Author Topic: Car Insurance?  (Read 1451 times)

wantstoinvest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Car Insurance?
« on: August 15, 2023, 03:11:22 PM »
Hi everyone is there a decent place to get a new car insurance quote? I live in Brooklyn and drive a 2020 Corolla
that's fully paid off and the first quote I got was for $6000 a year!

Is there any company you guys have used that is reasonable?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Car Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 05:16:14 PM »
I've used Progressive for over 15 years and have been pretty happy with it (both pricing and handling of a few incidents). Worth getting quotes from a bunch though. If you have access to USAA I've heard very good things.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 05:25:36 PM »
I've been using USAA for years. One thing to note is the insurance coverage for members who are officers in the military is different (and better) from those who received membership because a family member was an officer or they're enlisted.

Customer service has been great - though every accident or claim I've ever had the other driver was at fault so their insurance handled everything.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 03:00:27 PM »
Search out an independent insurance agent/office. They can run your details across many insurance companies and help find a winner based on the specific needs.

slick828

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 03:56:18 PM »
Whenever I've solicited auto insurance quotations we always end up with GEICO.

SpaceCow

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2023, 06:05:34 AM »
Just had to shop for insurance recently. GEICO wanted to quoted me almost double what Progressive charged! I went with Progressive.

roomtempmayo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2023, 08:00:15 AM »
Hi everyone is there a decent place to get a new car insurance quote? I live in Brooklyn and drive a 2020 Corolla
that's fully paid off and the first quote I got was for $6000 a year!

Is there any company you guys have used that is reasonable?

Our local AAA office will draw quotes from the major companies.  We ended up with a Progressive auto policy and a AAA agent.

Must_ache

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 10:17:30 AM »
Don't forget State Farm, Nationwide, Allstate, Erie....
Shop around

I work as an actuary setting insurance rates. 
Can't say I've done personal lines in New York in quite some time, but I'm not going to say $6,000 in Brooklyn is wrong.

The fact that the car is paid off has pretty much NOTHING to do with the insurance rate.  A good insurance score will help, but you are still driving around an almost $20K car in a super high traffic area.   It only means you won't be required by a lender to carry physical damage coverage unless you want to.  Probably lots of accidents due to high population density, and perhaps in the case of injury New York might be a very litigious state (not sure) keeping liability costs high.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 10:24:04 AM by Must_ache »