Author Topic: Buy It For Life!  (Read 300128 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Buy It For Life!
« Reply #350 on: January 15, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »
After pining for a barbell and Olympic plates for years (but too frugal to buy), I read MMMs new post with him pictured doing a barbell squat. That was enough to push me over the edge and buy a barbell with plates, both of which should last me my entire lifetime.

Short of leaving them outside in the elements (which I don't plan to do) or droping them from height, what could possibly happen to shorten, their virtually endless, longevity? I don't want to ever buy these again.

Your wife gets tired of seeing them (unused) in the family room, taking up space....

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #351 on: January 15, 2017, 04:02:37 PM »
I think hammers really do last a very long time, though. I have a small ball peen hammer that was my grandfather's and for all I know, his grandfather's.

I found a 3# sledge that a family member lost in the woods 20 years prior. The handle was gone, but his name was still clear. He put a new handle on it and it worked fine.

My corded Hilti hammer drill (mentioned earlier) is showing its age with what I would consider light use. . .

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #352 on: February 18, 2017, 02:36:56 PM »
Basically all clothing items wear out, so the only ones that qualify are the ones with lifetime free replacement guarantees.  REI gear, Land's End, Osprey, a few others.  Those are BIFL companies, though, not BIFL items.
I got a MEC rainjacket from the thrift store. MEC has a lifetime warranty. The inside PU membrane is cracked and peeling off at the neck and armpit areas. I wonder If I can fix it by myself and what are the steps to do that.
Or if I should try to see if the MEC can replace/repair it? Does anyone have some advice.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 03:57:59 PM by tomita »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #353 on: February 19, 2017, 12:45:08 AM »
Basically all clothing items wear out, so the only ones that qualify are the ones with lifetime free replacement guarantees.  REI gear, Land's End, Osprey, a few others.  Those are BIFL companies, though, not BIFL items.
I got a MEC rainjacket from the thrift store. MEC has a lifetime warranty. The inside PU membrane is cracked and peeling off at the neck and armpit areas. I wonder If I can fix it by myself and what are the steps to do that.
Or if I should try to see if the MEC can replace/repair it? Does anyone have some advice.

Thanks
  ooh,  I just noticed this on my son's MEC jacket.  following, because  I never considered the warranty option.  hm. what about a pull on my merino sweater?

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #354 on: February 19, 2017, 03:00:05 AM »
Ooooh, MagLites are definitely worthy of this list too. Really practical when operating in tight corners, you can just, ermm, stick it in your mouth and have both hands free. I leave the king-size model in my glove box, it doubles as a "leave-me-alone" stick should I become stranded in a questionable neighborhood.

I always thought some sort of a mouthpiece, complete with drool catching tray, should be included with the smaller MagLites.

These exist, you replace the end cap with a little rubber wedge

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #355 on: February 19, 2017, 07:57:27 AM »
*snip*
hm. what about a pull on my merino sweater?

Tug gently on the fabric on the sides and then above and below the pull, in an effort to get as much of the pulled yarn back in place as you can.  Then, using a small crochet hook, poke the hook through the fabric at the base of the pull from wrong side to right side, grab the pull with the hook, and pull that dangly yarn through to the wrong side of the sweater.  If you don't have a crochet hook, you can use a needle.  Here is a little video on using needles, with and without thread, to pull through the snagged yarn.

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #356 on: April 03, 2017, 05:15:07 PM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for button down shirts - that are durable?
Tired of buying shirts that don't last.
I know clothing isn't usually BIFL, but I would like something as durable as I can get.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #357 on: April 04, 2017, 05:15:00 AM »
What is wearing out on your shirts?

LLBean and Land's End seem very well made, and my dh has a couple of Abercrombie shirts from the thrift store that seem nice and heavy.

Eventually, the collars look shabby, and if your really want to extend the life of a shirt you can pick out the stitching, turn the collar over, and resew it.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #358 on: April 15, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »
The points of the collars wear out on mine, as well as the ends of the sleeves where the shirt rubs against my desk. The Gold Label shirts from Dillard's seem to last as long as any of them, but are definitely not BIFL.

Todge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #359 on: May 11, 2017, 12:56:06 AM »
Australian Drizabone Oilskin coats. Last forever. They've been making them for almost 120 years. Stories abound in Australia of people owning the coats for 50+ years.

Overflow

• Stubble
« Reply #360 on: May 11, 2017, 07:12:51 AM »
I have read through most of this thread and haven't seen it mentioned yet so...

Cutco Knives!

We received a small set for our wedding and they have been amazing. 6 years in and just as sharp as the day we got them. If you ever need them repaired or sharpened, they will do it for free (I think you just pay shipping).

I regularly tease my parents, because they have owned many sets of kitchen knives of the years. Rather than dropping a bit more to get a good set that will last 30 years, they have to buy a new set every few years. And none of their knives have ever cut as well as the Cutco ones we have.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #361 on: May 19, 2017, 04:12:51 PM »
Also in theater kitchen category: frying pans. I go against the general consensus and recommend iron, but not cast iron for frying pans. Still heavy, but less so than cast iron. Also less brittle, which is a nice perk if it ever drops. Virtually indistructable material.
I have a DeBuyer pan, which I absolutely love. http://www.debuyer.com/en/products/mineral-b-element-round-fry-pan

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #362 on: June 05, 2017, 08:18:29 AM »
I know clothing isn't usually BIFL, but I would like something as durable as I can get.

Land's End (particularly when they are on sale).
Costco has really low prices on Kirkland Signature dress shirts (button down and spread collars).  No idea about their longevity but I trust Costco and full price is $17.95.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #363 on: June 05, 2017, 08:43:01 AM »

Costco has really low prices on Kirkland Signature dress shirts (button down and spread collars).  No idea about their longevity but I trust Costco and full price is $17.95.

How do they make it so cheaply? Second you on the Lands end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #364 on: June 07, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »

How do they make it so cheaply? Second you on the Lands end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it is a reflection on the giant mark ups that other retailers take that Costco does not.  I just bought a white Kirkland Signature button down oxford on sale at Costco for $12.97.  I can't tell any difference between it and my expensive dress shirts.  It will not last forever but I suspect it will last as long as my other more expensive dress shirts.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #365 on: July 24, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »

I have Lands End shirts, wore them daily for over 20 years.  Now they sit in the closet because I FIRED.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #366 on: July 25, 2017, 08:23:33 AM »
I just used the Vitamix for the first time at a friend's house. Threw in a couple of large and square ice cubes in my smoothie and they are now gone! Any normal blender that I have used simply bounces them around (tumbles them) and makes a ton of noise. Not this one.

To each his own.

BTW - being mustachian means a lot of things, not just what you purchase and what you don't or how much you pay for a mixer. It seems as though some people wield the label like a sword, for whatever reason they have, picking out what serves their cause or makes their point and discarding the rest (until use later for another "cause").

I ride bikes and have for my entire life - and I mean commute to work pre-FIRE for 30+ years, shopping, play, etc. every day, but I have a powerboat, motorcycle, and a van. I have a 4 bedroom house with a pool, but have made the house so efficient that my power bill dropped to less than half of the previous owner and should be able sell it for a significant profit in the next few years when we downsize. I spend 2.5 times as much as the 4% Rule on a million bucks, but I FIRED at 54 (had plans for 47, but got remarried to my DW with 3 children which added a few years onto that). I also own some expensive things because I like them, they often work flawlessly, and they usually last a long time. I'd rather not go out and buy a new one every year, regardless of how much I save in the process. As an example, I could go out and buy a Harbor Freight table grinder for less than half the price of a Dewalt, but it wobbles and has a loose grinding plate and therefore is dangerous and my end product (sharpened teeth on my Vermeer stump grinder) are not sharpened properly. How much does buying the cheep table grinder save me? Answer - it doesn't.

BTW- I did use dandelion greens in my smoothie, but got them at Whole Foods ; )

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #367 on: July 25, 2017, 08:35:58 AM »
8. Cuisinart Food Processor- as long as you don't break the plastic lid it's good. had mine 12 years
I broke the plastic lid on mine.  But before that, it lasted my grandpa about 30 years and me about 5 years.  Now I have a shitty Walmart food processor.  I'm sure I'll get another Cuisinart eventually.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #368 on: July 31, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »
8. Cuisinart Food Processor- as long as you don't break the plastic lid it's good. had mine 12 years
I broke the plastic lid on mine.  But before that, it lasted my grandpa about 30 years and me about 5 years.  Now I have a shitty Walmart food processor.  I'm sure I'll get another Cuisinart eventually.

Wait, why not just buy another lid?
Try the Cuisinart parts page (select the model first)
Try EBay searches

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #369 on: August 01, 2017, 06:13:09 AM »

FYI, if your Cuisinart food processor has rivets in the blades, the blade has been recalled. Contact Cuisinart for a free replacement - but be prepared for a LONG wait.

https://www.consumerreports.org/recalls/cuisinart-food-processor-blade-replacement-delayed/

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #370 on: August 01, 2017, 07:38:39 AM »

FYI, if your Cuisinart food processor has rivets in the blades, the blade has been recalled. Contact Cuisinart for a free replacement - but be prepared for a LONG wait.

https://www.consumerreports.org/recalls/cuisinart-food-processor-blade-replacement-delayed/
Mine was definitely from way before '96, but thanks for the heads-up.  I can't believe the affected blades span almost 20 years, that's nuts.
The food processors were sold from July 1996 through December 2015

And it took a pretty bad tumble in a move, so there was more broken on it before the lid situation.  The poor thing deserved better than I dealt out.

Snow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #371 on: August 02, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
I am really looking forward to getting a solid Kenwood (all glass and stainless steel bowls/jugs, 1700W motor) kitchen machine in a month or two. I have gotten so accustomed to using it at friends and family that our kitchen feels like it is missing something essential without it. I love making things from scratch, and baking bread/sauerkraut/making hummus or other dips gets so much easier with one.

But one of the things I like the most is that the model I'm looking at (the Titanium) has a 10 year motor guarantee (I have friends who have had theirs for over 20 years with no hiccups) and the whole customisable thing. Instead of filling my kitchen with several motors that all could break down individually and cost a lot to produce/recycle, it makes much more sense to me to get one, sturdy motor (hence paying the premium for a 1700W motor) with repair options. You can get attachments to the Kenwood (blender jugs, spice grinder, food processor, ice cream maker, whatever) that can do almost anything short of making waffles. They are amazing. Oh, and they make great bread/pizza too.

GailNYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #372 on: August 22, 2017, 04:06:28 PM »
Loving this thread!

I bought a Brooklyn Industries backpack fifteen years ago that is ridiculously sturdy and doesn't seem to be wearing out at all. I kind of wish it would, because I'm a little tired of it, but oh well. I use it every day for work (I'm a teacher).

http://www.brooklynindustries.com/bags_backpacks/

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #373 on: August 26, 2017, 01:57:46 AM »
Someone commented 'Not BIFL-> any apple product.'  I get what they were trying to say, buuuut I enjoy my apple products and I don't find the windows or non-apple equivalent to last any longer.
it all depends on how you use it.. i'm still using my ipod nano generation 2 circa 2007 which makes it 10 years old. and my mac air gen 1 circa 2010 daily. the mac air has gone through many os upgrades and one ssd upgrade. still going strong and i'll see if they hit the 15 year mark.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2017, 04:29:13 PM »
Just ordered a second hand dress for $1000, and am looking to spend another ~300 on accessories. Since we already have two dresses in the same category, we can reuse some of the jewelry, but need to get a different type of shoes and ribbons. I expect this dress to last for at least two generations. The two dresses we already have are approaching 50 and 25 years old, and will last for a long time.

Sounds crazy to spend so much on a piece of clothing, but these are national costumes that never go out of fashion (since the design already is several 100 years old), and can replace the need for all types of "nice" clothes, including a wedding dress. I got married in the dress that now is approaching 25 y.o., and my kids have used the same dress for dancing and singing performances the last few years. The oldest dress was an inheritance from my grandmother via an aunt.

This newest purchase is to celebrate the kids' Sami roots through their father's side. We are all waiting for the mail to arrive:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 04:30:58 PM by gaja »

RobertSullivan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #375 on: September 16, 2017, 10:46:55 AM »
Nonstick cookware is one thing you should not BIFL. Even the highest price nonstick all-clad pan will eventually lose its non-stick ability unlike the All-Clad d5!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #376 on: December 01, 2017, 07:25:26 AM »
Loving this thread!

I bought a Brooklyn Industries backpack fifteen years ago that is ridiculously sturdy and doesn't seem to be wearing out at all. I kind of wish it would, because I'm a little tired of it, but oh well. I use it every day for work (I'm a teacher).

http://www.brooklynindustries.com/bags_backpacks/

I have the same problem with my Eastpack backpack - I got it when I was in Uni, and I want to buy a new one now but I can't justify it 'cause my Eastpack is still in great condition...

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #377 on: December 01, 2017, 05:51:27 PM »
An old, all-metal sewing machine. I have an old Kenmore that someone gave us. I've seen them at thrift stores.

I know this is an old comment, but I have a Viking that was built in the 80's. It was the model that schools had, when schools taught sewing. All metal. a workhorse.

I like it so much I've bought several off ebay, for parts. but they all work!

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #378 on: December 01, 2017, 05:54:42 PM »
KitchenAid bowl mixers- I just inherited one from grandma. I hope to pass it to my grand kids. ;o) Built in the 80's

The legend on these items came from the model they produced in the 80's. It was a sweet spot in technology where high quality mattered more then planned obsolescence. These were designed to (...and fully live up to the expectation) live FOREVER. :)

I received a KA mixer as a wedding gift, 1981. It's still going strong. Now they are made by xxxxxx  and it sounds like the quality has plummeted.
I've seen them go for more used, than a new one
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 06:03:14 PM by TheWifeHalf »

poetdereves

• Stubble
« Reply #379 on: December 07, 2017, 09:35:44 AM »
Jansport backpacks are the best, simple backpacks I have owned. The one I am currently using was my wife’s in high school. It has made it through her high school, college, and master’s degrees, and I am now using it for my second degree. I think she got it in 2003, and it is still in great shape. I often carry 30 lbs of computers and books, have used it hiking through many day trps, and tossed it around harshly while it keeps on working. Probably the only item I have seen last us 10+ years.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #380 on: December 29, 2017, 05:58:03 AM »
I have read through most of this thread and haven't seen it mentioned yet so...

Cutco Knives!

We received a small set for our wedding and they have been amazing. 6 years in and just as sharp as the day we got them. If you ever need them repaired or sharpened, they will do it for free (I think you just pay shipping).

I regularly tease my parents, because they have owned many sets of kitchen knives of the years. Rather than dropping a bit more to get a good set that will last 30 years, they have to buy a new set every few years. And none of their knives have ever cut as well as the Cutco ones we have.

I sold Cutco for a summer after graduating high school in 2000. We had to buy a sample set for $140 at the time. (I ended up making $2000 in sales over 12 weeks of work and figured out that I hated sales). Cutco knives are still fantastic after 17 years. I haven't needed to sharpen or replace any of them. They get daily use.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #381 on: December 29, 2017, 08:44:38 AM »
Cutco knives are still fantastic after 17 years. I haven't needed to sharpen or replace any of them. They get daily use.

Are they made of steel?  Any kind of steel at all?

Because if you've been using kitchen knives daily for 17 years, then I can pretty much guarantee you that they need to be sharpened.  It doesn't matter if they're the finest knives ever made.  Knives need to be sharpened.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #382 on: December 29, 2017, 02:34:40 PM »
Cutco knives are still fantastic after 17 years. I haven't needed to sharpen or replace any of them. They get daily use.

Because if you've been using kitchen knives daily for 17 years, then I can pretty much guarantee you that they need to be sharpened.  It doesn't matter if they're the finest knives ever made.  Knives need to be sharpened.

Yep, they are made of 440a steel. If they're not noticeably dulled, I continue using them.

Dictionary Time

• Stubble
« Reply #383 on: December 29, 2017, 03:32:54 PM »

Mine was definitely from way before '96, but thanks for the heads-up.  I can't believe the affected blades span almost 20 years, that's nuts.
The food processors were sold from July 1996 through December 2015

And it took a pretty bad tumble in a move, so there was more broken on it before the lid situation.  The poor thing deserved better than I dealt out.

Definitely try to get a new lid!  I had an old one from the 80s (garage sale w/box and all in the late 90s) and it was awesome.  The lid broke and I thought "Well, it served me well, time to get a new one."  The new ones are horrible, Cuisinart or not, they are junk.  Try to keep the old one going.

slacker41

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #384 on: May 16, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »
I made a google doc spreadsheet of the items in this thread. Only includes the first few pages, but hopefully, others can add to it. Way more efficient than scrolling through this post.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vm_zQGcHaRGuFoPvQmhOsR7mxv9WM2DytdNPT2Xc95o/edit?usp=sharing

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #385 on: May 16, 2018, 02:53:29 PM »

Yep, they are made of 440a steel. If they're not noticeably dulled, I continue using them.

I'm not a steel or knife expert or anything . . . but:

https://knifeup.com/how-good-is-44a-steel/

"While good in terms of cost and stain resistance, 440A steel is not so stellar in wear resistance."

"In short, 440A steel makes a good choice for applications where cost and stain resistance are foremost. If the ability to hold an edge or toughness are bigger concerns, choose another metal. If used for a display item or a light duty tool, then it will serve well. Most likely, if you purchased a cheap kitchen knife from Walmart or the internet, it will be made of some type of 440 steel."

I suspect that you would be blown away with the difference a good sharpening will make to your knives.

jamesdg33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #386 on: May 18, 2018, 09:54:08 AM »
I've got an itch for a Vita-Mix, but those suckers are $500.  Just can't justify that expense.

Got one of these at Costco when it was on sale for 335 and never looked back! I've used it everyday for 5 five years, and it's been AMAZING. I've broken two of the plastic containers and they have been replaced with no questions asked under warranty. Completely recommend the investment!

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #387 on: May 18, 2018, 01:10:33 PM »

I'm not a steel or knife expert or anything . . . but:

https://knifeup.com/how-good-is-44a-steel/

"While good in terms of cost and stain resistance, 440A steel is not so stellar in wear resistance."

"In short, 440A steel makes a good choice for applications where cost and stain resistance are foremost. If the ability to hold an edge or toughness are bigger concerns, choose another metal. If used for a display item or a light duty tool, then it will serve well. Most likely, if you purchased a cheap kitchen knife from Walmart or the internet, it will be made of some type of 440 steel."

I suspect that you would be blown away with the difference a good sharpening will make to your knives.
Yeah, my mom has never honed or sharpened a knife, ever. Most of her kitchen knives are as dull as butter knives, but she would never know the difference if one of us didn't complain about it every time we try to prep food in her kitchen. She keeps a serrated "ginsu" knife for cutting tomatoes, and everything else is just brute forced.

RunningintoFI

• Stubble
  • Paid to optimize. Love not to.
« Reply #388 on: June 03, 2018, 04:40:38 PM »

Maybe they are made of Valyrian Steel.  No concerns at all then...

One thing that is truly BIFL is plastic bags.  Several years ago before I switched over to getting all my purchases/groceries into re-usable carrying bags, I accumulated some plastic bags and decided to find a good use for them in the true spirit of re-using the material.  Turns out plastic bags make for incredible waterproof liners around socks for hiking or sports in the snow/rain.  Not to mention the obvious utility of carrying around items. 

Mon€yp€nny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #389 on: June 24, 2018, 06:11:00 AM »
I have bought my kids schoolbags with lifetime warranty from Eastpak. Only downside was that I had to get my youngest a smaller backpack cause the normal size was looking very sad on a 4 year old. So that one will not do for the rest of her school career.
I choose bags without a print. They might not like the prints later. My 8 year old has a dark blue messenger bag that will fit a small laptop later.
We often call her bag 'the cheesefactory', somehow her school milk is always leaking while her sister doesn't have that issue with the same bottle We use Mepal Rosti bottles, bekers and breadboxes.One breadbox used to be mine when I went to school, it's about 22 years old. We don't buy milk or juiceboxes, we fill their bottles every morning.
The cheesefactory can be cleaned easily without damaging it (forgot to empty the side pockets last time I washed it in a bucket, oops).

I'm replacing my underwear with Sloggy underwear with lifetime warranty (Everlast, European). They are great.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:42:56 AM by Mon€yp€nny »

sanderh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #390 on: July 01, 2018, 02:45:13 AM »
Polycarbonate safety glasses: $2 from a construction shop, use them for cycling (large wraparound lenses, protect from insects, dust, etc). 99% UV block from clear lenses (can see at night with the glasses on). Others buy $100 cycling glasses from a bike shop...

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #391 on: July 24, 2018, 10:30:43 AM »
I thought of another one. I have a couple of hones that I use for sharpening up my knives / axes / tools / razor at home. I'm not sure if that explicitly counts for this discussion but it's keeping a LOT of my stuff in working order for much longer than it would otherwise.

I realize this was posted 4 years ago, but I'd love to learn about a BILF hone and/or kitchen knife sharpener.

This thread rules btw.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #392 on: July 30, 2018, 10:15:19 PM »
I have some favorites, many which have been hand me downs from my mom, who got them years ago:

1. Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I think my mom got this in the early 1980s...it is still pretty much perfect. All of the attachments work, you can grind dried fruit/nuts/meat or whatever in the grinder, I whip perfect whipped cream up, countless batches of cookies, etc. Every now and then it has a moment where it seems like it might be struggling (usually when I overload it with a triple batch of cookies), but then it just pulls through! I hope I have it forever! Meanwhile, my mom has a newer version and totally regrets gifting her old one to me, because it works so much better!

2. Champion Juicer. Man, I don't even know how old this is (late 1970s??), but I grew up with my mom using it basically daily, and then when I moved away as an adult she gifted it to me. I don't use it nearly as much as I should, but it works perfectly and makes the best juice ever. It also makes amazing dairy free ice cream out of frozen fruits!

3. Whatever old cast iron pan I've had since college that I found at the thrift store for $1.00. It seems way nicer than the Lodge one that I found a few years later, and has a beautiful sheen to the surface that seems to indicate many years of use. I never use any butter/oil in it and nothing sticks. I use it every day and hope I never have to buy another one!

4. Used Patagonia clothing. I occasionally buy new things from them, but notice there is a distinct difference in quality from about 10 years ago and back, vs. now. So any time I find an item of clothing at the consignment shop that is older (you can honestly tell just from thickness of fabric/stitching) I pick it up. I have a few beautiful dresses that I can't imagine ever wearing out, the fabric is amazingly thick and soft. A couple of jackets I have found here and there are just amazing. I do have one newer hardshell jacket I purchased that seems to be high quality, so I hope it will last a lifetime as well.

5. LL Bean wool blanket. I don't know how old this is, my dad has had it since college. It's scratchy, and wool-ey, but amazingly warm if you really need it. I keep it in my car as an emergency during winter (live in the mountains), and use it as an extra layer on especially cold nights. It's great for picnic-ing, camping, moving furniture, everything...it has seen a ton, and doesn't even have a loose thread.

ok so most of mine are amazing things my parents handed down to me. But, maybe that's the point, they are so high quality that they can actually be passed down...I don't know if I own anything that I've actually purchased new now that I can imagine holding up to be passed down. Everything I buy new seems to wear out within a few years of use (although I am admittedly hard on gear/clothing)

I do own a Vitamix (also handed down from my mom) and I think it's about 8-10 years old. I don't consider it a BIFL item though, because I can tell it is getting worn over time. It is still just as powerful, but complains loudly at things that it used to blend with ease. I fear an implosion in the next 2-3 years, and probably won't replace it

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #393 on: July 31, 2018, 11:49:15 AM »
1. Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I think my mom got this in the early 1980s...it is still pretty much perfect. Meanwhile, my mom has a newer version and totally regrets gifting her old one to me, because it works so much better!

4. Used Patagonia clothing. I occasionally buy new things from them, but notice there is a distinct difference in quality from about 10 years ago and back, vs. now. So any time I find an item of clothing at the consignment shop that is older (you can honestly tell just from thickness of fabric/stitching) I pick it up. I have a few beautiful dresses that I can't imagine ever wearing out, the fabric is amazingly thick and soft. A couple of jackets I have found here and there are just amazing. I do have one newer hardshell jacket I purchased that seems to be high quality, so I hope it will last a lifetime as well.

My mom has said exactly the same thing about her new Kitchen Aid versus the early 1980s one she gave me. That old one is a beast. Anyone looking to buy one should be looking in thrift shops and garage sales.

And you just cannot kill older Patagonia clothing. I've started to take advantage of their Worn Wear program to send back some stuff for repairs (free except the cost of shipping it to them), and it's all stuff I've bought in the last few years. The older things are still going strong. So I agree with trying to find used Patagonia things. And make sure it's a color you love, because you'll be looking at it for decades!

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #394 on: August 02, 2018, 01:48:56 PM »
Bikes:
Steel framed touring bike (Trek 520, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Kona Sutra, Rocky Mountain Sherpa, 100s others). Parts will wear out over time, but all are easily replaceable. Short of being hit by a truck or bear, the frame will out last you (if you are still on it when either of those potential events occur, it will probably survive better than you).

I have '94' Trek 820 that is still going strong, although I'm not the first owner.
I paid $30 at a yard sale a few years ago.

BobMueller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #395 on: August 02, 2018, 06:55:30 PM »
So over on Reddit there's a subforum called "Buy It For Life" that includes items found (or requests for items) that for the rest of your days you'll only need to buy one of, or at least for some vast amount of time.  Different rules apply for immortals, obviously.  Unfortunately this little subforum doesn't get much traffic, but I think it'd be far more popular here.

So, say you need X power tool.  You've done a ton of research as a mustachian, asking friends, checking reviews, looking at prices.  You've decided on the "DeWalt Warhammer BFH1000" to suit your needs based on the results of all of your research, despite the fact that it may cost twice as much as the other options, it can be reasonably expected to perform well for 25-30 years.  May or may not have been used on CL :) It is then labelled as "BIFL" and shared with your fellow mustaches.  Right here!

And if you have a request, throw it out there too!  Work boots, camping gear, tools, appliances, whatever.  I, unfortunately, can't think of anything to start off with :\

ETA: This is an old thread that could definitely do with some cleanup and arrangement.  User "godin1" created this website: http://LastMeALifetime.com/ If anyone had a desire to spreadsheet all this stuff in a shareable google doc, I'd be happy to post up here at the top as well.
Beware, threads like this can be full of product endorsements from marketing departments. Read skeptically.

Rhinodad

• Stubble
« Reply #396 on: August 03, 2018, 06:30:00 AM »
Some might find this to be over the top, but I got a Big Green Egg 9 years ago for my birthday from my entire family. Best thing ever. Lifetime warranty/guaranty. The customer service has been exceptional. I live in WI. and cook on it 4x per week all year long and it stays exposed to the elements and I've not had any issues.

kenaces

• Bristles
« Reply #397 on: November 27, 2018, 11:27:11 AM »
For me BIFL = I am pretty sure it will last longer than me:
- Set of Adler kettlebells
- 1972 Thomas Knatt classical guitar
- Brass bookends that were my grandmothers. As she would have said, "from the old country".
- some gold and silver coins

Looking at my stuff through this BIFL lens is interesting.  I have slowly become something of a minimalist but still have very few possessions that will out last me.  I do have a few things that have held up well but but might not pass my BIFL test:
- Nashbar cycling socks that are almost 30 years old and somehow are still in good shape with regular use.
- Specialized bike helmet that is ~25 years old and still fine
- I had an Arcteryx backpack that I beat up(rock climbing /backpacking) for ~20 years that I sold but I suspect it will last a long time.  It was very well built and the company repaired one failed strap maybe 10 years ago.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #398 on: November 28, 2018, 10:12:17 AM »
I second the Le Creuset recommendation, and add All-Clad pans to the list. I've had my All-Clad for five years, and they are terrific. They transfer heat very quickly through the copper core, but the stainless steel exterior is extremely easy to clean. A friend had one pot for about ten years, then boiled it dry and destroyed it; All-Clad replaced it no questions asked.

This. And keep in mind that, if you're near Pittsburgh (Washington, PA), you should avail yourself of the splendiforous "seconds" deals at the expo twice/year. The deals are significantly better than those at outlets, and generally the irregularities are far from glaring.

Agreed on the All Clad - that stuff is tough and also does it's job exceptionally well.  A few of my All Clad pots are approaching 23 years old and still look and function great.  I've no doubt I'll be handing them down to my grandkids one day.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #399 on: November 28, 2018, 10:24:18 AM »
Agreed on the All Clad - that stuff is tough and also does it's job exceptionally well.

I agree that AllClad makes great stuff, but it's overpriced.

Part of what makes them great is that they are tri-ply sandwiched construction, instead of aluminum.  That gives them excellent heat distribution, and then the lids fit nice and tight and the handles are attached properly.  They're quality pots and pans.

America's test kitchen, however, has reviewed a handful of other brands that share all of those features and cost half as much.  They measure the temperatures in various parts of the pans.  They wack them on countertops until they break.  They say that when you buy All Clad what you're mostly paying for is name recognition.  If you just want quality cooking utensils at reasonable prices, other people are making pots and pans that are just as good, and selling them at Walmart of all places.

Some folks still want the brand name stuff, and that's fine too if you have money to burn and want to support a particular company.  Just don't pretend you're getting your money's worth in terms of the actual product.