Author Topic: Best dog leash for strong puller?  (Read 3309 times)

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
Best dog leash for strong puller?
« on: December 17, 2020, 10:03:46 AM »
Last night while at the park with our 95-lb dog, the hardware on his leash snapped. We used the nylon length to tie an impromptu knot through his collar for the walk back home, but now I'm on the hunt for a good quality, long-lasting leash.

The one that broke was from Amazon for $15, and it did last nearly 2 years, but I can't quite convince myself that's good enough to buy it again. I'm doing some research, but thought I'd reach out to any MMM dog owners - any good recommendations on a strong leash? Hopefully a 6 ft one. We're city dwellers, so he goes on about 4 walks daily. Thanks in advance!

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Best dog leash for strong puller?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 10:08:30 AM »
I am brand loyal to Max and Neo. This leash in particular is my very favorite, with triple padded handles to help control how close you want your dog to you (traffic situations, etc)

https://www.maxandneo.com/collections/dog-leashes/products/triple-handle-heavy-duty-reflective-leash

Edit: sorry for the giant photo!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 10:12:13 AM by MudPuppy »

Runrunrun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 11:28:15 AM »
If you search something like "slip rope lead leash", I have had the best luck with these. Pretty much indestructible... 10 bucks or so on Amazon. Bought my 100lb dog this leash and have used it for the past 6 years.

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 12:34:32 PM »
Thank you both for your responses! My partner liked the Max and Neo leash, so I went ahead and ordered it. Looking forward to the many handle options. Appreciate your help!

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 12:46:52 PM »
Are you using a leash + neck collar?

We had a very strong puller and switched to a harness similar to this one: https://www.amazon.ca/PetSafe-Easy-Walk-Harness-Large/dp/B07WYJKT78/ref=asc_df_B07WYJKT78/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=418592605340&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11307822685364806475&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000089&hvtargid=pla-823156851783&psc=1

When she started to pull, the front section would tighten slightly causing her to slow down. It worked great for our walks.

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 01:33:38 PM »
Yes, we're using a leash and collar. Last night during the "incident", we were actually testing out his new harness. Though it doesn't have the martingale loop like the one you linked to. And, my dog hated it. His first idea was not to walk anywhere if he had to wear it ("i'll just sit down and DIE"), but we coaxed him to the nearby park, which has exciting smells and a tennis court where we throw a stick for him.

After the excitement though, he decided to try and tear the harness off with his teeth. We were removing the harness (because we want it to be a good experience, not a terrible one), but somewhere in there the leash itself broke.

I'm making him sound pretty difficult, but he's mostly fine with his leash and collar on regular walks. In our neighborhood, he's so familiar with the terrain that he doesn't pull. But when we go to parks and trails (5x per week), he pulls a lot out of excitement. We're trying to figure out a better way to work with him on that front. And now I'm hoping to find a leash that won't need to be replaced every two years!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 01:50:41 PM »
Rope leashes and leather leashes tend to be very sturdy.

For a puller, I like to have a leash with multiple hand loops so that I can have a nice solid grip close to their neck without looping the leash tightly around my hand.

I've walked some epic pullers, and although controversial, I have the best luck with a classic choke chain, but used with a very gentle touch.

My little guy can only walk nicely with a choke chain, but because of it he never pulls.

Goldendog777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 07:14:29 PM »
Try a gentle leader.  It goes around their snoots kind of like a horse harness.  If they pull, their heads turn to the side.  It works great for any dog that is a strong puller.  I used it on my dog when he was younger. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 08:04:56 PM »
Try a gentle leader.  It goes around their snoots kind of like a horse harness.  If they pull, their heads turn to the side.  It works great for any dog that is a strong puller.  I used it on my dog when he was younger.

Oh yeah, those are great for excited, non aggressive pullers. I forgot about those because I've mostly adopted super aggressive dogs for so long.

I found the aggro pitbulls especially would just contort and twist themselves and keep pulling out of sheer determined rage, but my lab from decades ago was so easy to manage with the horse-bridle style because he would only pull forward to try and smell things. If I turned his head towards me he just kind of stopped, not knowing where to go, plus he was no longer facing whatever was interesting.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 08:22:00 PM »
pitbulls especially would just contort and twist themselves and keep pulling out of sheer determined rage

I see you’ve met my puppy lol

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 04:28:08 AM »
With all due respect, you're asking the wrong question. The stronger the harness, the more you encourage the dog to pull. The better question is how to get the dog not to pull. It only requires calm assertive patience and regular walking. Start here: https://www.cesarsway.com/.

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 11:58:04 AM »
Hmm. My question was asking for a recommendation for a sturdy, durable leash, since the one that just broke had thin metal for the clasp, but we can certainly do a better job learning to manage our dog's excitement.

The pulling is primarily a problem when we go to parks and trails, because due to his excitement, he's basically choking himself and gasping to keep moving forward. We are able to get him to sit down for a minute, but as soon as we start walking again, he's straining at the end of the leash. We've never successfully transitioned him from getting treats to do what we want to doing those same things when the treats taper off. That's why we're trying out the harness, which happily went better on the second try.

But mostly I'm hoping for a leash that won't fall apart! We did order the Max and Neo leash with the three different handles, and I'm looking forward to trying it out when it arrives.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 12:13:33 PM »
Hmm. My question was asking for a recommendation for a sturdy, durable leash, since the one that just broke had thin metal for the clasp, but we can certainly do a better job learning to manage our dog's excitement.

The pulling is primarily a problem when we go to parks and trails, because due to his excitement, he's basically choking himself and gasping to keep moving forward. We are able to get him to sit down for a minute, but as soon as we start walking again, he's straining at the end of the leash. We've never successfully transitioned him from getting treats to do what we want to doing those same things when the treats taper off. That's why we're trying out the harness, which happily went better on the second try.

But mostly I'm hoping for a leash that won't fall apart! We did order the Max and Neo leash with the three different handles, and I'm looking forward to trying it out when it arrives.

I never take pullers to parks and trails until they get used to not pulling, the over stimulation is often too much for them. I personally like to leash train difficult dogs on sidewalks.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2020, 06:45:14 AM »
If you give the resources I suggested a try, you'll learn that the solution starts at home. You've already made a mistake if you're outside of where you and your dog live and your dog's excited.

Training begins by leaving your home with a calm dog. If you have a high energy dog, you might need to first drain the dog's energy with a run, bike ride with the dog next to you if safe, or really long walk before beginning the training, but the training always begins inside the door you exit to walk, go to the park, hike, whatever. Then you return home and begin as you would with any other dog. You wait by the front door in a calm assertive manner with the dog behind you, and you don't open the front door until the dog submits and relaxes to the point that it lies down. Forcing it to lie down doesn't work. The dog has to actually lie down like it's ready to relax or even go to sleep. Then you open the door and repeat until the dog lies down with an open door in front of them. You don't need to say a thing. Speaking is for humans. Dogs speak in energy and body language. You don't leave the house until the dog is consistently calm before leaving. You don't put a dog in a car to go to a park or whatever until the dog is just as calm. The car does not move until the dog is calm. The dog does not exit the car until the dog is calm.

This next part is hard to hear, but it's true. If this doesn't work, the problem isn't the dog. It's you. Find whatever works for you to get yourself into a calm assertive state. Meditation. Relaxing music. Whatever. But the problem isn't the dog.

If you have Disney+, you can watch the Dog Whisperer for free. I've tried his methods, and they work just as well as on the show!

Good luck!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2020, 07:15:10 AM »
Whoa.

Um, I'm a HUGE Cesar Milan fan, and even I find your response off-putting.

Cesar is amazing, and I've had great success with several of my rescue dogs with what I've learned with his approach, but like every tool, it doesn't work in everyone's hands with every dog.

There are many schools of thought on dog behaviour, and Cesar's approach doesn't fundamentally invalidate all others.

OP, yes, if you haven't already started looking into the various approaches of dog behaviour, I also agree with starting with Cesar Milan because his approach is actually the least labour intensive *if* it works for you and your dog.

In my hands, it works with most of the dogs, and I've rescued a lot of dogs, but with certain dogs it gets me nowhere and I have to completely change tactics.

My mom is a dog trainer and used a completely different approach. She introduced me to Cesar Milan, but in her hands, with her energy, it just doesn't work. Her training in a totally different school of thought works very well for her.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2020, 07:35:32 AM »
Sorry if my response offended. I just reread it, and it seems honest and heartfelt to me. I'm sorry if that's not how it reads for others, but that is my honest intent.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2020, 07:40:32 AM »
Sorry if my response offended. I just reread it, and it seems honest and heartfelt to me. I'm sorry if that's not how it reads for others, but that is my honest intent.

In that case, here's my input: I would have phrased it with "I've learned the following from watching/reading Cesar Milan's Dog Whisperer, and it's really worked for me and my dog".

Your post came off as "I know how you should behave with your dog", which really, you don't. You have your personal experience of benefitting from expert advice, but you can't know how it will work for someone else.

I know because when I was younger and first discovered Cesar Milan and it worked so well for me, I told everyone how they "should" handle their dogs, until I hit a wall with one of my dogs and realized I hadn't found "the one true truth",  I was just one person who did well with some advice I saw on TV.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2020, 07:42:09 AM »
If you want quality dog equipment, use the same stuff that serious hound hunters use.
Go to someplace like "Gun Dog Supply" or "Conkeys Outdoors" and you can find some great, heavy duty collars, lead straps, etc.   

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2020, 05:57:47 PM »
Sounds like you may have already found something that works but if anyone needs to try a different brand, I highly recommend.

https://www.lupinepet.com

The design is basic but the quality and warranty are wonderful, especially if you have a chewer.  Can confirm they will replace leashes and collars free of charge if broken. It was very hassle free when I had to do an exchange.

JustK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2021, 07:59:38 AM »
I'm another fan of the gentle leader. We leash-trained our 80# pit mix with one for about 6 months before we were able to switch to a regular web leash.

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 07:45:25 AM »
You want a slip leash if you have a puller (as well as some time spent training to reduce pulling behavior, if you can).  We have always used slip leashes for maximum control and I have never had one break.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2021, 04:25:49 PM »
My vet showed me a technique that worked well with my previous dog, an 85 pound Golden Retriever.  She would pull my arm off every single walk no matter how much I tried to tire her out first.  Using a regular nylon leash and collar, run the leash halfway down the dog’s back, then pass it under the belly and loop it through the leash on top of the dog.  When the dog pulls, it tightens around the abdomen; if it doesn’t pull, it doesn’t tighten.  Just make sure the collar is snug enough that it doesn’t spin, otherwise the dog can get a leg through the loop.  After only a few steps, my dog understood the deal and walks were more pleasant for both of us.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 08:18:28 AM »
I agree with other posters . . . if the dog is pulling very hard on the leash regularly, there's a problem.  That problem can be fixed with proper training (although it can be a lot of work depending on the breed/personality of the animal).

As far as leashes go, I used a heavy duty chain leash with a leather handle for training large dogs and it worked very well (it's super solid and I don't see how it could break).  Something like this:

If this type of leash is too long (often you want to keep a pulling dog on a pretty short leash), you can shorten them by looping a carabiner through a link on the chain and the D-ring that goes through the handle.  Then you can lengthen it once the training problem is solved.