Author Topic: Looking for an affordable durable windbreaker for bike ride to work  (Read 2314 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
The internet is showing me an endless array of windbreakers but many are not really windbreakers but simple jackets.

Anyone have a brand they recommend? I have warm clothes but none of them really stop the wind which cuts right through as I pedal along at 15 mph.

I see some nice options in the $100+ category but I'd really like to find something for half that. I'll be looking for something I can wear over my warm jacket (layers).

Thanks! 

miked

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Looking for an affordable durable windbreaker for bike ride to work
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 12:21:01 PM »
I just bought this:

http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-cloud-ridge-rain-jacket/83675.html

if you buy the green or red version, it's 50% off (down to just above your upper range I now see..). It's my first Patagonia jacket, but my wife has always been happy with hers. I wore mine today for the first time on my ride in this morning, it was 27F and I was toasty warm.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 04:27:16 PM »
Patagonia is good, but I feel like Columbia delivers more value due to lower price points, while still maintaining high, though not, elite, quality.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 09:11:22 PM »
Thank you folks!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 06:19:38 AM »
Thank you folks for the guidance.

In the end I bought a Columbia jacket. $50 off sale directly from their website.

Came in five colors (picked a bright blue for road safety).

Also could be had in 4XL and Tall in case anyone wants to wear layers under it.

I liked the Patagonia but I could not get it in a size large enough to layer.

Only problem is that I'm feel guilty for not buying from my local outdoor equipment store. ;)

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
I know this is a couple weeks old and you already purchased a jacket. But for any future mustachians searching the forums, I'd recommend just getting a cheap wind-resistant and/or waterproof jacket on ebay, amazon, or other similar site. I bought one for $10 back in 2012. It has long since lost it's water-proofing, but the wind resistance doesn't wear out like waterproofing does.

I bike year round in MN where temps get well below 0F and that jacket works quite well as the outer layer with just a t shirt and sweatshirt as an inner layer. Now that it's early spring I just use a t-shirt and the $10 jacket and it works great, just have to zip/unzip to regulate temperature on the ride.

No need to purchase anything expensive

Steve Ainslie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • ainslies.org - becoming a better man
I’ll second CptCool’s remark for any others ooking for a biking jacket.

For years I biked 10 miles daily in all weather in Pittsburgh (lots of rain, wind, sub 20 degrees in the winter).

Any slick, nylony outer layer seemed to work fine.

In the worst cold I’d wear a tight tshirt base, a looser long sleeve t over that, a sweatshirt or hoodie and then the nylony outer layer.

When it was warmer, I would simply skip interior layers.

All of my outer shells were hand me downs I found laying sround. Some were Columbia, some were no name brands. There was little difference when riding.

Any could be found in a thrift store or goodwill for dirt cheap.