Author Topic: Are good/ expensive vacuums worth the money?  (Read 6125 times)

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Are good/ expensive vacuums worth the money?
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2021, 07:25:03 PM »
My spouse bought an expensive dyson stick vac. It works well. However, the dirt canister is so poorly designed. It is extremely difficult to open, always makes a mess when opening and I am sure I’ll break it one day.  It also has a very small capacity. All this means that we avoid vacuuming or sometimes i fill the canister and have to stop because for whatever reason it refuses to be emptied that day. So frustrating. 

Maybe other dysons are more user friendly?

I ought to sell this one while it’s still desirable and get something easier to use... but then we’d be back to researching vacuums and goodness what a time suck.

Our is the same!  Very hard to open and empty.   One trick I found on the internet was to put a little baby powder around the seal at the top of the canister.   It does seem to help.  I also find that pulling the red lever out as I push down allows me to get the damn thing open.  Our son talked us into getting a dyson, and when it fails or I throw it against the wall in frustration I will not be buying another.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2021, 05:57:32 AM »
My spouse bought an expensive dyson stick vac. It works well. However, the dirt canister is so poorly designed. It is extremely difficult to open, always makes a mess when opening and I am sure I’ll break it one day.  It also has a very small capacity. All this means that we avoid vacuuming or sometimes i fill the canister and have to stop because for whatever reason it refuses to be emptied that day. So frustrating. 

Maybe other dysons are more user friendly?

I ought to sell this one while it’s still desirable and get something easier to use... but then we’d be back to researching vacuums and goodness what a time suck.

Our is the same!  Very hard to open and empty.   One trick I found on the internet was to put a little baby powder around the seal at the top of the canister.   It does seem to help.  I also find that pulling the red lever out as I push down allows me to get the damn thing open.  Our son talked us into getting a dyson, and when it fails or I throw it against the wall in frustration I will not be buying another.

That would be frustrating. Ours does not do that at all. We have a V11 Animal, which has a similar design.

Model96

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2021, 06:51:10 AM »
We've had 2 Dysons and found them to be expensive, noisy,  inadequate and wore quickly so they both went within a couple of years. We upgraded to Electrolux/Zanussi central vacuum (cheap when you install yourself) and a little Miele, and neither have given any problem over a decade. Haven't ever seen or used a bagless portable vacuum that isn't a nightmare.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 06:53:14 AM by Model96 »

the_hobbitish

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2021, 08:09:52 AM »
I have an older model stick where the canister points down perpendicular to the stick instead of in line with it. Seems like the older model design is much easier to open.