Author Topic: Gadgets & Gizmos Supporting Frugality  (Read 22841 times)

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Gadgets & Gizmos Supporting Frugality
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2015, 10:44:52 AM »
Air popper for popcorn.  Thought of it tonight as we used it. Our popper has to be at least 20+ years old and works like a charm. Popcorn is our go to snack at night so it gets used quite frequently.

I have a cheap air popper I got from the thrift store for $2 but I use it not to make popcorn but to roast green coffee beans.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2015, 11:42:46 AM »
I'm reviving this for Christmas time! I have a hard time when people ask me what I want for a gift, and if I ask for alcohol anymore people will start getting worried.

I want to bump this list in case it gives anyone else any ideas =)

I'll be asking for a kitchen scale this year at the recommendation of this list! Possibly an air popper too, although I do love my coconut-oil popped popcorn...

My parents have the same issue. I decided to start getting them tickets to theatre/concerts/sport events/whatever is happening in the near future. They're trying to downsize so I wanted to avoid giving them more stuff.

I both love giving and receiving useful presents. I'm always torn on the tickets front- I have loved receiving them as presents in the past, but I feel presumptuous when I want to buy for a relative who I know is busy. How do you approach that?

Don't do it. Once we bought a theater subscription and my husband proceeded to get so much work in actual theatrical productions that we saw only two shows in the subscription. What about a gift certificate to a nice restaurant instead?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2015, 11:51:57 AM »
I'm reviving this for Christmas time! I have a hard time when people ask me what I want for a gift, and if I ask for alcohol anymore people will start getting worried.

I'll be asking for a kitchen scale this year at the recommendation of this list! Possibly an air popper too, although I do love my coconut-oil popped popcorn...

My parents have the same issue. I decided to start getting them tickets to theatre/concerts/sport events/whatever is happening in the near future. They're trying to downsize so I wanted to avoid giving them more stuff.

I both love giving and receiving useful presents. I'm always torn on the tickets front- I have loved receiving them as presents in the past, but I feel presumptuous when I want to buy for a relative who I know is busy. How do you approach that?

Don't do it. Once we bought a theater subscription and my husband proceeded to get so much work in actual theatrical productions that we saw only two shows in the subscription. What about a gift certificate to a nice restaurant instead?

I've tried in the past. My parents and siblings only eat fast food, they hate restaurants. And I'm morally opposed to giving someone a Burger King gift card =\ Maybe for the in-laws though.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2015, 01:49:17 PM »

I've tried in the past. My parents and siblings only eat fast food, they hate restaurants. And I'm morally opposed to giving someone a Burger King gift card =\ Maybe for the in-laws though.
Kind of depends on what kind of thing you're buying for. For example, I'm buying a 'package' of tickets that basically amounts to a gift certificate that they can use to buy tickets they were going to buy anyways for my Dad. For my mom, I know she loves to do/see new stuff and is more flexible, so I'm going to get something we can do together close to the holiday.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2015, 02:34:31 PM »
One year my dad gave us all high-end LED lightbulbs in our stockings. I liked that year.

sanderh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »
Wahl hair clippers. This purchase actually got me started on this whole money saving way of life. After giving myself my first haircut, I looked at almost every purchase as completely insane because I just cut my own hair to save money. Best $40 I've ever spent.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZMAL2U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Seconded. But I paid about $25.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2018, 02:24:27 PM »
French press
Quicken to keep track of all my accounts
As mentioned, a home tool kit is great
Internet for research
Toaster oven is so much nicer than turning on the full size oven.

AliInKY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2018, 07:49:30 PM »
Outdoor HDTV Antenna

Could you share more about this?

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2018, 12:18:15 PM »
Air popper for popcorn.  Thought of it tonight as we used it. Our popper has to be at least 20+ years old and works like a charm. Popcorn is our go to snack at night so it gets used quite frequently.

I have a cheap air popper I got from the thrift store for $2 but I use it not to make popcorn but to roast green coffee beans.

That's brilliant!
I've been wanting to roast my own coffee forever but only found a way to roast the green beans in a cast iron skillet.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2018, 07:41:35 PM »

That's brilliant!
I've been wanting to roast my own coffee forever but only found a way to roast the green beans in a cast iron skillet.

Some folks actually suggest nesting the air popper in the cast-iron skillet to keep the heat more even and less likely to burn the beans, but experiment and see what works for you. YMMV and all that.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2018, 09:49:32 AM »
I’m a big fan of several kitchen gadgets:

Electric pressure cooker: this thing does a beautiful job with dried beans, brown rice, and inexpensive beef and pork roasts. It’s been a frugality game-changer for us.

Electric water kettle, coffee grinder, and pour-over carafe: there’s no reason to drink coffee not made at home. Ours is so much tastier.

Vacuum sealer: so great for breaking down bulk packs of meat, cheese, and grains for home storage.

In-sink water filtration tap: our municipal water is safe but chlorinated; we replace this filter every 6 months for $40 a pop and have great-tasting water out of a tap all the time.