Author Topic: Furnace Filters  (Read 1985 times)

Micona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Furnace Filters
« on: March 01, 2017, 06:06:29 PM »
I currently have a Trane XL90 furnace in my house. It's about time I change the filter for the first time. It uses a 16" x 20" x 1" filter. I got thinking though about trying reusable filters instead of buying numerous throwaway ones throughout the years.

Does anyone have any tips on furnace filters or a type you might recommend? Are reusable ones the route to go? Is there anything out there that'll last a "lifetime"?

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Furnace Filters
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 06:51:27 AM »
I looked into washable furnace filters last year.

First, they are not permanent.  They're good for a few years - but they can't tell you how many. 
They flow less as they get older - this can be a bad for your furnace.  They flow less than a disposable filter even when new.
They don't filter as well as disposable filters - not good (enough) if you have pets or are bothered by pollen.
They need to fully dry when you wash them.  You should keep a disposable filter for when washing.
Some should be washed every month.

I buy the cheapest brand name (that I recognize) disposable filters that the 'big box' store has.  If I pay more for a 'better' filter, I'm tempted to not replace it as often as I should.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 11:22:16 AM »
We have an air cleaner (electrostatic) attached to the furnace, and all the filters are in the air cleaner. They get removed and hosed down twice a year, and will last a lifetime.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 01:12:55 PM »
Did you know  you could vacuum the dirt from the disposable filters?  When you vacuum the house, include vacuuming the filter.  Extends the life for a few months.  I still change out at least twice a year.

Dollar Diva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 01:55:48 PM »
After adding up my monthly disposable filter costs (we change every month because of so much dust and pet hair) for a year (not to mention landfill space), I started using a washable filter about 18 months ago. It had a good filtration rating and I figured my breakeven at 10 months. The filter manufacturer claims it is good up to 5 years. So far I've been very pleased with its function and the relatively easy cleaning. I just pop a disposable filter in the furnace for 24 hours. Hose the washable filter off in the shower (5 min) and let it dry thoroughly over an air vent for 24 hours. Even if it only lasts 2 years, I'm money ahead and it's better for the environment.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 08:39:08 AM »
I looked into washable furnace filters last year.

First, they are not permanent.  They're good for a few years - but they can't tell you how many. 
They flow less as they get older - this can be a bad for your furnace.  They flow less than a disposable filter even when new.
They don't filter as well as disposable filters - not good (enough) if you have pets or are bothered by pollen.
They need to fully dry when you wash them.  You should keep a disposable filter for when washing.
Some should be washed every month.

I buy the cheapest brand name (that I recognize) disposable filters that the 'big box' store has.  If I pay more for a 'better' filter, I'm tempted to not replace it as often as I should.

I've had the same washable filter for 10 years and still going on strong. It is made of plastic so I'm not sure why it would degrade and only last a few years. I wash mine every month, the same time frame given to replace disposable ones.
My washable filter flows more than a disposable one since it is more porous and this makes it even easier on the furnace, not the other way around.
Because they are porous, the don't remove as small of a particulate so it would be a concern if you have allergies.
I can wash and fully dry mine in about ten minutes. Again, it is made of non-organic materials that don't absorb water. I can easily due it between heating cycles without putting in a disposable filter.