Author Topic: Free or low-cost online yoga  (Read 29929 times)

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
Free or low-cost online yoga
« on: March 09, 2023, 06:41:58 PM »
I've let my health go a bit and need to turn that around.  I'm looking for yoga.  At one time I was a semi-regular yoga-goer (not enough to call myself a yogi!) and I love it. My 2x week class was billed as 'power yoga', but it was a nice balance of fitness but still with some of the breathing and relaxation of more "granola" type yoga.  I'd love to find that again, but something I can do from home.

I'm looking primarily for strength, with some flexibility and maybe a touch of mindfulness, or whatever you might call that thing where you force yourself to hold the pose for another 5 seconds even when you think you can't. 

Free is of course best, but I'm willing to pay a small fee for a fantastic class, though it would be easier to do that if I could at least try for free.

So, any suggestions? 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
Re: Free or low-cost online yoga
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 06:55:58 PM »
Are you familiar with Yoga by Adrienne? She has a wide variety of options, although probably nine that would quite fit the Power Yoga category.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 07:02:35 PM »
Have you checked your health insurance to see if you have some kind of health-club benefit?  My new insurance offers a free year of online fitness classes through the Peloton App.  I started with a free month from Peloton, and then I will activate the membership through my insurance.

I've tried a few other online class options for free as well - I got several months of Daily Burn for free though a credit card offer (AmEx, I think?), and several months of Apple+ Fitness for free (through Target Circle).  I think most online fitness classes will have a free trial period.

I do yoga sometimes (though I've been focusing on daily Pilates lately instead), but I'm not a good judge of what a good class/practice is.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 07:35:34 PM »
Have you checked your health insurance to see if you have some kind of health-club benefit?  My new insurance offers a free year of online fitness classes through the Peloton App.  I started with a free month from Peloton, and then I will activate the membership through my insurance.

I've tried a few other online class options for free as well - I got several months of Daily Burn for free though a credit card offer (AmEx, I think?), and several months of Apple+ Fitness for free (through Target Circle).  I think most online fitness classes will have a free trial period.

I do yoga sometimes (though I've been focusing on daily Pilates lately instead), but I'm not a good judge of what a good class/practice is.

They offer a discount to some in-person gyms, but it looks like it's all in-person. 

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 08:04:18 PM »
Are you familiar with Yoga by Adrienne? She has a wide variety of options, although probably nine that would quite fit the Power Yoga category.

Yes, I love her channel! I think it is Yoga With Adriene though :) Also you get to see her chill dog too

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 08:37:06 PM »

Yes, I love her channel! I think it is Yoga With Adriene though :) Also you get to see her chill dog too
I’ve enjoyed her videos as well as those by Yoga with Kassandra.

srrb

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 11:23:21 PM »

I’ve enjoyed her videos as well as those by Yoga with Kassandra.

Another vote for both those resources.

cupcakery

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 06:01:45 AM »
A lot of people seem to like Yoga With Adriene on Youtube.  She's not my cup of tea.  DoYogaWithMe has free classes that are great!

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2023, 04:24:35 AM »
My library offers a free weekly yoga class that can be attended either in-person or via Zoom (I do Zoom).  You might want to see if your library offers anything; I have no idea how common something like this is.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2023, 09:26:42 AM »
Our rec department offers several online yoga options, so there’s something else to check.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 11:16:18 AM »
Sometimes yoga with Adriene is a little too loosey goosey for me.  She's like "just do this, or do what feels good."  I like more firm instructions, because "what feels good" might be not really engaging and just laying on the mat while the video plays...

I like the down dog app.   It's different from other platforms where they put out new content on a regular basis; it's like build your own practices.  The lego of yoga practices?  You specify length and level and focus, that type of quality, and then it puts together a practice for you.  You also get access to other apps (hiit, running, barre, meditation) with the subscription, I think.  Oh, also, you can use them all for free, but you get more options with the subscription, which is currently $60/yr.  Worth a try for free!

SlowlyButSurely

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 08:28:41 PM »
I like the down dog app.   It's different from other platforms where they put out new content on a regular basis; it's like build your own practices.  The lego of yoga practices?  You specify length and level and focus, that type of quality, and then it puts together a practice for you.  You also get access to other apps (hiit, running, barre, meditation) with the subscription, I think.  Oh, also, you can use them all for free, but you get more options with the subscription, which is currently $60/yr.  Worth a try for free!

+1 to DownDog. I like the LEGO analogy. I refer to it as "cyborg yoga". But it's also worth trying the free trial and then cancelling and waiting a bit to see if they send you a discount. I did that and got it for $15/year. I expected that to go up to the regular rate the second year, but it didn't. I am curious to see what happens in June. Maybe I somehow got grandfathered in at a special rate.

sayonara

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 11:01:42 PM »
FWIW, in case anybody else has Kaiser, they have a partnership with ClassPass which allows free online access to all of their virtual / recorded workouts. There are hundreds of videos from yoga to HIIT classes, and they are high quality.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 02:59:00 PM »

+1 to DownDog. I like the LEGO analogy. I refer to it as "cyborg yoga". But it's also worth trying the free trial and then cancelling and waiting a bit to see if they send you a discount. I did that and got it for $15/year. I expected that to go up to the regular rate the second year, but it didn't. I am curious to see what happens in June. Maybe I somehow got grandfathered in at a special rate.

I'm on year 3 of the discounted rate!

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 08:41:53 PM »
I basically hunt and peck on Youtube but like doyogawithme.com, as was mentioned previously. Yoga by Adrienne wasn't a fit for me but I enjoy the Fightmaster Yoga channel videos. Lesley Fightmaster has sadly passed but her videos are still great. I have also paid up a few times for virtual but live lessons from Liz Arch on livekick.com.

srrb

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2023, 04:30:10 PM »

LOVE!!!!
Thank you for the recommendation. I was an Adrienne user but am now dedicated to the DownDog apps. No adds, no fussing with YouTube, and I like to do 15 min sessions throughout my day.

Ozlady

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2023, 05:07:48 PM »
Yoga with Adrienne probably saved my back :))

Thanks Adrienne!

almost

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2023, 08:19:28 AM »
Yoga with Tim is a great channel I've followed for years on youtube.  He's got great videos.  Also, I'm a man and having a man as a yoga instructor made me more comfortable in my practice.

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2023, 04:07:27 PM »
I'd see if your local yoga studio has low-cost options for those on low incomes. Or sign up to the yoga studio for a year or so until you feel confident practicing on your own. Online yoga classes like Yoga with Adrienne tend to be quite short and easy, and it's hard to be as motivated without the competition around you.

[Edit] if in-person classes absolutely aren't an option, Alo Moves has some harder classes.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 04:09:21 PM by remizidae »

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2023, 03:49:05 PM »
If you have any flexibility - a lot of Lululemon stores/showrooms have free yoga classes once/week!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2023, 04:01:12 PM »
If you have any flexibility - a lot of Lululemon stores/showrooms have free yoga classes once/week!

I see what you did there!

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2023, 05:40:52 PM »
If you want to bring up the intensity from Yoga with Adrienne, Yoga with Sarabeth is my recommendation.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2023, 06:52:40 PM »
My meditation timer also has free yoga classes as part of it: Insight Timer https://insighttimer.com/

I haven’t taken the yoga classes yet, but the meditation classes are top notch and taught by some of the best in the field. You do have the option to donate to the teacher, but it isn’t required.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2023, 07:15:14 PM »
+1 for yoga w Adrienne. I love her

Also free on YouTube, I like tana yoga. She is a bit more intense, but most classes around the 39 min mark

I also like boho beautiful yoga, but she can be a bit too spiritual/woo woo... And is now going a fair bit of paid advertising

For pilates, I really like move w Nicole as she has good workouts and flawless form

And, heather Robertson is amazing. She does HIIT style classes which are great, and her yoga fusion series is great and a bit more cardiovascularly intense/ challenging than a typical online yoga class

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2023, 01:05:48 PM »
Yoga with Kassandra on YT is my fave.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2023, 03:09:30 AM »
Yoga with Tim is a great channel I've followed for years on youtube.  He's got great videos.  Also, I'm a man and having a man as a yoga instructor made me more comfortable in my practice.
+1 for Yoga with Tim. His 30-day challenges are awesome, building up from easy to hard. Also as a straight woman - he’s pretty great to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2023, 08:49:43 AM »
+1 for Yoga with Tim. His 30-day challenges are awesome, building up from easy to hard. Also as a straight woman - he’s pretty great to look at.
My wife watches Yoga with Tim on YouTube. He's pretty good. @almost same here, he oozes confidence that men can achieve some complicated poses. I go for Power Yoga classes at the gym once a week, but using Tim's videos is great. Some days I don't want to lift or cardio, so a quick Tim video for yoga and stretch is awesome. Plus he has other practitioners too.

Fire enthusiast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2023, 08:32:53 AM »
I would definitely recommend Boho Beautiful Yoga. the videos are all set in nature which makes me feel more relaxed. There is also a Pilates and meditation videos.
Greater Meditation is also one of my favorite channels. It focuses more on yoga and meditation. It is more recommended for beginners and people who are not so fit.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2023, 10:49:33 AM »
FWIW, in case anybody else has Kaiser, they have a partnership with ClassPass which allows free online access to all of their virtual / recorded workouts. There are hundreds of videos from yoga to HIIT classes, and they are high quality.
I do! Thanks for this tip!