Author Topic: Buy It For Life!  (Read 300140 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Buy It For Life!
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2013, 09:42:53 AM »
Steel weights.

My set of steel weights, bar, and bench were purchased used back when I was a 16 year old, and (although I've added some more weights over time) are still serving me well now that I'm 32 years old.  They survived my teen years, lived in my mom's garage during university, got dusted off when I started getting fat immediately after graduation, and have been regularly used ever since.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:20:49 AM by GuitarStv »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »
My dad has a 6D maglite. That thing is a veritable Doom zombie masher if ever I saw one, and I'd take it over all the buckshot in the house (none) come the zombie apocalypse.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2013, 12:40:20 PM »
My dad has a 6D maglite. That thing is a veritable Doom zombie masher if ever I saw one, and I'd take it over all the buckshot in the house (none) come the zombie apocalypse.

Agreed... combine a 6D Maglite with a 1000 lumen TerraLUX MiniStar, and a 2oz. can of Fox Labs 5.3 OC spray (sadly, not BIFL in this thread's sense), one doesn't need a shotgun come the zombie apocalypse. ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 12:42:17 PM by I.P. Daley »

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2013, 03:42:26 PM »
Love this thread.. blend of style and substance is what I'm always looking for.

I second Le Creuset cookware. Find it used, save a ton of money, and have the world's best cookware for life.

A Stanley Thermos. My dad had one that he still brings to the lumber mill.

Vintage Bakelite cookware is also very reliable.

Haven't had it long enough to say definitely but my steel Bodum coffee mug keeps coffee hot forever and has held up quite nicely since I bought it 2 years ago.

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2013, 05:43:17 PM »
Other BIFL item: Victorinox swiss army knives. Other brands might work just fine, I just realized mine was a gift from over 15 years ago. Still pristine, with zero maintenance aside from cleaning it after use.

I was given a Victorinox Swiss Army knife as a teenager... never really used it. Now when I got myself a Leatherman Fuse nearly a decade ago, that was a different story. Well designed multi-tools are lovely little things, and I never leave home without it, a Gerber box cutter and a Mini Maglite strapped to my belt. Definitely BIFL tool investments for field techs.

Only time i've had to replace mine is when i lose them...

Arbor33

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 07:45:22 AM »
I recently purchased some Red Wing work boots with the hope that I will get at least 10 good years out of them. I tend to wear down the heel on most shoes within 1.5 years of use, and these boots are much easier to repair, so I am planning on replacing the outsole as needed. I have had them about 2 months now and they still get more and more comfortable each time I wear them. I have always had problems walking longer distances in my flat bottomed shoes, but I can walk miles in these without getting fatigued.

Red Wing makes some great boots. I've been rocking a pair of their Irish Setter hunting boots as my daily boot for about 7 years. The experience has been great except now they're reaching their end of life days. The heel of the boot wore pretty good and now they hiss fairly loud when I walk on hard surfaces. The little hooks that you cross your laces through broke off years ago. I'd definitely buy them again but I'm not sure I have to. I bought them through L.L. Bean and they have a lifetime satisfaction guarantee. I kinda feel like a jerk for taking them up on the offer after 7 years, but I also feel that I'd be dumb to spend ~$150 if I didn't have to.

I want to buy some more minimalist shoes for warmer weather. Do you guys have any idea what it would be like switching between boots with a ton of arch support, and shoes with none depending on the weather? I would like to try something like those barefoot shoes out, but it seems to me that constantly switching back and forth wouldn't allow you to adjust properly to either type of foot support.

I was also looking at Vibram shoes because I have heard that their out-soles are incredibly durable. Does anyone have experience switching back and forth between these kinds of shoes?

I am a boots/sandals/Vibram guy. Very rarely do I wear anything but those three options. Boots for about 7 months (NY winters) and the other two for the warmer seasons. The transition for me is effortless and I absolutely love the way my Vibrams feel. I have the KSO model that I got when they first came out. The soles are still in fantastic condition but the place where the fabric connects to the toes is starting to tear. I wear them hiking a lot so I tend to collect various flora between my toes unintentionally, which may contribute to the tears. Either way, the tears aren't from improper care.

The only other word of caution I'd offer is in regards to the Vibram funk. If you wear these shoes for 2-3 hours be prepared for a smell you likely haven't had the misfortune to experience. I have never had a foot odor issue but something about the Vibrams brings out the best of me. I have a few friends with the Bikila models and they swear they don't get the funk. While it's not as bad as the funk I get, it's still noticeable to my nose when they remove their shoes.

mm31

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »
I second Jansport school bags. I've had the same for more than 10 years now.

Good speakers ($200-$300 range) can also easily last you 10-15 years.

I also have a Sony radio (with CD player, etc) that's still going strong. I've had it for 13 years.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2013, 05:38:39 PM »
The only other word of caution I'd offer is in regards to the Vibram funk. If you wear these shoes for 2-3 hours be prepared for a smell you likely haven't had the misfortune to experience. I have never had a foot odor issue but something about the Vibrams brings out the best of me. I have a few friends with the Bikila models and they swear they don't get the funk. While it's not as bad as the funk I get, it's still noticeable to my nose when they remove their shoes.
True that. It's the worst thing about my Flows. Also, the sole texture starts to change and feels really awkward after a couple years, and I'm having the same tearing issue around the edges that you are even despite the pitifully small amount of use my shoes get. Oh well, now I just know to not buy them again expecting durability.

domestix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2013, 02:01:15 PM »
Great idea for a thread.  I have 3 suggestions:

1. My husband invested in a pair of Wahl Clippers that are of "professional" quality that he ordered through a hair salon. So far they have lasted 6 years of consistent use.  They have the heavy solid feel of something that should last forever.

2.  Blundstone boots (full grain leather).  My husband has owned the same pair for 8 years and wears them daily for both work in his laid back office and for his "winter" boots.  He's fastidious about maintaining by oiling and keeping them clean. This year he had them resoled at a local cobbler for $80, or half the price of a new pair of boots.

3. Chaco flip flops.  I wear flip flops daily as soon as it's warm enough and with other (similarly priced) flips I used to go through a pair in one season. My Chacos have lasted 4 years with only minor wearing on the soles. I loooove these.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2013, 06:52:11 AM »
Just received an emailing Le Creuset pot for my birthday from my Mom. (fortunately I know a place in the city where you can get them for 50% off), pot for life!

Igelfreundin

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2013, 07:56:25 AM »
I second the Le Creuset recommendation, and add All-Clad pans to the list. I've had my All-Clad for five years, and they are terrific. They transfer heat very quickly through the copper core, but the stainless steel exterior is extremely easy to clean. A friend had one pot for about ten years, then boiled it dry and destroyed it; All-Clad replaced it no questions asked.

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2013, 10:46:58 AM »
I second the Le Creuset recommendation, and add All-Clad pans to the list. I've had my All-Clad for five years, and they are terrific. They transfer heat very quickly through the copper core, but the stainless steel exterior is extremely easy to clean. A friend had one pot for about ten years, then boiled it dry and destroyed it; All-Clad replaced it no questions asked.

This. And keep in mind that, if you're near Pittsburgh (Washington, PA), you should avail yourself of the splendiforous "seconds" deals at the expo twice/year. The deals are significantly better than those at outlets, and generally the irregularities are far from glaring.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2013, 10:29:30 AM »
I recently purchased some Red Wing work boots with the hope that I will get at least 10 good years out of them. I tend to wear down the heel on most shoes within 1.5 years of use, and these boots are much easier to repair, so I am planning on replacing the outsole as needed. I have had them about 2 months now and they still get more and more comfortable each time I wear them. I have always had problems walking longer distances in my flat bottomed shoes, but I can walk miles in these without getting fatigued.

Red Wing makes some great boots. I've been rocking a pair of their Irish Setter hunting boots as my daily boot for about 7 years. The experience has been great except now they're reaching their end of life days. The heel of the boot wore pretty good and now they hiss fairly loud when I walk on hard surfaces. The little hooks that you cross your laces through broke off years ago. I'd definitely buy them again but I'm not sure I have to. I bought them through L.L. Bean and they have a lifetime satisfaction guarantee. I kinda feel like a jerk for taking them up on the offer after 7 years, but I also feel that I'd be dumb to spend ~$150 if I didn't have to.

Wasn't aware of the guarantee. I have a pair of Chukkas, they're not fully broken in, might have a cobbler stretch them a little bit for me.

I love my Vibrams.. they can get a bit smelly true. Considering a Vivo or a Merrell barefoot running shoe for this summer.

Boat shoes such as Sperry Top Sider can be a really good stylish, affordable, and comfy barefoot shoe. I wore mine daily for about 2 years before they wore out (I walk a lot), but I also got caught with them in 3 separate MAJOR rainstorms which hastened their demise.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »
Just go barefoot! I always enjoy the oxymoron (and irony) of buying "barefoot shoes" :-) Sounds like paying for "invisible clothes."

Bare feet never have a problem of getting stinky, moldy, or otherwise gross.

I run in bare feet, period*. Saves me from knee problems, joint problems, and hundreds (thousands in a lifetime?) of dollars in replacing running shoes. At work I wear professional shoes. If I'm out and about going into stores, etc., I wear a $1.00 - $2.00 pair of flip flops in warm weather, or whatever shoes are appropriate for the weather or event.

* Full disclosure: In very cold weather, I run in "aqua socks" along with a pair of regular socks, purchased for $8-10 at Target. They are equivalent to the $100 Vibrams without the funny looking gorilla toes. Keeps my feet warm, offers zero artificial support.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
I can second the Sperry's and Clarks.  I have Sperry Top Siders (wearing them now actually... it's about 80 degrees here in Texas) and Clarks desert boots.  I think I've mentioned them before, but they've both lasted about 5 years so far, and still going strong. 

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2013, 10:59:26 AM »
I think the next 'for life' purchase will be a Blendtech blender.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2013, 05:26:44 PM »
I did wear out an LL Bean backpack.  I bought it with graduation gift money just before I started college.  It saw me through two college degrees and summers as a camp counselor.  Then it took on a part time life as a weekend bag, then resumed full time work as a diape bag to two children (slings over the handle of a stroller so nicely).  I finally replaced it after about 25 years.  Yes, I know it had a lifetime guarantee, but I had the usefulness out of the item, and using the guarantee wouldn't have felt honest. 

Other things in this category:

Good quality furniture
In addition to the aforementioned Kitchenaide mixer and cast iron cookware, good quality Pfaltzgraff and Fiestaware dishes and quality silverware.
As a teacher, I stand up all day long, so good shoes. 

jamccain

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2013, 11:01:55 PM »
For men's dress shoes Allen Edmonds...I am getting a pair, lots of reports of these getting more than ten years.  http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF2143_1_40000000001_-1

Anyone else know men's clothing brands for dress or casual wear?

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2013, 11:37:03 PM »
Just go barefoot! I always enjoy the oxymoron (and irony) of buying "barefoot shoes" :-) Sounds like paying for "invisible clothes."

Shoes are still good for offering protection. I've gotten a microscopic bit of glass embedded in my foot before, resulting in mysterious intermittent acute pain before I found it (barely visible, about the size of a grain of sand) and because it had healed over slightly, I had to use a nail clipper to cut through my own skin to pry it out. I still go barefoot sometimes - but, just sayin'... I'm not going to judge someone for wearing shoes. ;)

naners

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2013, 04:56:24 PM »
I'm living alone for the first time, and I spent a lot of time researching kitchen stuff. I can't claim that I've owned anything for 20+ years, but I did try to find a good balance of quality, durability and price. What I ended up with:

Stainless steel cookware: Calphalon tri-ply and contemporary series. Nice heavy base and they distribute heat well. Pro tip: scour your local TJMax, individual pieces often turn up at 50% off. Maybe they're seconds, but they look the same at the ones in Bed Bath and Beyond to me!

Knives: Wusthof Classic 6in chef knife and paring knife.

Immersion blender: I agonized a lot over this one: the Cuisinart and Kitchenaid ones seem very hit or miss, and they all have plastic gearing. Eventually I went with Bamix. They're actually made in Switzerland and if you buy new, it comes with a 10 year warranty. Plus you can mail it off for repairs (you pay) even out of warranty. They go for around $150 new, but you can find them on ebay for around $60. There are a million different attachments and they can replace a blender for most uses.

Misc kitchen tools: Oxo Goodgrips and a couple of things from Dreamfarm. Yes, they cost a lot more than what you can get from the dollar store, but they're first-rate.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2013, 06:02:30 PM »

Anyone else know men's clothing brands for dress or casual wear?

Brook's Brothers clothes haven't failed me yet. Neither have Clark's desert boots or Sperry Topsiders.

aintnocoffeeshop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »
Here is two things no one has mentioned yet:

Wetterlings Axes - they are top-quality hand-made axes

I've had my Large Hunting Axe ( http://www.wetterlings.se/the/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75%3Alarge-hunting-axe&catid=35&Itemid=57 ) for quite a while. It stays crazy sharp if you buy a cheap Lansky Puck stone. We have a fireplace that we mostly used for just the luxury, but we will start heating the house with it this upcoming winter. Wood heating = sustainable heating & = growing the 'stash. They are expensive (I paid $100 for mine I think), but well worth it if you regularly split wood. You might want to get the large splitting axe if your doing anything larger than 5 inch diameter.

Milwaukee Corded Drills - might as well be a steel hand-tool when it comes to durability

My brother bought one in 1999 when he started his business. He used it almost every single workday for 13 years and then gifted it to me. Still works great! They are not really any more expensive than other brands Home Depot carries.

---
I'm sorry to be a detractor, but I've had a bad experience with Sperry shoes. Mine were gone after 1.5 years. I could have had a defective pair though, as the experience of others seems to suggest.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2013, 03:57:33 AM »
I agree with IP.  I have several Leatherman products and they are certainly BIFL.  As others have said, almost anything from LL Bean is pretty close. 

aintnocoffeeshop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2013, 08:41:36 AM »
BIFL request:

Bike lights - I'm looking for new ones as I'm starting to commute at dusk.

Update: So I jumped the gun a bit. As I was reading the articles in order, I just made it to the bike lights article in my MMM reading list. Problem solved, unless folks have other suggestions.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 11:02:02 AM by aintnocoffeeshop »

Arbor33

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2013, 07:25:04 AM »

Wetterlings Axes - they are top-quality hand-made axes

That being said, Gränsfors Bruks is another great axe brand. I've had their Small Forest Axe for a number of years now. I use it around the house and while camping/hiking and it keeps a nice edge. The company even offers a 20 year warranty on the axes. It's the kind of tool you buy knowing your kids will get some use out of it when you're long gone.

Like the Wetterlings, I paid ~$100 as well. Money well spent IMO.

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2013, 09:29:55 AM »
Does anybody have enough experience with these to know if they are bifl?

Based on my experience with my parents' Kirby I say yes, built for life.  I am a bit of a cleaning freak and put lots of miles on theirs.

Late response, but yes.  When they do break, they can be serviced far beyond a cheap plastic vacuum.  My parents paid a lot for theirs ($1000-2000 IIRC)... in ~1987 or so.  I'm not sure exactly when because I was very little at the time.  They still use it today, and it still works great.  I don't expect my Hoover to last >25 years, that's for sure. 

Not sure the ROI is there on a new one... but used, definitely.

wannabfrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2013, 12:27:20 PM »
Just wanted to say I like this thread a lot and thought it might be of help to summarize/consolidate all the information provided into a single post at the top?

I've definitely fallen prey more times than I want to admit to buying the cheaper item to save a buck and then having to rebuy the higher quality item a couple months later and costing myself more in the end.

I've had great experiences with my CRKT pocket knives.  I've owned many, experienced an issue with just one and their warranty was top notch and took care of it.

davo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
A diesel Mercedes-Benz W123 will probably outlive all of us.  You can run it on vegetable oil. Get a wagon and you can carry as much stuff in it as a pickup truck.

I loved mine! It was my first smart finance/get on the right track decision after college. I saved up to pay off my upside down, 0% down, $400 car payment VW rabbit. Then bought a late 70s Mercedes-Benz W123. Unfortunately after having it six months I ran into a storm drain, jamming 2nd gear and then reverse together in the manual transmission. I was unable to find a reasonable replacement transmission, and moved on. Other than my bad driving that car was a tank!

Nyarlathotep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2013, 08:45:47 PM »

Doc Martens are not quite BFL, but I have a 20-year-old pair of Air Wears in great condition.
Danskos seem to be holding up well, too.

I have owned a few pairs of Doc Martens and will agree not quite for life but I have had them last me for four to five years of wearing the every day.  Also completely unrelated to Doc Martens but I'll third or forth the idea of Kirby vacuums are pretty legit.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2013, 07:58:07 AM »
We've gone through a couple of Wamsutta cotton sheets. The fitted sheets eventually rip. They are $25-30 apiece.

I was searching for a better brand, and it turns out that back in the day, at least in France, couples would get a set of heirloom 100% linen sheets as a wedding gift, and they would last two or three generations.

The best online source I found for linen sheets, aside from hit-or-miss ebay, is Rough Linen. These are made-in-California luxury sheets, in European style, meaning there is one large flat sheet for the bottom instead of a fitted, no top sheet, and a duvet. One queen sheet costs $154. I can buy 9 of Ikea's most expensive fitted sheets for that price, and altogether they'd probably last a decade or two, compared to a potential lifetime for a linen sheet.

I might do better by buying bed sheet linen by the yard and making my own. With this fabric, it would be about $60 for the same size sheet. I ordered swatches to compare.

Does anyone have 100% linen sheets? Are they worth the expense? Any alternate recommendations?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
I don't know if I'd count on the linen lasting that much longer. I spent the better part of an hour today mending a tear in a linen jacket -- it wears and weakens, especially if you launder it regularly.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
Thanks. I'm having a tough time separating the facts from the marketing. Wikipedia has this to say about linen.

It is a very durable, strong fabric, and one of the few that are stronger wet than dry. The fibers do not stretch and are resistant to damage from abrasion. However, because linen fibers have a very low elasticity, the fabric will eventually break if it is folded and ironed at the same place repeatedly.

From a discussion of paint canvas material:

In this case (painting support) cotton has one superior characteristic over linen--its lower cost--and the two cloths are equal in most other relevant characteristics. But if you're buying an heirloom tablecloth, go for the linen--it'll be cheaper in the long run.

It sounds like linen might be better for linens than cotton, but it's not a clear enough difference to justify the cost.

I think I'll try these Garnet Hill percale cotton sheets, unless someone has a better recommendation. If they don't last, then maybe I'll try linen.

Dee 72013

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2013, 01:33:35 PM »
My husband also loves Redwing boots and should be their spokesperson, he's been buying them now for over 25 years. He also loves Craftsman tools, the Leatherman Multitool and Maglight flashlights also. We have a Kirby vacuum, at the time I was so mad at my husband for purchasing the vacuum but other than bags, belts and one new brush roller it's been going strong for over 20 yrs. and best purchase we made.
For bedding we tend to buy three sheets sets to match each comforter we have, we don't wash our comforter as often and we can have the same bedding this way for years.
Pyrex bowls, baking sets and Oneida silverware also lasts for life.

Mark B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2013, 10:33:52 PM »
Cast-iron cookware. Some of my pans are older than me (found at flea markets, thrift stores, etc.), and all of them will outlast me with proper care. For stuff I find used, I scrub the hell out of the exterior with Bar Keeper's Friend and the interior with Bon Ami and then re-season in the oven with oil.

Yes!  Cast iron is the way to go, they cook evenly and aren't as hard to clean as you might think--mustachecat got it exactly right.  They also work with induction cooktops, which are amazing.

Mark B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2013, 10:44:42 PM »
Ok, here's one...I made a commitment to cook 95% of my food, and I didn't have a food processor.  I basically stole a Kitchenaid Pro Line from Craigslist, and this thing is off the hook!  I practically need a dolly to carry it around (ok not really but it's heavy and solid).  It's built like a friggin' tank!  Plus, the box of attachments I got is as big as a lot of other food processors, LOL.  It can do anything, and it's really quiet.  I'm confident that some day my daughter will be handing it down to my future theoretical granddaughter. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 11:10:34 PM by Mark B »

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2013, 06:43:57 PM »
  I've got an itch for a Vita-Mix, but those suckers are $500.  Just can't justify that expense.

Vitamix is worth it and easy can usually be found used for around $300.

I prefer my Blendtec, we use the crap out of that thing and it just keeps on blending.  Plus, I like that it fits under my cabinets.  The Vitamix is too tall.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2013, 08:09:19 PM »
Anyone have a suggestion for a sturdy glass measuring cup (with a handle) that can go through the dishwasher and microwave repeatedly without the markings washing off? We have 2 - one from Pyrex and one Anchor Hocking, and the markings washed off both! Anchor Hocking apparently used to make an embossed markings measuring cup with a handle but when I checked Amazon it was discontinued and had poor reviews. I think their manufacturing has gone downhill.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2013, 08:16:25 PM »
Anyone have a suggestion for a sturdy glass measuring cup (with a handle) that can go through the dishwasher and microwave repeatedly without the markings washing off? We have 2 - one from Pyrex and one Anchor Hocking, and the markings washed off both! Anchor Hocking apparently used to make an embossed markings measuring cup with a handle but when I checked Amazon it was discontinued and had poor reviews. I think their manufacturing has gone downhill.

My mom has one from Pampered Chef that has the markings molded into the glass. She's had it as long as I remember so it seems to be holding up well.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2013, 08:26:09 PM »
I think Tupperware should be on the list!

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2013, 09:42:22 PM »
I would say my Bosch mixer/food processor is 10 years old and going strong. My moms is 30 years old and still fantastic.

We got an Airscape 1.7 WHF (whole house fan) and it is amazing. Trouble free operation after several years and uses the power of two light bulbs. No AC at night, just cool evening breezes! 

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2013, 06:39:42 AM »

Silly question, but why dishwasher safe? My parents learned in the early 80s that the markings washed off, so I've been hand washing my measuring cups for my entire life. My current pyrex measuring cups look brand new but are almost 10 years old. Just rinse the cup when you are done using it and then make sure you wash it first (while the water is cleanest). I'm always amazed at how easily pyrex cups and cookware washes.

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2013, 07:29:01 AM »

My mom has one from Pampered Chef that has the markings molded into the glass. She's had it as long as I remember so it seems to be holding up well.

+1

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2013, 10:44:58 AM »

Other option: etch your own

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2013, 08:42:56 PM »
We've gone through a couple of Wamsutta cotton sheets. The fitted sheets eventually rip. They are $25-30 apiece.

As luck would have it, my fitted sheet (purchased from a discount store, I have no idea what brand) ripped last week, and I looked at the ratings on Consumer Reports. I purchased fitted and flat pima percale sheets from L.L. Bean to replace the old ones. They weren't the absolutely highest rated sheets, but L.L. Bean has a very generous return policy. I think my old sheets lasted 5+ years and I'll be disappointed if the Bean sheets don't last longer.

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2013, 04:01:38 PM »
Another vote for a Kitchenaide mixer. 

And a Bialetti espresso maker.  I have had mine for 15 years and it is still going strong.  I have replaced the gasket a number of times, but those are quite cheap. 

Now if someone could make a vacuum that lasts, I would buy one.  I seem to burn up a vacuum every 3 years.

For whatever it's worth, I have my grandmother's old Hoover Concept II upright, and it still works great, including the little detachable "dust-buster" type hand vacuum. I think she bought it some time in the early 1980's. She died in 1990. (And it's a Hoover, so you can buy new bags anywhere.)

I'm not exactly a clean freak, though, so it doesn't really get that much use.

Mark B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2013, 05:29:12 PM »
Ooooh, MagLites are definitely worthy of this list too. Really practical when operating in tight corners, you can just, ermm, stick it in your mouth and have both hands free. I leave the king-size model in my glove box, it doubles as a "leave-me-alone" stick should I become stranded in a questionable neighborhood.

I always thought some sort of a mouthpiece, complete with drool catching tray, should be included with the smaller MagLites.

mm31

• Stubble
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2013, 12:27:08 AM »
I've become a fan of glass jars. You can drink, can and macerate various things in them.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »
Pyrex & Fiestaware. I have a full set of fiestaware dishes, and I love them because they can go directly from freezer to oven to fridge, etc. It's especially handy since we don't have a microwave. And pyrex. PYREX.

Oh, and Nikon F 35mm cameras. I bought mine used for $50, they were literally built to withstand war conditions.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:15:27 AM by Elaine »

some1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2013, 08:48:01 AM »
Solid wood furniture. Lasts even longer than one lifetime. Good thing is, even if it get's a couple of scratches, it still looks great.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2013, 02:18:40 PM »
Here is two things no one has mentioned yet:

Milwaukee Corded Drills - might as well be a steel hand-tool when it comes to durability

My brother bought one in 1999 when he started his business. He used it almost every single workday for 13 years and then gifted it to me. Still works great! They are not really any more expensive than other brands Home Depot carries.

I have an old (probably 20 year old) black and decker corded drill that is still kicking.  I have a fancier Hitachi one now, but I've given up on cordless drills.  The batteries die too quickly and they're expensive.  (I've owned all kinds of brands)  I'm sticking with the corded drills and a good extension cord!