Author Topic: Bank accounts  (Read 2697 times)

MoneyGoal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Bank accounts
« on: February 28, 2019, 04:07:08 PM »
I have most of my cash in Online Saving Account Marcus by Goldman Sachs for the high yield.
I also have some cash in Citibank and Chase checking and saving accounts. These accounts are mostly for check payments. I plan to close either Citibank of Chase. Which is better?

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
Re: Bank accounts
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 07:20:12 PM »
I have most of my cash in Online Saving Account Marcus by Goldman Sachs for the high yield.
I also have some cash in Citibank and Chase checking and saving accounts. These accounts are mostly for check payments. I plan to close either Citibank of Chase. Which is better?

Since you have both, I think you would be in the best position to evaluate.
Sit down and write out a list of what's important to you in a bank account.,
then rate each bank in the category. Hopefully that will whittle it down.
Possible things that might be important or not to you.
Location, cost, ease of online bill pay, availability of online pictures of your, statements, transactions,
checks, deposits, etc, Friendly tellers, locations that are not always packed and anything you can think of.

grobinski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIREd - 02.03.20!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 06:54:28 PM »
+1 re:credit union or other higher yield option. The 2.25% Marcus isn't horrible but you can do better. My primary checking account is with Consumers Credit Union in Chicagoland. This account has been earning 5.09%+ for 3+ years. There are transaction requirements to get that rate but I don't have much trouble meeting them.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/checking/reward-checking-accounts.html

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 08:04:17 PM »
Dump the hideous bank monsters and find a good credit union near you. At my credit union, I have an interest-earning checking account that pays me 10$ or more per month in interest. We keep a slush fund in there as part of our ultra-liquid emergency fund.

I have never, ever had a problem with them, they've never tried to steal my money or my house, or open fake accounts in my name, and they don't launder money for ISIS, Al Qaeda, Mexican Drug Cartels..They have real branches, real tellers, no ATM fees (nationwide network), and when I call on the phone, I get fast and efficient and friendly service.

I also recommend Ally for other savings accounts, etc.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 08:06:07 PM »
Dump the hideous bank monsters and find a good credit union near you. At my credit union, I have an interest-earning checking account that pays me 10$ or more per month in interest. We keep a slush fund in there as part of our ultra-liquid emergency fund.

I have never, ever had a problem with them, they've never tried to steal my money or my house, or open fake accounts in my name, and they don't launder money for ISIS, Al Qaeda, Mexican Drug Cartels..They have real branches, real tellers, no ATM fees (nationwide network), and when I call on the phone, I get fast and efficient and friendly service.

I also recommend Ally for other savings accounts, etc.

Well stated. Lie down with dogs, expect fleas.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!