Author Topic: Buy It For Life!  (Read 300135 times)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
Re: Buy It For Life!
« Reply #400 on: November 28, 2018, 10:37:15 AM »
Agreed on the All Clad - that stuff is tough and also does it's job exceptionally well.

I agree that AllClad makes great stuff, but it's overpriced.

Part of what makes them great is that they are tri-ply sandwiched construction, instead of aluminum.  That gives them excellent heat distribution, and then the lids fit nice and tight and the handles are attached properly.  They're quality pots and pans.

America's test kitchen, however, has reviewed a handful of other brands that share all of those features and cost half as much.  They measure the temperatures in various parts of the pans.  They wack them on countertops until they break.  They say that when you buy All Clad what you're mostly paying for is name recognition.  If you just want quality cooking utensils at reasonable prices, other people are making pots and pans that are just as good, and selling them at Walmart of all places.

Some folks still want the brand name stuff, and that's fine too if you have money to burn and want to support a particular company.  Just don't pretend you're getting your money's worth in terms of the actual product.

Agreed!  That is totally true nowadays.  But 23 years ago, back when I started buying pots/pans (well, really asking for them as birthday/Christmas presents, mostly), that was NOT true.  Back then, All Clad really was better than the competition.  I think recently other companies have upped their game and that's great.  If I was starting today I'd totally go with a cheaper alternative.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #401 on: November 29, 2018, 12:34:02 AM »
I got a set of these WMF Profi cooking utensils as a wedding gift, and 12 years later they are still in perfect condition and just about my favorite things to use in my kitchen.

Our original set was 10 pieces, I gave away all the "grater" type pieces in favor of Microplanes or just cheaper sharper plastic ones, but the ladle, the flipper, the bottle opener, the whisks are all beloved and oft-used.

Now that we are a little more established I am slowly adding pieces to our collection. I am a regular thrifter but have never seen them used here in the States, probably because they are manufactured in Germany and aren't retailed through outlets like Macy's or what have you.

https://www.wmf.com/en/collection-profi-plus.html

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #402 on: December 04, 2018, 06:32:15 PM »
- Specialized bike helmet that is ~25 years old and still fine

It is my understanding that bike helmets have a working life of ~5 years; sweat, sun and getting banged around take there toll.  You may want to look into a replacement - new ones would be a lot lighter too.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #403 on: December 04, 2018, 08:09:20 PM »

It is my understanding that bike helmets have a working life of ~5 years; sweat, sun and getting banged around take there toll.  You may want to look into a replacement - new ones would be a lot lighter too.

yeah, its about 3 years when the foam starts to degrade, and is no longer protective if there is a collision with the ground. We only get 1 brain! Definitely worth buying a new helmet every 3 years (or any time you hit your head on the ground while wearing it). So many companies are making good, affordable helmets these days. $50-$60 every couple of years is nothing to pay to keep your head safe.

kenaces

• Bristles
« Reply #404 on: December 06, 2018, 10:11:14 AM »

Thanks

I just purchased a new helmet last week shortly after making my post, as guy at bike shop told me same thing you guys are saying :)

So I now have even fewer BIFL items.

yeah, its about 3 years when the foam starts to degrade, and is no longer protective if there is a collision with the ground. We only get 1 brain! Definitely worth buying a new helmet every 3 years (or any time you hit your head on the ground while wearing it). So many companies are making good, affordable helmets these days. $50-$60 every couple of years is nothing to pay to keep your head safe.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #405 on: December 08, 2018, 03:49:42 AM »
Some might find this to be over the top, but I got a Big Green Egg 9 years ago for my birthday from my entire family. Best thing ever. Lifetime warranty/guaranty. The customer service has been exceptional. I live in WI. and cook on it 4x per week all year long and it stays exposed to the elements and I've not had any issues.

I live in WI as well and my friend bought one of the imitation brands. His is orange. Not sure of brand name but he uses it religiously and has had for a few years now and has had no issues as well but saved quite a bit. My guess in helping him assemble it years ago its one of those things if its not built right is not going to work right.

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #406 on: April 15, 2019, 07:19:41 AM »
This is my kind of thread! PTF

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #407 on: May 20, 2019, 08:33:05 AM »
me too! I just joined reddit and found that board.. or whatever you call it. Very cool and super organized.
I also enjoy the sub forum thingy that talks about brands that used to be good, but are no longer- due to cheap labor or corner cutting.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #408 on: August 19, 2019, 11:51:55 AM »
Not sure if any of these will make it to the BIFL level, but notable in today's "fast fashion" world:

I have several dresses from the Ann Taylor outlet that are 20 years old, and still look brand new.  I remember purchasing them once I got engaged, thinking they would be good for my honeymoon.  Never expected them to still be around, and they are rather forgiving cuts, so they still look good and fit, even though I've added some pounds over the past two decades.

Also from the outlet, I purchased a leather wallet from Etienne Aigner, roughly 15 years ago.  I recently threw it away, but only b/c the leather had begun to flake off, and the second of the two snaps had become loose.  Functionality overall was not an issue, and I highly doubt it's replacement will last nearly as long!  I do keep an eye out on eBay for those wallets and purses, hoping to find a quality one that would stand the test of time.

My Kirkland non-stick cookware has also lasted the test of time, 19 years or so and still going strong.  To be fair, I'm meticulous in keeping metal utensils away from them, and cleaning them only by hand, with a non-stick scrubber, if needed.  Pretty sure that this was private labeled through Calphalon.

Corelle dishes - our daily go to, and they are awesome.  A few years ago I found a similar version at Ikea, and I picked up a 6 pack of dinner plates, plain white.  About 10 years and not a scratch or chip on them!

I did own a Kirby for about a decade - those things are tanks, and they vacuum really well too!  I purchased a refurbished 15 year old unit for $175, and sold it once I built my current house, with zero carpet.  Sold through Craig's list to a very wise couple, and they happily paid $150 for it.

Too soon to tell, but I recently found this website, https://lastbrand.com/  I would love to own a quality tote than can handle my day to day requirements and not have the handles show signs of wear after 6 months, but wasn't quite ready to spend nearly $300 on Saddleback leather bag, so I'm hoping the $75 tote I have coming from Last Brand will last a few years at least!  Saddleback is on my list of places to go - their company store is about 3 hours away, so I may stop in the next time I'm in the area.

moonpalace

• Bristles
« Reply #409 on: August 19, 2019, 12:19:28 PM »
I bought a pair of Chaco sandals (Z/1 model, I think) just after my son was born. He's now 14. This year the soles started coming off the sandals.

I saw that Chaco had a resole service for $40 or so, and sent them in for that, but then they told me that the repair was covered by the warranty! Unbelievable.

They were close to BIFL already, but now I'm figuring I may get pretty close to my whole adult life out of these things! Highly recommended.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #410 on: August 21, 2019, 04:37:46 PM »
Dang, 14 year on a pair of Chacos is impressive, @moonpalace . I tend to wear the soles of my Chacos smooth in about 3-4 years, but I wear them pretty much steadily every day for work and hiking 3 months out of the year.

Next time, though, I think I'll be buying a less chunky sandal, something from xero.

abbuyt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #411 on: November 09, 2019, 05:17:36 AM »
Love this thread, AFAIK all Red Wings boots are made in USA. I have a pair that were worn 3+ times per week for 5 years, one resole ($125), and certainly have at least 10 more years of life now. If you want resole-able, get a welted model (most of their famous models).

And I recommend this list too: http://www.bifl.org/buy-it-for-life-101-products-you-can-buy-once-and-keep-forever/

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: November 09, 2019, 05:38:29 AM »
Love this thread, AFAIK all Red Wings boots are made in USA. I have a pair that were worn 3+ times per week for 5 years, one resole ($125), and certainly have at least 10 more years of life now. If you want resole-able, get a welted model (most of their famous models).

And I recommend this list too: http://www.bifl.org/buy-it-for-life-101-products-you-can-buy-once-and-keep-forever/
I think currently, it's the Heritage line that's made in USA, other models may not be. Of course it's still possible to produce quality boots in other places, though I do prefer buying products made in countries with first-world labor standards.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #413 on: November 09, 2019, 07:13:55 AM »

I bought a pair of $300 redwings a few years ago.

This was after wearing a pair of them for ~10 years and nearly ever day in the winter. The only reason they were needing replacement was because I consistently kicked snow/ice with them in the winter (first pair was steel toed) and the leather on the toe was really beat up. Which is basically my fault.

But I figured, if a single pair of boots I wore probably a third or more of 10 years lasted that well I could buy another pair that I'd wear similarly as much...

SpaceCow

• Stubble
« Reply #414 on: November 09, 2019, 08:51:51 PM »
I wouldn't say "Buy it for life", but Vivobarefoot shoes (http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/) are minimalistic shoes that are made with a "puncture-proof" sole, which still looks BRAND NEW after 3 years of use. There is literally no wear on the bottom of these shoes. 

I own a pair of "dressier" ones for the office, and 2 pair of "casual" shoes... they're all holding up great after 2+ years of use, when previously I would have a pair of newbalance shoes for less than a year before the sole was a wreck.

Vivobarefoot is fairly expensive at first glance, but they very often have 30-50% off coupon codes go out in their email newsletter.

Do you wear socks with these shoes? If not, is there any reason why you can't? The pictures I see are people wearing them without socks, which puts me off.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #415 on: November 10, 2019, 05:52:23 AM »
I wouldn't say "Buy it for life", but Vivobarefoot shoes (http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/) are minimalistic shoes that are made with a "puncture-proof" sole, which still looks BRAND NEW after 3 years of use. There is literally no wear on the bottom of these shoes. 

I own a pair of "dressier" ones for the office, and 2 pair of "casual" shoes... they're all holding up great after 2+ years of use, when previously I would have a pair of newbalance shoes for less than a year before the sole was a wreck.

Vivobarefoot is fairly expensive at first glance, but they very often have 30-50% off coupon codes go out in their email newsletter.

Do you wear socks with these shoes? If not, is there any reason why you can't? The pictures I see are people wearing them without socks, which puts me off.

Their FAQ recommends socks:

"Should I wear socks or insoles with my vivo?

It’s all a matter of personal preference. On a cold day, for instance, you might appreciate a pair of our Thermal Insoles. We recommend lightweight, non-restrictive socks, but they aren’t required if you’re sock averse. We believe that the ideal barefoot experience is insole free, but no one’s watching, so the decision is yours!"

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #416 on: November 25, 2019, 10:32:50 AM »
I have my Vivo Gobi high tops on with Injinji socks right now. Cosy :)

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #417 on: December 05, 2019, 07:35:15 PM »
This is a small one, but the best spatula I have used are these Calder ones. They are thin (great for scraping and getting under anything) and quite springy. I've bought Chinese ones that look identical but the steel is junk. The American made ones are amazing, and at $7 are unmatched by tools that are 3x their price! No plastic to melt or assemblies to come apart over time. They look like something you'd find at a catering company, but I maintain that I have yet to see their equal (my wife doesn't know what all the fuss is about, so YMMV).

https://www.richcraftstainless.com/spatulas

atredbeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #418 on: December 31, 2019, 03:45:51 PM »
A good Merkur safety razor with 10 pack of blades will last a long long time if you take it apart after shaving and dry the blade in between. I've had a single blade last close to a year. I've been using the same shaving bar of soap for about 3 years with no end in sight. While it is a little more pricey upfront it more then pays for itself on the backend and is much easier on the environment.

ROF Expat

• Bristles
Rechargeable batteries!
« Reply #419 on: January 21, 2020, 12:22:19 AM »
I don't know if they'll be for "life" but I have to say I've been very impressed by my battery chargers and rechargeable batteries.  About 12 years ago, I bought a smart charger and rechargeable batteries.  Initially aa and aaa, but since then some C and D batteries.  I've added more batteries over time as I get more battery powered devices, but I'm still using all but a few of the original batteries from 12 years ago, and the technology has improved since then.  Newer batteries are rated for 1,000 or 1,500 recharges, and even if they don't reach that level, lifespan will likely be decades. 

The batteries and chargers paid for themselves long ago, so every time I recharge a battery it effectively saves me the cost of the disposable.  More importantly, old batteries don't end up in the landfill or going to recycling. 

Better for my wallet (the payback period for the initial investment is quick) and better for the environment. 

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #420 on: August 16, 2020, 07:45:34 PM »
Bumping an old thread but I just finished reading through it all. My wife was hoping I could find some women's clothing brands but I guess there's not much out there for jeans, t-shirts, etc. We're actively trying to buy more American made products, or at least things not made in China. As others have pointed out, you can't really avoid that when it comes to things like cell phones and it's hard for a lot of very cheap consumer goods - but not impossible.

I copied a lot of posts into a word document to go through and organize later. Definitely a lot of good recommendations for certain household and clothing/baggage items.

I don't have much to contribute other than the importance of good quality tools. That was something my dad passed on to me. You can buy a good tool once or break some cheap ones a few times before finally buying the good one.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #421 on: August 20, 2020, 05:03:49 PM »
I feel like for clothes, nothing beats going to the thrift store. You can see what wears well and what doesn’t! My two favorite brands are Columbia and Edie Bauer and I would never have tried either of them if I’d bought them new.

But it’s worth combing through and checking out what’s made well and what isn’t. There’s great sturdy stuff from WalMart and real junk from high end brands - it’s just not all that consistent.

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #422 on: November 05, 2020, 09:53:41 PM »
Can anyone recommend a BIFL garden hose? We have some old reddish rubbery ones that held up a lot longer than some of their green hardware store counterparts, but I rescued at least one from a neighbor's curb and I have no idea what they were. I'm willing to pay more up front and/or go through a commercial or industrial supplier.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #423 on: November 06, 2020, 04:00:52 PM »
The black rubber Craftsman hoses I have are really durable - more than 15 years old. They also don't kink like most modern hoses.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #424 on: December 20, 2020, 03:00:37 PM »
Can anyone recommend a BIFL garden hose? We have some old reddish rubbery ones that held up a lot longer than some of their green hardware store counterparts, but I rescued at least one from a neighbor's curb and I have no idea what they were. I'm willing to pay more up front and/or go through a commercial or industrial supplier.

Take a look at a feed store. They have really heavy duty commercial/ranch hoses. They use one of those red ones to fill water troughs every day where my horse lives, and they last a long time with heavy use. They are very particular about draining and coiling the hoses every day though, so they aren't getting stepped on or damaged by ice forming inside.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #425 on: December 20, 2020, 03:38:16 PM »
Just bought another Dell Latitude laptop to keep our others company. Our oldest is ten years old and still super sturdy although the battery only works intermittently now. We added a refurbished Latitude E7270 last February and today we got its younger brother Latitude 7280. I will never buy a consumer laptop again, and I've been burned by Apple, Lenovo, HP, and Asus now, so I'm not really interested in messing around with anything other than the Dell business line...

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #426 on: January 04, 2021, 12:44:13 AM »

Take a look at a feed store. They have really heavy duty commercial/ranch hoses. They use one of those red ones to fill water troughs every day where my horse lives, and they last a long time with heavy use. They are very particular about draining and coiling the hoses every day though, so they aren't getting stepped on or damaged by ice forming inside.

Thank you! I must say, that would never have occurred to me in my suburban, pet-free existence. I have rural extended family with livestock, who must know a feed store they like, so I'll have a look when I visit. The last time I heard about it, they bought drinking water rated hoses (sold for RVs) to leach less into the animals' drinking water. Cleanup hoses might still be whatever else, but I usually admire the animals, not the plumbing.

The usual garden hose failure in my part of California isn't freezing but baking in kinks and eventually cracking in the sun. Professional grade hoses are better about not doing those things, too.

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #427 on: February 07, 2021, 08:56:37 AM »
I couldn't recall if these were mentioned, but L.L.Bean's waterhog mats are great. They work exceptionally well at keeping muck, dirt, and water out of the house, are easy to hose off and clean,  and look as good as the first day I them years ago. Also, they are USA made, out of recycled material.

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #428 on: February 09, 2021, 02:57:00 PM »
In 2017 I got a Grip6 belt for my husband.

He usually wears through a belt every year (he's hard on his clothes due to manual labor. He can destroy Duluth Firehose pants in a season).

4 years later the Grip6 belt looks brand new. I think this thing will last forever.

Alchemisst

• Bristles
« Reply #429 on: February 11, 2021, 05:12:36 PM »
Not sure if its been mentioned but I have a couple of lenovo x220 laptops with ssd's that are 8+ years old and still run great, they can be bought on ebay etc really cheap