Author Topic: Buy It For Life!  (Read 300144 times)

EricL

Re: Buy It For Life!
« Reply #200 on: December 31, 2014, 08:13:08 AM »
I've yet to own it long enough to tell, but for a BIFL umbrella the Unbreakable Unbrella is a contender.  It's made not so much for staying dry as a for self defense but it does the first well enough.  Just don't expect the large version to work well if you whup somebody's ass with it. 

http://real-self-defense.com/unbreakable-umbrella/

This looks insane; are you in Beirut or Gotham City?  $140 is nuts for a bartitsu trinket.
Unfortunately not all BIFL items can be cheap.  But if it's the last umbrella I own that works for me. Plus it was a gift. 
Cobblepot isn't as scary as John Steed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:21:50 AM by EricL »

Breaker

• Stubble
« Reply #201 on: January 12, 2015, 09:23:29 AM »
Problem with BIFL, is that sometimes it doesn't work.  I bought Levelor cellular blinds for several windows and 1 sliding glass door.  I don't really expect them to last a lifetime but I did expect them to last 10 years.  The windows are fine but the one on the door is broken approx. 3 years later.  The Company no longer supports this particular design so I can't get the parts to fix them.  I suspect that the Co. knew that this part was not strong enough to lift the weight of a door size blind but sold it anyway.  After much haggling they offered $100. off but the blind costs 3 times that amount.  I have ordered drapes from Penny on sale and Levelor has lost a customer. 

I also put in some dual paned windows and doors.  The first Company is out of business so the guarantee is kaput too. 

QuickBooks drives me crazy.  They keep updating their product but it now does much more than I need for my Company.  They quit supporting their software after 3 or 4 years and the only help they will give is to sell you a new version at full price.  So far I have managed to keep my 2009 version running.  I have the suspicion that they are not the only software Company to play that game. 

I have heard that Dewalt tools is particularly good in that they support their tools for life.  So does REI..

What Companies have you bought items from that were to last long term but the product didn't last and the Company didn't back their product?

jenger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2015, 10:49:40 PM »
My first mustachian post! 

All-American Pressure Canner.  No gaskets to hassle with.  Quite expensive up front, but it will last many lifetimes!!  What could be more mustachian than canning your own meats, and preserving your home grown veggies and fruits??

SONKEV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2015, 10:07:24 PM »
http://ilequipment.com/

Backbacks that will outlive you. They are in style NOW. Looks epic with tons of styles.

My friends actually hand makes them in Berkeley, California.

Take a peek!

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2015, 01:11:39 PM »

Problem with BIFL, is that sometimes it doesn't work.  I bought Levelor cellular blinds for several windows and 1 sliding glass door.  I don't really expect them to last a lifetime but I did expect them to last 10 years.  The windows are fine but the one on the door is broken approx. 3 years later.  The Company no longer supports this particular design so I can't get the parts to fix them.  I suspect that the Co. knew that this part was not strong enough to lift the weight of a door size blind but sold it anyway.  After much haggling they offered $100. off but the blind costs 3 times that amount.  I have ordered drapes from Penny on sale and Levelor has lost a customer. 

I also put in some dual paned windows and doors.  The first Company is out of business so the guarantee is kaput too. 

QuickBooks drives me crazy.  They keep updating their product but it now does much more than I need for my Company.  They quit supporting their software after 3 or 4 years and the only help they will give is to sell you a new version at full price.  So far I have managed to keep my 2009 version running.  I have the suspicion that they are not the only software Company to play that game. 

I have heard that Dewalt tools is particularly good in that they support their tools for life.  So does REI..

What Companies have you bought items from that were to last long term but the product didn't last and the Company didn't back their product?

It always comes back to caveat emptor, which is why I try to crowd source through here and reddit. Reddit seems mostly infatuated with boots and knives, not much else though. Except the well worn battle cry of lodge skillets.

I've found that actually collecting on a warranty or guarantee is usually a hassle, and I prefer things that won't break in the first place.

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2015, 01:22:03 PM »
If I had to live my life over again, I would spend money on buying a decent set of Pots and Pans from the get go.
Here is a set that will last literally forever!
ALL CLAD Cookware

ALL Clad- Made in the USA.
I am military and every pcs I would buy a new TFAL set for 200 dollars. By the end of the 3 year time period they were ruined.
The ALL CLad pots and pans I have now have been with me for 5 years and look brand new. Anytime they need to be cleaned I just rub some  barkeepers friend on them and they shine like new.
Buy it once and you are done.

[Mod Edit: Referral link removed.]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:50:46 PM by arebelspy »

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2015, 01:25:30 PM »
another buy it once item is Shun Knives
They have a lifetime sharpening guarantee. Anytime they get dull, send them in for free sharpening. They are super sharp!
I have 3 and will no longer buy knives again.l That is better than buying the 99 dollar knife sets at BedBath and Beyond!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:50:20 PM by arebelspy »

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »
I have a Carhartt jacket that was purchased over sized when i was 14. I'm 28 and still wear it. It is very worn now, but i put it threw a lot. I was working with a chimney sweep at 14, and have done tons of side work and abuse in that jacket.

Work gave me a new one, but i still prefer the broken in old one.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2015, 05:22:14 PM »

If I had to live my life over again, I would spend money on buying a decent set of Pots and Pans from the get go.
Here is a set that will last literally forever!
ALL CLAD Cookware

ALL Clad- Made in the USA.
I am military and every pcs I would buy a new TFAL set for 200 dollars. By the end of the 3 year time period they were ruined.
The ALL CLad pots and pans I have now have been with me for 5 years and look brand new. Anytime they need to be cleaned I just rub some  barkeepers friend on them and they shine like new.
Buy it once and you are done.

I put these in my wish list. Maybe next Christmas, I like the idea of the lifetime guarantee.
The cast iron I have is fine but very unwieldy. More for bar pizzas than anything else!

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2015, 06:56:38 AM »
Ortlieb back roller panniers (for a bicycle). They are expensive, but I've had mine for years and aside from a scuff or two they show no signs of wear.  They are very water proof; as long as you don't submerge them the stuff inside will stay dry. They are also really easy to take on and off the rack.

Another nice thing about them is that if you some how *do* break it, almost all the parts are available for sale on Ortlieb's website for reasonable prices, so you can fix it rather than buying a new one.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: January 26, 2015, 01:13:49 PM »
Because DH knows how to fix appliances, we always choose Miele. They last a long time, and have a warranty that you can get hold of parts for 20 years. One of our first appartments had an ancient washing machine, I guess at least 25 or 30 years old. Something broke, and DH contacted Miele to get parts. The parts arrived a couple of days later, and cost us less than $20.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #211 on: February 02, 2015, 04:45:12 AM »
Ortlieb back roller panniers (for a bicycle).

+1 for Ortlieb stuff. I especially like their bike messenger style backpacks Ortlieb Velocity (20L) or larger Ortlieb Messenger Bag (30L)
They're pretty expensive but very durable. + when you ride your bike a lot, you'll want to carry your stuff safe and dry.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2015, 02:05:06 PM »
Another +1 for Ortlieb stuff.  I have an Ortlieb backpack that I use every work day.  Like the other posters say, they're sturdy and waterproof.  Although expensive, I will gladly pay for a replacement when I need it.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: March 31, 2015, 12:43:08 AM »
I use my grandmother's copper-bottom Revereware on a daily basis. Widely available in thrift shops at affordable prices.

https://fisherblacksmithing.com/ Iron & Wood hand-forged garden tools.

Things I don't actually own, but I hear are BIFL:

http://www.duluthpack.com/ Duluth Pack bags and backpacks

Max Mara camelhair trenchcoats

Birkin bags

(Hey, you said BIFL, not affordable. :D)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #214 on: March 31, 2015, 01:10:57 AM »
Another +1 for Ortlieb stuff.  I have an Ortlieb backpack that I use every work day.  Like the other posters say, they're sturdy and waterproof.  Although expensive, I will gladly pay for a replacement when I need it.

If it needs replacing someday, is it really BIFL??

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #215 on: March 31, 2015, 05:01:21 AM »
Not literally ;-)
But a backpack that lasts way longer than any alternatives, can be used daily for like 5 - 10 years, doesn't get out of fashion and will be replaced by the exact same model because it's a timeless design gets pretty close.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: April 01, 2015, 12:17:59 AM »
Point taken, DagoberDuck!

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #217 on: April 01, 2015, 05:25:48 AM »
A couple of things that I had for years

J Henckles Knives - 15 years

Pyrex Glass Measuring cups - 20 years. I do hand wash most of the time so the writing doesnt come off

All-Clad pots and pans. I had a set for almost 15 years and I cook 5 days a week and they still look and work wonderfully. Sometimes use Barkeepers to keep looking nice.

Clark Shoes - last pair lasted 8 years

user43423

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Deep Value
« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2015, 05:33:37 PM »
Wow really glad I came across this, and thanks for sharing that subreddit! I'm a big believer in buying things of high quality that will retain their value/utility for many years. Even if that means paying more upfront for it. I've found this isn't readily embraced by the FI community which has always confounded me. I made a post on my blog about buying "quality items" if anyone is interested in reading it: http://www.valueiswhatyouget.com/blog/2015/2/8/only-buy-assets

• A Good Chef's Knife: I'm currently using a Shun Chef's Knife that I absolutely love. If you take care of it, it will last a lifetime.
  • A Good Backpack:I've been using the same one since 7th grade from Marmot that is still wonderful. Best zipper ever!

Mod Note: Referral links removed.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:30:07 AM by arebelspy »

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #219 on: April 07, 2015, 09:12:17 PM »
Vasque hiking boots - I've had them for 17 years! Disclaimer: I really wanted these boots because they were "trendy" at my middle school/junior high at the time.  I've gotten a lot of use out of them, especially in the last few years, and ttey are still in great condition. Also, older The North Face jackets. I have a Denali fleece jacket that I had for a good 10 years before I unfortunately misplaced it. It seemed a lot thicker and more durable then the newer TNF jackets, but I am sure that is true for a lot of clothing brands. If I need another TNF jacket, I will look on eBay for a vintage one.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #220 on: April 24, 2015, 02:15:42 PM »
I'm not a big fan of cast-iron pots and pans.  I use Magnalite cast aluminum.   They have a 50-year warranty.  My set is about 18 years old and going strong.  think my grandmother used hers for about  30-40 years (before she stopped cooking).

I bought a Craftsman garden trowel 15 years ago.  Lifetime warranty.  The rubber handle cover split after about 9 years - I took it in and they handed me a brand-new one.  I still use that one. 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #221 on: May 12, 2015, 01:15:52 PM »
Heritage Artisan Pots / pans

Heavy Cast Aluminum, with non-stick finish.

https://www.starfrit.com/en/heritage-artisan-10-piece-cookware-set

I bought this when I returned another brand and could only get in-store credit.  For $20 for the large 13" pan, I was not expecting a lot. But-- Wow.  NO warping, which even pricey brands can do.  Performs better than my friend's All-clad which is beautiful but heavy and pricey.   I did not realize it was non-stick at first because the finish is so hard / integrated, like my old smaller cast-iron pan, but totally non-stick.  Used for at least 1 year now (heavy use / abuse) and looks / acts like new.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #222 on: June 11, 2015, 07:28:25 AM »
This is the logic I apply to pretty much everything I buy.  Depending on the price, I can spend weeks researching the 'best' item in that category.

I shop solely using slickdeals.net or camelcamelcamel.com and wait for a huge sale.
Usually a deal for 60-70%+ comes around every few years. I just set up alerts on slickdeals and wait!

Some of my 'lifer' consumer goods:

AllClad Pots + Pans
Thermoworks Thermapen Thermometer
Global Knives (G-2, G-12, GSF-46, GS-3, GS-14,G-46, GKS-210,G-9, G-56)
Boos Cutting Blocks (End Grain Maple!)
Staub Enameled Cast Iron Cookware - Cocottte
KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer
Omega 8006 Juicer
iRobot Roomba 560 (brings multitasking to a new level!)
Tempurpedic Pillows (pillow still good after 8 years!)
ExOfficio Men's Give-N-Go Boxer Brief
Trek (7.3FX) Bicycle
Maxpedition Backpacks (Stika Gearslinger)
LL Bean Down Sleeping Bags
Eneloop rechargeable batteries
Craftsman Tools (older models, Made in USA)
Hotel Collection Down Comforter (from Macys)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:58:32 PM by bryan995 »

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #223 on: June 12, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »
Briggs and Riley luggage.  Pricey, but worth it- the luggage has a lifetime guarantee.

I've had mine for almost 10 years and it still looks almost brand new.  Even if a strap gets cut, etc- I just take it in to an affiliate store, and they order a replacement strap or whatever and fix it, free of charge. 

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #224 on: July 05, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
We've gone through a couple of Wamsutta cotton sheets. The fitted sheets eventually rip. They are $25-30 apiece.

I was searching for a better brand, and it turns out that back in the day, at least in France, couples would get a set of heirloom 100% linen sheets as a wedding gift, and they would last two or three generations.

The best online source I found for linen sheets, aside from hit-or-miss ebay, is Rough Linen. These are made-in-California luxury sheets, in European style, meaning there is one large flat sheet for the bottom instead of a fitted, no top sheet, and a duvet. One queen sheet costs $154. I can buy 9 of Ikea's most expensive fitted sheets for that price, and altogether they'd probably last a decade or two, compared to a potential lifetime for a linen sheet.

I might do better by buying bed sheet linen by the yard and making my own. With this fabric, it would be about $60 for the same size sheet. I ordered swatches to compare.

Does anyone have 100% linen sheets? Are they worth the expense? Any alternate recommendations?

Hey velocistar237, it's been a while since you posted the above.  What was the outcome, if any, of your ongoing research?  We just wore through a really expensive set of high thread count cotton, and though they lasted a good four years, I'm wondering if we can do better with replacement.  Any help from you quarter?  I'm prepared to make my own if need be.  Thanks -

Widget

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #225 on: July 06, 2015, 04:11:58 PM »
I know this is an old thread but for those interested I created a website a while back to feature what this thread discusses, BIFL products. I focused on featuring products with lifetime warranties and I list a bunch of product information for each product that I feature. If anyone wants to check it out the site is http://LastMeALifetime.com/

Thanks for sharing! 

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #226 on: July 08, 2015, 10:20:44 AM »
Eastpack bags.
I have a few shoulder bags and a luggage, they never disappointed me.
One of them lived through all of my university years, all of my brother's, and it's still as good as new.

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #227 on: July 08, 2015, 10:29:33 AM »
A good, pre-1940s cast iron pan and a red oxx piece of luggage. My wife and I each have an air boss, and they are amazing! Most of the time, we only pack one. Super durable, light, and spacious.

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #228 on: July 08, 2015, 10:35:11 AM »
Also--Case jack knives, Marshalltown trowels and a Nalgene silo. I used to work archaeology, and these (along with that red oxx) comprised my core gear. They have taken many, many beatings and I still use them (with slightly less regularity) today.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »
thank you for this tip.  I "fixed" a dent this morning in my son's kanteen.  back to sitting flat :-)
The one thing I hate about his kanteen is the colorful paint which is chipping off in droves.
I wish I had purchased an unpainted one!

Sadly, I tend to purchase disposable... my tastes appear to change every ~5 years or so.
nonetheless, I really enjoyed reading through this thread.

If they bulge out after getting dropped a few gentle taps with a hammer will dent them back in enough to stabilize the kanteen for proper sitting.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2015, 04:26:39 PM »
I recently bought a set of stainless steel drinking straws:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0100SQY7O?psc=1

They are great for smoothies and clean up easily. No more $$ spent in straws for smoothies for the kids and no more plastic straws going into the landfill from my household.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2015, 10:35:42 PM »
SurgeX surge eliminator. Very superior in both performance and service life to any surge suppressors with sacrificial MOVs.

kiwidollabill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2015, 07:31:07 PM »
I now have my dads wool Swanndri http://www.swanndri.co.nz coat, he bought it 30+ years ago and wore it all winter when farming.  It needs a little bit of sewing but is very warm and in great condition considering the use.

My father in law is a rep for a local industrial work gear company, got some Caharrt pants off him a while ago and a bit disapointed with the quality.  However the Bisley overalls he gave me are great. 

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #233 on: July 26, 2015, 01:31:33 PM »
I love Corelle dishes! 

I realize this is a really old thread, but I admit after years of refusing to use them because I didn't think they are at all stylish, I caved. My parents and grandparents had them forever.  Corning was the major employer on my 5 hour rural drive to college, I have been to the museum!  ugh

as years went by and my pretty ceramic dishes chipped and showed knife scratches, were not kid friendly, broke and took up 4x the space of Corelle in my cupboard.  I went to the Corelle website, found a modern design I actually liked, not seen in stores, sale and coupons, etc from wherever I found them cheapest. And I am an unlikely convert.

And one other thing- tervis large (24 oz) tumblers I love, they keep drinks cold for hours, no sweating, have not faded or got cloudy in the dishwasher, have lids that can be completely closed. I got them at BBB with coupon but if you keep a close eye, they clearance old patterns at close to 75% off when you use the coupon, at that price, a no brainer.  Someone else said they returned theirs. I was a hospice home nurse, my drink with ice stayed cold even in summer heat and being left in a car for a good 6 hrs. 

RExplorer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #234 on: July 26, 2015, 03:32:30 PM »
Tom Bihn bags. Made in U.S.   I've had mine for several years and it still looks like it did the day I got it. I bought it as my knitting bag, but use it as a carry-on for travel, for camping, car travel, indoors, outdoors, you name it. I often stuff it full/overflowing. Initially I hesitated on the price, but it turns out to be money well spent. 

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #235 on: July 26, 2015, 07:17:46 PM »
I went to the Corelle website, found a modern design I actually liked, not seen in stores, sale and coupons, etc from wherever I found them cheapest. And I am an unlikely convert.

Which pattern did you go with? We didn't like very many patterns and ended up going with a discontinued one via thrifting and ebay.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #236 on: July 26, 2015, 07:39:54 PM »
I went to the Corelle website, found a modern design I actually liked, not seen in stores, sale and coupons, etc from wherever I found them cheapest. And I am an unlikely convert.

Which pattern did you go with? We didn't like very many patterns and ended up going with a discontinued one via thrifting and ebay.

http://www.corelle.com/impressions-soleil-roses-16-pc-dinnerware-set/1109167.html#sz=36&start=75

I just noticed the Corelle website has way more pages of patterns to pick from than when I got these a few years ago. I wish I could remember for sure where I found them cheapest, I think it might have been target.com.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: July 26, 2015, 08:07:49 PM »
+1 for Corelle.  I have the solid white, nicely minimalist.

Bought them when my daughter was a toddler as she liked to help in the kitchen. Figured I'd go back to my hand painted stoneware when she was old enough to handle those.  17 years later, she's going to college and she's selling the stoneware for me online before she goes; we're splitting the proceeds.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #238 on: August 04, 2015, 08:45:45 PM »
I have a Tensor desk lamp (in bright yellow) that I have been using for 30+ years. Before that it belonged to my parents, and I think it was made in the 1960's or 1970's. The Tensor company no longer exists, but the lamp is going strong. I have no problem finding replacement bulbs to fit the lamp.

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #239 on: August 06, 2015, 06:26:56 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention socks. We get the "All Day Socks" from supermarkets and el cheapo department stores in Australia. They're not buy it for life, but buy it for 10+years is certainly feasible. They are SO comfortable and last forever, and the bonus is it is really easy to tell whose socks are whose (any all-black socks tend to migrate to my husband's sock drawer, regardless of size). I'm on to my second lot of socks. The previous ones lasted for about 10 years with each pair being worn approx once per fortnight for nearly 10 years. They didn't actually fall apart but the material became super uncomfortable and started rubbing on my feet.

My vote on socks is the Darn Tough brand.  They're made in Vermont, and I've been literally unable to wear a pair out.

I've even started an experiment this year - I've been wearing the same pair literally every workday since January, and I'm going to see how long I can go.  They are showing almost no wear so far.  I wash 'em once a week (yes they're a bit smelly by Friday but I work in a factory so no big deal).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: August 06, 2015, 12:10:48 PM »
I purchased my first pair of Darn Tough socks 6 months ago .. So far, so good.

Edit: darn auto correct!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:51:54 PM by 1967mama »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #241 on: August 06, 2015, 04:49:36 PM »
Also bought Darn Tough for the first time this winter and so far, so good. I basically don't wear socks in the summer, so it's been a limited test so far.

DrJohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #242 on: August 14, 2015, 04:21:17 AM »
Dr Martens Buy It For Life

http://drmartensforlife.com/the-guarantee/

For life.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #243 on: August 14, 2015, 12:41:10 PM »
Dr Martens Buy It For Life

http://drmartensforlife.com/the-guarantee/

For life.
+1 Mine are 20 years old this year! (Shoe style)

Scooter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #244 on: August 16, 2015, 11:38:27 AM »
I have a North Face backpack that I bought in 94'. After more than 20 years of traveling the world's funnest places (military) it's still as solid as the day I bought it. The color has faded though.

I have a few fishing poles that are pretty old and most golf clubs will pretty much last forever.

grebel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #245 on: August 17, 2015, 08:59:46 AM »
I'll put in a good word for Kent Wang Polos: http://www.kentwang.com/polos. I've had one since 2011, wear them every week to work (and because I walk a few miles a day in a DC summer, they get pretty sweaty). No wear or tear. 100% cotton, excellent collar construction. Look fly with a classic look and durable construction. Original was in Navy blue and I just bought a grey one. Love these!

grebel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #246 on: August 17, 2015, 09:03:03 AM »
For men's dress shoes Allen Edmonds...I am getting a pair, lots of reports of these getting more than ten years.  http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF2143_1_40000000001_-1

Anyone else know men's clothing brands for dress or casual wear?

Highly recommend Russel moccasins: http://www.russellmoccasin.com/. They are not cheap, come custom made to your feet. Well worth it though! The big kicker for me was they make a barefoot last (shoe mold), so I could get high quality mocs, great for casual and hiking, and they are pretty bifl (you can basically get them completely rebuilt)

MontaniTrout

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #247 on: August 19, 2015, 10:32:53 AM »
A few things that are built for life that I have used:
     - Tupperware; my kids are using the same cups and plates that I used over 30 years ago
     - Fiestaware; the only set of dishware my wife and I have owned. We use it daily and it still looks new.
     - Rainbow flip-flops; bought my first and only pair 5 years ago. They are holding up great and I'll never buy another brand.
     - Honda small engines; for example lawn mowers, pressure washers, motorcycles. They will not last a lifetime, but nothing compares to the reliability in my experience.

ClassyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #248 on: August 19, 2015, 12:19:29 PM »
A few things that are built for life that I have used:
     - Tupperware; my kids are using the same cups and plates that I used over 30 years ago
     - Fiestaware; the only set of dishware my wife and I have owned. We use it daily and it still looks new.
     - Rainbow flip-flops; bought my first and only pair 5 years ago. They are holding up great and I'll never buy another brand.
     - Honda small engines; for example lawn mowers, pressure washers, motorcycles. They will not last a lifetime, but nothing compares to the reliability in my experience.

I can attest to the Fiestaware. My mom has collected it for years and it's the most solid set of dishes I've ever seen.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #249 on: August 19, 2015, 07:46:20 PM »
I've found that actually collecting on a warranty or guarantee is usually a hassle, and I prefer things that won't break in the first place.

You are so right. I spent two frustrating months trying to get a warranty RMA from Logitech for a set of speakers. It was a comedy of errors and broken promises. They finally wore me down to the extent that I tossed the broken speaker set into the trash. I'll never buy another Logitech product.