Author Topic: Buy It For Life!  (Read 300141 times)

El Marinero

• Stubble
Re: Buy It For Life!
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2014, 04:14:47 PM »
One more garden-related item

The Swiss-made Felco hand pruner.  I have the #2, but there is a variety to choose from. High quality, and you can get replacement parts to keep it working forever.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: June 06, 2014, 12:18:12 PM »
Does anybody have any suggestions for a Buy It For Life umbrella? (Do they even exist?)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2014, 12:45:05 PM »
Does anybody have any suggestions for a Buy It For Life umbrella? (Do they even exist?)
No specific brand to recommend, but golf-style umbrellas are large are generally pretty sturdy to resist the gusts of wind. They also double as a cane, but won't fit in your purse.

Large, sturdy, practical, pick two.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2014, 05:54:23 PM »

Don't know if it's BIFL, but here's the best umbrella.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: June 06, 2014, 07:23:13 PM »
I love Corelle dishes! My parents bought a set in the 1980s. When they got tired of them and wanted a new pattern, I inherited them - free dishes! After many years, I finally admitted to myself that I hated the pattern, so I gave them to my younger cousin who was still in college - free dishes for him! He ended up with a roommate who had dishes already (the same pattern!) so he gave them to his brother - free dishes for another family member! They're still being used today.

Of course, I replaced that ugly old set with a new set of Corelle in a pattern I like better. They're really thin, so they don't take up much room in a cabinet, and they're lightweight. And Corelle replaces any chipped or broken items! (If they don't have the exact item, you can choose something similar). I haven't had to do it, but my mother did once.
Corelle for the win. We have a great set of white Corelle plates and bowls--phenomenal, un-breakable, un-stainable.

Also, don't laugh, I think we have MOSTLY-for-life underwear: Ex-Officio's Give-N-Go active underwear for menfolk and ladyfolk. We invested in these undies a few years ago for hiking and have since converted to them entirely. Incredible durability and comfort. Perfect for the boardroom or the mountain top. We've been wearing them for years and not a single rip.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: June 06, 2014, 08:27:31 PM »
Re: umbrellas. Believe it or not, I had already researched and ordered the EuroSchirm Light Trek. I'll plan to post updates about it over the months--it should arrive next week. It had better be worth the $52…I hope the price doesn't merit a face punch, but I am sooooooo tired of buying and then having to discard inexpensive umbrellas that fall apart. I think a golf umbrella might be too big for what I need, but that isn't a bad idea either. Thanks.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2014, 10:25:55 PM »
Perfect for the boardroom or the mountain top.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: June 07, 2014, 08:44:10 AM »
Rebel Spy, you are so bad!

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2014, 09:51:13 AM »

I'm trying to find items that are made in the U.S.A and are also "buy it for life." (No offense to anyone--I know this is an international website.)
http://www.saddlebackleather.com for leather items such as bags and wallets. Lifetime guarantee and I've heard great things, at least about the wallets. Still contemplating buying one myself as my current one (not a Saddleback) is falling apart after 10 years of service.

Customs charges are the reason I haven't bought one yet (I'm not in the US).

I bought and sold their messenger for sale. Very well made, but HEAVY.  Ended up with a waxed canvas bag from jack spade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2014, 04:52:55 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention socks. We get the "All Day Socks" from supermarkets and el cheapo department stores in Australia. They're not buy it for life, but buy it for 10+years is certainly feasible. They are SO comfortable and last forever, and the bonus is it is really easy to tell whose socks are whose (any all-black socks tend to migrate to my husband's sock drawer, regardless of size). I'm on to my second lot of socks. The previous ones lasted for about 10 years with each pair being worn approx once per fortnight for nearly 10 years. They didn't actually fall apart but the material became super uncomfortable and started rubbing on my feet.

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #160 on: June 11, 2014, 10:51:52 AM »

@Lizzzi: the best umbrellas we owned were the ones that Ikea used to sell: blue and yellow. They cost $2, and we've had one for over ten years. I left one at a conference, but the other has seen massive use. It has never inverted despite our characteristic Boston storms...

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: June 11, 2014, 02:50:04 PM »
Ivyhedge, IKEA is advertising their Upptacka umbrellas for $2.99, on sale from 3.99, but they are not available online…you have to go to the bricks and mortar store. The Euroschirm seems sturdy and well-made, with a nice cover. It has a carabiner on it for clipping onto something, but no wrist strap. I was just thinking that I'll have to be careful of my two umbrella Waterloos (no pun intended): No matter how sturdy it is, I won't have it for life if I let the grandkids use it (ages 6,5,3), or if I am careless and leave it somewhere.

supersudo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: July 04, 2014, 12:56:04 AM »
Does anyone have suggestions for a rice cooker?

Rice cooker recommendation: Tiger JNP-1000. It's Japanese (as is my dad's side of the family) and easily available in the US. Near-effortless, perfect Japanese rice every time. Not to mention it's non-stick (more important than you'd realize, esp for sticky rice).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: July 04, 2014, 02:13:00 AM »
Vitamix - still going strong after 10 years of regular use! Love this appliance!

Doc Martens - still wearing shoes I bought with my birthday money when my 18 year old was a newborn

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #164 on: July 06, 2014, 05:07:10 PM »
Sangean waterproof radio. $100, 10 years strong so far. Good way to catch up on traffic and news during my morning shower.

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2014, 03:02:34 PM »
Klean Kanteen water bottles.

I have 3 sizes (the normal, the larger, and the "holy crap do you drink that much water at once?" size).  Hey, I've been a nursing momma for 3 years and don't trust the water at my work.

I am a water bottle afficionado.  I've tried dozens of different bottles.  Glass, plastic, plastic with straws, Nalgene, Sigg, etc.  The Klean Kanteens are my staple.  I've even dropped them while full-which is usually the drop of death for any water bottle.  If they bulge out after getting dropped a few gentle taps with a hammer will dent them back in enough to stabilize the kanteen for proper sitting.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2014, 01:32:32 PM »
Klean Kanteen water bottles.

I have 3 sizes (the normal, the larger, and the "holy crap do you drink that much water at once?" size).  Hey, I've been a nursing momma for 3 years and don't trust the water at my work.

I am a water bottle afficionado.  I've tried dozens of different bottles.  Glass, plastic, plastic with straws, Nalgene, Sigg, etc.  The Klean Kanteens are my staple.  I've even dropped them while full-which is usually the drop of death for any water bottle.  If they bulge out after getting dropped a few gentle taps with a hammer will dent them back in enough to stabilize the kanteen for proper sitting.
+1! I tragically lost my Klean Kanteen a few years ago and haven't replaced it, but it was a great waterbottle.

Yonco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2014, 06:00:47 AM »
P38 can Opener. My Neighbor was given 2 when he was drafted into the korean war. Carried one in his boot and one in his pack. Over 10 years ago he me the one that was in his pack, still clean and shiny. It had gone through a war oversees and passed along, and still opening cans.   I keep it in my toolbox at work and use it often during winter for opening cans of soup. I have since bought 2 more(for a mere $2) To keep one in the camping supplies, and one in kitchen.  I try to find items like this for every stage of life. It takes up NO room( keeps kitchen less cluttered), its manual and works all the time. -Jon

thecornercat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2014, 06:40:56 PM »
  I've got an itch for a Vita-Mix, but those suckers are $500.  Just can't justify that expense.

Vitamix is worth it and easy can usually be found used for around $300.

Totally agree. I love my Vitamix. I did pay $500 (Canadian dollars) but I got the dry jar for free (so to me it was a great value). What the Vitamix costs is what you save in all the things you can make at home. E.g., I just made some deliciously smooth hummus. I don't need to use tahini paste because the Vitamix can ground up the sesame seeds easily. (A good food processor can do this too, but as I don't have one...)

Also, the resale value of a Vitamix is pretty high. Even though I paid $500, in the current market I could probably resell it for $300-400 (without the dry jar). But I plan on owning mine for life :). If anyone really wants a Vitamix but doesn't want to shell out the money, you can get one used from Vitamix directly.

DrJohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2014, 03:58:34 AM »
Shoes, sandals and hiking boots from Keen.  Yes, they do wear out, but it seems to take a very long time indeed...

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: August 21, 2014, 10:38:11 AM »
Bass Pro Shop sells their own brand off heavy socks with a life time guarantee.  I have several pairs that I have had for many years and they don't wear out.  Plus I kept the receipts and packaging just in case!

DrJohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2014, 09:07:26 AM »
Most garden hose reels are fragile, leaking plastic bits of soon-to-be garbage.

Eley (Rapid Reel) makes a solid one that is mostly aluminum and brass.  I have two - the ten year old one still works like new, leak-free despite having to cope with my neighborhoods unusually high water pressure (105 psi).

They are pricey, but you only need to buy once.

Craftsman rubber garden hoses from Sears (so long as the quality is still good).  I bought three from Sears 12 years ago and they sat out in hot TX sun all that time and for 2 years in the Middle East and although maybe somewhat heavy to move around for some they are still in great shape.

Frugal_Red

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #172 on: September 08, 2014, 06:54:46 AM »
Cast-iron cookware. Some of my pans are older than me (found at flea markets, thrift stores, etc.), and all of them will outlast me with proper care. For stuff I find used, I scrub the hell out of the exterior with Bar Keeper's Friend and the interior with Bon Ami and then re-season in the oven with oil.

Ditto!  My sister still uses our Grandmother's cast-iron pan which must be well over 60+ years old!  Indestructible! :-P

Lian

• Stubble
« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2014, 07:06:06 AM »
Love this thread. I always think about the Estimated Time to Landfill when I make a non-consumable purchase.

Cigar2011

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Pay attention to the details
« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2014, 05:26:15 PM »
Cast iron great deals at yard sales. Al-clad http://stores.cookwarenmore.com/all-clad-d5-stainless/ discounts on irregulars. I purchased a 3qt sauce pan that I can't see the irregularity. My sauté pan with lid has a hammer dent on the inside. They cook amazingly.

My OXO SteeL Can Opener $19 on amazon is also amazing. I thought I was going crazy spending so much but it's one of my top ten purchases of all time.

Ralph Lauren polo button down collared shirts.  I brought two 15-20 yrs ago. Still as good as new. I only wear them in the winter for about 3 months a year.

Leatherman supertool II. I have used it daily for the last 10 years and it's just like new.

My Henkel 8" chef knife though if I had to do it again I would get a 10" I broke the blade once. I sent it back and they sent my a new one.

My weber genesis gold propane grill is still going strong for 10 yrs and the weber kettle I had prior to that is still around that's 15yrs old. My weber Q is only about 6 yrs old but I have high hopes.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2014, 11:55:01 AM »
Does anybody have enough experience with these to know if they are bifl?

Based on my experience with my parents' Kirby I say yes, built for life.  I am a bit of a cleaning freak and put lots of miles on theirs.

+1.  MIL vacuums daily and swears by her Kirby.  My grandmother's upright from the 50's is still going strong at my parent's house.  Getting it for free is the super, ultra bonus. 

yorkville

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2014, 07:47:24 AM »
Is it necessary to buy it for life? Lets say you get a nice set of socket wretch to work on your car or house. But then you move to another city where you don't drive and live in a rental apartment. Now, you have no use for the toolset, but still taking up storage. I rather get something cheap, and if my circumstance changes, I can get rid of it easily.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2014, 02:54:20 PM »
Muck boots.  I have worn through many rubber boots during the winter.  These just don't wear out and are insanely comfortable.  If only they were fashionable enough for work :(

BreakingtheCycle

« Reply #178 on: November 05, 2014, 07:18:18 PM »
We buy duralex glassware too and it's amazing! I love that it is lead free and cadmium free too, which is hard to find!

BreakingtheCycle

« Reply #179 on: November 05, 2014, 07:25:44 PM »
Something I would recommend would be the PlanetBox lunch boxes, they are very high quality and you can just replace the magnets now and then for added fun to the kids (the bags aren't bifl though, my kids' lunch bags are so dirty that the lunch boxes go in!).

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #180 on: December 01, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
Keep it coming. I've purchased a couple of things off this list, most notably the duralex glasses. They are surviving my baby through her grab and drop phase.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #181 on: December 01, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »
Dr. Martens Steel Toe Boots - My pair gets worn 6 months out of the year almost daily for the past 14 years
Birkenstock Arizona Sandals - My First pair last 7 years, I have 2 years on a second and purchased a 3rd (as a back up $44 clearance at DSW)
Lodge Cast Iron Cook wear - Indestructible
Leatherman Multi Tool - I have the Surge and its come in handy countless times and even saved my ass a few times in an emergency
MagLight Flashlights - Pretty damn hard to destroy

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: December 01, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »
I second Maglights as a BIFL item. Our big one is still going strong after 15 years. My boys recently bought me a little pink one for my bedside table.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2014, 07:16:01 PM »
My criteria for elective purchases: if it can survive 3 months in the amazon cart and I still want it, I'm getting it. I just put a mag light in the cart.

prudence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #184 on: December 03, 2014, 07:23:41 AM »
Cast-iron cookware. Some of my pans are older than me (found at flea markets, thrift stores, etc.), and all of them will outlast me with proper care. For stuff I find used, I scrub the hell out of the exterior with Bar Keeper's Friend and the interior with Bon Ami and then re-season in the oven with oil.
The older stuff is great, but some of the newer cast iron cookware is not so good. The surface is rough and doesn't season as well as the older stuff. 

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2014, 09:37:50 AM »
I'm glad this older thread got resurrected so it would come to my attention.

I'm surprised it took to page three to mention Corelle. That stuff is indestructible and never chips. We are using plates and bowls that my sister bought when she went to college in the early 90s. Looks great! I also love how lightweight and small they are. I can pull four out at a time from my dishwasher with one hand. Plus they take up so little space in my cupboard.

I was dubious about All-Clad pans, largely because of the cost. But my husband wanted them for our wedding. Almost nine years later they are still going strong! We probably will be able to give them to our children some day. Our Henckels knives are also doing well, although I don't think they will outlive me like the All Clad.

We have a used Kenmore washer that seems indestructible. We bought it used 10 years ago, and it gets a lot of use in our household with three young boys.

They are not for life, but I've had good luck with Teva Olowahu flip flops. They last multiple years under hard use. 

My husband's classic vacuum insulated coffee Thermos appears to be indestructible and 10 years on still keeps his coffee in the morning piping hot. He also drops it all the time, so it is dented but still works just fine.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2014, 09:57:22 AM »
The older stuff is great, but some of the newer cast iron cookware is not so good. The surface is rough and doesn't season as well as the older stuff.
+1 on the older cast iron.  I've tried grinding the newer stuff, but it still doesn't measure up.

The Starbucks insulated coffee mug seems to be good.  I bought two last year at a garage sale for $1 each.  Coffee stays very hot for several hours.

Also like the classic Thermos.  Still excellent and dented, too.  They were made to be used at work sites, so they are rugged.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2014, 11:53:17 AM »
The Starbucks insulated coffee mug seems to be good.  I bought two last year at a garage sale for $1 each.  Coffee stays very hot for several hours.

Also like the classic Thermos.  Still excellent and dented, too.  They were made to be used at work sites, so they are rugged.

We got the Starbucks stainless coffee cup for a gift (that sucker is expensive new!), and it's almost too good. My husband complains that the coffee stays so piping hot on his drive to work that he can't even drink it. Once he left about half of it and brought it home 12 hours later. When I went to wash it, it was STILL hot. Do you wash yours in the dishwasher? I do, but maybe I should stop if it might undermine its insulating ability. We just rinse out the Thermos.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2014, 03:01:43 PM »
I really really like my Estwing hammer.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2014, 05:50:07 PM »
+1 on the older cast iron.  I've tried grinding the newer stuff, but it still doesn't measure up.

I worried about this when I got a new 12" Lodge skillet last year, and the surface was remarkably rough and pitted. Next to my grandmother's 10" it looked and behaved like an entirely different kind of  cookware. But, the size is great, enough so that the new skillet has become my primary, and I noticed just a couple of weeks ago that now, after a year of daily use with a metal spatula, it's as smooth and well-seasoned as the oldie, which is at least 50 years. So use seems to do what grinders will not. It's a shame I had to put up with it being of lesser quality for six months or so, but considering I'll use it for 50 years, assuming I last that long, it's not so bad.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 05:51:56 PM by Rural »

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2014, 08:02:36 PM »

We got the Starbucks stainless coffee cup for a gift (that sucker is expensive new!), and it's almost too good. My husband complains that the coffee stays so piping hot on his drive to work that he can't even drink it. Once he left about half of it and brought it home 12 hours later. When I went to wash it, it was STILL hot. Do you wash yours in the dishwasher? I do, but maybe I should stop if it might undermine its insulating ability. We just rinse out the Thermos.
That's the one.  I add three small ice cubes so I can drink it within the hour.  Yes, wash it in the dishwasher when we have dishes to wash, but normally just rinse it out for the next day.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2014, 08:22:51 PM »
The single AAA mini Maglite is awful. I still have my very old 3x D-cell Maglite, which works pretty well. May swap the bulb out for an LED array, though.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2014, 07:29:31 AM »
I thought of another one. I have a couple of hones that I use for sharpening up my knives / axes / tools / razor at home. I'm not sure if that explicitly counts for this discussion but it's keeping a LOT of my stuff in working order for much longer than it would otherwise.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2014, 08:02:13 AM »
Steal it for life: I recently inventoried my home office supplies and discovered I had about 15 gel pens from my old job. I always kept two in each suit coat or sport coat, two in the car, and 2-4 in my briefcase at all times. Probably a several year supply. I also found a few mechanical pencils and a bunch of lead refills. No telling how long it will take me to use those. At least they won't dry up!

Although not quite "buy it for life," increasingly, I think desktop and, to a lesser extent, laptop computers are becoming "buy it for a very long time" items. Most of our desktop machines at work are about 10 years old and all run Windows XP. They were midrange models when they were new, and I think someone upgraded the memory. They're not incredibly fast, but aren't excruciatingly slow, either. Office 2003 still works fine. Internet Explorer 8 is outdated/insecure and we use Firefox instead, which is still updated on XP, as is Chrome. These are all midsize towers--one advantage of the tower form factor is that they usually use a standard power supply and other parts instead of the proprietary ones in the small form factor machines, hence, they are easier to repair.

With laptops, you have the whole battery issue to contend with, but those are much improved in the past few years. The one in my 3.5 year old notebook will still hold 87% of its rated capacity after over 500 charge cycles. I think it's reasonable to expect at least a couple more years out of it.

Tablets and cell phones, on the other hand, tend to be anti-"buy it for life" purchases. I resisted upgrading my iPad mini from iOS 6 to iOS8, but newer versions of Chrome and some other apps required a newer operating system. Apple seems to offer iOS upgrades for about three years from the release date of a device, and it's a given that a device will get slower as the OS becomes more complex. Eventually, new apps will not be released for the older operating systems, websites will cease to function properly on older browsers, and the device will become obsolete. The situation is likely worse for the Kindle, as you are generally stuck with whatever version of Fire OS the device shipped with. Google used to follow the Amazon model with Android but is getting better. I think the lifecycle is much shorter for mobile devices than it is for traditional desktops/laptops.

godin1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #194 on: December 13, 2014, 08:50:05 AM »
I know this is an old thread but for those interested I created a website a while back to feature what this thread discusses, BIFL products. I focused on featuring products with lifetime warranties and I list a bunch of product information for each product that I feature. If anyone wants to check it out the site is http://LastMeALifetime.com/

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2014, 09:08:34 AM »
I have a couple things that have lasted a really long time so far.  I have a Nike all-synthetic gear bag for my martial arts equipment which has lasted for 15 years so far.  Even the zip is plastic and yet it's held up incredibly well and I use it all the time.  I think I bought it at Walmart too, which is incredible when you think about it.

When it comes to sneakers (or tennis shoes or trainers, depending on where you live), I bought two pairs of Puma Liga all-natural leather indoor soccer shoes and they have held up for over two years now.  Those sneakers are very, very well made.

When it comes to electronics, Apple products have held up the best for me.  I've gone through 3 PC laptops over the past eight years, but I'm still using the same 30 gb iPod and it's going strong.  I haven't always treated that iPod well either -- doing things like leaving it in a freezing or boiling hot car and sometimes sitting on it -- and it still works perfectly.

DSKla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #196 on: December 23, 2014, 02:48:47 PM »
My offering: GoRuck GR2 backpack. Very pricey, but guaranteed for life and seemingly indestructible. The quality of the build is incredible, and I find that the 40L size very effectively replaces my 70L pack without all the bulk and dangly bits. You can find them on sale for around $300 if you're patient. The only thing they don't guarantee for life is the zippers ($75 to fix) but they're YKK zippers, which should last a decade or two.

Request: technical pants that look good for everyday use and hold up to backpacking/biking. My brother swears his pranas are great, and he builds fences for a living and backpacks for fun. But i've seen some people say theirs fell apart. It seems they are inconsistent batch to batch. Anyone have an experience? I'm also looking at bluff works pants. Other suggestions welcome. I'd like to buy 1 or 2 pair of something and have it last 10 years.

EricL

« Reply #197 on: December 24, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »
I've yet to own it long enough to tell, but for a BIFL umbrella the Unbreakable Unbrella is a contender.  It's made not so much for staying dry as a for self defense but it does the first well enough.  Just don't expect the large version to work well if you whup somebody's ass with it. 

http://real-self-defense.com/unbreakable-umbrella/

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #198 on: December 29, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »
I've yet to own it long enough to tell, but for a BIFL umbrella the Unbreakable Unbrella is a contender.  It's made not so much for staying dry as a for self defense but it does the first well enough.  Just don't expect the large version to work well if you whup somebody's ass with it. 

This looks insane; are you in Beirut or Gotham City?  $140 is nuts for a bartitsu trinket.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #199 on: December 29, 2014, 09:15:17 PM »

This looks insane; are you in Beirut or Gotham City?  $140 is nuts for a bartitsu trinket.

Careful now, Oswald Cobblepot there might not care for your tone.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:17:11 PM by I.P. Daley »