Author Topic: Caffeine Pills - stay with me here...  (Read 9387 times)

livewire516

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Caffeine Pills - stay with me here...
« on: May 18, 2019, 06:58:38 AM »
I'm going to argue that caffeine pills are a huge money saver.

I am a caffeine addict -- not doubt about it. I love, love, love my morning coffee. However, if I'm caught on the run, or I forgot to make coffee at home, I'm refuse to stop somewhere and fork out a few bucks for coffee that'll probably suck anyway.

A bottle of 100, 200 mg, tablets is around $7. So at 7 cents a (big) dose, you can avoid the lines, the sucky coffee, the risk of spilling it down your shirt (we're rushing, remember?), and the environmental waste of a single-use container. With a cup* of coffee having around 45mg of caffeine, a split tablet would be roughly comparable your typical 12 oz coffee *(a 'cup' of tea or coffee is strangely 6 oz, not 8 oz...also it's worth noting there's huge variation in caffeine content within coffee). By around the third time you've tried this trick, it's already paid for itself.

Sure, you could grin and bear it - but feeling dimwitted with a slight headache doesn't seem really badass to me. I don't like taking a Tylenol or Advil for the headache and I'd still be cognitively duller until I have my fix (the first step is admitting you have a problem). I'd much prefer the days when I can take my time and enjoy my coffee - but when that doesn't happen, that has saved my hide a couple times.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Caffeine Pills - stay with me here...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 08:52:36 AM »
Sure. Uppers when you need a pick me up. Downers will you need to chill. Sounds great for your health. /s

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 09:35:49 AM »
That wouldn't work for me.  I drink coffee because I really like the taste.  In fact, I drink mostly decaf to make a point of avoiding the caffeine.  You're taking the caffeine to avoid the coffee.  lol

philli14

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 05:22:23 PM »
Absolutely - love my caffeine pills. Have one at work and one in the car, emergency in the event that I'm ever driving late and getting drowsy. Also helps for longer car rides, get the caffeine without having the liquids and having to stop as frequently to use the rest room.

Just is extra important to make sure you're getting adequate hydration with the pill. I've never had any issues and they are CHEAP.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 06:58:18 AM »
Sure. Uppers when you need a pick me up. Downers will you need to chill. Sounds great for your health. /s

Sure, but that's applicable to EVERY COFFEE drinker on the MMM Forum (excluding decaf folks). I don't think anyone's arguing that it isn't better to instead eat a good diet and get sleep so that you don't need any sort of upper, but good luck finding people that stick to that instead of going to caffeine sometimes. Also, don't see any mention of downers in OP's post. But again, I bet there are plenty of folks on this forum that partake in alcohol sometimes.

Yes, the pills are one of the cheapest caffeine fixes available. I've used them to stay awake in places where I can't have coffee, and they're cheaper than Monster.

ApacheStache

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 09:08:53 AM »
Also helps for longer car rides, get the caffeine without having the liquids and having to stop as frequently to use the rest room.

I may need to keep this in mind for long road trips. It's also worth mentioning that caffeine pills won't give you coffee breath.

SwitchActiveDWG

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 09:24:36 AM »
I'm a huge fan of caffeine pills used as a substitute for a pre-workout supplement. Pre-workout supplements are often [caffeine] + [things I'm not willing to pay for] for ~$1+ per serving. Caffeine pills have the caffeine and are extremely cheap.

I do drink black coffee on days that I don't lift weights, because I do love the taste.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 10:42:17 AM »

Water for when you're dehydrated and food for when you're starving.  What weaknesses we have as humans.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 10:13:52 PM »
Tried em. First day felt effing amazing, most productive work day ever. Rest of the week good. Next week back to normal. Couldn't ever get that focus from the first day back. Coffee tastes great, I'm "trained" to wake up with it, and it has more than caffeine (helps the uh.... digestive system). Coffee>pill, for me.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 02:52:36 AM »
I use to be in the Trucking industry and this was quite common for long haul drivers But for me there is something about taking a pill that mentally makes it seemingly more an addictive thing. Plus like others I like my coffee. But hey to each there own. They been around for ever for a reason.

PJC74

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 09:39:25 AM »
love caffeine pills. My teeth do, too!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 03:10:45 AM »
love caffeine pills. My teeth do, too!

True dat! u dont have to worry about coffee stains! haha

YYK

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 09:09:32 AM »
I'm a huge fan of caffeine pills used as a substitute for a pre-workout supplement. Pre-workout supplements are often [caffeine] + [things I'm not willing to pay for] for ~$1+ per serving. Caffeine pills have the caffeine and are extremely cheap.

I do drink black coffee on days that I don't lift weights, because I do love the taste.

Ditto on this. I use half a pill, so 100mg, pre-workout. A whole pill gives me jitters and makes me a little sick to my stomach, and less than half doesn't do much. I'm not a coffee or tea drinker so this is my only caffeine intake, three times a week. I hope I'm not addicted. I also find this very useful for long drives.

bray144k

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 01:37:20 PM »
I'm all for cheap caffeine. I have been using Jet Alert (less than $3 for 90 tablets) for as long as I can remember. Not everyday, but great when needed. Another go to is Great Value Energy Packets. A few dollars replaces my craving for energy drinks.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 05:18:30 AM »
Be careful. I’m pretty sure I saw an episode of Saved by the Bell where Jesse Spano’s life started to go off the rails after abusing caffeine pills :D

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 04:08:42 PM »
Be careful. I’m pretty sure I saw an episode of Saved by the Bell where Jesse Spano’s life started to go off the rails after abusing caffeine pills :D

This was my first thought!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 03:47:12 AM »

This was my first thought!

I’m just happy that reference didn’t go over everyone’s head. I made a saved by the Bell reference with a younger coworker once and she looked at me like I was a lunatic :D

NGeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 08:57:47 AM »
I get that people don't like the notion of taking a "pill," but it's a heck of a lot healthier and cheaper than all those "energy drinks" they sell in convenience stores etc (that are basically the same thing + 50g of sugar at 1000% markup). The cost of regularly buying coffee at shops is absolutely ridiculous too. I enjoy drinking Coffee, but in the past, when I was travelling or couldn't have a nice coffee, I regularly had some tablets on hand. Nowadays, I usually take the time to make my own coffee, even while travelling. Some comforts are worth an effort.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2019, 07:38:04 PM »

When I was doing a very heavy training regimen to prepare for a boxing match (not to brag, but I came in 2nd!) I kept a "workout boost" supplement in my gym bag. It was just a dose of caffeine, and it really worked. I was wrapping up a 2-hour session and feeling very tired, then took it, and was able to jump rope another 30 minutes with no problem.

Like some others here, I like decaf black coffee and lattes, and unless I want to get some extra focus on specific work I'm doing, I generally stick with decaf.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 10:44:39 AM »
Yes, I am late to this topic, but I love caffeine pills.  I use 100Mg pills that I cut in half to make 50mg.  I use them when I can't get my mid-day cup of tea and they save me from getting a headache.  So on a hike, or a bike ride or at Girl Scout camp or something like that.  They are a lifesaver.  I keep them in my purse (cut in half of course!). 

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2019, 03:48:17 PM »
I tried caffeine and it made my eye lids twitch and give me a sour stomach, so not for me.

Phenix

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2019, 10:00:39 AM »
I saw these on the counter at the gas station yesterday.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FNI6JG2
I think it's more to help people quit using tobacco products, but it could still be a little caffeine boost on a long trip without the extra liquid intake.