Author Topic: Any recommendations on trail runners?  (Read 2693 times)

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
Any recommendations on trail runners?
« on: October 10, 2021, 02:42:49 PM »
Hi fellow FIRE folks! I've been using Salomon trailer runners and getting about 7 years out of them. I do actually trail run in them, but no more than a dozen or so times a year. For the most part, I use them as a versatile, lightweight, and waterproof tool for outdoor life experience. Other activities I use them for include fishing, winter running, less technical hiking, and playing tire-park tag with family. I've been using this brand since before we got into FIRE, and I'm curious if anyone else with more trail runner experience has thoughts about Salomon or other brands.

Thanks!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Any recommendations on trail runners?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 04:58:53 PM »
n'ah, I have a family full of trail folks and they all wear Salomons, I can't even think of a cheaper brand.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 05:26:26 PM »
Hmmm, since OP wasn't necessarily asking for cheaper options....

Altra's have been my go-to trail runner shoe. DW loves the Lone Peak model while I've been wearing Timp model for everything from running to alpine hiking. Seems to be a popular option for thru-hikers and trail running aficionados.

In 2020 when we set off on an 8 month adventure which included TONS of walking/hiking in Europe these were our primary shoes (in addition to light weight synthetic Birkenstocks).

We've both owned and enjoyed Solomon shoes in the past as well. The appeal of the Altra's was 0 drop and a wider than normal toe box. The Lone Peak's have a rock plate which is great for rocky terrain.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 07:10:12 PM »
I've gone through about 6 versions of Brooks Cascadias for hiking and running.  I'm waiting for my REI dividend to arrive to buy another pair next year.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 07:19:38 PM »
Thank you for all of the suggestions!

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 09:01:02 PM »
i like the saucony peregrine, 4 mm heel drop, trail version of the Kinvara

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 05:28:33 PM »
It's been Altras for several years for me, too.  I like that they're a wide toe box, and good grippy tread.  Tough stuff, too.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter what any of us likes.  You just have to try them on for yourself.  My coworker tried the same Altras I wear, and couldn't stand them once she got running.  Find a good running-specific store to help you.

RobertFromTX

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 07:16:27 PM »
Recommendations are tough because everyone's foot is different. Just head over to REI and try on Hoka, Altra, and Brooks. Those are pretty much the best brands these days.

Salomon's tend to be very durable but they're too stiff/hard for me to run in. I am currently running in the Hoka Speedgoats. Very comfortable but they only last about 6 months with regular use though.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 03:44:52 PM »
In case this is helpful to anyone, I went with the Saucony Men's Peregrine 11 GTX. They seemed the best balance of features, including Gore-Tex. I gave them a whirl today. They're light, waterproof, breathable, and super grippy. Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Mr.Money-Curtain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 01:39:15 AM »
Has anyone tried the Hoka boots? I want to change my salomons.