Author Topic: Get $150 to Open Bank Account + $500 Credit Card Manufactured Spending  (Read 8354 times)

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/santander-150-checking-bonus/

TL;DR: Get $150 for opening a checking account (and do a direct deposit), and fund it with up to $500 from a credit card (say for meeting minimum spending).
If you are a couple, that's $300 cash and $1000 of manufactured spending (for whatever that might be worth to you) for a few minutes work. Not too bad.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Get $150 to Open Bank Account + $500 Credit Card Manufactured Spending
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 06:20:00 AM »
Santander is a good one, I got the bonus last year and I just signed my wife up for it last week.  You have to send back a signature card in the mail and the website is a bit clunky, but they pay the bonus which is all I care about.

Another offer popular on Reddit right now is the Wells Fargo $250 offer: https://www.wellsfargo.com/jump/checking/everyday-special/

All it requires is a minimum initial deposit of $25 (you can load up to $50 with a credit card), and 10 debit transactions to get $250.  To keep it fee free, you need one of the following: 10 debit transactions/month, $500 or more of direct deposits, or a $1500 balance.  You can then close it as soon as the bonus posts.  I plan to buy a bunch of $0.50 Amazon gift cards until the bonus posts.

I should add that this was initially shown to be a targeted offer, but it did mention the bonus at the end up my application.  I'd say the chance of this one not paying out is slightly great than 0%, but probably still worth a try.

Another one is available for people in Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota only with Associated Bank

https://www.associatedbank.com/wild150

This is a great one because you can load it with $200 with a credit card.  To get the $150 bonus, all you need to do is either make 3 online bill pays or have a direct deposit of $300+ within 45 days.  A $1,000 balance will waive any fees.

However, as a data point, I signed both my wife and I up for this offer on December 20th and immediately set up 3 bill pays directly back to my credit card.  As soon as the first bill pay (Dec. 26th) cleared I received the bonus.  I let the other two bill pays go through and then closed the accounts because there is no early termination fee.  We will then be eligible to open them again in 60 days.  I am going to try to get this bonus 4 times this year for each of us, so an easy $1200.

Here are the Doctor of Credit posts for these accounts that show all details and requirements:

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/targeted-wells-fargo-250-checking-bonus-available-online-direct-deposit-not-required/

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/il-mn-va-wi-only-associated-bank-150-promotion-when-you-open-a-packers-checking-account-no-direct-deposit-required/

I am shooting for $3,000+ in checking bonuses this year, so I am constantly on the lookout for these.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:24:06 AM by kpd905 »

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 11:30:03 AM »
What happens if your Chase Sapphire Reserve has a cash advance limit of $100? How will the $500 in credit card funding work?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 06:30:00 PM »
What happens if your Chase Sapphire Reserve has a cash advance limit of $100? How will the $500 in credit card funding work?

When they say credit card funding, that means it rings up as a purchase and not a cash advance. You do not want a cash advance, you want a purchase.
You should set your cash advance to zero just in case.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 08:33:08 PM »

When they say credit card funding, that means it rings up as a purchase and not a cash advance. You do not want a cash advance, you want a purchase.

The Chase Sapphire Reserve only lets you lower the cash advance limit to $100. So I'm trying to understand if I did $500 in credit card funding, if it would recognize it all as a purchase or if $100 would be considered a cash advance?

smacpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 07:12:13 AM »
I just did this Discover online savings one - moved my emergency fund over to earn the bonus.

http://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/discover-bank-online-savings-review/

Bonus pays out on 2/28 and then you can close it.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 07:51:24 AM »
Chase has their $300/$200 offer available again, but you need to be a Chase member to get this, and you need to go in branch to open it.  You can get these bonuses once per calendar year, as long as it has been at least 3 months since you closed your previous accounts.

https://www.chase.com/customer/rb_acquisition_284_xlob12051?ID=0000019253&jp_aid_a=65777482&jp_aid_p=chasehome_3/trip1

Requirements:

Receive a bonus of $300 when you open a Chase Total checking account with $25 or more and have a direct deposit post to the account within 60 days

Receive a bonus of $200 when you open a Chase savings account and deposit $15,000 or more in new money within 10 business days and maintain a balance of $15,000 for 90 days

Avoiding Fees:

The Chase Savings Account comes with a monthly service fee of $5. Monthly fee is waived with any ONE of the following:

Keep a minimum daily balance of $300 or more
Have at least one repeating automatic transfer from your Chase checking account of $25 or more; one time transfers do not qualify
Have a linked Chase Premier Plus Checking, Chase Premier Platinum Checking, or Chase Private Client Checking account
Checking Account

The Chase Total Checking account comes with a monthly service fee of $10-$12 which is waived if complete any of the following:

Have monthly direct deposits totaling $500 or more
Keep a minimum daily balance of $1,500 or more in the checking account
Keep an average daily balance of $5,000 or more in any combination of qualifying Chase checking, savings and other balances

If you close either account within 6 months of account opening, you will forfeit the bonus.

renata

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 09:06:22 PM »
Hi as far as the 10 debit card transactions within 60 days of account opening to get the WF $250bonus (example:Amazon.com 10 times .50c gift cards) can you buy them all at once or do you have to "spread" the transactions over 60 days? Thanks

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 11:11:30 PM »

The Chase Sapphire Reserve only lets you lower the cash advance limit to $100. So I'm trying to understand if I did $500 in credit card funding, if it would recognize it all as a purchase or if $100 would be considered a cash advance?

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/does-funding-a-bank-account-with-a-credit-card-count-as-a-purchase-or-cash-advance/

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 01:47:47 PM »
Looking at about $1500 in bonuses right now, $1650 including referrals. I've had some success with looking for regional offers instead of just going for the larger national banks.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 08:58:21 PM »
Chase has their $300/$200 offer available again, but you need to be a Chase member to get this, and you need to go in branch to open it.  You can get these bonuses once per calendar year, as long as it has been at least 3 months since you closed your previous accounts.

https://www.chase.com/customer/rb_acquisition_284_xlob12051?ID=0000019253&jp_aid_a=65777482&jp_aid_p=chasehome_3/trip1

kpd905 or anyone who knows:

Have you done the Chase business banking bonus?  Does it require an EIN and LLC / Corp papers?  It looks like they require something even if you're a DBA.

Thanks for any info!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 05:28:17 PM »
I have never done a business bonus.  Hopefully someone else can chime in.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 06:21:49 PM »

Sometimes it's rejected and sometimes the $500 will automagically become a purchase if the cash advance limit is too low. I've never heard of a split  like you suggested ($400 coded as a purchase, $100 coded as a cash advance). Try it and create a datapoint.

Really, it's easier to use the correct card with the correct bank, per the DOC data.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 08:18:18 PM »
The chase sapphire reserve worked in that situation.

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 07:58:14 AM »
I already had Wells Fargo on DW's name. And I applied for one on my name. I used my Chase Southwest CC for the initial deposit and it posted as purchase. Sadly, they only allowed $50 to be funded with a CC. Better than nothing I guess. It is at least $50 worth of MS. :-)