Author Topic: Comfortable mattress recommendations?  (Read 50428 times)

Alchemisst

• Bristles
Comfortable mattress recommendations?
« on: November 26, 2021, 02:24:22 PM »
I don't really know what to look for, any recommendations for comfortable bed/ mattresses?

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Comfortable mattress recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 02:30:03 PM »
Wirecutter generally is my go to review site. They have a consistent flow to their reviews with good info. I've mostly used them for electronics though.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 03:01:18 PM »
For what it’s worth, the witecutter staff are on strike and have requested people to avoid the website this weekend.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 04:47:46 PM »
For what it’s worth, the witecutter staff are on strike and have requested people to avoid the website this weekend.

Really? Where did you see this? I use Wirecutter all the time.

the_gastropod

• Bristles

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 08:28:22 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/the-new-york-times-wirecutter-staff-has-gone-on-strike-ahead-of-the-busiest-shopping-days-of-the-year/ar-AAR8yAl

Yea. Apparently the NYTimes doesn’t treat them particularly well.

Oh man, I didn't know! I went nuts shopping through Wirecutter the last few days because I'm moving into a house soon and don't own anything so trying to catch needed items on Black Friday sale. I didn't realize I was undercutting the staff. Bummer.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 09:16:12 PM »
Sleep comfort is highly subjective. Some people like a super soft mattress they can fall into, whereas others find rock hard comfortable. From what I can tell, firmer is generally better for your back, though it can take time to get used to. So firm for back/stomach sleepers, and medium-firm for side sleepers. But again, it ultimately depends on you.

Over the years I've learned that I *strongly* prefer a natural latex mattress with support coils on a slat base for airflow. The latex just breaths a lot better and dissipates excess heat and moisture, which means I don't wake up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat. A cotton+wool comforter also helps with this. Latex doesn't off-gas VOCs, and it's biodegradable. However, it is more expensive. I expect to get 10+ years from a mattress so I don't mind paying a bit more, especially if that means it won't be in a landfill 10,000 years from now.

Our most recent purchase was from Avocado Mattress and we're very happy with it. Though I'm sure there are other natural latex mattress companies that make quality products.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 11:14:54 PM »
I just took my mother mattress shopping. She likes firm with a layer of plush. She dislikes the feel of memory foam intensely (doesn't like it forming around her + they are hot). She tried out a bunch of mattresses and was planning to get a traditional coil mattress - the Springwall Chiropractic twin for $578 (incl taxes). We kept on shopping around and in the 3rd store, the salesguy led us straight to a high density foam mattress.  We had asked for a coil mattress but he pushed hard for us to try it. It was insanely firm and felt incredible on my back. A bit too firm for Mom so he showed her another high density foam with a gel foam top. It was just right (I hear Goldilocks in my head!). It was just $388 (incl taxes).

Super impressed with high density foam mattresses.  Very comfortable, yet lightweight and can be folded/rolled for transportation.  And way cheaper! Salesguy said it lasts longer than coil and have way less warranty issues/customer complaints.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 04:18:51 AM »
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Aforum.mrmoneymustache.com+mattress+recommend

The above link searches the MMM forum for: mattress recommend

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 09:16:10 AM »
I like a futon mattress, nice and firm.
I flip it end to end and side to side at every sheet change.
It's about three years old and I paid about $400 for it, maybe a little more?
I have lower back issues and this works for me.
I stayed at a relative's Thanksgiving on a super soft memory foam type thing: ugh, hot and uncomfortable.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 09:25:13 AM »
Super impressed with high density foam mattresses.  Very comfortable, yet lightweight and can be folded/rolled for transportation.  And way cheaper! Salesguy said it lasts longer than coil and have way less warranty issues/customer complaints.

Can you give some more details?  Thickness?

I had a sheet of high density polyurethane foam, 2" thick, leftover from a project that was big enough to lay on and comfortable enough to sleep on.  My wife and I agreed that if we went cross country touring, we'd be packing the same type foam sheet to use as a mattress in a minivan. 

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2021, 10:36:13 PM »

Can you give some more details?  Thickness?

I had a sheet of high density polyurethane foam, 2" thick, leftover from a project that was big enough to lay on and comfortable enough to sleep on.  My wife and I agreed that if we went cross country touring, we'd be packing the same type foam sheet to use as a mattress in a minivan.

It's 10 inches thick. Prob 8 inches of high density foam with a gel foam on top (for some plushness - plus the gel keeps things cool). My mother is raving about how comfortable it is to sleep on. She says it feels just like the super expensive coil mattress she used to have.

I think with my next mattress, I'll skip the coil and get a similar type foam mattress.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 01:17:20 PM »
We put 5 cross beams across queen sized sleigh bed, with 4x4 support posts.  Then MDF over that.  Then used THE FOAM FACTORY and bought 2" memory foam for bototm, 5" High Density Foam for Middle and 2" latex rubber for top.  Came to like $600 for all the foam/rubber.  $100 for the wood, screws etc.

It will last 30 years easy.  Already used for 14 years.  Too comfortable.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 01:58:37 PM »
We put 5 cross beams across queen sized sleigh bed, with 4x4 support posts.  Then MDF over that.  Then used THE FOAM FACTORY and bought 2" memory foam for bototm, 5" High Density Foam for Middle and 2" latex rubber for top.  Came to like $600 for all the foam/rubber.  $100 for the wood, screws etc.

What does the memory foam at the bottom do for you? I would think it would just totally compress.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 04:08:41 PM »

What does the memory foam at the bottom do for you? I would think it would just totally compress.

We couldnt' stand getting sunk into the memory foam, making it hard to turn at night as it takes a while to reform..  was really uncomfortable.  We found it to be more comfortable at the bottom. I've seen others do this as well and like it.. It makes it super subtle yet comfortable.. shrug :)

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 05:47:27 PM »
I generated a lot of heat with a cool gel pad over my very firm Serta mattress. I wanted a hybrid so there were springs near the top for air circulation.

I went with the Saatva Classic Mattress 11.5" Luxury Firm for about $1,500, more than I have ever spent on a bed. Free delivery.
 https://www.saatva.com/mattresses/saatva-classic

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 06:32:31 PM »
I generated a lot of heat with a cool gel pad over my very firm Serta mattress. I wanted a hybrid so there were springs near the top for air circulation.

I went with the Saatva Classic Mattress 11.5" Luxury Firm for about $1,500, more than I have ever spent on a bed. Free delivery.
 https://www.saatva.com/mattresses/saatva-classic

I've had my Saatva Classic for about a month now and it's super comfortable. I don't sleep hot, though, so can't speak to that.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2022, 06:59:01 AM »
I find a cotton topper helps make things cooler.  I guess because there is more air which allows more evaporation.

NorthernFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2022, 07:31:23 PM »
I find mattresses very hard to shop for. If it's any help we went with a "Bob-o-Pedic" foam mattress. One side is firm, one side is plush. So far, about 8 years, it has been fine.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2022, 02:45:54 PM »
I just bought a foam mattress and I'm quite happy with it-- foam has come a long way. Mine is the Lucid Refresh 10" Dual-Layered Gel Memory Foam Mattress, Firm. The full size was under $250 at Walmart.com. I had slept on one at a relative's house and asked where they got it because I slept so soundly. I am surprised at how firm it is-- mattresses that are too soft leave me waking up with a headache. This one is just right for me as a side-sleeper. My relative has one on her own bed as well as the guest room and compression hasn't been a problem so far, but I can't speak to durability at this point.

The most comfortable mattress I've ever had was a springs/foam combination, but this is pretty close. I am generally a restless sleeper, but the dense foam seems to keep me more still.

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2022, 04:27:28 PM »
We have a Leesa.  I would not recommend it, nor would I not recommend it if that makes sense.

It is “fine”, but I think we could have done better.  It’s also 4 years old and humming along just fine, unlike other mattresses I bought, which very quickly became problematic within a year or two.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2022, 05:57:29 PM »
I don't really know what to look for, any recommendations for comfortable bed/ mattresses?
I need heat removal, so I bought a queen hybrid with springs for me (Saatva, $1,400) and for my son (dream cloud, $900)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 06:01:50 PM by hdatontodo »

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2022, 06:15:08 AM »
I love my Sleep Number bed and will buy another one when this one dies.  Pricey but worth it to me.

TyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2022, 12:45:44 PM »
I recently bought an Avocado brand mattress and love it as well. I highly recommend ensuring that whatever mattress you buy is made from non toxic materials.