Author Topic: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months  (Read 105799 times)

Megma

• Pencil Stache
Re: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2015, 08:10:14 AM »
Thanks for the info on this points deal!!  I tried several times from my IPad and kept getting the 25K deal.  It only took one try from the IMac and I got the 50K deal. 

I also tried many times over a 2-day period on my ipad with no luck, one time on my desk top and I got a 40k offer, one more try and jackpot 50k offer! Pesky ipad.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
Re: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 08:16:13 AM »
I think I might be going with the SW gift cards.

I was hoping the Amazon GC through MPX would work but it seems they fixed that.

I must have slipped through just in time. It was only a week and a half ago that MPX worked for me. I understand that AA gift cards work as well, but United GCs definitely don't. Fortunately, their gift registry is a clever work-around.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2015, 08:26:04 AM »
Well I still haven't gotten that $100 credit yet, and the charge posted on 8/27.  Getting a little nervous now.

I just saw this on the signup page:

"American Express relies on accurate airline transaction data to identify incidental fee purchases. If you do not see a credit for a qualifying incidental purchase on your eligible Card after 4 weeks, simply call the number on the back of your Card. See terms & conditions for more details."

So apparently they might not give you a credit for up to 4 weeks, if it doesn't show up, maybe you can still get if you call. Though when you call they might tell you it's not eligible. Worth a shot.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2015, 01:15:57 PM »
I got the 25k/$2k a few times, but 50k/$1k finally showed up. It says current cardholders may not be eligible, but I'm going to see what happens. Thanks!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2015, 01:25:19 PM »
I got the 25k/$2k a few times, but 50k/$1k finally showed up. It says current cardholders may not be eligible, but I'm going to see what happens. Thanks!

Yeah strictly speaking, the language they use would mean that if you have any personal Amex card, then you're ineligible for the signup bonus on any other personal Amex card.

However, this has not been enforced.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2015, 01:26:19 PM »

Yeah strictly speaking, the language they use would mean that if you have any personal Amex card, then you're ineligible for the signup bonus on any other personal Amex card.

Oh good, I was wondering the same thing, as I also have another amex, but thought it was worth a shot.

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2015, 02:00:10 PM »

Oh good, I was wondering the same thing, as I also have another amex, but thought it was worth a shot.

Good to hear it has not been enforced. I have never had a personal amex but do have a corporate amex, which I didn't even think about when applying. I just logged onto the Amex website under the credentials I established for the personal card and I already had points/miles...from my corporate card use.  I'm hoping I will still be eligible for the bonus miles because I would not have bothered otherwise.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2015, 02:13:33 PM »

Good to hear it has not been enforced. I have never had a personal amex but do have a corporate amex, which I didn't even think about when applying. I just logged onto the Amex website under the credentials I established for the personal card and I already had points/miles...from my corporate card use.  I'm hoping I will still be eligible for the bonus miles because I would not have bothered otherwise.

They could change their mind at any time and decide to enforce the rules.

If that happens you still get the $100x2 airline credits from the card, so it's still something, though 50k MR points can be worth $1k with the right itinerary on an airline.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2015, 03:38:31 PM »

If that happens you still get the $100x2 airline credits from the card, so it's still something, though 50k MR points can be worth $1k with the right itinerary on an airline.
Are the Amex points something that should be exported to another program, or used directly?  I have ~40k in Chase points as well, which I'm using for travel due to the 25% bonus.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2015, 03:44:46 PM »
It has been six days and still no card.

As a millenial, I am outraged. AMEX is so not fetch.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2015, 04:45:48 PM »

You must have bad luck. The last time I had an Amex card compromised, they overnighted me a new one.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2015, 05:22:18 PM »

Are the Amex points something that should be exported to another program, or used directly?  I have ~40k in Chase points as well, which I'm using for travel due to the 25% bonus.

To redeem as cash, you get 0.6 cents per point. To redeem for travel through their portal, you get 1 cent per point. To redeem at some specific merchants such as McDonald's and Uber, you can get 1 cent per point.
If you want to get more than one cent per point, the only way is to transfer to an airline or hotel partner (and even then, the more than one cent per point is not guaranteed, it all depends on the hotel/airline.)

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2015, 07:40:40 PM »

You must have bad luck. The last time I had an Amex card compromised, they overnighted me a new one.

At some point you might want to consider you have been compromised?  I applied/was approved Monday and today my card showed up in a fairly obvious and fancy box.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2015, 07:57:47 PM »
Just got approved. Student, $20k annual income. ~~700 credit score.

lol.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2015, 10:58:56 AM »
I've got bad news for you guys.... the post is for the Amex platinum but the airline fee credit works essentially the same way as the PRG except it's $200 instead of $100
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-platinum-200-airline-incidental-reimbursement-no-longer-being-triggered-by-gift-cards/

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2015, 11:14:54 AM »
In the absolute worst case scenario, we can all just use our credit to buy rounds of drinks for our neighbors on the plane.

That should make for better in-flight entertainment.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2015, 11:26:19 AM »
In the absolute worst case scenario, we can all just use our credit to buy rounds of drinks for our neighbors on the plane.

So....what flights are you planning on taking? ;)

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2015, 08:51:55 PM »

At some point you might want to consider you have been compromised?  I applied/was approved Monday and today my card showed up in a fairly obvious and fancy box.

Same here, shipped UPS to my house in a snazzy box. I applied a earlier this week and it arrived today.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2015, 07:07:50 PM »
They shipped it UPS express to me. Showed up today in the driveway in a fancy box. Wowza.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2015, 11:38:48 PM »
Whats the best way to use the $100 credit now?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2015, 05:55:55 AM »
If we assume the enforcement of the rules is permanent, you can always do this

But more practically, you could use it for checked bag fees. Though if you're a churner you may already have the credit card for the airline you're flying, and airline cards typically provide one free checked bag.

infinitively29

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2015, 02:17:06 PM »

I read elsewhere that one can contribute to a United Gift Registry and have the purchase be coded in a way that is redeemable as a $100 credit, so I just contributed $100 to my own for 2015.  It is still pending but has been coded as follows:

UNITED AIRLINES
600 JEFFERSON ST
STE 1900
HOUSTON
TX
77002-7324
UNITED STATES
Category: Travel - Airline

Will report back...

See link: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/products/travelproducts/Pages/CashGiftRegistry.aspx

MamaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2015, 02:49:18 PM »
Approved - thank you!   Will look into getting registry credit as well....

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2015, 07:00:38 PM »
There's an offer for the AMEX everyday for 25,000 MR (much higher than it's ever been) that can be had using the same incognito technique.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/amex-everyday

Great card to keep the MR alive when it's time to ditch the expensive PRG from this thread.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2015, 10:35:18 PM »
There's an offer for the AMEX everyday for 25,000 MR (much higher than it's ever been) that can be had using the same incognito technique.

Great card to keep the MR alive when it's time to ditch the expensive PRG from this thread.

You can transfer your points over to this card?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2015, 11:34:47 PM »

You can transfer your points over to this card?

No transfer required. All of your MR points earned from all your Amex cards get pooled into one MR points account.
This is different from how Chase operates their UR points.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2015, 02:23:10 PM »
There's at least one guy on the internet speculating that the recent litany of great AMEX offers (platinum, PRG, and now everyday) is an attempt to boost their numbers and not look like fools when they lose every suburban mom's account in a few months when the costco deal ends.

Nice theory, and a great time for the rest of us.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2015, 03:55:11 PM »
Does closing a credit card after 11 months to avoid annual fee affect your credit history adversely? Kind of the wrong place to ask.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2015, 03:59:11 PM »
Does closing a credit card after 11 months to avoid annual fee affect your credit history adversely? Kind of the wrong place to ask.

No it does not.  As long as it is not your oldest card, and as long as you don't lose a significant percentage of your available credit by shutting down the account.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2015, 04:02:01 PM »

Assuming you drop your spending proportionally, ten years from then it does.
Closed accounts' histories remain on your report for ten years. They also keep aging for the average age of accounts calculation that affects your score.

I said assuming you drop your spending proportionally because for constant spending, your credit utilization will go up. But credit utilization of 20% or less (or I've seen others say 10% or less) is all graded the same. I assume most people here aren't using up much of there credit limit.
Furthermore, the credit utilization metric is merely a snapshot in time - the last month's history. It's not an accumulation of your previous credit utilization history. So even if you have high utilization one month, it's no big deal, just drop it next month.

Guizmo

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2015, 06:39:50 PM »
I ended up getting the Gold and the Everyday. I wasn't able to add the Everyday card to my Gold online account. So now I have 2 online accounts for these AMEX cards. Is this common, or can I merge to have only 1 online account?

BTW, thanks for the recommendations! I'll have 75,000 points soon enough!

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2015, 06:46:50 PM »
You should be able to have both cards under one account - I have an Amex Everyday and a PRG and both are under the same account.
I would try contacting Amex and ask them how to go about combining both online accounts.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2015, 06:48:05 PM »
I ended up getting the Gold and the Everyday. I wasn't able to add the Everyday card to my Gold online account. So now I have 2 online accounts for these AMEX cards. Is this common, or can I merge to have only 1 online account?

BTW, thanks for the recommendations! I'll have 75,000 points soon enough!

Try calling Amex. I have all my Amex cards on one account, but when I activated online access for my 2nd and 3rd ones I specifically said I already have an Amex account so they were merged automatically.
I'd guess that Amex can do this manually one way or another.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2015, 09:08:02 PM »
I didn't even know about the $100 credit when I applied for this card... would be cool to use it, but I don't think I'll have any airline expenses that qualify in the next few months!

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2015, 09:20:44 PM »
I already have 50k southwest rapid rewards points and am getting 50k more soon, any recommendations for what to use the $100 things for?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2015, 09:29:15 PM »
I already have 50k southwest rapid rewards points and am getting 50k more soon, any recommendations for what to use the $100 things for?

Now I'm going off topic, but are you trying to get the companion pass?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2015, 09:40:43 PM »

I saw something about that. I know I'll need to come up with a way to earn more points, after my first card I'm only at 52,000 points and I'll need 110,000 to get the companion pass. I'll need to come up with another 6,000 points, maybe I could somehow use the $100 thing from my Amex PRG card?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2015, 09:48:11 PM »

I saw something about that. I know I'll need to come up with a way to earn more points, after my first card I'm only at 52,000 points and I'll need 110,000 to get the companion pass. I'll need to come up with another 6,000 points, maybe I could somehow use the $100 thing from my Amex PRG card?

No, the $100 airline fee credit from the Amex PRG isn't going to help you with this.*

*Well maybe. Maybe if you buy a Southwest gc, and the $100 credit posts for it, and you use it to book a flight so you can earn 6 points per dollar spent. However, the $100 credit is for airline fees not airline gift cards. Until recently that part wasn't enforced. It now appears that nobody has been able to get the $100 credit for gift card purchases for the past couple weeks. So I wouldn't count on this.

For other ideas on how to get the companion pass: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-the-southwest-companion-pass/

That's a great blog by the way. I recommend following it if you don't already.
Oh yeah and if you aren't already aware of how to use RSS to follow a blog, you should look into that. Makes it much easier to follow multiple blogs.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2015, 09:59:43 PM »

Take our course. We'll get you up to speed on how to hit your spending goals  in 30 days. You must get the companion pass. It's a no brainer.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2015, 10:07:34 PM »

No, the $100 airline fee credit from the Amex PRG isn't going to help you with this.*

*Well maybe. Maybe if you buy a Southwest gc, and the $100 credit posts for it, and you use it to book a flight so you can earn 6 points per dollar spent. However, the $100 credit is for airline fees not airline gift cards. Until recently that part wasn't enforced. It now appears that nobody has been able to get the $100 credit for gift card purchases for the past couple weeks. So I wouldn't count on this.

For other ideas on how to get the companion pass: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-the-southwest-companion-pass/

That's a great blog by the way. I recommend following it if you don't already.
Oh yeah and if you aren't already aware of how to use RSS to follow a blog, you should look into that. Makes it much easier to follow multiple blogs.
Oh, buying rapid rewards points doesn't count towards it, dang

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2015, 11:30:18 PM »
Dude. you can manufacture $6000 spend in about an hour for about 60 bucks or less.

It's not hard. And it's a powerful way to get serious value.

Plus it's fun.

No need to invent the wheel. There are (free) instructions.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2015, 07:39:56 AM »
Dude. you can manufacture $6000 spend in about an hour for about 60 bucks or less.

It's not hard. And it's a powerful way to get serious value.

Plus it's fun.

No need to invent the wheel. There are (free) instructions.

I can vouch for milesdividendmd's course. It's hugely valuable for anyone interested in travel hacking/credit card rewards.

realityinabox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2015, 09:01:11 AM »
I just applied and got denied.  My credit score isn't very high (630ish) since I haven't really had a credit card before.  I have a solid history of paying back student loans, and have a $60k+ salary, so I'm a little surprised I got denied. I did sign up for a card yesterday via my credit union and was approved, so maybe that affected things?  I'm planning to use the CU reward card for a while to try and bump up my credit score, but are there any other recommendations?

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2015, 09:06:29 AM »
I just applied and got denied.  My credit score isn't very high (630ish) since I haven't really had a credit card before.  I have a solid history of paying back student loans, and have a $60k+ salary, so I'm a little surprised I got denied. I did sign up for a card yesterday via my credit union and was approved, so maybe that affected things?  I'm planning to use the CU reward card for a while to try and bump up my credit score, but are there any other recommendations?

You need to work on building up your credit score before applying for any premium credit cards. If it's not in the 700+ range, you're going to get a lot of rejections. Aside from using credit cards and paying them off on time, the only other major thing you can do to build up your credit score is to take out new types of loans: mortgage, car, etc. But for cripes' sake, don't take out a loan just to build your credit score.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2015, 09:10:48 AM »
Thanks Mississippi, glad you liked it!

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
http://www.travelcodex.com/2015/10/it-lives-amex-platinum-reimbursements-for-gift-cards-lives/

:)
So can I get a gift card to pay for the leftover fee (taxes?) that you are required to pay when you use points?

Edit: for air travel
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:36:07 AM by Jeremy E. »

Cessna152

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Got the offer on the first time and then:
"We've received your application, but we can't give you a decision right now." ... hopefully will only take a few minutes to approve like the last guy that got this message.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
http://www.travelcodex.com/2015/10/it-lives-amex-platinum-reimbursements-for-gift-cards-lives/

:)
So can I get a gift card to pay for the leftover fee (taxes?) that you are required to pay when you use points?

Edit: for air travel
Not that I've ever seen - read the T&C for the one you are considering, and try to make a dummy booking. There won't be an option for using a gift card.

Now that I've been exclusively using points to fly, gift cards just aren't useful to me. Some airlines restrict the number of GCs you can use per purchase, too.

Making Cents

• Stubble
^ Maybe so... I had planned them to cover future taxes/fees on award flights too, but even if that is not possible, $200 ($400 if you have a spouse or partner with the card) would get me a free or very cheap (and mile-earning!) round trip flight to major cities - NYC, Boston, DCA which I'll definitely use. Also these don't expire and you can use up to 8 GCs to buy a ticket, so I may just rack them up and save them for future.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!