Author Topic: auto insurance  (Read 2486 times)

billy

• Bristles
  • fired at 39 since 2021
auto insurance
« on: August 03, 2016, 12:19:32 PM »
I have The Hartford auto insurance for my one car and nothing else and I'm looking on switching to save money to Ameriprise, because it's the cheapest and Consumer reports gives it a decent rating.  But I have read bad things about Ameriprise from reviews, what do you think?  Anyone have Ameriprise by any chance?

pbnj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: auto insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 05:24:43 PM »
I have Ameriprise ins for one vehicle and saved a lot but I have never filed a claim so I cannot say how their service is.  But then, the few times I have filed a claim with other companies, their customer service has been poor, including Hartford.

billy

• Bristles
  • fired at 39 since 2021
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 05:32:12 PM »
I have Ameriprise ins for one vehicle and saved a lot but I have never filed a claim so I cannot say how their service is.  But then, the few times I have filed a claim with other companies, their customer service has been poor, including Hartford.

Thanks for the info....did your rate go up sharply up after the first 6 months?  I can't believe how cheap they are.  I heard the first 6 months is a teaser rate.

pbnj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 10:05:43 PM »
I am coming up to my 3rd premium payment (every 6 months) it has stayed exactly the same to the penny.  With all prior ins companies I would watch it slowly creep up until it pissed me off enough to get more quotes.  I was shocked at the quote initially as it was about HALF of what I was paying to all state.  If you have to file a claim then almost any company will be a hassle to work with Hartford sure was for me.  Give 'em a try if you don't like them switch again but save more for your 'stache in the meantime!

beastykato

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 11:29:20 AM »
Is Ameriprise supposed to be a good discount company or something?  I'd never heard about them until reading this thread, so I called just out of curiosity since my current policy is coming due. 

I have 2 vehicles, a 2009 and a 2012, and they wanted $1400 every 6 months!  I wasn't sure whether I should hurl or laugh at the lady on the phone.  I decided to laugh, but my god it was double what I pay, I'm currently at $1400/year for full coverage on 2 vehicles.

Absolutely insane, cheapest companies I've ever found were Erie and Statefarm.  Erie was slightly cheaper on the house insurance and Statefarm slightly cheaper on the auto, but Erie won out in the end.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 11:35:11 AM »
I have all of my insurance through State Farm (condo, auto, umbrella liability, rental properties).  Having multiple policies at the same company allows for a discount.  I tried to bid it out a few years ago to see if I was getting ripped off but didn't find any better prices. 

pbnj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 05:06:37 PM »
I learned about Ameriprise through Costco; with membership it is incredibly cheap for me.