Author Topic: Anybody ever use Trim to lower their phone/cable/internet bills?  (Read 5490 times)

trc4897

• Stubble
I just used Trim to lower my internet bill from $75 to $50 per month. $300 yearly savings! They do take a 15% cut up front, but still worth it in my mind. They did the negotiating for me all I had to do was upload my Spectrum bill. Anyone else used this before?

I heard about it from the ChooseFI podcast btw. Their website is asktrim.com

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
Re: Anybody ever use Trim to lower their phone/cable/internet bills?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 11:42:01 AM »
Ok I just did this based on your post.  I tried a couple of years ago and thought the security was sketchy at the time (probably unfounded.)  They just negotiated my bill to $20/month cheaper than it was, and the speed went from 50mbps to 300...
Thank you.

edit: I sound like a shill, but I'm not.  Pretty happy about this experience.

trc4897

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 08:53:13 PM »
Ok I just did this based on your post.  I tried a couple of years ago and thought the security was sketchy at the time (probably unfounded.)  They just negotiated my bill to $20/month cheaper than it was, and the speed went from 50mbps to 300...
Thank you.

edit: I sound like a shill, but I'm not.  Pretty happy about this experience.

Awesome! My brother saved $30 a month. Kinda jealous he got a better deal than me for the same service haha

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 09:20:42 AM »
Interesting... anyone ever use this for Cox? Cox is one of the worst as far as rate hikes.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 08:16:41 AM »
posting to follow

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 07:57:40 AM »
What if you're only using the lowest (cheapest) tier already? I pay $52 a month for 'economy cable'. I asked for a discount a few months ago, and they just said no. I wonder if Trim could get it down to $40 a month.     

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 08:04:14 AM »
Adding to above post:  that's $52 a month for TV only. No internet.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 07:05:09 PM »
I have them linked up to my internet bill with Spectrum.  I actually forgot about Trim for about a year, but then out of nowhere they negotiated my bill down by $10/month for a year.  I wish I had more bills they could negotiate, but cell phone is $32 for 2 of us, and no TV.

PVkcin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 08:34:58 PM »
Posting to follow.
I had never heard about trim or anything like this but I find it fascinating!

I'm not sure that they could help us personally -
We only pay $45 for internet, and cox seems to only raise our rates a few dollars per year (we started around $25/month 9-ish years ago).
We only pay about $50 for two cells phones. We don't have TV.

I see on their website they even negotiate medical bills. I work in the medical field and have learned a few tips/tricks to getting bills down, so I always wondered if there was a service out there that helped with those. Seems like a pretty good idea for a company.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 12:22:37 PM »
Got my Spectrum bill reduced by $20/month. Money well spent if that last for 12 months like they say it will. Thanks for the recommendation.

suds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 07:07:23 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Signed up a few days ago - and just got notified my internet bill is being lowered $20 (Spectrum). Which is extremely frustrating, because I called them a few months ago to ask them to lower it, and they refused. Don't really have any other negotiable bills, or I would try it on them as well.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 11:36:01 AM »
I just used Trim to lower my internet bill from $75 to $50 per month. $300 yearly savings! They do take a 15% cut up front, but still worth it in my mind. They did the negotiating for me all I had to do was upload my Spectrum bill. Anyone else used this before?

When you say 15% up front, how is that determined and paid?  While there's nothing they can do for me, my 86 year old mother is being charged FAR too much for her TV/Phone/Internet by Spectrum. 

eta: found it - they charge 15% of your yearly savings to whatever form of payment you give them.  And hope that you continue to save what they promise?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 11:38:42 AM by geekette »

trc4897

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 11:50:43 AM »
Thanks for the tip. Signed up a few days ago - and just got notified my internet bill is being lowered $20 (Spectrum). Which is extremely frustrating, because I called them a few months ago to ask them to lower it, and they refused. Don't really have any other negotiable bills, or I would try it on them as well.

Same thing happened to me! Then I heard about Trim so figured I should try it

trc4897

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 11:52:50 AM »

When you say 15% up front, how is that determined and paid?  While there's nothing they can do for me, my 86 year old mother is being charged FAR too much for her TV/Phone/Internet by Spectrum. 

eta: found it - they charge 15% of your yearly savings to whatever form of payment you give them.  And hope that you continue to save what they promise?

That's correct. I paid $45 once they negotiated me the $300 yearly savings. You don't pay anything if they can't save you any money, which is nice. For me specifically, it is a 12 month contract so i should pay $50 per month for these 12 months, then I imagine it will hop back up to $75 per month.

suds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2022, 06:42:06 PM »
Just a follow-up on this - apparently Trim called spectrum again last week - and got a 1-time $10 credit from them (they charged the same 15%, so my portion of that was $8.5). Not sure what the 'credit' is for - but hey, free money. Since September - I've now saved $90 ($250 projected if I stick with Spectrum until Sept.). All in all, this might be the greatest ROI I've ever gotten from 10 minutes - definitely recommend.

Don't really have any other bills (they don't have an option to negotiate insurance, and my cell phone is a pre-paid plan with Mint) - but if I did I would definitely try. This is working way better than I originally expected. Also - not sure if I missed it the first time; but it looks like on their page they have options to negotiate medical debt for you, and also other things like credit card APR (not that most people who see this will actually carry a balance). 

On a different note - for Internet bills in the US - the Affordable Connectivity Program is still going on, which could lower your bill even more if you qualify (and the criteria is pretty broad): https://www.fcc.gov/acp

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2022, 03:08:43 PM »
Thanks for this thread! I've never heard of Trim before but I just signed up. I don't think they'll be able to lower the couple of bills that I gave them but maybe once the current promo rates on them expire. I'm sic'ing them on a subscription box service that won't let me cancel my subscription and I'm curious if they'll have better success than I've had.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2022, 07:24:49 PM »
I tried this for my Mom's $165/month Spectrum cable/internet/phone bill. 

They got a one time credit of... $15.

I tried their auto/home insurance quotes, but didn't find anything worth changing. 

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2022, 07:56:25 AM »
Thanks for this thread! I've never heard of Trim before but I just signed up. I don't think they'll be able to lower the couple of bills that I gave them but maybe once the current promo rates on them expire. I'm sic'ing them on a subscription box service that won't let me cancel my subscription and I'm curious if they'll have better success than I've had.

Trim is awesome! They were able to get the horrible subscription box service to cancel my subscription. I've attempted twice myself with no success. Yay!
What a neat service. They weren't able to lower the couple of bills that I gave them but I also didn't expect them to since they're both on promo rates. I'm curious if Trim will be able to get them down once the promo rates expire. But just saving me $54.95/month from the subscription box is a big win!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2022, 08:07:28 AM »
What is a subscription box?

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2022, 08:39:11 AM »

It's a box that you get monthly on a subscription. There are all types and popular ones are for beauty products, pet treats, fancy foods, etc. In my particular case, it was a subscription box service for sewing projects. I had signed up to try it out and then they wouldn't let me cancel claiming that I had committed to 12 months (no proof and I didn't).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2022, 01:26:08 AM »

It's a box that you get monthly on a subscription. There are all types and popular ones are for beauty products, pet treats, fancy foods, etc. In my particular case, it was a subscription box service for sewing projects. I had signed up to try it out and then they wouldn't let me cancel claiming that I had committed to 12 months (no proof and I didn't).
Oh, like Stitch Fix? I've always wondered how those services work, especially for mustachians. We're such blackbelts at reasonable procurement that it's unsurprising that strangers aren't better at it in the long run. Good for you for getting out of their clutches. Good for Trim for making the problem go away.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2022, 10:45:51 AM »
I just read an article on how the average consumer spends $273/mo on "subscriptions".  They included things like internet and phone, which I feel are more utilities, but whatever...

We added ours up, and including $70/mo for google fiber, we spend $110/month for the two of us.  Two cell phones, a land line, internet, Amazon Prime, WaPo, Costco.  Not much else.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 07:05:20 AM »
Interesting... anyone ever use this for Cox? Cox is one of the worst as far as rate hikes.
I always call cox myself.  About every 6 months or so and renegotiate price.  Year before last I negotieated down from $82.99/mo to $52.99/mo for one year.   After that year was up then went to like $83.99.   Then I called back and tried to renogiate and they wouldn't go below $67.99. 

So I switched to TMobile 5g internet.. for $50 per month.  It's been a pretty horrific actually with major slowdowns and often have outages.

I can't wait for AT&T to offer fiber here.. 300mps up and down for $55 per month.    They are layinjg the fiber now out front in our neighboorhood. 

Cox is the worst I hate them.   Now I will have some actual leverage in negotiating with them should I ever have to return instead of just bluffing.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 07:41:36 AM »
Do they negotiate by threatening to walk away, follow through on the walk away, only to crawl back two months later?
Cuz I've tried that technique.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 10:46:44 AM »
Do they negotiate by threatening to walk away, follow through on the walk away, only to crawl back two months later?
Cuz I've tried that technique.

I am so glad AT&T fiber is coming to town.. i won't have to to threaten .. just switch and keep getting the 1 year intro rates.  After one year with AT&T i can get intro ratge from cox for a year.. just keep going back and forth.   I also have Tmobile 5g if i get desperate.. but the service really is bad.

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2022, 09:58:25 PM »
Having two cable providers to choose from makes a world of difference. There are two in my area and for several years I've simply called up Verizon Fios when they raise my rates and tell them I want to cancel on such-and-such date. They waste many minutes trying to convince me to stay, but they never offer me the same low rate I've been getting so I just say no, please cancel. Finally they arrange the cancellation.

Then, invariably, I get an email the very next day offering me exactly the deal I have that, according to their agents just 12 hours ago, was no longer available. So I accept and un-cancel.

Such a stupid game, but now that I've figured it out I don't need "Trim".

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2022, 12:23:50 AM »
I am so glad I setup AT&T Fiber 300.  372 mbps both up and down for $55 per month.  $55.35 with taxes.  No equip fee, no data cap and they promise not to raise rates after 12 months.  We'll see how they do over time, but so far they are awesome.

They aren't sleazy like cox cable, who increase rate from $59.99 per month to $82.99 after 6 months.. always a headache to call them every six months to renegotiate rate.   They also charge an equip fee,  have a 1.25 TB data cap and their upload speed is only 10 mbps (download is 180 mbps).  Needless to say people in my area are switching over left and right from cox to AT&T.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 12:25:48 AM by JenniferW »

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2022, 08:18:25 AM »
@JenniferW Did they not give you an introductory rate of $50/month for the 1Gbps? You may have to have AT&T cell service to get that rate though.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!