Author Topic: daily finance news?  (Read 5506 times)

mermalaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
daily finance news?
« on: October 06, 2021, 09:43:41 AM »
Where do you get your information on what is going on in the markets, if you just had ten minutes each day to check in?

Is there a good news segment that can be found on youtube or a check of a site like yahoo finance?

Itwould be great if there were a FIRE/Mustachian specific one although maybe checking the markets daily goes against the principles....!

I'm 6 months away from RE and the market fluctuations (seeing my investment account numbers change so much day to day) is freaking me out a little bit and I thought some reliable source of news about the reasons for the ups and downs would help me relax about it...?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: daily finance news?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 10:18:02 AM »
Why would I care what's going on in the markets on a day to day basis?  I'm investing for the long term, not gambling on individual stocks or bitcoin.  Checking more than once or twice a year (and even that seems excessive sometimes) is of no value.

If you're about to retire, you should already have an asset allocation that you're comfortable seeing daily fluctuations with.  If not, it's possible that your AA is too aggressive and might be worth re-examining.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 11:01:13 AM »
I really enjoy listening to "Marketplace Morning Report" on NPR.  Its about 6-7 minutes and comes on the radio or you can listen to the podcast version.  It covers a little bit of what's spooking or elevating the market, but is largely about interesting economic tidbits.  https://www.marketplace.org/shows/marketplace-morning-report/

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 11:10:32 AM »
There was a time when I watched CNBC every day. Of course, some of my worst financial decisions occurred at that time so take that suggestion at your own risk.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 11:17:24 AM »
Where do you get your information on what is going on in the markets, if you just had ten minutes each day to check in?

Is there a good news segment that can be found on youtube or a check of a site like yahoo finance?

Itwould be great if there were a FIRE/Mustachian specific one although maybe checking the markets daily goes against the principles....!

I'm 6 months away from RE and the market fluctuations (seeing my investment account numbers change so much day to day) is freaking me out a little bit and I thought some reliable source of news about the reasons for the ups and downs would help me relax about it...?

There is no daily news source that will make you feel better about the ups and downs of the market. News sells by attracting as many eyeballs as possible that day, so no news outlet is going to say "things go up and down, but your average individual investor really shouldn't worry about that at all".

If you are feeling anxiety over the normal fluctuations of the market, then it would probably be better to read something like JL Collins stock series, or other sources that explain why none of this noise should matter to you specifically.

It's too much attention to the short term variations of the markets that loses people big money, so you are much safer learning to tune it out than to try and pay so much attention that you feel like you understand every rise and dip.

If the reasons behind market volatility aren't likely to change your investment strategy, which they shouldn't, then why would you need to be reassured about the reasons for that volatility?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 11:49:30 AM »

Your numbers are bigger because you are closer to retirement. I recently invested a huge lump sum and at first it was disconcerting because the day-to-day changes in my account balance were larger, but then I looked at the percentages instead of dollar amounts and it was about the same.

mermalaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 11:20:41 AM »
Thank you all so much, this is tremendously helpful. I think it is just a case of me getting closer and getting spooked - I can see why the whole 'OMY' trap is a thing...

RobertFromTX

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 07:23:40 PM »
www.ritholtz.com is a blog/news aggregator that I really enjoy.
www.calculatedriskblog.com is great for economic data but its "slow moving" - lots of data that doesn't really change quickly.
Podcast "Money for the rest of us" by J David Stein is great - comes out weekly.

Definitely turn off CNBC/Bloomberg or any of the major news outlets. It is not fit for long-term investors.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 08:26:09 AM by RobertFromTX »

LetsRetireYoung

• Stubble
  • Earn more. Spend less. Invest the rest. ;)
    • my Let's Retire Young blog
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 09:04:41 PM »
@mermalaid - I'm a bit late to this party, but just to reiterate, for yourself and others who will read this in the future: do not read daily finance news. :)

Source: I worked in Finance. Was pretty good at it, too. Then made 194% in one year with a handpicked value stock portfolio starting in May 2020. (That ended up bankrolling my lean-FIRE haha)

All those articles are retroactive ex post facto attempts to explain why something happened, and they are rarely successful. In my experience, financial reporters are a lot like male models in Zoolander: they may appear amazing, but there's absolutely no brain activity going on. A lot of them characterize a very normal stock price move (up or down 1-2%) as either a "rally!!!!" or "OMG a huge sell-off!!!" ;) (It's also possible that their editors dumb stuff down to make a consumer like yourself panic. Looks like it works, too!)

Not sure if you remember the Archegos collapse in March 2021: the tl;dr is that a very rich dude took out too much leverage on stocks that ended up going the other way. A lot of the system's failsafe protocols failed because, well, humans are irrational monkeys. When the dude started closing his fund's positions, that caused a very big splash in the market. None of the financial journos knew what was causing it, so they started throwing their favourite explanations, none of which came even close to the truth.

Financial news is the modern-day version tea-leaf reading. They're nothing but the modern equivalent of ancient priests that would utter their bullshit proclamations ("If we're right, give us more stuff! If we were wrong, it's because you didn't pray hard enough!") - I'm sure some of the people even then suspected those guys were full of shit, but hey, they were the high priests, so they must've been right, eh? ;)

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of anyone who actually needs to read financial news daily. The only people would be second-order parasites/professionals: financial journos looking for more topics to pontificate on, or day-traders who would try to see which way the panicked herd would run - and fleece them accordingly, etc. But no, you as an individual investor will get absolutely zero benefit from all that. Also, if you aim to live off your investments for years and decades to come, looking at that stuff daily - or even weekly - is a very bad idea. It will not bring you happiness, it sure as hell ain't the road to wisdom, and it will give you unneeded stress.

There was a time when I watched CNBC every day. Of course, some of my worst financial decisions occurred at that time so take that suggestion at your own risk.
Heh... I tried watching it for the first time way back in late 2008, when I was first dabbling with stocks. On the same day, they issued three (3!) absolutely different recommendations on the same stock. I don't recall if it was Buy-Sell-Buy, or Sell-Buy-Sell, but each and every time, they issued their advice with utmost seriousness and very serious arguments on their very professional, very serious faces. :P I was 22. That was when I knew for sure just how full of shit they were. It never ceases to amaze me that there are millions of people who actually watch that garbage and take it seriously. O_o

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 08:50:51 PM »
Definitely don't watch daily financial news.  Unless you're day trading.  Though not even sure for then.

Stay on target; don't be influenced by day-to-day changes.

I'm not sure I should even be reading any news daily.  Most stories will not change my actions, and I have little potential to influence their outcomes.  They have the potential to make me feel either happy or stressed, to be replaced by similar judgments in the next day's news. 

It's back to the Serenity Prayer: "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."  The heart of Stoicism.

Not necessarily an exhortation for anyone else.  Just what seems to work best for me.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 05:27:21 AM »
I just read A Random Walk down Wall Street, which goes into detail on Financial Analysts, news reporting, and buy/sell/hold recommendations. Basically more of what @LetsRetireYoung said up above. They're full of it, and have to justify their existence.

I do like Graham Stephan on YouTube. He's just a guy who's interested in finance and gives balanced reports on various market issues.
https://www.youtube.com/c/GrahamStephan

I haven't watched network TV since the '80s, so I have no idea what they're blathering about these days.

Shuchong

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2021, 01:02:40 PM »
It's not really daily finance news, but you can sign up for Matt Levine's "Money Stuff" or read online here (https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/authors/ARbTQlRLRjE/matthew-s-levine).  In-depth looks at three or four finance things in the news that day.  Pretty funny, and quite insightful, but not "you must buy this stock" or CNBC-like.  He has a bit of a cult following, which the NY times wrote about here:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/08/business/matt-levine-bloomberg.html

The intro to the NYT article is a perfect example of what I like about "Money Stuff":  when the spot price of oil went negative, most news was along the lines of "Commodity futures need to be standardized and tied to a physical delivery point, which in this case was overwhelmed." So basically unintelligible. Matt Levine, on the other hand, wrote: "Oil is voluminous and oozy and poisonous and flammable and smelly. . . People put a price on oil . . . but they also put a price on not having it now.  . . . n theory, the latter price (what you’d pay to not have oil now) could exceed the former (what you’d pay to have oil eventually), leading to negative spot prices.”

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 02:29:58 PM »
If something really big happens in finance news, someone will post something about it on the forum. That's how I usually find out. Same goes for politics, natural disasters, new articles from pf bloggers, etc. This is pretty much the only site I check regularly besides local news and weather.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2021, 11:25:03 AM »
Daily finance "news" is a waste of time.

First of all, most of it isn't news, it's opinion stated as OMG!!!  DOOOOOOMMMMM IS AT HAND! or   HALLELUJAH!!!   THE PROMISED LAND HAS ARRIVED!
Saw headlines the other day that stocks were PLUNGING -- actual results were less than 2%.   

Just ignore it.

Google the JL Collins Stock Series and read it in full.  Pay special attention to the articles about how the market is sure to REALLY drop several times in your lifetime.  Get used to daily fluctuations.  It's unimportant.

goodmoneygoodlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Good Money Good Life
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2022, 07:28:53 AM »

Seeing as how none of the other posts actually answer your question, I find Morning Brew quite interesting. Bite-sized news for you to know what's going on in the world. Mostly stat based with minimal bias.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2022, 08:22:32 AM »
Seeing as how none of the other posts actually answer your question, I find Morning Brew quite interesting. Bite-sized news for you to know what's going on in the world. Mostly stat based with minimal bias.

Somehow most people here decided to focus on the extreme end of what it means to stay informed about market news.  In my defense, I did respond with my recommendation that I stand by---
I really enjoy listening to "Marketplace Morning Report" on NPR.  Its about 6-7 minutes and comes on the radio or you can listen to the podcast version.  It covers a little bit of what's spooking or elevating the market, but is largely about interesting economic tidbits.  https://www.marketplace.org/shows/marketplace-morning-report/

I signed up for the Morning Brew daily email, and just read this morning's.  It seems to cover about the same topics, with the same general focus--- what's happening in the world and what economic/financial effect that might have.  I'll wait a week and decide whether to continue with it or stick to mine.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2022, 01:30:44 PM »
I don't. I buy index funds, I don't sell. Why do I care what's going on with the market? The balance gets updated automatically by Quicken, it feeds into my monthly net worth calculation automatically.

Now, if what you're looking for is sources to keep up with current events, that's a very different question and one I'm not particularly qualified to answer. I keep a low information diet. I skim the Washington Post app and read whatever's interesting to me. But most big news I see online - here or in passing on reddit. From there, I can go searching further.

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2022, 08:45:11 PM »
Even the best, most professionally run news programs completely drop the ball on their coverage of the markets and cave to using biased talking heads from the usual brokerage houses who use current in-vogue lingo to make listeners believe they know what’s going on and the best way to invest.

It’s all bullshit. These clowns couldn’t predict the percentage of heads and tails in a thousand coin toss trial and can’t beat the indexes. Absolutely complete bullshit.

Oh, and do you know the difference between Bozo and Kramer?

Yeah, me neither…

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2022, 12:54:47 PM »

Thanks for this...I too am interested in just a quick skim of what's happening in the world

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2022, 12:58:43 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation for The Morning Brew

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2022, 05:35:10 PM »
In general, a forum catering to passive investors won't have much insight on where to go for stock market news.  If you're a passive investor, I'd suggest running retirement scenarios through simulators to see if you can retire at a lower equity allocation, if that would be comfortable for you.
https://www.vanguard.com/nesteggcalculator

@mermalaid - I'm a bit late to this party, but just to reiterate, for yourself and others who will read this in the future: do not read daily finance news. :)

Source: I worked in Finance. Was pretty good at it, too. Then made 194% in one year with a handpicked value stock portfolio starting in May 2020. (That ended up bankrolling my lean-FIRE haha)

All those articles are retroactive ex post facto attempts to explain why something happened, and they are rarely successful ...

Not sure if you remember the Archegos collapse in March 2021 ... None of the financial journos knew what was causing it, so they started throwing their favourite explanations, none of which came even close to the truth.

Financial news is the modern-day version tea-leaf reading. They're nothing but the modern equivalent of ancient priests that would utter their bullshit proclamations ...

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of anyone who actually needs to read financial news daily. The only people would be second-order parasites/professionals: financial journos looking for more topics to pontificate on, or day-traders who would try to see which way the panicked herd would run - and fleece them accordingly, etc ...
If you read my signature, it sounds like we did something similar in 2020.  I went 100% equities on Mar 20, 2020 and days later switched to risky individual stocks.  From Mar 26 2020 to Nov 5 2021 I tracked "An experiment" of picking 3 stocks (DIN, M, DXPE) to beat the market (VTI).  The result was +228% versus VTI +89%.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/an-experiment/msg2898509/#msg2898509

As a newly active investor, CNBC & Bloomberg were invaluable in Mar 2020 for understanding when the market got things wrong.  I knew why the Fed sounded the alarm Mar 8 2020, but the market didn't: an oil price war was attributed as the cause, at least partly.  And on Mar 10, as I shouted WTF, markets went up in the face of Covid-19 because of better than expected news in that oil price war.

If you (LetsRetireYoung) lump TV stations in with news articles, I'd have to disagree.  Some people are investing in semis right now, but a CNBC anlyst pointed out that shortages tend to be followed by building too much capacity, and then overproduction.  Sometimes they even feature people like Jeremy Siegel ("Stocks for the Long Run"), or economists I trust.

Online articles are lower quality.  I often search for the writer's name, and look them up online to see their qualifications, and if they have any track record.  Most often, the answer is none and none.  On reddit's investing area, links from "Forbes" are blocked for that very reason.

Viking Thor

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2022, 09:56:35 PM »
Odd how someone asks a question on sources of financial news and many of the responses are just to basically tell them how foolish they are for wanting to see financial news.

Like if someone asked for info on growing vegetables, even though I am not interested I wouldn't chime in just to say they are foolish and the grocery store is cheaper when factoring in time and effort.

I am 97% a passive index investor but I like  little bit of business/ financial news each day. I spend more than that on sports news, neither of which I think will make me a bunch of money.

I don't really have a single go to source, but to try to help answer the question.

I have a free NYT online subscription and they some good business content. Bloomberg is great but mainly payroll blocked, you get a couple articles per month free. Since I have a few devices I scan that sometimes as each device gives you a couple free articles. Google news app is free and has a business section that I sometimes check and has some good content. If you have an iPhone the stocks app can give a quick performance view of market indices or whatever you invest in and has some related articles.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2022, 10:27:46 AM »
Odd how someone asks a question on sources of financial news and many of the responses are just to basically tell them how foolish they are for wanting to see financial news.

Like if someone asked for info on growing vegetables, even though I am not interested I wouldn't chime in just to say they are foolish and the grocery store is cheaper when factoring in time and effort.

I am 97% a passive index investor but I like  little bit of business/ financial news each day. I spend more than that on sports news, neither of which I think will make me a bunch of money.

I don't really have a single go to source, but to try to help answer the question.

I have a free NYT online subscription and they some good business content. Bloomberg is great but mainly payroll blocked, you get a couple articles per month free. Since I have a few devices I scan that sometimes as each device gives you a couple free articles. Google news app is free and has a business section that I sometimes check and has some good content. If you have an iPhone the stocks app can give a quick performance view of market indices or whatever you invest in and has some related articles.
Uh, because friends don't let friends make easily avoidable mistakes? Because MMM espouses a Low-Information Diet? Because we care about people we don't know IRL? Because they asked their question here?

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/10/01/the-low-information-diet/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 09:55:47 AM by Dicey »

Viking Thor

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2022, 09:29:07 PM »
Comes across as a bit snobbish and elitist to me.

Someone spends 10 minutes a day looking at financial news and asks for sources and the response from multiple repetitive posts is essentially - hey fool don't look at financial news, be awesome like me instead and ignore it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2022, 05:43:26 AM »

Someone spends 10 minutes a day looking at financial news and asks for sources and the response from multiple repetitive posts is essentially - hey fool don't look at financial news, be awesome like me instead and ignore it.
So you haven't read the Low Information Diet Manifesto either?

What about the Fidelity Study? https://theconservativeincomeinvestor.com/fidelitys-best-investors-are-dead/

The whole damn point of MMM is to achieve one's goals as efficiently as possible. This forum is an extension of that philosophy.

"Snobbish and elitist", my ass. This shit works. What could be more egalitarian than that?

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2022, 06:30:28 AM »

So you haven't read the Low Information Diet Manifesto either?

What about the Fidelity Study? https://theconservativeincomeinvestor.com/fidelitys-best-investors-are-dead/

The whole damn point of MMM is to achieve one's goals as efficiently as possible. This forum is an extension of that philosophy.

"Snobbish and elitist", my ass. This shit works. What could be more egalitarian than that?

Being a passive investor--- sticking with a defined asset allocation, buy and hold, etc, can be compatible with educating yourself about financial news.  Sticking your head in the sand doesn't seem the best choice in my mind.

Why don't you try listening to the NPR Marketplace Morning Report (or go full out with the 30 minute Marketplace show) and then report back.  Kai Ryssdal time and time again repeats that his wife is in charge of the retirement accounts, that she is quite conservative with the money, and she has control so he isn't tempted to play around with it.  Nothing about the show is about stock picking or market timing.  Its educational so as to give an idea what happening in the economic world--- why are cars so expensive right now, why does the fridge take 6 months to deliver, the Fed raising interest rates 0.25% vs 0.5%, how unemployment rates are calculated, comparing various inflation calculation methods and economic indicators (consumer purchasing, home build rates, etc), the 'My Economy' interviews with people in the workforce telling how their lives have been affected by the pandemic, etc.

edited to add--- In a previous post, I stated that I signed up for the Morning Brew and would give it a week.  I've since unsubscribed.  I like the Marketplace show a little better.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 06:49:55 AM by uniwelder »

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2022, 08:50:48 AM »
I am 97% a passive index investor but I like  little bit of business/ financial news each day
In "Investor Alley" many of the articles are about active investing, but my lobbying for a separate section went nowhere.  Next time I think I should bring it up inside Investor Alley.

I have a free NYT online subscription and they some good business content. Bloomberg is great but mainly payroll blocked, you get a couple articles per month free.
You might try setting your browser to never remember cookies from Bloomberg, and see if you can view more of their articles.  Websites are essentially lazy, and force people's own browsers to remember if they've visited before or not.

Was your approach to free NYT online something others could do as well, or someone you know who pays for it?

Uh, because friends don't let friends make easily avoidable mistakes? Because MMM espouses a Low-Informatiin Diet? Because we care about people we don't know IRL? Because they asked their question here?

The OP joined in Nov 2021, so "they" did not ask anything in 2013.  I believe MMM also took out a margin loan with IBKR... so does everyone have to espouse taking out margin loans?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2022, 09:55:05 AM »

Uh, because friends don't let friends make easily avoidable mistakes? Because MMM espouses a Low-Informatiin Diet? Because we care about people we don't know IRL? Because they asked their question here?

The OP joined in Nov 2021, so "they" did not ask anything in 2013.  I believe MMM also took out a margin loan with IBKR... so does everyone have to espouse taking out margin loans?
I think you are missing the point. It's the place where the OP asked the question that produced the results VT didn't like. When the OP joined the forum is irrelevant.

Your MMM point is a miss as well. Pete learned about a frugal hack that could be beneficial in certain situations and shared it. He certainly did not suggest it was suitable for everyone. Pete got divorced, too. By your reasoning, does that mean we should all de-spouse? He also has a child. Does that make every childless mustchian not a true mustachian?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2022, 01:48:11 PM »
Pete got divorced, too. By your reasoning, does that mean we should all de-spouse?

Yes dammit.  I'll tell the wife tonight.  Too bad, we had some good times . . . but if MMM got divorced we certainly have to follow blindly.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2022, 07:38:02 PM »
Dicey - The MMM forum is not a monolith where low cost investing is the only topic allowed or discussed.

Pete got divorced, too. By your reasoning, does that mean we should all de-spouse?
Yes dammit.  I'll tell the wife tonight.  Too bad, we had some good times . . . but if MMM got divorced we certainly have to follow blindly.
Not so fast - you need to have a kid first!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2022, 07:41:29 PM »
Dicey - The MMM forum is not a monolith where low cost investing is the only topic allowed or discussed.

You made me laugh. When I wrote this, I was wondering what the folks who had more than one spingoff were going to do with their excess inventory.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2022, 08:09:14 AM »

You made me laugh. When I wrote this, I was wondering what the folks who had more than one spingoff were going to do with their excess inventory.
Good news and bad news honey!  We're going to have a reduced grocery bill for meat this this week . . .

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!