Author Topic: Boxed Wine  (Read 4255 times)

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
Boxed Wine
« on: August 04, 2020, 10:15:10 AM »
We mostly drink Italian wines (chianti, aglianico, montepulciano di abruzzo) in the $10-$15 a bottle range. I've tried to find a boxed wine that we could switch too, but all of the ones I've tried (Bota, Black box) are far too sweet for my tastes.

Any recommendations for dry red boxed wines?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 03:39:04 PM by Watchmaker »

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Boxed Wine
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 02:32:54 PM »
I'm boosting my own necro-post because I'd still really love to find a dry boxed red.

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 02:36:34 PM »
As far as reds, I think the Malbecs might be the driest of the boxed, I believe I've had both Bota and Black box Malbecs........have you tried any of those?

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 02:37:31 PM »
There's a malbec (Argentina) called Maipe that's pretty decent, IIRC. It's been a while since I've had it, though, so my memory might be off.

Good luck!

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 03:29:00 PM »
Thanks! I don't think I've tried any boxed Malbecs. I'm not sure I've ever had a Malbec at all, actually; I don't really know much about wine except in the tiny little corner I've stuck to.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 06:33:29 PM by Watchmaker »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 03:34:25 PM »
The one I am preferring right now is Black Box Cabernet.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 03:41:12 PM »
The one I am preferring right now is Black Box Cabernet.

I have tried that one. I though the flavor was good, but it was too sweet for my tastes. Sweet wines give me bad heartburn, so it isn't really something I can live with.

RedefinedHappiness

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 04:35:57 PM »
I'm a fan of the Bota Cabernet that was aged in bourbon barrels. Looking forward to hearing others favorites as I like trying different kinds occasionally

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 05:02:46 PM »
I was always a big fan of the Trader Joe's box wine (I think called "Block), however, it's been at least five years since I've had it.

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 08:25:41 PM »
Do you like Rose? I recently purchased a box of La Vieille Ferme Rose and it is quite good, one of the best boxed wines I’ve had. Not sweet or cloying, which I also don’t like. This is the first I’ve had from them but I will definitely be trying their boxed red or white next.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 08:42:25 PM »
Just got turned onto boxed wines and discovered Franzia dark red blend and Vella Chardonnay. both are dryer side wines, both lower cost at places like Total Wine.

I love Aldi's Winking Owl Chardonnay and Shriaz too, but the Total Wine prices beat them easily.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 03:13:43 PM »
I've had Franzia Merlot in a box. It seemed medium dry to me. I wouldn't call it sweet. Worth a try?

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2022, 01:26:01 PM »
I’m with you on preferring dryer wines over the really sweet flavor most cheaper wines have. I’ve had luck with decanting cheap wine an hour before I intend to drink it. It won’t completely transform wine, but if you’ve found a box wine that is close to what you want, it will take a little bit of the sweetness away.

I usually just pour a glass or two then set them out of the way somewhere while I prepare my meal.

TwoCommas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2022, 08:23:17 AM »
The Bota Nighthawk (I think that's what it was called) Malbec was pretty decent.  The Bota Cab Sauv was a bit too 'young', i.e. fruity for my taste.

Currently working on a box from Costco of Kirkland Cab Sauv that might be my favorite.

I've been mixing in boxed wine with the normal consumption of CA reds in the winerack for the past couple of months. Looking forward to finding some of the suggestions from above.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2022, 08:31:11 AM »
I'm glad this thread got revived as I'm still very interested in finding a good option. I drove past a Trader Joe's and a Total Wine yesterday, I should have stopped to pick some of these up. I'm particularly intrigued by the two suggestions for Franzia-- I had the notion that all Franzia wines would be too sweet, so I haven't really tested them out.

I've had the La Vieille Ferme Rosé in a bottle (just last week, most recently) and I like it (though I'd prefer it drier). It would be interesting to know if the box and the bottle taste the same, but we don't have the same problem finishing off a bottle of rosé as we do with red so it is a less pressing issue.

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2022, 04:31:46 PM »
when I think of boxed wine I often think of a woman at our church many years ago.  She’d leave about 20 boxes of Franzia in her office all the time “for the festival”.  At least one was always “secretly” open.

The best boxed wine I have had is called Hi Jinx. https://www.hijinxcellars.com/

NWGriot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2022, 11:04:41 AM »
There are more and more good boxed wines coming from Europe these days. Those will be the drier ones. The wine importing business is paradoxically very local, so what's available in your state will be different than what's available in the neighboring state, or even the neighboring city. Find a small independent wine shop and they'll be able to help you find a good boxed wine that fits your taste.

One specific recommendation that should be available in all the West Coast states is Vignes de Lumieres. They do Cotes du Rhone red, white and rose. Those are all good wines, and pricing should be around $25 a box, a buck more for the red. Any decent indie shop will be glad to order it for you if they don't carry it already.