Author Topic: Car key duplicate? (Honda)  (Read 4345 times)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
Car key duplicate? (Honda)
« on: November 26, 2017, 08:52:05 PM »
When I bought my car, it came with only one key. I hear they can wear out over time and I want to have a spare! It would be fine if if was a valet key even. It's a 2011 Fit if that matters.

Anyway, does anyone have a preferred source for this? Everything online looks kinda sketchy and I hear ordering from the dealer can be hella pricey.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Car key duplicate? (Honda)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 09:10:34 PM »
We ordered blanks from on line sources, but you need two keys to program a third on your own.  (you can use the car to program them, but there is a sequence of putting two keys in and out, and then the third one).

Look up how to program Honda Car Keys, and see if you can do it with just one.  Otherwise, you will need to pay the dealer (or someone) to reprogram it.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:54:54 PM »
I bought a used Volvo a few yrs ago that only came with one key.  The dealer wanted an insane amount and I couldn't find another source - I could buy the key online, but only the dealer could program it (that might be different now).
I put over a foot of bright, thick yarn on the key to ensure that I didn't lose it.

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 03:08:19 PM »
Look up how to program Honda Car Keys, and see if you can do it with just one.  Otherwise, you will need to pay the dealer (or someone) to reprogram it.

Definitely seek recs for local auto locksmiths. I was charged just $80 to cut 2 new emergency fob keys and reprogram my Prius to accept 2 other USED fobs.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:56:09 AM »

http://www.keylessride.com/order/quote.asp?lbfix=yes&make=Honda&remoteyear=2011&model=Fit&frid=4A680064

I always use these people.     Unfortunately it says a 2011 Honda fit key has to be programmed by the dealer or a lock smith.

The blank is 48$ =/

There is a local guy that drives around in a beat up minivan that specializes in car key Fobs.  He is usually 1/2 dealer price for programming and will come to you.

Find a guy like this in your area.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 08:08:33 AM »
Anyway, does anyone have a preferred source for this? Everything online looks kinda sketchy and I hear ordering from the dealer can be hella pricey.

Here's something weird we discovered when getting a second key for our Honda - different dealerships charge drastically different rates for the same thing.
Called 3 dealerships all within 30 miles of us.
Dealer #1 was ~$140
Dealer #2 was ~$85
Dealer #3 was ~$30

We wound up getting two keys from dealer #3.  I was so flummuxed by the differences in prices I got talking to the sales guy, who basically told me that some service departments view it as a way of making a lot of easy money since keys are constantly lost, whereas others see it as a loss-leader, bascially getting you to bring in your car and "oh, while I"m here can you look at this squeek and do a realignment".

tl-dr; Call a few dealerships and get quotes.   

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 12:13:57 PM »

Here's something weird we discovered when getting a second key for our Honda - different dealerships charge drastically different rates for the same thing.
Dealer #1 was ~$140
Dealer #2 was ~$85
Dealer #3 was ~$30

We wound up getting two keys from dealer #3.  I was so flummuxed by the differences in prices I got talking to the sales guy, who basically told me that some service departments view it as a way of making a lot of easy money since keys are constantly lost, whereas others see it as a loss-leader, bascially getting you to bring in your car and "oh, while I"m here can you look at this squeek and do a realignment".

Ha.  Now that is practical, actionable advice.  +1

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 09:17:05 PM »

Dealer #1 was ~$140
Dealer #2 was ~$85
Dealer #3 was ~$30

Ha.  Now that is practical, actionable advice.  +1
Except the tl-dr should be at the top