Author Topic: Are good/ expensive vacuums worth the money?  (Read 6070 times)

Alchemisst

• Bristles
Are good/ expensive vacuums worth the money?
« on: January 29, 2021, 07:54:55 PM »
Are they really that much better than any normal vacuum?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Are good/ expensive vacuums worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 08:41:37 PM »
Depends on your needs.

Do you have hardwood floors and no shedding pets? Probably not. Do you have carpet everywhere and 12 golden retrievers? Yes, yes they are.

joenorm

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 06:41:30 PM »
I've gone deep down the rabbit hole of vacuums lately.

I went from wanting a nice German made to being OK with a cheaper well reviewed(sort of) Chinese made.

After much research I have come back around to buying the more quality and pretty expensive model($700). They have a 10 year warranty and its something I will use daily, may as well like the thing.

One of the major differences between a good and bad vacuum is filtration. The best have a good HEPA filter so you are keeping nearly 100% of what you suck up in the bag. Not the case with cheaper vacs. 

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 06:54:28 PM »
Nothing like a nice vintage Kirby. Yes, they're heavy, but they hold their value, are easily repaired/rebuilt, have excellent suction, and are good for a half-century or more of regular use. Definitely a 'buy it for life' purchase.

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 08:33:32 PM »
We have vacuum-itis. I can think of two uprights, two high end canisters, a shop vac, two rechargeable sticks and a couple hand helds. And two broken central vac systems!

I recently got rid of a couple. I love the shop vac. Spouse likes the cordless sweeps. The Shark Navigator is good overall, for stairs and pet fur. Miele canister strong and quiet.

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 10:57:50 PM »
Wife asked for an expensive Dyson stick, "The Animal" (?) cord free.  I kind of balked at the price, it was like $450 retail.  She seems to love it.  We have an Australian Shepherd and hardwood floors with a few rugs.  Apparently, it was a very good purchase and very much worth the money. 

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 06:13:31 AM »
I really don't think so, but it depends on your priorities.

We've had 3 Shark vacuums in the last 7 years. The first had something get caught in the rollers and the brushroll no longer works. We use it as our car vacuum since it otherwise has excellent suction.

Second was a replacement to the broken one, it's a corded 'stick' vacuum - I generally prefer it but my wife has been lukewarm on it. It is in excellent shape.

Third was a present from my parents to my wife, an upright shark that can disconnect from the brushroll and act sort of like a backpack canister.

All three run laps around my MIL's Oreck and Riccar, no joke. We took our second vac over to my in-laws' a couple years ago and went over one room twice with the Riccar and another with the Oreck, then we went over each room immediately after with our (comparatively) cheap little Shark and filled the canister completely from each room.

All that being said, 'cheap' vacuums are all disposable consumer products and there's little opportunity to repair them apart from consumables like brushroll belts and filters - eventually they become less useful and eventually will lose all utility. If you care about keeping consumer products out of waste streams, then it might very well make sense to get a 'buy it for life' vac.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 07:22:30 AM »
I hate sending a steady stream of items into the waste stream and I'm generally a buy-it-for-life type of person.  I make an exception with vacuums though, because lightweight is very important to me (I'm a really small person). We have a small house, two cats and all hardwood floors.  Bissell's cannister vac is my "disposable" vacuum of choice these days and runs about $60.
My mom has a really nice, heavy-duty vac (I forget the brand, but it's a good name).  She doesn't use it at all because it's too heavy. There's nothing good about BIFL but never using it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 08:08:16 AM »
I bought a Dyson vacuum more than a decade ago, and have been very happy with it.  It succeeded two previous (much cheaper vacuums) that both didn't work very well and both died in less than 4 years.  The Dyson is not perfect (pretty awkward on stairs, very noisy) but does the job very well.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 08:13:04 AM »
I don't see any big advantage.  The cheapo Wal mart Dyson units do the work just fine.   
If something goes bad, throw it out and get another.

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 08:15:46 AM »
I have mostly hardwood floors and two shedding pets (and there are two long-haired shedding female humans in the house, as well). I find the vacuum to be the best way to clean hardwood floors, although YMMV. I ponied up for a Miele vacuum and have been very happy with it. I did NOT get the highest-end model: I think I paid under $400 Canadian, but that was back in 2001. It still works great and I am extremely pleased with the decision to buy what was for me a very expensive item, back then. The bag-check indicator quit working but it is otherwise in great shape.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 02:59:01 AM »
I bought a refurbished Miele canister vacuum from a local vacuum store about 15 years ago.  It still works as well as the day I bought it.  It's never been brought in for servicing or repairs during all this time.  I don't remember even replacing a belt.  I've been told that the engines on the older Miele canister vacuums run forever.  If you have a local vacuum store, you might want to check out whether there are some good deals there on refurbished vacs.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 05:13:24 AM »
I had a heavy shedding golden retriever and in stead of spending a small fortune on a dyson, i went with the shark vacuum at a fraction of the cost. it has performed flawlessly over the past 4 years. Thats said, its construction is largely plastic, so in terms of durability it might be inferrior (if dyson is largely metal). However durability concerns have not emerged yet in 4 years.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 06:05:23 AM »
I recently bought a Dyson Animal (the version for households with pets). I am blown away by how much better it is than any other vacuum I have ever had. Sad I didn’t buy it years ago.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 07:56:54 AM »
We have mostly wooden floors and no pets. I use a swiffer to clean the floors. We have gotten rid of all the rugs, as those always created extra vaccuuming when cleaning.
In case we need to vaccuum something like the tiled hall and kitchen, we have a Miele that is extra silent and extra allergy-friendly. It does not have the strongest sucking function, but we don't need that.
Our current rental house has a built in vacuum. But I find that long hose a bit of a hassle, so in practice I use the Miele manual vac evenly often, although is has a cord.

InvincibleChutzpah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 60% leanFI
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 08:12:18 AM »
Depends on your needs.

Do you have hardwood floors and no shedding pets? Probably not. Do you have carpet everywhere and 12 golden retrievers? Yes, yes they are.

Exactly. For years, I lived alone in a 500 squarefoot condo with hardwood floors. I used a broom and a Libman spray mop. Now, I have a house with 3 carpeted bedrooms. I've also aquired a dog and a girlfriend, both of whom shed like there is no tomorrow. My life is hair. The Roomba and Dyson vacuum with the pet hair furniture attachement are the only thing keeping me from being buried alive in monsterous dust bunnies. Hyperbole aside, more expensive vacuums can be worth it.

I do still have the Libman spray mop cause that thing is amazing.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 08:14:40 AM by InvincibleChutzpah »

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 06:54:34 PM »
I bought a robot vacuum. It's awesome.
It just goes around sucking stuff up while I sit on my ass. Doesn't matter how well it sucks stuff up when you can run it 20x as much as a normal vacuum for zero effort.

PKFFW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2021, 07:41:46 PM »
I've had the Dyson DC39 ball vacuum (the pet hair model) for over 15 years.  Just in the last month the handle broke, so I replaced it and the tiny wheels on the bottom of the vacuum head, which over the years have one by one broken.  Total cost for repairs, $27.95.  The thing still sucks like a black hole and the HEPA filter still traps everything.  Considering the vacuuming is one of my designated chores, I'm very happy with the purchase.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2021, 08:14:30 PM »
Dyson DC25 from more than a decade a go which has needed only a new hose. Got it from kohl’s and used the kohl’s cash for more kitchen linens (this was when we married)

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 10:19:58 AM »
I will say that Dyson's seem to last a lot longer than any other vacuum I've had, so it probably works out in the end. You either spend $100 every couple of years, or $450 once every15 years.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2021, 10:56:54 AM »
I will say that Dyson's seem to last a lot longer than any other vacuum I've had, so it probably works out in the end. You either spend $100 every couple of years, or $450 once every15 years.

Or $70 every 15 years. Depends entirely on your usage.

cupcakery

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2021, 06:37:39 AM »
We were gifted a refurbished Kirby which was amazing compared to the cheap Hoover we had previously.  Unfortunately, it was heavy and awkward.  When it died, we thought about having it repaired, but I was done lugging that thing around.  We bought a lightweight Shark that works much better than my Kirby and I can pick it up one-handed.  So I say no to anything super cheap, but I also don't think you need to spend thousands.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2021, 02:59:31 PM »

Do you only vacuum once/month?

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2021, 03:03:11 PM »
I bought a Miele a few months ago.  I love it! It has fabulous, and very adjustable, suction while still being quiet.  I have allergies so having a HEPA sealed vacuum is definitely with it to me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 01:12:03 PM by Dee18 »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2021, 04:03:52 PM »

Lol, no, my house is exceptionally clean.

I've mostly lived in small apartments with no carpet, no shoes indoors, no shedding pets, no kids. So yeah, my little Dirt Devil lasted forever.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2021, 04:24:07 PM »

Lol, no, my house is exceptionally clean.

I've mostly lived in small apartments with no carpet, no shoes indoors, no shedding pets, no kids. So yeah, my little Dirt Devil lasted forever.

Yep, that would do it.

joenorm

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2021, 07:33:06 AM »
This is not true for everyone but if I have a nicely made item, I enjoy using it more. I recently bought a nicely engineered, German-made vacuum and I have so much more respect for the product than the other junk on the market so I end up cleaning more than I otherwise would, which to me is a good thing.

Not to mention it works better than anything else and is healthier because it is not spitting dust everywhere.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2021, 07:58:25 AM »
This is not true for everyone but if I have a nicely made item, I enjoy using it more. I recently bought a nicely engineered, German-made vacuum and I have so much more respect for the product than the other junk on the market so I end up cleaning more than I otherwise would, which to me is a good thing.

Not to mention it works better than anything else and is healthier because it is not spitting dust everywhere.

I completely agree. Plus, I am more careful about maintaining it.

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2021, 05:34:34 PM »

Okay, which one?

I can't believe I am spending time reading about vacuums but apparently, I am that desperate.

joenorm

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2021, 07:26:49 AM »

Okay, which one?

I can't believe I am spending time reading about vacuums but apparently, I am that desperate.

Sebo Felix. I found it new but from an open box on Ebay. So it was a little discounted from sticker price.

darknight

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2021, 07:09:48 PM »
I had to upgrade awhile back and immediately went to costco. They had 2 options and I quickly googled some reviews.. Both were terrible! Both options were over $100.. Shocked I went to Amazon and found the highest rated vacuum (Bissel I think?) $90 or so dollars, thousands of 4 or 5 star reviews. It has outperformed older "higher end" models of family members and subsequently my parents and one of my siblings each own one. You could buy 10 new ones for the price of a "high-end" vacuum.

Just looked, it's listed on Amazon for $110 and has over 40,000 reviews. Kirby's used online are near $1k. that's crazy money. Maybe it's my baby mmmustache but i've driven 10's of thousands of miles on my current car that cost less than a new kirby.

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2021, 10:33:08 AM »
We've had a Miele canister vacuum for 15 years.

Pros: a pleasure to use. Great suction. Great filtration. The vaccum itself keeps going with no issues.

Cons: the power head has not been very reliable, or easy to repair. Parts are expensive. Repair is expensive. At some point, plastic stopped holding screws from all disassemble/assemble cycles. We keep throwing money at it because we got spoiled and cannot bring ourselves to buying a cheaper vacuum, and new Mieles are - you guessed it - expensive.

Edit: one more Pro - even in the broken state, that power head fetched decent money on eBay.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 11:30:26 AM by GodlessCommie »

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2021, 11:04:15 AM »
I currently have a Shark Navigator which I bought 2.5 years ago. Every vacuum I owned before it was awful, this one has been... acceptable. I'm tempted by these stories of fancy-sounding German ones.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2021, 11:09:31 AM »
I bought a Dyson vacuum more than a decade ago, and have been very happy with it.  It succeeded two previous (much cheaper vacuums) that both didn't work very well and both died in less than 4 years.  The Dyson is not perfect (pretty awkward on stairs, very noisy) but does the job very well.

One housekeeping tip I will never forget from Don Aslett, king of “how to keep your house clean” authors is:

Do not put carpet on stairs because  then the stairs will require multiple cleaning methods. They require a method for the hardwood on the sides of the carpet, and then they require a carpet sweeping device.

Since I hate all forms of wall to wall carpet with a passion, that was an easy rule  to follow.

Now that we have cleaner dogs, I have put down a few rugs in recent years. But there’s nothing easier than having wood floors that you sweep. Brooms are nice, And it is meditative to sweep.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 11:11:41 AM by iris lily »

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2021, 02:34:35 PM »
Ugh the vacuum struggle is real. I currently own a Dyson and a free-to-me Kirby.  None of them do a great job on the fur that’s in my area rugs. I have 3 cats who shed various amounts. I do like the fact that I can take the Dyson apart to clean it out relatively easily. The Kirby I like because I can sweep and the debris remains in the bag without me having to fuss with it. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 04:57:05 PM by Loretta »

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2021, 03:27:53 PM »
Now that we have cleaner dogs, I have put down a few rugs in recent years.

WHAT?  There are dogs who will clean your house??  Maybe I should change my stance on owning one.  My kids will be so happy!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2021, 03:58:29 PM »

WHAT?  There are dogs who will clean your house??  Maybe I should change my stance on owning one.  My kids will be so happy!

Just play fetch for a few hours and the floors are spotless.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2021, 04:31:59 PM »
My spouse bought an expensive dyson stick vac. It works well. However, the dirt canister is so poorly designed. It is extremely difficult to open, always makes a mess when opening and I am sure I’ll break it one day.  It also has a very small capacity. All this means that we avoid vacuuming or sometimes i fill the canister and have to stop because for whatever reason it refuses to be emptied that day. So frustrating. 

Maybe other dysons are more user friendly?

I ought to sell this one while it’s still desirable and get something easier to use... but then we’d be back to researching vacuums and goodness what a time suck.

joenorm

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2021, 05:17:21 PM »
Dyson seems to have mastered marketing, not vacuum design. Same with Shark. These are throw away brands after a few years.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2021, 05:20:59 PM »

I had an aquarium with cleaner-fish.  They did an ok job, but the tank was far from spotless.  Here’s hoping the cleaner dogs are better at their jobs.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2021, 05:32:57 PM »

I had an aquarium with cleaner-fish.  They did an ok job, but the tank was far from spotless.  Here’s hoping the cleaner dogs are better at their jobs.

My dog died when my son was 18 months and part of the reason I didn't wait very long to get another dog was because I was tired of cleaning up food that he dropped on the floor. I know, a roomba would have been cheaper.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2021, 05:38:14 PM »

My dog died when my son was 18 months and part of the reason I didn't wait very long to get another dog was because I was tired of cleaning up food that he dropped on the floor. I know, a roomba would have been cheaper.

Roomba is not good for cleaning up food scraps, nothing beats a dog.

The last time I rented a cottage, dogs weren't allowed there, and I was constantly whining to DH about how undignified and uncivilized it was that I had to pick food scraps off of the floor with my hands like a frickin' peasant.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2021, 08:29:18 PM »

Hahaha!

I mean, the dog I have now has cleaner habits than all previous dogs. He doesn't pee on rugs, for
imstance.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2021, 07:12:56 AM »
Dyson seems to have mastered marketing, not vacuum design. Same with Shark. These are throw away brands after a few years.

My Dyson vacuum has been going strong for the past 12 with no issues.  The only maintenance needed is to wash out the sponge filter every year.  What problems have you had?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2021, 09:13:47 AM »

My Dyson vacuum has been going strong for the past 12 with no issues.  The only maintenance needed is to wash out the sponge filter every year.  What problems have you had?

Yeah I've had mine for about ten years. Before that I burned out a cheap vacuum every 2 years or so.

the_hobbitish

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2021, 09:26:54 AM »
I've had a dyson stick for about 6-8 years. One charge does my whole main floor and picks up an amazing amount of fine dust and cat hair. I clean the filter on rare occasions. I do have to pop the little wheels out and back on to clear the snarled hair bunnies, but I think that would happen with any vacuum. I own a larger canister vac that I never take out of the closet because the stick does fine.

My only complaint is that the soft spin attachment (no brush) that's on there now does occasionally kick dry cat food across the floor instead of picking it up if I don't go at it from the right angle.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2021, 09:30:06 AM »
i love my Dyson. 2 cats, carpet, and long haired peoples... so nice to be able to take the thing apart so easily and remove hair snarls etc.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2021, 09:40:19 AM »
It comes to mind that there are different models of Dyson vacuum cleaners.

The one that I've had good luck with is this one:

I've got no experience with quality of the other ones.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2021, 12:32:06 PM »
My spouse bought an expensive dyson stick vac. It works well. However, the dirt canister is so poorly designed. It is extremely difficult to open, always makes a mess when opening and I am sure I’ll break it one day.  It also has a very small capacity. All this means that we avoid vacuuming or sometimes i fill the canister and have to stop because for whatever reason it refuses to be emptied that day. So frustrating. 

Maybe other dysons are more user friendly?

I ought to sell this one while it’s still desirable and get something easier to use... but then we’d be back to researching vacuums and goodness what a time suck.

Wow, this hasn’t been my experience at all. Which model Dyson did you buy?

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2021, 02:27:20 PM »
I don’t know the model! Somewhere below the animal vacuum. My only real complaint is the tricky canister.