just makes it weirder. I've personally carried water from the spring down the hill to this house during an outage. Woodstove at grandmas was normal, not weird, and now I know how to cook on mine. But I do very much like indoor plumbing in the winter! And drains. Drains are much more important than faucets.