Author Topic: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months  (Read 105804 times)

SickStashBro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months
« Reply #200 on: December 29, 2015, 10:54:12 AM »
I finally got the 50k offer today after weeks of trying. Finally made my account here to share the details. I had tried 3 computers, 7 total browsers, over 50 attempts and none worked. I got it today by heading to www.americanexpress.com (on Firefox not incognito for the record), clicking "CARDS" at the top, Choosing "View All Personal Charge & Credit Cards" from the dropdown, Choosing "Check for Pre-Selected Offers" from the next screen, and filling out the information. Was offered this deal as well as 25k for Everyday and Everyday preferred.

Obviously this probably won't work for everyone, but all the other attempts at card matches recommended to get this offer never worked for me. This did.

Got approved with ~750-770 credit and 37k income. Had applied for Discover It two weeks ago (approved) and Chase SW Premier on Christmas Eve (decision still pending). Probably going to need to look into manufactured spending or buying things for parents/friends if I get approved for the SW card. $1000/month ($2000+$1000 in 90 days) on things I can use a credit card for seems overly luxurious since finding MMM.

Assuming I get the card in by 12/31, anyone know if I will be able to use MPX app to get the Amazon gift card and have the $100 reimbursement count towards 2015? Otherwise I will need to set a reminder to do it again in a year if I end up canceling the card.

Turnbull

• Stubble
Re: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months
« Reply #201 on: December 31, 2015, 10:11:33 PM »
Can I do this Mileage Plus X alchemy without a smartphone? I have about 50 minutes to figure this out I guess. Any help is appreciated.

nanu

• Bristles
Can I do this Mileage Plus X alchemy without a smartphone? I have about 50 minutes to figure this out I guess. Any help is appreciated.
Actually, it probably wouldn't have worked anyway (www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-card-transactions-purchase-date-and-post-date/)

But it's now 2016, meaning everyone are now eligible for the $100 bonus again.
If you picked an airline in the past you default to that airline, and you have until the end of January to pick a different one (I think, don't sue me if I'm wrong on this).
Personally, I had United last year and today/tomorrow will be doing the purchase to get the $100 credit. In case it doesn't work (for some reason) I have until the end of January to pick a new airline (probably AA) and get the credit through them.

SickStashBro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Actually, it probably wouldn't have worked anyway (www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-card-transactions-purchase-date-and-post-date/)

But it's now 2016, meaning everyone are now eligible for the $100 bonus again.
If you picked an airline in the past you default to that airline, and you have until the end of January to pick a different one (I think, don't sue me if I'm wrong on this).
Personally, I had United last year and today/tomorrow will be doing the purchase to get the $100 credit. In case it doesn't work (for some reason) I have until the end of January to pick a new airline (probably AA) and get the credit through them.

Strange he posted this. I double checked with both Discover (for the quarterly bonus) and American Express (for the airline credit reimbursement) yesterday and both reassured me that only date of purchase matters.

Turnbull

• Stubble
Yes, I assumed the purchase date was what counted. My problem is I don't have a smartphone and it looks like the Mileage Plus X thing can only be installed on a smartphone. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
Yes, I assumed the purchase date was what counted. My problem is I don't have a smartphone and it looks like the Mileage Plus X thing can only be installed on a smartphone. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
Yes, my understanding is it can only be installed on a smartphone.  When I was first trying to use my credit, I had a phone that was too out of date to download new apps, so this option wasn't available to me, either.
ETA: Sorry, forgot that tablets are a thing - it will work on a tablet, too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 02:03:31 PM by NotJen »

turketron

• Pencil Stache
Just logged in and noticed my 50k points had posted! I also put through my 2016 calendar year gift card via the Mileage Plus app, so I'll check back in a few days to make sure the credit for that one goes through as well.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
followup: I'd prefer cash for the points if possible, does anyone have experience with miles broker sites? Do you actually give them login access to your Amex account so they can use the points, or do I just log in and transfer the points to their FF account for a specific Airline?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Note that the whole operation only takes a few minutes and isn't tied to a specific device. If you can borrow a smartphone or tablet from a friend or family for 10 minutes, you will be able to do it and can have them remove the app immediately after.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
followup: I'd prefer cash for the points if possible, does anyone have experience with miles broker sites? Do you actually give them login access to your Amex account so they can use the points, or do I just log in and transfer the points to their FF account for a specific Airline?

I sold mine to The Miles Broker.  They have you create an Aeroplan/Air Canada account and transfer the points there.  You give them the login for that account, they verify the miles are there, and they'll send you money via Paypal right away.

They gave me $625 for 50,000 miles.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:00:21 AM by kpd905 »

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
Used the Mileage Plus app to buy a gift card on Dec 26th. I looked on the 31st and there was no credit, but when I logged in yesterday, it was there backdated to the 31st.

Enough

• Stubble
Purchased the gift card on 12/28 and received the credit on January 1st.  Anyone know if that purchase&reimbursement will count for the 2015 or 2016 calendar year?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Everyone, please do your research before selling your points to a broker. Stories about them abound online. This is a direct violation of the terms and conditions of all virtual currencies under the sun. You may not get caught, but be ready to live with the consequences if you are. There are 4 main rewards programs out there, AMEX being one of them. Ask yourself if it's really worth jeopardizing years of lucrative offers for fast cash.

YMMV.

Turnbull

• Stubble
Note that the whole operation only takes a few minutes and isn't tied to a specific device. If you can borrow a smartphone or tablet from a friend or family for 10 minutes, you will be able to do it and can have them remove the app immediately after.

Thanks, Paul. I may try to do that for my 2016 credit.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
Everyone, please do your research before selling your points to a broker. Stories about them abound online. This is a direct violation of the terms and conditions of all virtual currencies under the sun. You may not get caught, but be ready to live with the consequences if you are. There are 4 main rewards programs out there, AMEX being one of them. Ask yourself if it's really worth jeopardizing years of lucrative offers for fast cash.

Thanks, I'm definitely weighing this when I decide what to do with them. Ideally, I'd love cash for the miles so I can use my future travel purchases to help meet minimum spending without requiring manufactured spending. But, since MS is probably the more "legitimate" and legal route I might have to resort to that I guess.

Making Cents

• Stubble

Thanks, I'm definitely weighing this when I decide what to do with them. Ideally, I'd love cash for the miles so I can use my future travel purchases to help meet minimum spending without requiring manufactured spending. But, since MS is probably the more "legitimate" and legal route I might have to resort to that I guess.

I just sold my points last night.  Took about 15 minutes to sell them to TheMilesBroker, ended up getting $625 for 50,000 points.  Instant Paypal payment.

How did it work, did you have to book a ticket for someone else?

You create an Air Canada/Aeroplan account, transfer the points there.  So no risk of Amex banning you.  If I got banned from having an Air Canada account, I wouldn't care.

Just a point to consider if you didn't see it the first time around--it is the miles program you transfer to (and then sell from), not AMEX's, whose policy you break and risk being banned from. I also followed the strategy above of transferring to Aeroplan and selling those miles. There were no repercussions from Air Canada but since I don't use their program it was not a worry in either case. YMMV.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Anyone get the 2016 airline credit yet?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Yup.

turketron

• Pencil Stache

Yep! Transaction was on the 1st, credit just came through today.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
Yes. Purchased Jan 2nd, credit posted today. Spending is now at nearly $1200. Welp looks like this one is done. Thanks for the heads up!

Now waiting for my BoA card to arrive to get the $175 bonus for $500 spend.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Mine asked for a PIN to complete the purchase..I don't remember setting one up, but I entered what it would likely be and then the app errored out. I'll try again later.

Edit: Ah, it wanted my password, not PIN. Done!  That's $140 from this promo, plus $45 ($15 per card) from the earlier $15-back-with-$60 purchase promo. I'm sitting at a $304 balance now and have nothing I need to get, so I should be set with Amazon purchases for a while :D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:54:22 AM by JLee »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Yes. Purchased Jan 2nd, credit posted today. Spending is now at nearly $1200. Welp looks like this one is done. Thanks for the heads up!

Now waiting for my BoA card to arrive to get the $175 bonus for $500 spend.

Do you have a link (or referral link) for the BoA card? I want to get the Chase AARP for $200 back / $500 spend as well...but $175 is nice too!

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache

frances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Questions: Between the two of us, my SO and I now have $400 worth of Lowe's gift cards to use. To redeem them I'm assuming I just have the cashier scan the barcode on my phone via the app, is that correct? And does anyone know if there would be a problem with us having 4 gift cards scanned at one time for a large purchase? We were also hoping to using a 10% off coupon at the time of our purchase, which I'm also worried might be called into question. Anyone have any experience doing something similar?

Also, just to offer a few more data points for 2016, my SO and I have both received $100 credits using this method in January and both of ours took only 2 or 3 days to post. His credit was posted more recently and he got it on January 7.

Thanks again to the OP for sharing this offer. I will continue checking this forum thread for offers in hopes of seeing other good ones shared, as flyertalk is a bit overwhelming to me...

kudy

• Pencil Stache
Questions: Between the two of us, my SO and I now have $400 worth of Lowe's gift cards to use. To redeem them I'm assuming I just have the cashier scan the barcode on my phone via the app, is that correct? And does anyone know if there would be a problem with us having 4 gift cards scanned at one time for a large purchase? We were also hoping to using a 10% off coupon at the time of our purchase, which I'm also worried might be called into question. Anyone have any experience doing something similar?

As a former cashier, I wouldn't think twice about someone using a coupon + gift cards to pay for something - it shouldn't be a problem!

act0fgod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

The only problem we've had is sometimes the barcode won't scan off the phone so we have to have them manually enter the numbers.  It takes awhile, especially since we usually get the gift cards in $50 increments, but usually only the other people in line seem to be bothered.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Writing to say I received the $100 credit for the Amazon gift card for 2016. Yayaya

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
I got the email today that I have completed the spending requirements and will have my 50k points in the next 6-8 weeks.

Nothing to do now until I call to hopefully downgrade in November or so.

Making Cents

• Stubble
Signed my spouse up for this last fall and it was the best cc deal all year. I'd like to repeat this in my name but haven't had any luck getting the 50k offer in the last 3 or 4 weeks. 25k over 3 mo for 2k spend every time.

Bumping this in case someone out there can confirm that it hasn't dried up.

If it has gone away, I think I read somewhere that it comes and goes pretty frequently. Can anyone comment either way?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Signed my spouse up for this last fall and it was the best cc deal all year. I'd like to repeat this in my name but haven't had any luck getting the 50k offer in the last 3 or 4 weeks. 25k over 3 mo for 2k spend every time.

Bumping this in case someone out there can confirm that it hasn't dried up.

If it has gone away, I think I read somewhere that it comes and goes pretty frequently. Can anyone comment either way?

Well I just tried it (but I can't get it because I got the PRG bonus before) and it showed up as 50k points for $3k spend. That's new to me, I've always seen 25k for $2k, and the occasional 50k for $1k, but never a 50k for $3k

Making Cents

• Stubble
Thanks, johnny847. I will keep trying.

charis

• Magnum Stache
Just wanted to report that I finally got the 50K for $1K offer last week.  After many other attempts, I gave up, but then it came up one the first try last week.  I got the card quickly - 3 or 4 days I think.  I had already downloaded the app and chosen United as my airline on the AMEX webpage.  I added the card to the app and purchases a $100 Amazon card (which coded as travel-airlines for United) on the 17th.  Based on other reports, I expect the credit tomorrow. 

littleqt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Wow, this a great deal. Has anyone recently seen the offer of 50k pts for spending 1k over three months? However many refreshes I do, I still see spending 3k as a requirement.

charis

• Magnum Stache
Wow, this a great deal. Has anyone recently seen the offer of 50k pts for spending 1k over three months? However many refreshes I do, I still see spending 3k as a requirement.

Um yeah, read the post above yours.

littleqt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Um yeah, read the post above yours.

Hey, I did see it, and it appears it worked for you at least a few days ago. I tried loading the page about 50 times today and it didn't yet appear. I'll keep trying though and update as needed.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
I haven't received my airline reimbursement for 2016 yet.  Looking through this thread I see others waited a bit in the past so i'm not too worried.  I placed the order on 1/10/2016 and its coded as:

MPX*AMAZON.COM 1-800-421-4655 TX

$100.00
Doing business as:
MILEAGEPLUS X
233 S WACKER DR
STE 430
CHICAGO
IL
60606-6462
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (THE)
Additional Information: xxxxxxxxxxxxxWWW.UNITED.COM
UNITED AIRLINES
Reference: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Category: Travel - Airline
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:59:02 AM by OneCoolCat »

charis

• Magnum Stache
That is exactly how mine looks in my transactions.  I have not receive reimbursement yet (three days out), but I will update.

charis

• Magnum Stache
That is exactly how mine looks in my transactions.  I have not receive reimbursement yet (three days out), but I will update.

Reimbursement posted yesterday.

charis

• Magnum Stache
Can anyone comment on whether the airline credit is deducted from the $1K min spend to get the bonus?  I am right at 1K with some change, but $900 if it is.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
Can anyone comment on whether the airline credit is deducted from the $1K min spend to get the bonus?  I am right at 1K with some change, but $900 if it is.

Credits do not take away from the minimum spend. With the airline reimbursement and 2 other credits worth $25 together I paid my only statement with $875.50 and hit the minimum spend.

livingthedream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Becoming Financially Independent

Reimbursement posted yesterday.

I've done this successfully this month with smaller increments - $35, $35, and $30 per the advice I read in another forum to make it look like smaller airline fees. Doesn't sound like it makes a difference from the comments here. Get it while it lasts seems like they will find out about this loophole and close at some point.

wrangler05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #241 on: February 02, 2016, 01:22:53 PM »
I just sold my points last night.  Took about 15 minutes to sell them to TheMilesBroker, ended up getting $625 for 50,000 points.  Instant Paypal payment.

I tried to contact them, logged in couple of quotes yesterday and called them today. Someone answered, took my info and said someone else will call with a quote. Its almost 6 hours and no call yet. Did you experience the same?

Making Cents

• Stubble
« Reply #242 on: February 02, 2016, 05:40:05 PM »

I tried to contact them, logged in couple of quotes yesterday and called them today. Someone answered, took my info and said someone else will call with a quote. Its almost 6 hours and no call yet. Did you experience the same?

I did it all by email and got fairly immediate replies. Once I decided what to convert the points to before selling, the whole thing only took a few minutes. They never took my phone number.

wrangler05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #243 on: February 02, 2016, 08:39:36 PM »

I did it all by email and got fairly immediate replies. Once I decided what to convert the points to before selling, the whole thing only took a few minutes. They never took my phone number.

I am not sure what's happening with them. I called them again, someone took my details and told that someone else will call with a quote. same story. I am looking for other alternatives now. Can you please suggest any?

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #244 on: February 04, 2016, 09:43:51 AM »
My statement closes next week.  What have people done recently with the points? 

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #245 on: February 04, 2016, 05:40:46 PM »
Personally I'm hoarding them for now. I should have 70K pretty soon, which is enough for two round trips to Hawaii.

Making Cents

• Stubble
« Reply #246 on: February 04, 2016, 07:28:46 PM »

I am not sure what's happening with them. I called them again, someone took my details and told that someone else will call with a quote. same story. I am looking for other alternatives now. Can you please suggest any?

Hmmm.... I can't really offer any advice because that was my only experience with them. If your heart is set on cash rather than miles, etc and you don't want the AMEX cash back rate, then the only other thing I can add is that I transferred to Air Canada (Aeroplan) before selling. Good luck.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: February 05, 2016, 06:33:38 AM »
I filled out their form and got an email back in a day or two - once they emailed me back, everything happened pretty fast.  I was offered $500 for 60k AA points.

life is short

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #248 on: February 05, 2016, 07:56:33 AM »
I finally got the 50k offer today after weeks of trying. Finally made my account here to share the details. I had tried 3 computers, 7 total browsers, over 50 attempts and none worked. I got it today by heading to www.americanexpress.com (on Firefox not incognito for the record), clicking "CARDS" at the top, Choosing "View All Personal Charge & Credit Cards" from the dropdown, Choosing "Check for Pre-Selected Offers" from the next screen, and filling out the information. Was offered this deal as well as 25k for Everyday and Everyday preferred.

Obviously this probably won't work for everyone, but all the other attempts at card matches recommended to get this offer never worked for me. This did.

Got approved with ~750-770 credit and 37k income. Had applied for Discover It two weeks ago (approved) and Chase SW Premier on Christmas Eve (decision still pending). Probably going to need to look into manufactured spending or buying things for parents/friends if I get approved for the SW card. $1000/month ($2000+$1000 in 90 days) on things I can use a credit card for seems overly luxurious since finding MMM.

Assuming I get the card in by 12/31, anyone know if I will be able to use MPX app to get the Amazon gift card and have the $100 reimbursement count towards 2015? Otherwise I will need to set a reminder to do it again in a year if I end up canceling the card.

I can verify that this worked for me as well. I couldn't get the offer by refreshing or trying different browsers, but after entering in my info I was pre-approved. Looking forward to getting this card. I'll be trying the mileageplus x app for the credit, but if it doesn't work I'm doing some travel this summer anyway.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #249 on: February 09, 2016, 11:55:43 AM »
I filled out their form and got an email back in a day or two - once they emailed me back, everything happened pretty fast.  I was offered $500 for 60k AA points.

Did you take them up on their offer?   I've gotten a few quotes as well, but nothing as high as $625 as suggested in the OP.