Author Topic: Bill Maher  (Read 13404 times)

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
Bill Maher
« on: March 25, 2016, 03:39:14 PM »
I have a love hate viewership experience with this guy. Anyone else watch?

On the 3/19 show I Loved his everyone gets a trophy segment but hate his religious elitist crap in general. I still can't explain why I watch him. Maybe because like it or not he appears to say what he actually thinks and doesn't smile and tell you what you want to hear. Any thoughts?

ransom132

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Bill Maher
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 03:43:03 PM »
I like his show, doesn't mean however I agree with everything he says, but he does make good points at time. I prefer however John Oliver, he comes up with better solid facts. I loved Oliver's long segment on Donald Trump.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 03:46:21 PM »
I enjoy Bill Maher, but we cancelled HBO to save money, so we don't get his show anymore. :/

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 04:27:09 PM »
I enjoy Bill Maher, but we cancelled HBO to save money, so we don't get his show anymore. :/

I go back and forth with this all the time. I watch HBO, AMC, SYFY, and CNBC. That's it. If I could find a way to just own those I would.

I try to find ways to save money while keeping the the things I like. It's not easy. I would probably cut the cord and get HBO Now, buy Walking Dead episodes, and buy the Expanse episodes and podcast CNBC.The down side of cord cutting is you miss specials like Childhoods End.

My wife loves Cable (Direct TV)She has probably 10 shows. It seems like she is always watching Jane the Virgin when the kids are in bed and I'm getting ready for work
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:20:51 PM by mrpercentage »

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 07:31:11 PM »

he has a podcast

I love him, don't always agree but believe he is wicked smart and funny.  I'd vote for him over a certain clown.  I also have a strange crush on him, smart and funny gets me every time, lol

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 10:33:25 PM »

On the 3/19 show I Loved his everyone gets a trophy segment but hate his religious elitist crap in general. I still can't explain why I watch him. Maybe because like it or not he appears to say what he actually thinks and doesn't smile and tell you what you want to hear. Any thoughts?

I agree with about 90% of his positions, which I obtained from the Wikipedia article about him. What you call “religious elitist crap” I call a rational lack of delusion. But I have no desire to watch his show.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 11:27:46 PM »
I watch Real Time occasionally. Mainly for the panel discussion.

I like that he tries to have at least one conservative on the panel and Democrats/liberals aren't off limits if they do stupid shit. I think it's way more fair than what you get from Fox or MSNBC.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 02:04:19 AM »

I agree with about 90% of his positions, which I obtained from the Wikipedia article about him. What you call “religious elitist crap” I call a rational lack of delusion. But I have no desire to watch his show.

I am okay with atheists. I don't like it when people aggressively push their ideology. When it comes to religion Bill is haughty.

He judges me for something that has zero impact on his life. Twisted people will twist any ideology to justify their base nature. Just look at Corporate Darwinism 

Nobody is perfect but I suspect I would really like him if not for this one flaw. Everyone has couple but his is in your face. I still watch him and was curious if there was anyone else who felt the same way

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 07:59:07 AM »
I agree with him about religion in so far as this: That religion is a collection of ideas and practices, and we shouldn't avoid criticizing those ideas/practices because they are religious. That said, I think sometimes he makes too much of a caricature of the things he criticizing. But then again, he is a comedian.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 08:17:32 AM »
I'm an atheist and loved religulous, however I can't watch his show his monologues are way to preachy and far too long. He cuts people off all the time, no different than Bill O'Reilly in that sense.

I wish Christopher Hitchens had had a show like this, I'm not a hawk but it would have been pretty entertaining I think.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 09:05:55 AM »
I love his religious stuff. Anybody who thinks organized religion doesn't impact atheists in a huge way must live in a cave.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 05:40:43 PM »
I love his religious stuff. Anybody who thinks organized religion doesn't impact atheists in a huge way must live in a cave.

Organized anything has an impact on your life. Anyone who lobbies has an impact on your life. My belief in Christ has zero impact on your life. Jackasses that judge other people ignoring what Christ said in the sermon on the mount are who impose their will on you. Its the human holier than thou that imposes on you. It's not the judge not lest ye be judged as ye have judged. Just like the problem with terrorism is the support of nations and policies that really piss people off in those counties and not Islam itself

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 05:52:55 PM »
He is like nails on a chalkboard to me, and I'm not sure why.  Politically we're relatively aligned, I think.   I'm not particularly religious, but he comes off a bit strong on that front.  He also just seems like someone who always knows better than everyone else, somehow.

It's an irrational dislike, mostly. 

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 09:46:39 AM »
I'm a Christian and I love Bill Maher.  His anti-religion jokes don't really bother me, and his takes on the issues of organized religion have merit.
I listen to the podcast since I don't have HBO. Used to love Politically Incorrect back in the day as well.

He's not afraid to bring even the farthest right wingers on the show and I strongly disagree with a previous poster who says he interrupts them all the time. He gives everyone a chance to speak. If anything he waits too long to step in sometimes when the panel keeps interrupting and trying to talk over each other.

I only wish it were a two hour show and he didn't take so many weeks off.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 10:49:51 AM »
I only tried watching the show twice and it seemed he always had the last word (it's his show I get it) not just at the end of the show but after every speaker on every topic. It comes off way to Bill O'Reillyesque just feeding his followers and giving a sermon. I noticed him cutting people off, probably not as bad as O'Reilly that's an exaggeration but enough to be annoying.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »
MMM = similarities with Bill Maher. Coincidence? I think not!

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 07:28:31 PM »
MMM = similarities with Bill Maher. Coincidence? I think not!

+1

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 03:41:38 AM »
Just watched Only the Dead See the End of War. That documentary was show cased on Real Time. I give it a Holy Shit review and two scoops of reality. I think anyone who thinks we should hang out in the Middle East needs to watch this film
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 04:12:44 AM by mrpercentage »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 07:19:05 AM »

I used to watch Bill Maher's Politically Incorrect when I was in high school.  It was a pretty cool show, and I generally liked what he did.

I've only caught some of his more recent stuff, but it seems to have taken on a bit more of a bitter edge than before and is a little off-putting.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 12:57:29 PM »
Bill's generally right about stuff. But he is completely wacky wrong on a few things. Like the guy who "cured AIDS" he had on the show, his aversion to vaccines, and trying to say that Muslims are worse than Christians (Christians kill a lot of people too, and feel justified in doing it--the tactics are usually different, but not always).

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 06:19:35 PM »
He's a bit smug and haughty, but pretty intelligent. I have and would watch him over any other political commentator.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 09:18:21 AM »
He's a bit smug and haughty, but pretty intelligent. I have and would watch him over any other political commentator.

Yeah. Except I think Cenk Uygur is much more insightful. Also occasionally smug and angry. But the anger is typically justified.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheYoungTurks

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 09:49:48 AM »
I'm pretty left, but the smugness is really not doing us any favors.  Thanks to the poster above who pointed that out about Maher, I think that is the big thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth about him.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 10:23:09 PM »
I still watch Maher and Joel Osteen. Color me weird if you want but I wont lie about it.

Just renewed my Direct TV for one year-- they took $47 off my bill each month. Thats a DVR with most channels and HBO for $77 a month (half price on HBO for six months). I ditched Netflix. Im going to invest the savings.

Looks like I will be watching Maher for a while. His political discussions are good but I want to change the channel on his anti-religion rants. I really don't understand why he is so pro war in the middle east either. I think he should go hang out there for a while since he expects our troops to.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2016, 01:17:55 PM »
Maher's stance is that the Middle East should police itself and that Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Iran, et al should be the ones taking out ISIS. He is not for sending or keeping troops over there from what I have heard, and I've listened to the podcast of every show he's done for the past few years.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2016, 03:01:28 PM »
Really. The last three episodes he seems very intent on engaging ISIS. Maybe his anti-religion rants have given the impression that he is more pro intervention than he really is. His statement that Bono was dreaming if he thought art and comedy could make a difference implied a Machiavellian tint to his personal philosophy. I'm a newer viewer so I could be wrong
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:07:29 PM by mrpercentage »

MarioMario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 07:22:17 PM »
My wife likes the show.  And while I often think he has salient points in his segments he just had no charisma.  I don't enjoy watching him.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 07:56:46 PM »
He had a decent interview with Bernie last night. Feel the Burn!

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2016, 08:59:22 PM »

I love his atheism I hate basically everything else.

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2016, 09:43:42 PM »
I agree with Bill M. on 3 major positions:

His views on Islam.
He's an atheist.
And he's a vegan.

My big disagreement: I think Trump would make a better leader than Clinton. 

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2016, 10:07:59 PM »
Im not sure why a self proclaimed athiest is a big thing. That fits the description of about 90% of teenagers. Same mentality too: "I got it all figured out. I don't need to hear anything you have to say because its bullshit and doesn't have anything to do with what I want."

Anyways, I still like him for some reason. I like his stance on climate change, health care (except Obama Care), and he seems to have intellectual honesty. I also like his filthy humor. I think he has had some of the best coverage of the presidential race. He just had Johnson on, had Bernie on, and invited Trump on but he is just too much of a "whiny little bitch" to do it

He has pretty good guests. He just had Andrew on from Squawk Box-- good man.

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2016, 12:11:51 AM »
Im not sure why a self proclaimed athiest is a big thing. That fits the description of about 90% of teenagers. Same mentality too: "I got it all figured out. I don't need to hear anything you have to say because its bullshit and doesn't have anything to do with what I want."

Anyways, I still like him for some reason. I like his stance on climate change, health care (except Obama Care), and he seems to have intellectual honesty. I also like his filthy humor. I think he has had some of the best coverage of the presidential race. He just had Johnson on, had Bernie on, and invited Trump on but he is just too much of a "whiny little bitch" to do it

He has pretty good guests. He just had Andrew on from Squawk Box-- good man.

The reason why a public speaking atheist figure is a big deal is because....

I believe in two states it's still illegal to hold office as a atheist. Not that it would be enforced. it's a big deal because despite the number of congressmen and presidents we have not but I THINK 1... just 1! Is a atheist. Not to mention the statistics on this don't add up if my numbers are current at least 13% of them should be. That says a lot about my country as a whole. Your response to that being the attitude of a teenager when as in recent memory of the past two weeks we have had religious motivated bombings and shooting deaths totaling in the 100's speaks volume of your position. Assuming I am understanding your text correctly. It's easy to get wires crossed via forum.

So basically the non-religious person is a extremely under represented minority in the states. Also in the rest of the world.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2016, 06:24:08 AM »

Atheism has a long and well argued history, going at least as far back as Epicurus.  While there are certainly some unreasonable atheists who refuse to listen to someone else because of his/her beliefs, this is not indicative of the atheistic position.  The same can be said of many religious followers.

The norm in most of the world is to follow a religion.  Atheism is a more difficult path to follow simply because it involves bucking the norm.  It is wrong to try to ascribe lack of consideration to someone who is an atheist - just as it would be wrong to claim that everyone who follows a religion is a mindless sheep obeying what he/she is told.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2016, 09:25:22 AM »
I was using a caricature. I don't think athiest have the mentality of teenagers (although I'm sure some do). The point is the regular church going American is about the same percentage of the population as the atheist. Don't get believers mixed up with religion as an institution. To illustrate my point

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2016, 09:10:05 PM »
I was using a caricature. I don't think athiest have the mentality of teenagers (although I'm sure some do). The point is the regular church going American is about the same percentage of the population as the atheist. Don't get believers mixed up with religion as an institution. To illustrate my point

Got cha....

MarioMario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2016, 01:00:47 PM »
My wife likes Maher; frequently listening to him while putting clothes away. 

While I often agree with his sentiments and his guests I can stand listening to him.

He has no charisma, is preachy and really turns me off.

giggles

• Stubble
    • Kiva - Change the world with a $25 loan
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2016, 02:05:22 PM »
You can download the audio for Real Time from iTunes for FREE as a podcast.  Love it!