Author Topic: Best electric vehicles in 2022?  (Read 3998 times)

wintertell

• Bristles
Best electric vehicles in 2022?
« on: March 11, 2022, 07:40:12 AM »
I am very sad that I got in a rainy crash yesterday where I didn't slam on brakes fast enough for the car in front of me. My 2013 Hyundai Elantra is now a total loss.

We're trying to figure out to what to replace it with. We will use the insurance funds from the car for a down payment but the rest will have to be taken out as a car loan (A home emergency last year wiped our emergency fund).

So, what to get in this market?
What electronic cars are affordable? Also considering whether to get a better car or an older crossover SUV.

Crossover SUVs aren't necessary, but I feel safer in the cars that drive higher up. My car also served us just fine.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 07:59:04 AM by wintertell »

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Best electric vehicles in 2022?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 07:42:21 AM »
I have a Hyundai Kona EV and love it.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 09:31:59 AM »
Cheapest options:
Chevy Bolt (fire stigma)
Hyundai Kona EV (this is probably the best "affordable" option, but it is a little small)
Nissan LEAF (passive battery thermal management...)

Good value:
VW ID.4
Kia EV6/Hyundai Ioniq 5 (if you can find them without markup)

Additional contenders:
Polestar 2/Volvo C40 Recharge/Volvo XC40 Recharge
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Tesla Model 3/Y
Audi Q4 e-tron
Kia Niro EV

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 09:39:57 AM »
Great list RWD. Hoping to test drive an ID.4 this weekend but each time we have found one nearby it’s gone by the time we can find a day off to go there

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 10:40:42 AM »
Jeremy (Go Curry Cracker) recently bought an ID4

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 10:44:14 AM »
Jeremy (Go Curry Cracker) recently bought an ID4

The more I read and hear about the ID.4, the more I like it.  Except it's availability.

A mom

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2022, 10:48:27 AM »
Consumer Reports really likes the Kira Niro EV

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2022, 11:27:46 AM »
The Kia Niro EV is pretty good. But the pricing has never been updated relative to the competition. It was $38.5k for the 2019 model and now $40k for the 2022 model. For comparison, the ID.4 is only $770 more expensive and a much better vehicle overall (and built from the ground up to be an EV). One of the biggest differences between a Niro EV and the newer competition is the charge rate. Niro EV is capped at 77 kW while the EV6/Ioniq 5 will break 220 kW. The ID.4 will charge at up to 135 kW.

The Niro EV shares its powertrain/battery with the much much cheaper Hyundai Kona EV. Unlike the Niro EV, the Kona EV has had its price reduced to stay competitive. Which means it's now $6k cheaper than the Niro EV.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 12:00:15 PM »
If you have no emergency fund I would tell you not to buy an EV right now, unless you are good with the limitations presented by one of the inexpensive ones, and probably not even then. This is "a nice used, older model" car time, even though that market sucks, it is still cheaper than the EVs and will do the things you need a car to do.

Don't get me wrong, the MME is an amazing vehicle, but it is not inexpensive. Presumably ditto the competition which, as far as I can see, are about the same cost and about the same quality level.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2022, 12:06:20 PM »
The Kia Niro EV is pretty good. But the pricing has never been updated relative to the competition. It was $38.5k for the 2019 model and now $40k for the 2022 model. For comparison, the ID.4 is only $770 more expensive and a much better vehicle overall (and built from the ground up to be an EV). One of the biggest differences between a Niro EV and the newer competition is the charge rate. Niro EV is capped at 77 kW while the EV6/Ioniq 5 will break 220 kW. The ID.4 will charge at up to 135 kW.

The Niro EV shares its powertrain/battery with the much much cheaper Hyundai Kona EV. Unlike the Niro EV, the Kona EV has had its price reduced to stay competitive. Which means it's now $6k cheaper than the Niro EV.

The Kia EV6 is out now, how does that compare to the niro or ID.4?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2022, 01:44:29 PM »

The Kia EV6 is out now, how does that compare to the niro or ID.4?
The EV6 starts at $40,900, though that is for the smaller battery and lower power motor version (Light) which I'm not sure is even available in the US yet. Even with the smaller battery, range is on par with the Niro EV (but you'll spend roughly a third as much time at rapid chargers). If you can get this version it's quite a good value, even though it has less range than the ID.4.

More realistically the base model EV6 that is available today is the bigger battery Wind which starts at $47k. This is a good bit of a jump in price over the ID.4, and that's before any potential markups. Though there are quite a few advantages the EV6 has over the ID.4. A little more power, faster charging (save ~10 minutes per stop), longer range (at least according to the EPA), better handling. The ID.4 has more cargo space (30.3 cu ft vs. 24.4 cu ft). The Niro EV only has 18.5 cu ft of cargo space and less passenger space than the ID.4 or EV6. Although it looks small in pictures, the EV6 is actually the longest of the three (~184.5 inches vs. 180.5 ID.4 vs. 172 Niro).

The EV6 is probably worth the premium over the ID.4 as long as you value road trips and driving dynamics over pure utility. The Niro EV is really only worth considering if availability/price gouging is an issue for the more desirable models. But even then you'd want to make sure a Kona EV doesn't work for you first.

I also shouldn't talk about the EV6 without also mentioning the Hyundai Ioniq 5. The Ioniq 5 shares its platform with the EV6 and starts a little cheaper $43.7k. It is slightly less aerodynamic so it has fractionally less range but a bit more cargo space (27.2 cu ft). Suspension is supposed to be tuned a bit more for comfort than pure handling. Interior is more spartan which could be both good or bad, depending on your preferences.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2022, 02:06:30 PM »
All the EVs I mentioned before are eligible for the $7.5k Federal credit (with the exception of Chevy and Tesla), so keep that in mind when comparing with used options.

The current best dollar per range is a used Chevy Bolt. They have quite a stigma now with the whole catching on fire thing that's probably been severely overblown. GM is fixing the issue for free so definitely worth considering now. Should be options under $20k. Range of 238 miles, 50 kW charging speed, attractive hatchback form factor.

Also on the used market you can find the Hyundai Ioniq Electric (not to be confused with the Ioniq 5) which has 170 miles of range (for 2020+ model years). It's a liftback style hatchback that is extremely efficient and can be found for $25k +/-. Charge speed is also pretty slow though at 50 kW.

If range isn't a big factor at all you can look at the 2017+ Volkswagen e-Golf which is rated for 125 miles. 40 kW charging. Maybe a little easier to find under $25k than the Ioniq. Still unlikely to be cheaper than the Bolt though.

You can also find used EVs around $10k +/- (e.g. Leaf, Fiat 500e, Focus Electric, Spark EV) which can be fine as long as you don't need the range that newer EVs offer. Note that some of these don't even have the option for DC fast charging which basically takes road tripping off the table entirely.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2022, 07:10:33 PM »
I have an ID4 and like it. Bought it in June of last year and haven’t had any issues. It accelerates reasonably well, surprisingly. Range is as advertised, and has good cargo space.

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2022, 09:25:21 PM »
Update: Spent a lot of time researching this stuff today, and the inventory stock just isn't available close to me. Anything I was interested in was 200- 400 miles away and selling for 5-6k above MSRP negative savings from the federal tax credit. 

We're looking in the 20k-30k range (would love for it to be lower, but I would be buying a car just as old as I had, without any of the newer safety features). This prices out electric cars because of the markup over the MSRP I'm seeing anywhere within a 2-3 hr driving distance.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 05:40:50 PM »
Update: Spent a lot of time researching this stuff today, and the inventory stock just isn't available close to me. Anything I was interested in was 200- 400 miles away and selling for 5-6k above MSRP negative savings from the federal tax credit. 

We're looking in the 20k-30k range (would love for it to be lower, but I would be buying a car just as old as I had, without any of the newer safety features). This prices out electric cars because of the markup over the MSRP I'm seeing anywhere within a 2-3 hr driving distance.

CarMax may ship things like to a closer location. I was checking to see if we could get  a used Model 3 but decided against it. They were willing to ship for free or a nominal fee. Mostly didn’t because used cars were going for same as new.

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2022, 12:27:26 PM »
If you have no emergency fund I would tell you not to buy an EV right now, unless you are good with the limitations presented by one of the inexpensive ones, and probably not even then. This is "a nice used, older model" car time, even though that market sucks, it is still cheaper than the EVs and will do the things you need a car to do.

Don't get me wrong, the MME is an amazing vehicle, but it is not inexpensive. Presumably ditto the competition which, as far as I can see, are about the same cost and about the same quality level.

+1 

If you don't have an emergency fund, I'd be looking for a reliable used car I could buy for the price of the insurance settlement.  You can always upgrade to the better car/SUV/EV after you've built your emergency fund back up, and the car market might look better for buyers then. 

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2022, 10:34:12 PM »
Thanks all - car is already replaced. Leaving the post up as a reference for others.

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2022, 08:04:28 PM »
Tesla still leads with midrange and high end EVs.

Here’s one assessment: https://www.edmunds.com/electric-car/

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2022, 05:56:27 PM »
Subaru Crosstrek with eyesight.  Well under $30k and in the event you get in the exact same situation, it'll brake for you so you don't total it.  It isn't electric but so what?