Author Topic: CC rewards thread for Canadians?  (Read 10000 times)

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
CC rewards thread for Canadians?
« on: January 11, 2016, 01:51:06 PM »
Is there already such a thread?

If not, lets use this space to discuss making the most of our Canadian CC rewards!

I currently have the PC World Elite. There was a 50k bonus on when I initially signed up for the PC card. Not sure if there's a current sign up bonus though. We charge everything to this card, although I don't buy my groceries at Loblaws/Superstore. I find that the points really add up fast!!

We also have a Scotiabank Scene Visa, which I have set to accept a few monthly recurring payments. This one earns 1-2 free movies for us a year. I think the initial sign up bonus was enough points for 4 free tickets.

What else is out there?

ptgearguy

• Stubble
Re: CC rewards thread for Canadians?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 11:45:32 PM »
I use the MBNA Smart cash card. 5% on gas and grocery for 6 months and then 2% after that. 1% on everything else.

I also have the new tangerine cash CC. You get to pick your 3 favorite things to be 2%. I have grocery, gas and recurrent bills.

Lastly, there is the Amex cash card. 1.25% for everything with a 5% on gas and grocery for 6 months. I plan on picking this up after my MBNA card is up on the promotion.

My strat is to use the tangerine for all recurrent bills. Use the Amex for any non classed spending. I will keep the MBNA smart cash as a backup card.

I do not think these cards are all that tough to get and have no yearly fee.

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 06:20:26 AM »
I was looking at the AMEX card, but not too many stores near me accept AMEX, so I don't think I could get to the minimum of the promotion.

For the tangerine cash CC, does 'recurrent bills' include any recurrent bills (i.e., lumped together)? Between grocery, gas, and recurrent bills, that would be 99% of our monthly spending. This one might be worth a second look!

DividendMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Money
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 07:12:43 AM »

I currently have the PC World Elite. There was a 50k bonus on when I initially signed up for the PC card. Not sure if there's a current sign up bonus though. We charge everything to this card, although I don't buy my groceries at Loblaws/Superstore. I find that the points really add up fast!!

I buy my groceries at Loblaws and also my gas at their gas bar.  I use the PC World Elite Card in conjunction with the PC Plus loyalty program and the combined return is unmatched in Canada for no-fee cards... especially so if you buy your groceries and gas at Loblaws/Superstore et. al.

7c/litre worth of PC points for gas is 8-9% savings (give or take) right now!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:14:30 AM by DividendMoney »

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 08:39:26 AM »

I buy my groceries at Loblaws and also my gas at their gas bar.  I use the PC World Elite Card in conjunction with the PC Plus loyalty program and the combined return is unmatched in Canada for no-fee cards... especially so if you buy your groceries and gas at Loblaws/Superstore et. al.

Does it really work out to 7c/L for gas? That's only at Esso, right? That'd be worth keeping an eye out for Esso stations!

DividendMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Money
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 08:43:25 AM »

Does it really work out to 7c/L for gas? That's only at Esso, right? That'd be worth keeping an eye out for Esso stations!

Yes. It is 7c/Litre and the Loblaws/Superstores in my city have their own gas bars. You do get points at Esso as well, but I like to double dip with my PC Plus points loyalty card and pay with the PC World Elite Mastercard for the full 7c/Litre at the actual Loblaws gas bars.

DividendMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Money
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 08:44:49 AM »

Yes. It is 7c/Litre and the Loblaws/Superstores in my city have their own gas bars. You do get points at Esso as well, but not as many.
I like to double dip with my PC Plus points loyalty card and pay with the PC World Elite Mastercard for the full 7c/Litre at the actual Loblaws gas bars.

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 09:57:46 AM »
Ah, so you're getting base points at the Loblaws gas bar and then also for using the PC MC. I see :) 

psinguine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 12:21:42 AM »
Note that for the Tangerine Mastercard you have two ways of getting your cash back, and which one you choose dictates how many 2% categories you get.

If you choose to apply the cash back directly to your credit card balance you are only allowed to choose to make two categories 2%, with the rest defaulting to 1%.

If you choose to have your cash back balance deposited to your Tangerine savings account (and seriously, who has heard of such a thing) they will allow you to select three categories for the 2% cash back. The only thing I don't know is if there are any tax implications from the second option. \

Also it has a 1.5% foreign transaction fee. I'm fairly certain the only card that beats it out is the Rogers Platinum Mastercard, and that card has a $29 annual fee while the Tangerine card does not.

djkelly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 09:26:56 PM »
I recommend Scotiabank Visa Momentum Infinite:
4% gas and groceries
2% drug and recurring bill payments
1% everything else

I'd do a Tangerine Mastercard if there was another cateogry I spend enough on to warrant the hassle of carrying another card to get the extra 1%.

I shop at Costco so I needed a Mastercard so I'd also recommend their Costco Capital One card which adds on 3% for restaurants.

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 05:58:08 AM »
4% gas and groceries
1% everything else

I'd do a Tangerine Mastercard if there was another cateogry I spend enough on to warrant the hassle of carrying another card to get the extra 1%.

I shop at Costco so I needed a Mastercard so I'd also recommend their Costco Capital One card which adds on 3% for restaurants.

That 4% on gas and groceries is tempting. What I'd really like is something with a good incentive to sign up....you know, like our American friends seem to get!

AngryOcean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 01:22:12 PM »
4% gas and groceries
1% everything else

I have the Momentum Infiniti card and like it a lot. The only downer is the annual fee,  however, that amount is easily covered if you uise it to purchase almost everything. If you can use that card and add the ebates benefit on top of that, it can be quite lucrative.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 01:28:01 PM »
4% gas and groceries
1% everything else

That is also the main card we use.  The other pisser (besides the annual fee) is they only pay out the cash once yearly..  just after the fee is due.. m'fers.

We have the MBNA MC cashback card as our other card.   Having been screwed by both VISA and MC at least once each over the years, I like to keep one of each in case I have an issue with one of them.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 01:44:45 PM »
The big bonuses are from signing up for new cards. For example, the Scotia Gold Amex is about to give us $300 - our third bonus.

Buy Canadian Tire gift cards at the grocery store, and use them to pay for gas - you get CT money doing it that way.

Just note - shopping at, say, Metro vs No Frills (to get Amex points, say) will cost you a hell of a lot more - staples are 1.25x the price, I find.

There is a good sign up bonus thread at RFD: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/jerrys-list-credit-cards-200-welcome-bonus-aeroplan-amex-mr-1-23-update-1685293/

EarthshipSandra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Darfield Earthship
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 04:31:55 PM »
We use the Capital One Costco membership card (Mastercard). I did a one month cost comparison between Superstore and Costco about 18 months ago and with very little splitting between stores, Costco came out ahead on prices. Superstore was great until a few years ago and then prices there started to climb. So, we buy most of our groceries at Costco...we live rurally and come into the "big" city of Kamloops a few times a week for work (and drive veggie oil vehicles) so with planning we do well on pricing, but also on the cash back from Costco and from Capital One...I think $700 total last year.  I have one VISA that gets charged long distance at 3.9Cents per minute (through Royal Bank). I have not thought about looking at all CCs and what they offer for signing up...sounds like a lot of time, but I've seen others come ahead by $400-$500 doing this so I suppose one way to look at it is an hourly wage for the time invested in research.  We have no debt (at all) and fabulous credit ratings.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 10:17:53 AM »
4% gas and groceries
1% everything else

That 4% on gas and groceries is tempting. What I'd really like is something with a good incentive to sign up....you know, like our American friends seem to get!

I use this card and each of the past two years had over $700 dropped into my account on the anniversary payout date.
Big incentives just don't exist in Canada like they do in the United States.

As for what to get , the list below doesn't get much better or comprehensive in Canada
http://boomerandecho.com/credit-card-offers/

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 10:21:20 AM »
I use MBNA as well.  It's a pleasant surprise to have $50 directly deposited directly into my bank account a few times a year.  :)

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 11:05:09 AM »
I mostly use https://www.ratesupermarket.ca/credit_cards to chose the credit cards that offer the best rewards. Most no-fee cards such as Scene, Capital One, Momentum, Amex Simply Cash, and MBNA MC I got through Rates Supermarket came with interesting Amazon cash credits (between my wife and I, we received $800 in Amazon gift cards since January 2015). For cards with annual fees (RBC Avion, ScotiaBank Amex, TD Aeroplan Visa, Amex Gold, CIBC Aventura, CIBC Aeroplan, BMO World Elite MC, etc.), the fees are usually waived for the first year, so I only use and keep these cards until I get the signup bonus or reach the spending threshold, then cancel before the renewal date. Thanks to the various rewards I got in the past three years, I have not paid more than $70 for my return flights between Calgary where I live and Yellowknife where I work. I have not made the tally but I travel every three to six weeks, so it is at least 20 flights that would have otherwise cost between $450 and $800.

Right now, I have the PC World Elite MC which is my every day card, and I just received the Tangerine Visa, both no-fee cards. I need to check which one offers the best rewards. There is one card I really want, the Amazon no-fee Visa with no-fee foreign exchange which will come handy for a six-month road trip we are planning for the upcoming winter, but for a reason I can't understand, my application was rejected four times and the Amazon folks are refusing to tell me why even if my credit reports show no red flag whatsoever in my credit history.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 05:16:29 PM »
Thats awesome Phil , I will look into that link

I use the Scotia cashback primarily and then keep a CanuckTire MC an a Westjet MC
CanuckTire is great for grocery purchases with the points
I don't travel as much with work anymore so may kill the WestJet card as I don't need the perks
The TD visa has a big bonus on Aeroplan points and so does Amex I think , may be worthwhile

I guess I should just apply for two and cancel the Westjet card once I get them and churn another card in a year like you.

EarthshipSandra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Darfield Earthship
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 11:09:44 AM »
For Canadians:  this just came up in my FB newsfeed.  $300 bonus for getting a chequing account..have to make an appt and there are some requirements. Has anybody signed up for this one yet?

https://300bonus.td.com/?cid=DFA%3A9206523%3A516062%3A125063712%3A0

EarthshipSandra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Darfield Earthship
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 11:42:18 AM »
So, the link I just gave to the $300 bonus sign up for a chequing account is very interesting. I sent the link to my husband and it won't open for him...message says it's not an offer for him.

After digging a bit I figured it out. I applied for and was approved for a TD Visa a few days ago..they obviously send these offers following that. However, I should mention the one I applied for and was approved for is going to be cancelled. The site I found it on indicated the annual fee was waived. I applied, was approved and when I went back to the site, it said nothing about the annual fee. My husband saw the original info, too, so I know I'm not crazy.

I called and confirmed by phone and was reassured that is WAS waived...but the email I had sent as well indicated not waived. So I asked what I should do since I didn't want the card if it had a fee. They told me to cancel it over the phone and cut the card up when I got it. The cash back was $100 if you spent $500 in 3 months...the annual fee was $99...so of course, when I saw fee waived I jumped on it...not such a great deal with the fee.

The bonus for the chequing account is because at the time of signing up for the TD Visa, I was asked (online) if I had a TD chequing account (I didn't)...so very specific targetting. My question is, what will happen when I take my offer on the chequing account in?

You have to set up one of two chequing accounts. One has a fee of $30 and one of $14...fees waived with minimum amounts of $5000 and $4000.  We figured that even if we had to keep the account open for 4 months with a $4000 minimum, the return is WAY better tying up that $4000 for 4 months than it would be for most other investments. And so far, I don't see a minimum requirement to keep the account open. The requirements are a single direct deposit and a payment online of at least $50.

TD does have a VISA no fee card that gives $75 cashback if $500 is spent in 3 months, so maybe that's the one I should apply for.

Have already applied for and been approved for AMEX Gold (25,000 travel  points which is equal to a return flight in North America). Fee waived first year, requirement is to spend $1500 in 6 months.

This is all very strange for us and we are trying to overcome the weirdness of doing this for the financial gain...I'm really, really intrigued by it all despite feeling weird.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 12:37:50 PM »
For Canadians:  this just came up in my FB newsfeed.  $300 bonus for getting a chequing account..have to make an appt and there are some requirements. Has anybody signed up for this one yet?

Big caveats. The amount of rigmarole needed to open/link/close, meet the terms and conditions of the chequing account offers have led me to not bother.

Much easier to do credit cards, IMHO. At least til you run out.

I think I put a link to "Jerry's" thread on RFD somewhere earlier. I'm not saying don't do the chequing account stuff, I'm saying it's much more hassle with the min balance nonsense, the fees, etc. TD is cutting what you get for your 'all inclusive' too. I don't like TD, really - they wrecked a good thing when they took over MBNA (and the new online system is a nightmare).

If you can do it all within an hour, for $300, good for you. I reckon it'd take 2-3. YMMV.

EarthshipSandra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Darfield Earthship
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 02:28:43 PM »
So, after I went to my spreadsheet to check details I'm more perplexed...the card that I am cancelling is with Scotia Bank...must be a complicated set of FB algorithms that led TD to offer me a chequing account bonus.

EarthshipSandra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Darfield Earthship
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 02:37:20 PM »

Big caveats. The amount of rigmarole needed to open/link/close, meet the terms and conditions of the chequing account offers have led me to not bother.

Much easier to do credit cards, IMHO. At least til you run out.

I think I put a link to "Jerry's" thread on RFD somewhere earlier. I'm not saying don't do the chequing account stuff, I'm saying it's much more hassle with the min balance nonsense, the fees, etc. TD is cutting what you get for your 'all inclusive' too. I don't like TD, really - they wrecked a good thing when they took over MBNA (and the new online system is a nightmare).

If you can do it all within an hour, for $300, good for you. I reckon it'd take 2-3. YMMV.

Yes, I print out the email and then make an appointment to set up the account. Out of curiosity I'm going to go this step and see what's involved. I work part time, so at worst this is an exercise in how much I could "make" per hour. Tying up the $4000 might not be a big deal...but we were just getting ready to put another chunk in our TFSAs...so I guess this chequing account isn't a bad place to park it while we decide, as long as it doesn't require a minimum # of months (which is unclear to me as of right now.) 

The other thing I need to get over is the thought of meeting somebody face to face and asking a number of questions that will lead them to figure out what I'm doing...but who cares? These "bonus" offers are loss leaders if you ask me...CC's and banks tolerate the churning because they make such big gains on the offers overall. I guess I will find out if this is worth it. I've never banked at TD before.

EarthshipSandra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Darfield Earthship
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 09:00:37 AM »
So things I have set in motion since last posting:

Signed husband and me up for AMEX Gold Rewards. Spent $500 in first three months receive 25,000 Aeroplan points. Annual fee waived. Although a previous poster was correct that it is more difficult to find places that take AMEX, it wasn't too onerous; in less than a month I logged $500 so now I've set aside the card...the first 20,000 get awarded at about 3 months past the $500 spend and the final 5,000 at the card's 6 month mark as long as the card is still active. Now we are on to husband's card. The big one was that our gym membership takes AMEX for monthly fee of $94 (husband is a triathlete, needs pool three or more times a week, one child is also triathlete, I'm recovering from hip replacement, other two kids use Y regularly).

I did open a TD chequing account and stuck $4200 in it. It took 30 minutes to set it up and so I'm in to this activity for 60 minutes now. I did have to keep gently batting away all suggestions for overdraft, an accompanying savings account etc. I did not hide why I was doing it. The bank rep knew and I was frank that the $300 was too good an opportunity to pass up (if I keep the money there for even 4 months, that's about 18% return...way better than any other investment). I only have to do two of: A direct deposit, a PAD and an online banking item over $50. I've set up my Koodo cell phone bill to come out of there in about two weeks and my hydro bill (which is $60) I will pay online. I will easily meet these requirements within the 45 day restriction.

CIBC VISA Business Aeroplan offers 25,000 points with first use and fee waived first year. The points are awarded as long as the card is active for 3 months.  We have two of these now as well and I've already used the VISA to purchase discounted ink for our business. This has been set aside. I do want to investigate exactly what "active" means. I believe this just means the card is not cancelled..but want to make sure that it doesn't mean something stupid like one use per statement period. There was no clear indication in the fine print for the offer.

I opened a Tangerine chequing account. One PAD or three months of payroll Direct Deposit nets $100. I will open one for my husband, and the two kids who are older than 16. It was easy to activate the account; I stopped by Canada Post in my small town as I was walking my 5km loop with my daughter. It was the first time they'd had anybody open one through their outlet. Took 3 mins.

Just noticed TD VISA has an aeroplan card...waived fee first year and 25,000 points on first use. This offer is open until May so I'm holding off as I am reaching the point where I feel like I'm juggling things, even though I've got spreadsheets and reminders.

So if all is successful, from end of February to whenever each card/account realizes their benefits (late summer):

1,000 cash
150,000 aeroplan points (split between two people). 60,000 points will get a round trip ticket to Europe.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 02:56:41 PM »
Well done, I was just thinking it's time to get rolling on some new cards for boosting my Aeroplan points. I noticed the TD Visa can get up to 40,000 miles if you spend enough and get an associate card. I will look into the AMEX also, do you think signing up for two cards at once will be a problem or should I do one in my name as primary and other sign up through my wife?

I haven't looked into setting up any bank accounts though, I guess I could as that is a nice hack. Too bad the TD account sign up bonus wasn't for anyone else.

ransom132

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2016, 03:04:31 PM »
I applied for the Tangerine CC, but after 1 month, I still didn't get any e-mail. How long did it take you all to get an answer from Tangerine?

Sarnia Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 05:10:22 AM »
I use the Scotiabank Visa Momentum Infinite Card and it has treated me very well.  Last year I got 576$ cash back and the annual fee of 99$ was waived.  It gives 4% cash back on gas/groceries 2% cash back on recurring bills, and 1% cash back on everything else.  As well as the added bonuses of travel insurance, warranty protection, etc.

Right now I have a promotion that wants me to refer new customers to them.  They will extend the first year annual fee waived to you, and give me and you both a $50 statement credit.  Shoot me a message if you are interested and I will give you code.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 08:50:43 AM »
@Sarnia Saver I like my Scotia cutback too

I just signed up for the TD Visa to get the 30,000 Aeroplane bonus and will probably cancel just before the renewal date.

ransom132

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2016, 05:44:31 PM »
I finally received the new Tangerine CC, you get to chose 3 categories in order to receive the 2% which is much better than my preivous RBC Cash back credit card which rewarded 2% only on groceries.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 06:00:10 PM »
I finally received the new Tangerine CC, you get to chose 3 categories in order to receive the 2% which is much better than my preivous RBC Cash back credit card which rewarded 2% only on groceries.

... and 0.5% elsewhere on the RBC one (for the first $6k IIRC? Then it's 1%). They are really not competitive... inertia, I guess.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2016, 10:31:58 PM »
4% gas and groceries
1% everything else

+1 for the Scotiabank Visa Momentum Infinite card. It's benefits are the best bang for your buck. We use this cc for everything and our returns are very nice. It's also cheaper than many of the other premium cards.

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 06:51:36 PM »
4% gas and groceries
1% everything else

+1 for the Scotiabank Visa Momentum Infinite card. It's benefits are the best bang for your buck. We use this cc for everything and our returns are very nice. It's also cheaper than many of the other premium cards.

I had been considering this card for a while and a couple months ago noticed a promotion where you got $100 back after a $500 spend in the first 3 months, plus for a limited time they would waive your first annual fee. I printed off the screen and signed up. Of course they charged the annual fee on the first statement and when I called they said the $100 cash back after $500 spend was the annual fee waive, fortunately I had the print out and brought it in to my branch and was credited.

No one has mentioned the best thing about this card yet, which is that, since it offers 4% cashback on grocery store purchases, and since most grocery stores offer an assortment of giftcards to other retailers including hardware stores, online retailers and restaurants, you really have a much broader 4% category then at first it seems! It might require a bit more forethought and/or inconvenience but the potential is there.

Mega

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2016, 11:10:28 AM »
MBNA World Elite: 2% cash back on everything! You have to spend above like 10-20k, or have an income above 70k to qualify.

And the best part is... I don't have to pay the annual fee, as thy waived it when I was going to cancel a previous card several years ago. Thy definitely benefitted from that decision given my spend is ~20k + per year (travel for work).

You can try getting te annual fee waived. If it works, you will never look back.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2016, 12:41:31 PM »
MBNA World Elite: 2% cash back on everything! You have to spend above like 10-20k, or have an income above 70k to qualify.

And the best part is... I don't have to pay the annual fee, as thy waived it when I was going to cancel a previous card several years ago. Thy definitely benefitted from that decision given my spend is ~20k + per year (travel for work).

You can try getting te annual fee waived. If it works, you will never look back.

That was a thing a few years ago; you could get upgraded to the permanently-fee-free version. Doesn't exist any more, AFAIK.

At 20k spend it'd be worth paying for over a 1% card anyway. Though free is of course better :P