Author Topic: Gadgets & Gizmos Supporting Frugality  (Read 22839 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Gadgets & Gizmos Supporting Frugality
« on: April 07, 2015, 01:16:14 PM »
These items help me save money by reducing waste:

* Battery tester: Never throw away a charged battery again!
* Food scale and/or postal scale (OXO digital model): Pay precise amounts for postage, bake by weight instead of volume, weigh garden harvest
* Funnels (stainless steel from restaurant supply store): Combine small amounts of liquid into one bottle, store soups and stuff in jars
* Squeeze-its: Get every last bit out of the tube

What other gadgets or gizmos do you find useful in your frugal household?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:08:55 PM by jengod »

cjottawa

• Stubble
Re: Gadgets & Gizmos Supporting Frugality
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 02:46:07 PM »
Great idea!

Mine: soldering iron.

I use this regularly but here's the latest project: replacing the soldered AA-battery in my electric toothbrush as it had lost the ability to take a charge.

Here are the instructions:
http://toothbrushbattery.com/guides/braun-oral-b-vitality-battery-replacement/

(not mine - I just followed the guide)

Oh, previous project was soldering up the wire harness for my new car stereo. Saved a few dollars versus hiring someone to install it.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 01:04:43 PM »
Oh, thought of another one. Blender! We happen to have a Magic Bullet, but any will do. Reduces food waste dramatically: I can clear out little bits of fruit and veg left in a fridge and pulverize them into a yummy smoothie.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:09:22 PM by jengod »

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 06:23:43 PM »
OK... WHY IS THIS THREAD NOT EXPLODING WITH REPLIES?!

*shakes head*

Other suggestions:

Wet/dry vac. This great for cleaning your car or spills around the house - saves on having a professional do it.

3/8" corded drill. Never lets me down, never needs to have batteries charged.

Dremel rotary tool with flex shaft and accessory kit. Like the soldering iron, this has been a great tool for "hacking" stuff, fixing broken things, modifying stuff to make it work better and so forth.

Basically, a well equipped tool kit would be the general idea here.

Not so much a gadget but I have a bunch of matching Rubbermaid containers that I use for lunches. I typically cook a week or two in advance, freeze all but one and just take one out of the freezer each morning. No waste.

EDIT - I forgot about this: NiMH rechargeable batteries. Specifically, MAHA/PowerEx brand, with fast charger. They make AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt. The latest variety don't discharge very much while in storage and they have very high capacity. There's really little excuse to use disposables around the house, though I do still keep disposables in the car for use with flashlights, knowing they have a shelf life of 10-years.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:45:44 PM by cjottawa »

h2ogal

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 06:31:05 PM »
Sewing Machine is my fave gadget for savings.  Everything from Halloween costumes to slip covers for old furniture.

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 09:06:06 AM »
Digital camera, laptop, printer, Internet, forums (for fixing/hacking/reviewing all the things).

Wow, I wish MMM was around 25 years ago when I was starting out.

humblefi

• Stubble
    • Humble FI
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 10:37:16 AM »
A huge money saver for us has been a Plumbing Snake. Paid $20 in Lowes and it has more than returned its worth in a HUGE way.
http://www.wikihow.com/Unclog-a-Toilet....look for step 4 for the picture.

Use-and-throw coffee cups. When the dishes are not done, instead of paying $4 for coffee outside, pay $4 for 12 cups and take coffee from home.
Big money saver for those who need coffee in the morning.

+1 for the Magic bullet idea...too many uses to list here.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 12:42:17 PM »
Drills: My preference is a Bosch Li-ion cordless. I've used both corded and and (NiMH or NiCad)  cordless models in the past, and neither had the combination of convenience and reliability that made me actually *want* to use it on projects. Which my Bosch Li--ion does.

Snow White

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 11:30:58 AM »
Crockpot.  It's perfect for avoiding the impulse to eat out when you are tired or rushed.  There are thousands of crock recipes on the Internet for free so it is easy to identify a dozen or so favorites to fall back on.  A bonus is the great smells in your kitchen when you come home to food waiting for you.

No-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 07:32:18 PM »
Food processor and blender - I wouldn't eat a lot of the healthy things I do if I had to shred a pound of carrots on a box grater.

I'm drawing a blank right now for other stuff. I do need to get one of those baby wet/vacs for my apt. Just in case....

Jenni

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 06:49:16 PM »
A half sheet pan for roasting vegetables. Potatoes, carrots, broccoli, asparagus- all delicious and my family will eat things like broccoli so much better.

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 07:58:42 AM »
- Good quality basic kitchen tools. Having decent cookware is essential to sustainable home cooking. I'm not talking about Yuppiechef crap like microplane graters (although I wouldn't sneeze at one if it arrived in the form of a gift but you know what I mean right...). I mean things like large cast iron pots, a set of cutting boards, heavy non-stick hardcore frying pans, a good quality blender/mixer with a dough hook, baking trays and bread tins, casserole dishes, crockpot, and most crucially a sharp kitchen knife that you regularly maintain (even one good knife is enough, but I really believe it's worth spending extra and doing some research over).

- A coffee machine and plunger. Again, it's worth spending extra on a nice plunger. It pays back in dividends.

- A double fridge/freezer. One monthly shop and small fill-ups after that is key.

crazycatlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 07:10:28 PM »
My Sweater Stone.  I got it in 1986 while still in high school and it is one of my prize possessions.  It works great for removing pill on wool sweaters and blankets.

Zip it tool for quickly clearing out sink drains.

Kitchen Aid mixer, although it does make it too easy for me to make baked goods.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 10:06:12 PM »
Pressure washer.    Realized wash services wanted $300 or so to handle basic maintenance annually so put $400 into an electric one with good nozzles and overall "PSI" rating and it's awesome and has paid for itself more than 5X over!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 11:41:11 PM »
For anyone who gardens, a small jar of rooting hormone. Propagating plants from cuttings is possible without rooting hormone, but there is a very high level of difficulty. With a $6 jar of rooting hormone, you can save hundreds spent on starts and seedlings.

dunlar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 08:30:38 PM »
Sharpie marker with a neodymium magnet hot glued to it.  Stick to the fridge and date the lid of every jar that is opened.

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 09:25:21 PM »

Sharpie marker with a neodymium magnet hot glued to it.  Stick to the fridge and date the lid of every jar that is opened.

Huh, how does this work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kgoodguitar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 08:22:19 PM »
~250 piece good-quality tool kit.  This was one of my first tool purchases at 18 or so, and it (along with plenty of car-fixing upbringing and help from my much more knowledgeable brothers, father, and various reddit people) has allowed me to save thousands on car repairs.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 08:45:48 PM »
+1 to the crockpot

Maybe not for most people, but for me, my stick blender. I make a lot of mayo, hollandaise, salad dressing, etc

Oil pan. Change your own dang oil ;) We live in a high rise and still change our own oil. Although we do get funny looks for it. (Totally allowed though, we checked our rental agreement).

Drying rack for clothing. Ironically, I don't own this yet. I've been hanging things on chairs and stools for a few years now, and keep telling myself I'll get a drying rack. They're like $20. I should just.... do that. And then be able to sit down for dinner, even on laundry day.

Trail pass. I have an annual trail permit, so I never have to worry about having cash on hand for trail fees. Means it's more convenient to do "free" (except for gas) outdoor activities, and ends up cheaper overall with how often we go.

Coffee grinder. I can buy larger quantities of coffee at once, and grind them fresh. It lets me buy more in bulk, ie cheaper per unit, and still have it be fresh. I buy from a coffee roaster that usually sells to businesses, but sells to public too if you come in and pick it up.

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 10:29:37 PM »

+1 to the crockpot

Maybe not for most people, but for me, my stick blender. I make a lot of mayo, hollandaise, salad dressing, etc

Yup love the stick blender

Drying rack for clothing. Ironically, I don't own this yet. I've been hanging things on chairs and stools for a few years now, and keep telling myself I'll get a drying rack. They're like $20. I should just.... do that. And then be able to sit down for dinner, even on laundry day.

Do it! We run one line across the back of the garage wall and one normal stand up drying rack and one big one that was installed outside in the front. We let a fan run overnight to dry the clothes indoors in cold weather. We hardly touch the dryer even with a hectic laundry load (cloth nappies etc) which is why I suspect our electricity bill is so low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2015, 08:03:00 AM »
Tent repair tape, sold in camping stores. Not a gadget really. Fixes knapsacks, luggage etc.

Zip ties! Instant key rings, zipper pulls etc.
Oh, actually split key rings AS zipper pulls. On luggage etc.

Saddle soap. Preserve leather shoes. Also silicon or other waterproofing. Make good boots last decades.

+1 to clothes racks, lines etc. if you can think 24 hrs ahead you don't have much use for an electricity hogging dryer. iKEA has good folding racks, not the fussy wood ones, the Euro style metal ones.
+1 to a good tool kit . .  For bikes. Keep those rolling forever for hardly any cost.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 09:48:08 AM »
My computer.  First step of any DIY is to look it up on the net.  That gives me the courage to try all kinds of things I would never do without seeing somebody else do it first.

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 06:00:25 AM »
My computer.  First step of any DIY is to look it up on the net.  That gives me the courage to try all kinds of things I would never do without seeing somebody else do it first.

This! I think we can all agree on that. :)

I was watching a TV series, "Halt and Catch Fire," about the race to build IBM clones in the early 80s.

A character sets another character straight about why they were building the machine: "Computers aren’t the thing. They’re the thing that gets us to the thing."

It's a gateway to a universe of human knowledge.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 06:06:34 AM by cjottawa »

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 06:28:27 AM »
I switched from k-cups to pour-overs. The product itself is cheap, but it makes GOOD coffee, and similar in concept to a k-cup where you're only making one cup at a time and it only takes a minute or so of effort on my part. I buy whole bean coffee from my local coffee shop, which is a bit more expensive at 12-15 dollars a pound, but I get a lot more cups per pound when compared to k-cups.

I have an electric kettle that I've had for ages and this
http://www.amazon.com/Hario-VDC-02W-Ceramic-Coffee-Dripper/dp/B000P4D5HG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431951717&sr=8-2&keywords=pour+over+coffee

metastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 02:02:39 PM »
Wahl hair clippers. This purchase actually got me started on this whole money saving way of life. After giving myself my first haircut, I looked at almost every purchase as completely insane because I just cut my own hair to save money. Best $40 I've ever spent.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZMAL2U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 12:32:10 AM »
Wahl hair clippers. This purchase actually got me started on this whole money saving way of life. After giving myself my first haircut, I looked at almost every purchase as completely insane because I just cut my own hair to save money. Best $40 I've ever spent.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZMAL2U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've got an internal blockage against those but it's probably just a prejudice against anything sold in infomercials. I'd like to try, I wonder what kind of haircut they can give. We currently pay about R300 ($25)/month on cuts for the family so it would be great to bring that down.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 01:08:55 AM »
Electrolux Assistant (not a typo) -- I've been running this bread mixer for over 10 years now. It handles 20 cups of flour with ease ... so I can make 5 loaves of bread at a time. Though its initial price is steep, it has paid for itself 3x over with the savings in healthy, homemade bread from fresh ground flour. It also mixes up cookie doughs, cake batters, etc and comes with a special bowl and whisk beaters for whipping cream.

http://www.breadbeckers.com/store/pc/Ankarsrum-Original-Kitchen-Machine-AKM-6220MW-Mineral-White-Mixer-w-FREE-Shipping-p3322.htm

Katsplaying

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 08:28:06 AM »
Maybe not all that Mustachian but I love my Neato robot vac. It runs every afternoon before I get home from work and I am kind of grossed out by how much it picks up (I thought I kept a pretty damn clean house). I have 2 cats & a parrot who make a lot more mess than I realized. Still use the regular vac before I mop but as daily maintenance, it does a nice job.

+1 for crockpot & cooking ahead with crazy numbers of freezer containers for individual servings (also keeps portions well-controlled)

Aero-latte for mixing drinks in the cup (can fake a steamed milk latte with nuked-warm milk & coffee)

Downy ball distributes liquid softener in the washer so no need for stinky awful dryer sheets; goes along with air fluff for hang-dried clothes softens and knocks out the wrinkles.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 08:45:53 AM »
Decent set of 18-10 stainless cookware
Magic bullet for smoothies and turning oats into flour
Freezer for storing garden produce and bulk meat purchase
Equipment to make homemade wine
Laundry drying rack and mini clothesline in the bathtub
Rain barrels with connected soaker hoses

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2015, 12:08:53 AM »
Air popper for popcorn.  Thought of it tonight as we used it. Our popper has to be at least 20+ years old and works like a charm. Popcorn is our go to snack at night so it gets used quite frequently.

jacksonvasey

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 11:19:03 PM »
Cordless electric kettle for boiling water for whatever (tea/coffee water, rice water, warming up the kiddie pool a bit).  It has an auto-shutoff too, for when I forget I turned it on.
Big rear basket on my bike, lets me throw my backpack in or carry found items, easily (lots of tools fall from cars/trucks in my area). Got it on clearance at wal mart because most people don't want to look ridiculous, having a basket on their bike.
I have the Dork Sous Vide temperature-controlled outlet for my slow cooker, which lets you set a constant temp on your slow cooker (mainly use it for making yogurt, used to cook meat with it when we had a 2 month old and couldn't bear to cook most nights)
Kiddie pool on my 2nd floor deck, we put 1-2" of water in and DD splashes in it, after it rains or the water gets gross I siphon the water onto the compost heap or the garden.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 06:43:53 PM »
Deep freezer
Crock pot
Shoe goo (best stuff ever)
Pressure cooker
Treadle sewing machine
Countertop convection oven (uses less power and goes outside in summer to avoid heating the house)
Dehydrator, though I usually use cookie sheets in a closed car these days
Compressor
Any number of tools

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 06:54:45 PM »
Apple TV.

One tiny device (which we received for Christmas) allows us to stream paid content (Netflix) or free content (sport, ABC Iview, YouTube, etc) to our TV.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2015, 12:52:30 PM »
+1 pressure cooker, crockpot and pour over coffee filter-way cheaper than pods or an expensive coffee machine

#1 saver - clothesline - Florida sunshine will do the trick, we don't even own a dryer and honestly don't miss it. Dryers are hard on your clothes too - so not only do we save on electricity but our clothes last longer. Bonus:)

#2 - hand operated slicer for potatoes and veggies - love that thing, makes short work of slicing cucumbers to perfection, make carrot or veggie curls, but mostly I like that it evenly slices raw potatoes. Great for a raw veggie salad, I have that attachment which does the shavings too.

#3 - a good quality knife and scissor sharpener.

#4 - vacuum sealed - push down top canisters for storing coffee beans, really works and preserves the freshness of the coffee beans.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2015, 10:50:44 AM »
I second some already mentioned: Wahl clipper, crock pot, rice cooker (got it free... not sure I would bother otherwise), stick blender.

If you stretch the definition of "gizmo" a little, cast iron frypan and proper chef's knife beat the hell out of any of the things I mentioned already.

I'm pretty sure my "want" gizmo list should include a pressure cooker and an old-school manual meat grinder.

BayIslandSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2015, 11:02:51 AM »
Outdoor HDTV Antenna

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2015, 03:56:13 PM »
I second some already mentioned: Wahl clipper, crock pot, rice cooker (got it free... not sure I would bother otherwise), stick blender.

If you stretch the definition of "gizmo" a little, cast iron frypan and proper chef's knife beat the hell out of any of the things I mentioned already.

I'm pretty sure my "want" gizmo list should include a pressure cooker and an old-school manual meat grinder.

Look for that meat grinder in thrift stores (maybe in rural areas particularly). They commonly turn up around here. If they weren't so heavy and Canada so far away, I'd offer to send you one; I have two and stand to inherit another. Alas, though, it would cost more than the grinder is worth to ship one there.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2015, 05:04:05 PM »
Look for that meat grinder in thrift stores (maybe in rural areas particularly). They commonly turn up around here. If they weren't so heavy and Canada so far away, I'd offer to send you one; I have two and stand to inherit another. Alas, though, it would cost more than the grinder is worth to ship one there.
These get snapped up from our thrift store.  We found ours (cast iron, no less) on one of our garage sale wanderings.  Had all the attachments, too.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2015, 05:53:06 PM »
May I ask what you folks use a meat grinder for ... ok, well I know that you use it to grind meat but what kind of meat, and what do you do with it after you grind it??

Thanks! Enquiring minds want to know!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2015, 06:11:09 PM »
May I ask what you folks use a meat grinder for ... ok, well I know that you use it to grind meat but what kind of meat, and what do you do with it after you grind it??

Venison burgers and venison chili.

Editing: I forgot sausage.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2015, 08:52:39 PM »

Hash, and anything else we want to grind up.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »

What I *would* use it for is mostly ground meat (ground pork is twice the price of pork shoulder here), but I'm pretty sure I would get into sausage making if I had the right attachments. Sausage. Mmmm.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2015, 08:30:56 AM »

Thanks for the thought! Maybe I need to check out thrift stores and yard sales when I'm in the south.

Actually, yeah, why not? I bet thrift stores in different areas get totally different stuff, and it would be an interesting way to "be local" for a little while when I'm on vacation. I'm on this!

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2015, 11:48:45 AM »

Thanks for the thought! Maybe I need to check out thrift stores and yard sales when I'm in the south.

Actually, yeah, why not? I bet thrift stores in different areas get totally different stuff, and it would be an interesting way to "be local" for a little while when I'm on vacation. I'm on this!
We walked into a church thrift store in Virginia about 25 years ago and found that they had just put out their sweaters for the winter.  Bought several at 50 cents each.  The last one wore out last year.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2015, 03:04:01 PM »
Channel Master (brand) DVR+ (model) DVR that records shows from (FREE) broadcast, over-the-air TV (with an antenna).
Allowed me to drop DI$H and their rental DVR.  Paid for itself in a few months. 
I've watched a lot of classic movies, as there are a couple channels with just old shows and movies.  The only thing I miss from DI$H is the variety the comedy channel provided.

I'm using my old cellphone (with a new battery) as an MP3 player.  I was afraid of using up my battery when it was my 'actual' cell phone. 

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 08:12:10 PM »
An app called TurboScan has been terrific for decluttering paper from purses and desk stacks as well as scanning recipes out of books and magazines.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2015, 03:17:59 PM »
I'm reviving this for Christmas time! I have a hard time when people ask me what I want for a gift, and if I ask for alcohol anymore people will start getting worried.

I want to bump this list in case it gives anyone else any ideas =)

I'll be asking for a kitchen scale this year at the recommendation of this list! Possibly an air popper too, although I do love my coconut-oil popped popcorn...

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2015, 07:56:00 AM »
I'm reviving this for Christmas time! I have a hard time when people ask me what I want for a gift, and if I ask for alcohol anymore people will start getting worried.

I'll be asking for a kitchen scale this year at the recommendation of this list! Possibly an air popper too, although I do love my coconut-oil popped popcorn...

My parents have the same issue. I decided to start getting them tickets to theatre/concerts/sport events/whatever is happening in the near future. They're trying to downsize so I wanted to avoid giving them more stuff.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2015, 08:00:51 AM »

My parents have the same issue. I decided to start getting them tickets to theatre/concerts/sport events/whatever is happening in the near future. They're trying to downsize so I wanted to avoid giving them more stuff.

I both love giving and receiving useful presents. I'm always torn on the tickets front- I have loved receiving them as presents in the past, but I feel presumptuous when I want to buy for a relative who I know is busy. How do you approach that?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2015, 09:49:43 AM »
Somehow I missed this thread the first time around.  I'm going to say:

Pressure canner - especially for homemade turkey and chicken stock, which is almost free vs. $2.50+ for sodium-laden commercial stock that's not nearly as good.
Sewing machine - yes, a solid vintage one from Craigslist
+1 to the plumbing snake.  Costs a fraction of just one visit from the plumber.
Instant Pot - all the goodness of a slow cooker and pressure cooker plus a yogurt maker all rolled into one
High-powered blender - pricey but makes it easy to scratch-make hummus, guac, smoothies and all sorts of things for way less than pre-made price
Pressure washer - my $200 unit has paid for itself just through the annual horse blanket washing.  Otherwise I'd be paying $20+ per blanket to send them out for cleaning
Food saver to vacuum pack and freeze meats found on sale in bulk, garden produce, keep cheeses for months in the fridge