Author Topic: best ice cream for the money?  (Read 445 times)

uniwelder

• Bristles
best ice cream for the money?
« on: June 09, 2021, 09:30:18 AM »
I was just enjoying a spoonful of ice cream and wondered what the mmm group's opinions were.  A quick search didn't bring up any ice cream (store bought) threads, though it must exist.  I don't like gums and stabilizers--- I prefer it 'crisp', where it goes from solid to liquid without much mushy in between.  Years ago, it was Breyers, then as they changed the recipe, Turkey Hill all natural, and now recently discovered Aldi brand super premium.

The Aldi super premium is everything I've been seeking--- cheap ($4 for 1.5 quart container), no gums, only a few ingredients (cream, milk, sugar, egg, cocoa), and dense (2/3 cup serving is 136 grams).

For other snobbish types out there, what's your favorite ice cream for the money?

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
Re: best ice cream for the money?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 10:45:45 AM »
Homemade

We bought an ice cream maker years ago, and I make a few gallons every year. I know exactly what goes into it, I get to try multiple new flavors every year, and it's way better than anything I can buy.

v8rx7guy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 10:50:23 AM »
Tillamook for me on the west coast

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 12:50:34 PM »
We like the homemade helado from a local Mexican place. Creamier and denser than any commercial brand we've tried, cheap and supports a small business.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 01:16:00 PM »
We don't eat a ton of ice cream, but I like Kawartha Dairy as decent quality not overly expensive stuff.

chemistk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 01:26:33 PM »
We rarely buy ice cream from the store, but we usually go with Turkey Hill.

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 01:42:00 PM »
We rarely buy the larger containers of ice cream. Usually Talenti gelato as a treat when on sale with the added bonus that the containers can be repurposed after consumption.

uniwelder

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 05:31:25 PM »
Homemade

We bought an ice cream maker years ago, and I make a few gallons every year. I know exactly what goes into it, I get to try multiple new flavors every year, and it's way better than anything I can buy.

Have you ever calculated the cost of a batch versus store brand?  I suppose a lot depends on the ratio of cream and fruit/nuts/chocolate added in.  What kind of ice cream maker is it?

Glad you like your homemade mix.  We borrowed a friend's machine a few times, but I suppose we were still on the learning curve before deciding (giving up) it wasn't worth the hassle for the results we attained.

uniwelder

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 05:32:25 PM »
We like the homemade helado from a local Mexican place. Creamier and denser than any commercial brand we've tried, cheap and supports a small business.

Sounds delicious!

iluvzbeach

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 05:40:08 PM »
We rarely buy the larger containers of ice cream. Usually Talenti gelato as a treat when on sale with the added bonus that the containers can be repurposed after consumption.

We really like the Talenti gelato as well and the nice, reusable containers are an added bonus.

I recently tried a banana’s foster flavor (from an L.A. based ice cream company, whose name escapes me) that was out of this world.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 06:09:52 AM »
Homemade

Have you ever calculated the cost of a batch versus store brand?  I suppose a lot depends on the ratio of cream and fruit/nuts/chocolate added in.  What kind of ice cream maker is it?

Glad you like your homemade mix.  We borrowed a friend's machine a few times, but I suppose we were still on the learning curve before deciding (giving up) it wasn't worth the hassle for the results we attained.

Assuming the Instacart prices match the prices in store, this is what our last batch cost:

Strawberries: $2.45
Sugar: $0.27
Heavy cream: $1.75
Whole milk: $0.20
Vanilla extract: $0.15
Salt: negligible
Total: $4.82

That's for about two quarts.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 07:42:11 AM »
Homemade is my preference too.

My husband makes a fabulous coffee gelato (we sub regular whole milk as the heavy cream is too rich) and lemon sorbet. The strawberry ice cream seems to require cream to be creamy but most others are good with whole milk. Much cheaper than store bought and nothing weird in it. If you don't want to invest in a good ice cream maker try indian ice cream recipes. They are super dense and creamy and don't require an ice cream maker.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 07:51:18 AM »
Coaticook is the best ice cream in Quebec. But I will eat almost any ice cream as long as it's made with real cream - none of that "frozen dessert" crap.

uniwelder

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 09:21:05 AM »
Homemade is tempting to try again.  I looked up Indian ice cream recipes--- Kulfi sounds easy--- whip some cream and add sweetened condensed milk.