Author Topic: FI mentioned in: The Gambler (2014)  (Read 1915 times)

FIRE4Science

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
FI mentioned in: The Gambler (2014)
« on: April 14, 2015, 10:39:09 AM »
Movies very rarely mention Financial Independence or "freeing your mind" and opening up to new concepts. I actually ended up liking this movie quite a bit.

Best quote in the movie mentioning FI (without literally stating it).

"Jim Bennett: I've been up two and a half million.
Frank: What you got on you?
Jim Bennett: Nothing.
Frank: What you put away?
Jim Bennett: Nothing.

Frank: You get up two and a half million dollars, any asshole in the world knows what to do: you get a house with a 25 year roof, an indestructible Jap-economy shitbox, you put the rest into the system at three to five percent to pay your taxes and that's your base, get me? That's your fortress of fucking solitude. That puts you, for the rest of your life, at a level of fuck you. Somebody wants you to do something, fuck you. Boss pisses you off, fuck you! Own your house. Have a couple bucks in the bank. Don't drink. That's all I have to say to anybody on any social level. Did your grandfather take risks?

Jim Bennett: Yes.
Frank: I guarantee he did it from a position of fuck you. A wise man's life is based around fuck you. The United States of America is based on fuck you. You have a navy? Greatest army in the history of mankind? Fuck you! Blow me. We'll fuck it up ourselves.
" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2039393/trivia?tab=qt&ref_=tt_trv_qu

James!

• Stubble
Re: FI mentioned in: The Gambler (2014)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 10:45:56 AM »
YES!

I watched this last weekend and loved it. That whole scene was amazing. John Goodman shirtless is a bit disturbing but otherwise it was much better than I anticipated.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!