Author Topic: Buy It For Life!  (Read 300125 times)

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
Re: Buy It For Life!
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2013, 02:59:21 PM »
Solid wood furniture. Lasts even longer than one lifetime. Good thing is, even if it get's a couple of scratches, it still looks great.

Yes. I've found that a lot of antiques are less expensive, better looking, and better built than similar new furniture.

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2013, 04:13:20 PM »
Anyone have a suggestion for a sturdy glass measuring cup (with a handle) that can go through the dishwasher and microwave repeatedly without the markings washing off? We have 2 - one from Pyrex and one Anchor Hocking, and the markings washed off both! Anchor Hocking apparently used to make an embossed markings measuring cup with a handle but when I checked Amazon it was discontinued and had poor reviews. I think their manufacturing has gone downhill.

My mom has one from Pampered Chef that has the markings molded into the glass. She's had it as long as I remember so it seems to be holding up well.

I second someone above who loves OXO kitchen products.  They have some ingenious designs and generally hold up well.  I do want to caution against their measuring cups.  Like you, I was looking for a BIFL pour-type 1 cup measuring cup.  My 20 year old pyrex one finally got a chip in the rim.  I looked at the current pyrex cup and it had a weird open ended handle unlike the closed ended one of my previous one.  I then saw an OXO 1 cup measuring cup.  It looked great, but it was plastic.  I went back and forth over which to choose, generally eschewing plastic but disliking the way the pyrex model felt in my hand.  I came down on the OXO side and regret it.  The OXO cup sprang a leak within 8 months of buying it.  Unfortunately, I got it as a Christmas present from my Mom who bought it at a kitchen strore that won't accept returns, even on defective items.

Moral of the story for me, avoid plastic when possible.  For now, I'm just using my giant other measuring cups or my metal baking ones.  Minimalists wiould argue for me to use the cups I have, but I cook and bake so much I use them all and often have to wash and dry a cup in the midst of my cooking.

Sparbuch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »
I can affirm on the cast iron cookware.

All-Clad for cookware (pots and pans) as well.

We have both a Vitamix and Blendtech (long story) and both are great.  Vitamix has a bigger jar so we can make green smoothies for the whole family, but Blendtech doesn't need to be "babysat" with the plunger when blending.  My guess is they'll both last a lifetime.  Someone mentioned finding a Vitamix used for $300.  I recall getting it brand new at Costco in the low $300s five years ago.

Filson for work coats.  They look better with every use and just don't ever wear out.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2013, 11:37:21 AM »
I swear by chacos, which are attractive sandals made for outdoor life.  They are re-soleable and re-strappable.  I usually go through two pairs of sandals (reebok or easyspirit) per season.  Now, my chacos are well into 2 years of use and still going strong.  I use them for everything, daily walking around, hiking, kayaking, even as a water shoe in my water areobics class.  It takes forever to even break these in, but they sort of begin to mold to your foot and become exceptionally comfortable with wear.  Love my chacos!
Same here - first pair just hit 4yrs. Soles are falling off, they are about toast, but like you I used to go through 2-3pr a year.

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2013, 02:33:04 PM »
Late response, but yes.  When they do break, they can be serviced far beyond a cheap plastic vacuum.  My parents paid a lot for theirs ($1000-2000 IIRC)... in ~1987 or so.  I'm not sure exactly when because I was very little at the time.  They still use it today, and it still works great.  I don't expect my Hoover to last >25 years, that's for sure. 

No? I have a Hoover Concept II upright still going strong that must be at least 25 years old; my grandmother bought it new and she died in 1990 after an extended illness. It's the only vacuum (except a shop vac) that we own. All I've ever done is replace the belt and the bag.

As with so many things, it's possible - even likely - that their newer products are nowhere near as well made. The old ones are unstoppable, though.

sulfide

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2013, 03:13:58 PM »
Danner Boots- I have had mine 18 years and worked 5 fire seasons
Patagonia coats - 12 years.  Great warranty  Got one replaced when the lining started to flake from sun damage.
Jansport backpacks. - My wife had hers for 20 years and then the zipper broke.  We sent it in and they sent it back with a new zipper.
Chaco sandals - Expensive but I have had mine for 13 years.
De Buyer pans - Carbon steel.  One step away from cast iron. 
Dr Marten shoes - I had a pair for 10 years before the sole cracked.  Just bought a for life pair http://www.drmartensforlife.com/
Stihl chainsaws and lawn equipment
Saeco espresso machine - find one used.  We have had ours 10 years and I just replaced the pump for 30 dollars.

Things that are not BIFL:  Any Apple product.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »
De Buyer pans - Carbon steel.  One step away from cast iron. 

I just looked these up and holy shit are they expensive. I bought my carbon steel pan from a restaurant supply place for like $8. No difference in quality as far as I can tell, it hasn't warped and it holds seasoning just fine.

Carbon steel FTW in general though. It's cast iron - cost + light enough to toss around - heat retention. Not really better or worse, just different, but I like the steel a lot better for everyday cooking.

michaelrecycles

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2013, 11:21:38 PM »
Filson for work coats.  They look better with every use and just don't ever wear out.

Wow, Filson jackets are expensive. But they look fantastic, and I can see why they would last. I would happily receive any one of the jackets on that page.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2013, 05:57:13 AM »
Other BIFL item: Victorinox swiss army knives. Other brands might work just fine, I just realized mine was a gift from over 15 years ago. Still pristine, with zero maintenance aside from cleaning it after use.

I was given a Victorinox Swiss Army knife as a teenager... never really used it. Now when I got myself a Leatherman Fuse nearly a decade ago, that was a different story. Well designed multi-tools are lovely little things, and I never leave home without it, a Gerber box cutter and a Mini Maglite strapped to my belt. Definitely BIFL tool investments for field techs.
The standard "swiss army knife" isn't really optimized for use, IMHO; it's kind of the multitool for people who never use multitools. But I love my one-handed Trekker; locking blade and locking screwdriver, and a contoured grip that actually makes it decent to use as a folding knife. Plus for some reason the lock-release is designed such that it's easier to operate with the left hand, which is great for this leftie :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2013, 06:42:58 AM »
You all are helping me with my (budgeted) Christmas shopping!

According to my cobbler, most Frye footwear is BIFL. So far so good, with my boots!

Serve&Volley88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2013, 02:52:56 PM »
For men's dress shoes Allen Edmonds...I am getting a pair, lots of reports of these getting more than ten years.  http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF2143_1_40000000001_-1

Anyone else know men's clothing brands for dress or casual wear?

AE's are great. Alden is another high quality, made in America brand. I have some pairs that are a decade old. Every couple of years get them resoled and re-heeled, which will cost less than a crappy pair of Rockports from Macy's.

Brooks Brothers is a good bet for nice dress/casual wear. The quality is not what it used to be, but it's still better than most other widely available stuff. Some of Lands End's offerings are good workhorses. I like their slim fit Supima cotton shirts...you can get them for $30 a pop during a sale, which LE has seemingly every week.

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2013, 02:18:32 PM »

I'm not sure why you're down specifically on Apple. I have a couple iPods of different ages, neither young any more. Both work like they did when new.

There's really no such thing as BIFL high tech unless you're willing to stay at that level of technology.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2013, 09:35:02 AM »

I'm not sure why you're down specifically on Apple. I have a couple iPods of different ages, neither young any more. Both work like they did when new.

There's really no such thing as BIFL high tech unless you're willing to stay at that level of technology.
I think the main issue with Apple is that their "fixability" is low (sealed cases, non-removable batteries, etc.).

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2013, 06:32:46 PM »
And that they have an unearned reputation for durability that misleads the uninformed.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2013, 06:54:16 PM »
I have to second the Patagonia recommendation, we love our clothing from them, they have great web specials and actually promote buying used whenever possible as a company.

My problem with a lot of BIFL type of things is that once I figure out that it was a really great product, it has been years and they no longer make that specific one, or the company has been bought and sold and the quality has gone down.

I have enjoyed reading this thread though, I found a lot of items that I will look for when things need replacing.

prudence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2013, 08:12:50 AM »
My Braun coffee maker has been going strong for 21 years so far..Makes the best coffee too! 

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2013, 08:20:12 AM »
Not sure if it's for life yet, but I've owned my Carolina work boots for three harsh winters so far, and they still look and feel brand new.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2013, 03:19:03 AM »
Just got a 12" Lodge pan as a gift. It's my first ever new cast iron, actually, and man, is it rough compared to my grandmother's (great grandmother's?) 9" model! I guess I'd better season it and get started on the years of scraping with a metal spatula. I'd heard the new ones were rougher, but I  think (hope) it can be overcome.

KimPossible

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2013, 08:29:28 PM »
Just got a 12" Lodge pan as a gift. It's my first ever new cast iron, actually, and man, is it rough compared to my grandmother's (great grandmother's?) 9" model! I guess I'd better season it and get started on the years of scraping with a metal spatula. I'd heard the new ones were rougher, but I  think (hope) it can be overcome.

Don't worry.  It'll get there.  I was just noticing tonight how smooth my skillet is--it definitely wasn't when I bought it (I'm not going to tell you how long ago that was, though--just get to cooking :) )

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2013, 02:00:06 PM »
Santa brought me a LED maglite this year, the king-size version that doubles as a "get out of my face" baton. Holy cow is that thing way brighter than the non-LED version!

I shall be keeping one at home and one in the car from now on.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2013, 02:03:25 PM »
Any suggestions for buy it for life clothes for women? shoes, slacks, blouses, dresses, coats, hosiery...

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
Any suggestions for buy it for life clothes for women? shoes, slacks, blouses, dresses, coats, hosiery...

Shoes: Italian loafers, leather with a matte finish.  Get re-soled/heeled/inserts/buffed as necessary.  Mine are 6 or 7 years old and still feel like buttah.

Coats: Wool peacoat.  I see no reason it won't last forever, as long as you keep it away from the moths.  Mine is over a decade old.

Hosiery: <blows raspberry/>

Slacks/Blouses/Dresses:  Turn the garment inside out and look at the seams.  Don't ever buy anything that's "aged" or with a "wash".  Elastic will give out eventually, so keep that in mind.  After that, it's more about the care.  Hand wash, gently.  Air dry.  Hit it with a cool iron if it needs it/will take it.  Wear undershirts to keep your pits off the clothing.  Spot clean and basically wash as little as possible.  Change out of it into lounging clothes as soon as you get home.  I had a blouse last for 15 years until I donated, mostly because I just outgrew the style.  It was from a very cheap store, but most of the seams were enclosed.  I think this is the key.

Remember:  Washing is the enemy of clothing.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2014, 02:38:14 PM »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2014, 05:14:49 PM »
Glass Measuring cup:  there's no handle, but I use wide mouth Ball canning jars for everything.   4, 8 and 16 oz sizes have markings on the side. 

Sheets:  I think brand is less important than how you treat them.  Sheets lasted a whole lot longer way back when because they didn't go into a clothes dryer.   Line dry everything and don't use fabric softeners or excessive amounts of soap or bleach. 

yogagirl95

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2014, 07:48:07 AM »
I have found that a lot of people just go out an buy a new item if it fails to perform. I have always investigated whether an item is under warranty. Recently I returned a tumbler to Tervis, it was only a $13 tumbler but it was something I used every day, at home and gym\work instead of buying water or tea.

I also use the skullcandy earphones ( get them at Tj maxx for $6) Ive sent them in for warranty a couple times for the past five years, so I am on the same pair for $6 plus some small shipping costs.

American Eagle stands by their clothing. My daughters backpack needs to go back to the store, most likely they will refund my $50. Ive taken back a shirt once that unraveled right away.

I have a citizen watch I bought 5 years ago, doesn't need batteries ( solar powered) and I have saved a lot of $ on that over the years. I was constantly buying batteries. It is dressy yet I can still wear it to the gym. I don't know if it has a lifetime warranty though, I will have to check that out. it was $130 and I will never have to buy a watch or batteries again.

skoshi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2014, 07:10:32 AM »
Does anyone have suggestions for a rice cooker?

The cook button on my last one broke and couldn't be replaced so I'm hoping I can find one that I won't have to replace for a while(preferably never)!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2014, 07:25:04 AM »

The cook button on my last one broke and couldn't be replaced so I'm hoping I can find one that I won't have to replace for a while(preferably never)!

a pot + stove

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2014, 09:05:41 AM »

Goodwill usually has them for about $5, or go on Craigslist.  Is a rice cooker something you need to buy for life?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »
I have enjoyed rereading this thread in a new light, thinking about my soon to be college grad son. 

Technologies change--for better or for worse.  The first time my son spent the summer in Britain at an archaeological field school, he took the tent that he had been using for years.  In fact, my husband had been given this Eureka A-frame as a high school graduation gift and had used it as a camp counselor in Maine where he led groups of kids out on the AT.  After decades of use, the tent finally died. Let's face it:  modern tent poles and materials are superior to the old but boy was that Eureka amazing! (Knowing that the floor was dying on the Eureka, we sent him off to Britain with a sheet of Tyvek.  Talk about a great material!)

His backpack is an Osprey--that is supposed to last a lifetime but we'll see.

His most recent birthday request was for a pair of Danner boots. 

Interestingly, he prefers handknitted superwash wool socks to store socks because they last longer.  Guess that will keep me busy for the rest of my life.

He is going to field test Carhartt pants with double front reinforcement.

Those of you who work or play in the outdoors may have some suggestions for me for future gifts.  Thanks in advance!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2014, 01:38:49 PM »
Oh my god, I didn't know Eureka tents could die at all. If they do I'm not surprised it's after decades of use.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
Oh my god, I didn't know Eureka tents could die at all. If they do I'm not surprised it's after decades of use.

I don't know what my husband's parents paid for his Eureka A-frame. but it was worth every penny.  It was a 2-man. Once the alliance was made with my eventual husband, we added a vestibule.  When The Boy came along, we went to a 3-man (Walrus) but the Eureka eventually was inherited by The Boy as his tent.

After 30+ years, the floor wore out and a zipper broke. 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2014, 06:47:30 AM »
I was disappointed to discover just now that Frye was bought out in 2003, and is now owned by a Chinese company. Almost all of their shoes, sandals, and boots are made in China or Mexico. Online reviews are saying that the quality has gone down.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2014, 08:18:40 AM »
I'm trying to find items that are made in the U.S.A and are also "buy it for life." (No offense to anyone--I know this is an international website.) Chacos are now made in China, but if you go on their website Chaco.com you can have your Chacos custom-made in Michigan for $130. I was looking at Filson workwear and some of their stuff is made in China, if you look closely at the website. And the Oneida brand (stainless cutlery, etc.) is completely outsourced now--it has not been American-made for years. Some of the former Oneida employees got together and bought the Sherill, NY factory. They are making several stainless patterns under the company name "Liberty Tabletop."  They claim it is better quality than the overseas stuff. I thought it looked nice, although I don't need stainless right now. (Full disclosure--I used to live in Oneida county, NY when we were in the military--I used the Oneida factory store all the time for "seconds" and feel a certain loyalty to the area. I hope their business does well.)

hydralover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »
Oakley Polarized Half Jacket XLJ Sunglasses - Been wearing them every day for almost 8 years now, frame is still in perfect condition (except for the words rubbing off).  This pair has been through EVERYTHING and I've never had a single problem.  Bought replacement lens about every 3 years and replacement rubber at the 6 year mark, but I do heavily abuse them.

Citizen Eco-drive Stiletto Watch - One watch for everything from hitting the gym to weddings (Mustachian and non-Mustachian alike!).  Plus solar-powered means no batteries to worry about.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:02:39 PM by hydralover »

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2014, 01:28:30 PM »

Citizen Eco-drive Stiletto Watch - One watch for everything from hitting the gym to weddings (Mustachian and non-Mustachian alike!).  Plus solar-powered means no batteries to worry about.

I have this watch and LOVE it.  Everyone comments on it.  That said, I bought it in my pre-Mustachian days (on sale, though), and bought both the black and the silver.   I guess, if I wanted to, I could sell the black one for what I paid for it...

S0VERE1GN

• Stubble
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2014, 09:03:37 AM »
Boots from L.L. Bean.

their return policy is epic. basically get full dollar amount replacement for any boot that wears out.

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »

I have this watch and LOVE it.  Everyone comments on it.  That said, I bought it in my pre-Mustachian days (on sale, though), and bought both the black and the silver.   I guess, if I wanted to, I could sell the black one for what I paid for it...

i got my fiance a citizen eco-drive on our engagement (not wildly mustachian but seemed more equal given he was giving me a ring or similar cost). he loves it.
unfortunately i don't wear watches and already have a nice one but that stiletto is lovely.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2014, 08:51:22 PM »
I bought a pair of the custom-made Chacos made in Michigan--you are given a bunch of options and you design them yourself--price is $130, but supposedly these things last a long time, and I try hard to buy American-made. I liked the idea of picking my own pattern for the straps and whatnot. Anyway, they arrived today, well-packaged and quicker than expected. I really like them--the good quality is obvious. (Full disclosure--I'm not connected with Chacos as a business in any way--just expressing my own preferences and opinions.)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2014, 01:24:33 AM »
I'm on my third pair of Chaco's. They're only buy it for life if you don't lose them canoeing and you don't own a shoe-eating dog. The first two pairs were all black but for this one I just went with the first one in my size on ebay that was cheap, so they're tan and muted camo. They're inoffensive enough.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2014, 01:54:30 AM »
Just splurged on a Pelican cooler.  Lifetime warranty on the body.  It does look like it will be the last cooler I ever buy.  Half the price of a Yeti at CostCo.

On cookware, +1 on the Lodge products.  I have promised myself a Staub French oven when my current Lodge enameled pot dies, but all indications say that will be decades from now.

Also, on the Cuisinart stainless cookware.  We've had ours for going on a decade and they are like new.  Don't expect to need to replace them ever, and WAY cheaper than All-Clad.

No way of knowing of the Blendtec will be BIFL, but worth every penny if it dies one day after the 8-year warranty expires.

Also, Wusthof and other quality knives.  I've got a Henkels and a couple Globals in the mix as well.  Aside from maybe one day buying a fillet knife, don't see any more kitchen knife purchases in my future.

train_writer

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2014, 08:00:05 AM »
- I own a Moulinex grinder -coffee, peppers, you name it- dated 1951
- Women's shoes, I have 2 pair of shoes from a local workshop - tend to last a decade.
- I hope and think that the art I purchase will last a life time :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:39:58 AM by train_writer »

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2014, 03:18:17 PM »
I'm trying to find items that are made in the U.S.A and are also "buy it for life." (No offense to anyone--I know this is an international website.)
http://www.saddlebackleather.com for leather items such as bags and wallets. Lifetime guarantee and I've heard great things, at least about the wallets. Still contemplating buying one myself as my current one (not a Saddleback) is falling apart after 10 years of service.

Customs charges are the reason I haven't bought one yet (I'm not in the US).

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2014, 03:40:57 PM »
basd, you might want to take a look at Oberon Designs, a California company.  oberondesign.com   I have a Kindle cover and two checkbook covers from there…I really like their stuff. Saddleback looks great, although I would think their products are too heavy for travel. But it sure looks like BIFL!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2014, 03:44:28 PM »
I just spent a good twenty minutes polishing my ebayed Allen Edmonds. I think they're in better shape now than when I bought them. I don't normally love shoes, but both of these have been terrific. I almost wish I needed a third pair.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2014, 06:35:39 AM »
basd, you might want to take a look at Oberon Designs, a California company.  oberondesign.com   I have a Kindle cover and two checkbook covers from there…I really like their stuff. Saddleback looks great, although I would think their products are too heavy for travel. But it sure looks like BIFL!
Thanks for the tip lizzzi, but those designs aren't really to my taste.. As I'm only looking for a wallet, which I'll probably be carrying around in a shoulder bag or bagpack anyway, I'll probably go for Saddleback.

Again, thanks though, comparing alternatives is always a good thing.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2014, 06:48:37 AM »
I'm trying to find items that are made in the U.S.A and are also "buy it for life." (No offense to anyone--I know this is an international website.)
http://www.saddlebackleather.com for leather items such as bags and wallets. Lifetime guarantee and I've heard great things, at least about the wallets. Still contemplating buying one myself as my current one (not a Saddleback) is falling apart after 10 years of service.

Customs charges are the reason I haven't bought one yet (I'm not in the US).

I can confirm Saddleback as BIFL.  I have the medium satchel and it's only getting better with age.   When my current wallet dies I'll get the replacement from there.

NestEggChick (formerly PFgal)

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »
I love Corelle dishes! My parents bought a set in the 1980s. When they got tired of them and wanted a new pattern, I inherited them - free dishes! After many years, I finally admitted to myself that I hated the pattern, so I gave them to my younger cousin who was still in college - free dishes for him! He ended up with a roommate who had dishes already (the same pattern!) so he gave them to his brother - free dishes for another family member! They're still being used today.

Of course, I replaced that ugly old set with a new set of Corelle in a pattern I like better. They're really thin, so they don't take up much room in a cabinet, and they're lightweight. And Corelle replaces any chipped or broken items! (If they don't have the exact item, you can choose something similar). I haven't had to do it, but my mother did once.

I love my L.L. Bean boots. I wear them almost every day in the winter because they're super warm and also completely waterproof (win!) I've had them for about 10 years and they've gotten me through a lot of snow, slush, ice, and cold. There's a warranty on them, of course, but I haven't had to use it.

Someone else mentioned old wood furniture, and I have to second that. I am currently sitting at the wood desk that my mother used as a child in the 1950s. It's gorgeous and looks great. I also have several dressers and a nightstand from the same set of furniture and they're all in fantastic condition, despite many moves to different homes.

I have my grandmother's old Kitchen Aid mixer. I have no idea what year it was from (definitely no later than the 1980s, but probably a decade or two earlier than that), but it's lasted well.

This is a great idea for a thread! After years of decluttering, I finally feel good about what I own and no longer want to buy anything new, so it really bothers me when I need to replace something that breaks (though I try to do without it when I can.) If I have to replace something, I'd love it to be with a BIFL item!

Seldom Spending

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2014, 06:08:43 PM »

First post. I know the above us now about two months old, but I thought I'd chime in. The BIFL rice cooker over here in Taiwan is the Tatung electric cooker. The things last forever, and make great rice. They're also great for steaming and reheating. It takes a minimal amount of study to learn how to make perfect rice. You have to add water to both the rice bowl and the cooker itself. If you are willing to learn, this is one of the most versatile cooking appliances you can own. And, I've seen them in the US new. Not sure if they will have hit CL yet, though. They're not terribly expensive new anyway.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2014, 08:24:16 PM »
I'm on my third pair of Chaco's. They're only buy it for life if you don't lose them canoeing and you don't own a shoe-eating dog. The first two pairs were all black but for this one I just went with the first one in my size on ebay that was cheap, so they're tan and muted camo. They're inoffensive enough.

I wore through my Chaco sandals in about two years . . . I ride shoes really hard. 

El Marinero

• Stubble
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2014, 04:06:18 PM »
Most garden hose reels are fragile, leaking plastic bits of soon-to-be garbage.

Eley (Rapid Reel) makes a solid one that is mostly aluminum and brass.  I have two - the ten year old one still works like new, leak-free despite having to cope with my neighborhoods unusually high water pressure (105 psi).

They are pricey, but you only need to buy once.