Author Topic: Credit card rewards for medical expenses  (Read 2011 times)

Jinny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Credit card rewards for medical expenses
« on: August 21, 2016, 10:13:34 AM »
Hubby took a spill down some stairs while taking out the trash. Due to high deductible insurance we will have $7,000-$10,000 in out of pocket medical expenses. I will try to get a cash discount from providers but if that doesn't work I want to maximize credit card rewards. Are there any cards out there that have special rewards for charging medical expenes? What is the best website for finding the best reward cards? Thanks!!!!!

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
Re: Credit card rewards for medical expenses
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 10:49:27 AM »
With that large of an expense, you should be able to hit minimum spending requirements for several sign-on bonus's.  There are lots of resources for credit card churning, airline rewards, etc., which is where you will find the best cards.  I don't think there are any cards that specifically give rewards for medical expenses.  However much you spend, make sure to save your receipts so you can reimburse yourself from an HSA!

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 03:45:14 PM »
We've had insane medical bills the last 2 years, but not much extra time for churning.  The Capital One quicksilver with the flat cash rebate (1.5%?) has been a good fit.  If you have the time, like PP mentioned, churning is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

zombiehunter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 12:49:48 PM »
New today... Chase Sapphire Reserve.

After spending $4k in the first 4 months and paying the Annual Fee of $450, you get a bonus of 100,000 Chase Membership Rewards Points which is worth $1000 in cash back (or $1500 in travel, or points transferred to United, Hyatt, etc.), plus $600 in travel credits ($300 per calandar year, can be used twice before next annual fee is due), plus $100 in TSA/Global Entry, lounge access, rental car insurance, etc. etc.

Get it and cancel in 11 months and take at least $1150 off your bills ($1000 in cash back if redeeming the points + $600 in travel credits - $450 fee).  Could be worth about $1650+ if you travel frequently.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-sapphire-reserve-visa-infinite-review-100k-sign-bonus-450-annual-fee/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!