Author Topic: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months  (Read 105807 times)

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
1.  Apply to the American Express Premier Rewards Gold card. 

Open this link in Incognito mode: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/premier-rewards-gold/

Keep trying until the 50,000 point offer comes up.  I had to try about 10 times.

2.  Get the card, spend $1,000 in 3 months to get your 50,000 Membership Rewards points.

Once you have the points, you have a few options to use them.

• With these points, you can get $500 credit toward a travel purchase through Americanexpress.com/travel.  You can book airfare, hotels, cruises or vacation packages.

• You can transfer to 16 airlines or 4 hotel programs.  It is hard to know what value you'll get from this.

• You can sell the points to a points broker and get about $625 for your 51,000 MR points.  (The site is called TheMilesBroker.com.  Note that doing this might violate terms of American Express.)

3.  So this comes to $625 at the most, where did I get the $825 in the title? 

Well the Amex PRG card just started offering a $100 annual airline fee credit.  This means if you apply now, you can get this credit for both 2015 and 2016.

The method outlined below works as of October 10th, I will try to update this post if that changes

To use this, you pick an airline once you have your card, then you are reimbursed for any purchases through that airline.

The following no longer works:

For best results

Pick United Airlines. 

Download the MileagePlus X app. 

Link your Amex PRG card to this app and buy a $100 Amazon gift card (or any other gift card you want).  This will code as a United purchase, making this purchase free after you are reimbursed for your airline fee credit.

So if you sell your miles and get two $100 gift cards, you get $825 after spending $1,000 on this card.  If you use it for miles or the Amex Travel credit, you'll get somewhere around $700.

Cancel this card before the annual fee hits because it is a hefty one at $195.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:35:05 AM by kpd905 »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Unfortunately I'm already at 30+ attempts and only getting a 25,000 points for $2,000 spend. Shame, because that is one juicy offer indeed.

Maybe there's some geolocation magic behind this?

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Unfortunately I'm already at 30+ attempts and only getting a 25,000 points for $2,000 spend. Shame, because that is one juicy offer indeed.

Maybe try a few different browsers in Incognito/Private modes.  They shouldn't be able to track your location in those modes, so I'm not sure why it isn't working.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
I tried it for the first time in Chrome incognito and got it.  Located in SF.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
Some terms and conditions:
"If you are identified as a current or former American Express Card Member, this offer may not be available to you.
If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Has this worked for people who already have or had  other Amex Cards?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache

Maybe try a few different browsers in Incognito/Private modes.  They shouldn't be able to track your location in those modes, so I'm not sure why it isn't working.
Ha! I tried in chrome (had to install it first, fresh install) and it worked from the first try. Now I'm thinking it may have something to do with my very heavy handed use of adblock rules in my regular browser (firefox), it probably messed with their analytics scripts.

Whatever, thanks for the tip kpd!

"If you are identified as a current or former American Express Card Member, this offer may not be available to you.
If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Don't these caveats usually only apply to folks who've had that exact same card? Hope I didn't just waste a hard pull...

rpr

• Pencil Stache

Don't these caveats usually only apply to folks who've had that exact same card? Hope I didn't just waste a hard pull...
I have already wasted one hard pull earlier this year, Barclays denied me the US Air dividend miles. Plus charged me annual fee. I don't want to waste yet another hard pull, granted this one waives first year annual fee. 

tvan

• Stubble
How hard is it to get approved for this one?

nanu

• Bristles
For Amex personal cards the rule of thumb is you can't EVER get a sign up bonus on the same card twice
For Amex business cards you need to wait 12 (I think) months after getting the bonus if you want to get it again.
This sometimes varies (for example, no need to wait 12 months) depending on the specific terms of the offer - make sure you read the fine print! (and save a screenshot or something, just in case)

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache

As Nanu said, you cannot get this card if you have had this exact card before.  If you have any other Amex cards, you can still get this one.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
Thanks, everyone. I did submit and was approved. Let's see if the bonus posts.

tvan

• Stubble
Well shit I just got declined with a 740 credit score. 93k income.

I have the Costco Amex with a 16k credit limit and $0 balance.

That's the first time I've ever been declined for a cc.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker

Wow, that's surprising. Do you have a lot of recent pulls on your credit report? I took advantage of this offer back in March, and my score was no higher than yours.

tvan

• Stubble

Wow, that's surprising. Do you have a lot of recent pulls on your credit report? I took advantage of this offer back in March, and my score was no higher than yours.

I just opened a chase sapphire card and had a pull from a student loan refinance provider. So maybe that's why.

I will call the reconsideration line once the letter comes they didn't give me a reason on the site.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache

My wife got the "We cannot approve your application at this time."  Then she had an email a few days later saying she was approved.  With your score and income, I think you might get the same.

tvan

• Stubble

My wife got the "We cannot approve your application at this time."  Then she had an email a few days later saying she was approved.  With your score and income, I think you might get the same.

Good to know (and odd). Thank you.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
Worked for me, thanks op, saw a 100k after 2k offer on slick deals too but it was expired, will try to have Gf get this later

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
You can sell the points to a points broker and get about $625 for your 51,000 MR points.  (The site is called TheMilesBroker.com.)

I had no idea this was an option! I just sold 75,000 points that were unused from when my wife and I got the 50,000-point Amex Golds this spring. We got $900 for them! We had to transfer in increments of 25,000, at a rate of $300 per 25,000. Not quite as good a rate as what you quoted, but that's a damn good redemption in my book! Thanks for the recommendation, I couldn't believe how fast and easy it was - money showed up in my PayPal account in minutes, and I already transferred it to my bank!

tvan

• Stubble
So they declined me for that card and now I just got a targeted email offer for the Amex Delta Gold Delta Skymiles. 1k spend, 35k bonus points, and $50 statement credit.

I'll sit on the offer until I learn more about this one.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 10:14:13 PM »
This is s great card and I just applied for it and was approved despite having multiple Amex cards.

For those who can't get the offer to show, this approach may be worth a shot. (Calling in)

http://www.milevalue.com/100k-membership-rewards-for-3k-spending-with-american-express-platinum/?nabe=5869811131219968:1
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 01:20:00 AM by milesdividendmd »

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
So they declined me for that card and now I just got a targeted email offer for the Amex Delta Gold Delta Skymiles. 1k spend, 35k bonus points, and $50 statement credit.

Try opening this link in Incognito mode: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/delta-skymiles

I get a 50k offer + $50 for $1,000 spend.  I had to try about 5 times.

Liz

• Stubble
Very tempting! I've had the Platinum card in the past when they had a 100K sign-up bonus, but I've never had the PRG.

Guizmo

• Bristles

For best results

Pick United Airlines. 

Link your Amex PRG card to this app and buy a $100 Amazon gift card (or any other gift card you want).  This will code as a United purchase, making this purchase free after you are reimbursed for your airline fee credit.

So if you sell your miles and get two $100 gift cards, you get $825 after spending $1,000 on this card.  If you use it for miles or the Amex Travel credit, you'll get somewhere around $700.

Has anyone had success doing this?

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache

For best results

Pick United Airlines. 

Me. 

I bought a $100 Amazon card through MileagePlus X.  Here is what it coded as:

Doing business as:
MILEAGEPLUS X
233 S WACKER DR
STE 430
CHICAGO
IL
60606-6462
UNITED STATES
Additional Information: 24085594 WWW.UNITED.COM
UNITED AIRLINES
Reference: 320152400204511328
Category: Travel - Airline

Just make sure that once you get the card, you choose United as your airline for the fee credit.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:00:19 AM by kpd905 »

Guizmo

• Bristles
Awesome thanks KPD.

I was approved yesterday so hopefully I get the card soon.

nanu

• Bristles

The Delta cards (personal and business) both go up to 50K points every so often, so I wouldn't go for a 35K offer (not sure I would go for a Delta card in general because their plan kinda sucks, but that's a different matter)

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache

For best results

Pick United Airlines. 

Me. 

I bought a $100 Amazon card through MileagePlus X.  Here is what it coded as:

Doing business as:
MILEAGEPLUS X
233 S WACKER DR
STE 430
CHICAGO
IL
60606-6462
UNITED STATES
Additional Information: 24085594 WWW.UNITED.COM
UNITED AIRLINES
Reference: 320152400204511328
Category: Travel - Airline

Just make sure that once you get the card, you choose United as your airline for the fee credit.

It worked for me, too.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Some people are reporting not getting the credit here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/3iumtl/any_recent_within_last_week_datapoints_of_mpx/

I'm sure something else will show up if the MPX route doesn't work...

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Some people are reporting not getting the credit here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/3iumtl/any_recent_within_last_week_datapoints_of_mpx/

I'm sure something else will show up if the MPX route doesn't work...

I'll report if/when I get the credit.  Hopefully this still works.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 02:45:50 PM by kpd905 »

NJAbroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thanks for the info on this points deal!!  I tried several times from my IPad and kept getting the 25K deal.  It only took one try from the IMac and I got the 50K deal.  I was approved without additional info which is odd for me because my address is an APO.  I was a little apprehensive signing up for an AMEX card because I had one before and my account was terminated when I financed a car (pre MMM).  I lost all the points I had been saving for a vacation.  Hopefully it will be a different experience this time.  We are planning a trip to Rome in March and this deal plus my Chase Sapphire points should cover the flight (DUS to FCO) for all 3 of us and most of the hotel for a week.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
I was a little apprehensive signing up for an AMEX card because I had one before and my account was terminated when I financed a car (pre MMM).

What are the details on this?  I've never heard of this happening to anyone.  Did they say you had too much debt-to-income or something?

Andrew928

• Stubble
  • Life Is Good
Just tried it on my work computer right now and got the 50K right off the bat, not sure If I should apply for it or not, already have 2 Credit cards but this is really enticing...Any input?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Just tried it on my work computer right now and got the 50K right off the bat, not sure If I should apply for it or not, already have 2 Credit cards but this is really enticing...Any input?

You only have two? I have eighteen, and my credit history started two years ago. I've reaped:
  • 70k AA miles
  • 60k Amex MR points (50k from this very Amex PRG), of which 58k were transferred to Delta and 2k were transferred to British airways during a 40% bonus promo
  • 50k Southwest miles
  • 55k United miles
  • 22.5k Chase UR points (redeemable for cash at 1 cent per point, or transferrable to airlines for sometimes better value)
  • $771.44 in cash, net of annual fees paid.
And I will be getting after I manufacture spend another $3k on two new cards:
50k British Airways miles
$200

And if I decide to go for another $5k of manufactured spending, I get $250 on yet another card.

The way I look at it is this. Your credit score is an asset. It can get you low interest rates on a mortgage or a car loan (though in like 95%+ of cases, Mustachians should be buying used cars, and probably won't be needing loans for them). If you don't have a plan to get either of those in the future, then you should sign up for as many credit cards as possible, so long as you can meet the minimum spend requirements for the signup bonuses.

If you're not getting some cc bonuses each year while not planning on getting a mortgage soon, you're underutilizing your credit score. Go get some bonuses!

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD

You only have two? I have eighteen, and my credit history started two years ago. I've reaped:
  • 70k AA miles
  • 60k Amex MR points (50k from this very Amex PRG), of which 58k were transferred to Delta and 2k were transferred to British airways during a 40% bonus promo
  • 50k Southwest miles
  • 55k United miles
  • 22.5k Chase UR points (redeemable for cash at 1 cent per point, or transferrable to airlines for sometimes better value)
$200

And if I decide to go for another $5k of manufactured spending, I get $250 on yet another card.

The way I look at it is this. Your credit score is an asset. It can get you low interest rates on a mortgage or a car loan (though in like 95%+ of cases, Mustachians should be buying used cars, and probably won't be needing loans for them). If you don't have a plan to get either of those in the future, then you should sign up for as many credit cards as possible, so long as you can meet the minimum spend requirements for the signup bonuses.

If you're not getting some cc bonuses each year while not planning on getting a mortgage soon, you're underutilizing your credit score. Go get some bonuses!

And this ignores the fact that when your credit utilization ratio goes down, as your available credit goes up, your credit score generally goes up.

I have applied for more than 50 cards in the past 2 years, and my credit score has gone from 760 to 817.

Andrew928

• Stubble
  • Life Is Good
Also, do you guys keep the card active after you use the bonus? I know the first year is waived but for a $195 annual fee I Feel like I get way more use and benefit out of my Wells Fargo Propel 365 AMEX card.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2015, 12:40:56 AM »
You usually cancel or downgrade prior to paying your annual fee.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Also, do you guys keep the card active after you use the bonus? I know the first year is waived but for a $195 annual fee I Feel like I get way more use and benefit out of my Wells Fargo Propel 365 AMEX card.

I keep it open till about month 11, then I call in to try to get a retention bonus. I try to get the annual fee waived. Sometimes they do, but oftentimes they'll offer points instead. Most of the time I don't value the points offered as much as the annual fee that I'd have to pay, so I pass. Still though, it's worth the call - sometimes you'll get the annual fee waived.

By the way, the fact that this PRG is an Amex is pretty valuable. Go link your Amex to Twitter sync to enroll in Amex offers (you'll find some in your account login, but not all of them will show up there).
I've cashed in on offers like $10 off $50 at Home Depot, Lowe's, Office Depot, Staples, or $25 off $250 at Best Buy. For the first three listed I usually get merchant gift cards, like Amazon or Chipotle (man do I love Chipotle). For Best Buy I usually buy Visa gift cards (which have a fee but it's still worth it) and then liquidate them to my Amex Serve.

Doctor of credit estimates he profits about $200/yr with these Amex offers.

Oh yeah and anybody who has any Amex that's administered by Amex (as in, you go to americanexpress.com to look at your charges and pay your bill) should take advantage of the Amex Express checkout offer going on until 9/07 to make $9.51.
Go to Newegg and buy a 49 cent item such as this one. When checking out, don't put in your credit card information like normal. Choose the Amex Express Checkout option. You'll get a $10 statement credit a few days after the charge clears.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
By the way, the fact that this PRG is an Amex is pretty valuable. Go link your Amex to Twitter sync to enroll in Amex offers (you'll find some in your account login, but not all of them will show up there).

+1 for the Amex offers.  I got 3 free Amazon gift cards a week or two ago when they were offering "Spend $15 on Amazon, get $15 back". 

If you see a good offer like this, open each of your Amex cards in a separate tab so you can add the offer to each of them.  Otherwise the offer will disappear once you add it to one card.

Jellyfish

• Stubble
Thanks, OP.  I got the 50K offer on the first try in private mode and was approved...

NJAbroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I was a little apprehensive signing up for an AMEX card because I had one before and my account was terminated when I financed a car (pre MMM).

What are the details on this?  I've never heard of this happening to anyone.  Did they say you had too much debt-to-income or something?

I don't think I ever got an explanation.  It was 2011 and the only thing that changed was the new car purchase.  I'm assuming it was the debt to income ratio.  I was just concerned about the point because that was the only reason I used the card.

NJAbroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

• 70k AA miles
  • 50k Southwest miles
  • 55k United miles
$200

If I plan on getting a mortgage, how soon before should the cc churning stop?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog

• 70k AA miles
  • 50k Southwest miles
  • 55k United miles
$200

If I plan on getting a mortgage, how soon before should the cc churning stop?

Depends on your comfort level. Inquiries stop affecting your score after one year. But they stay on your report for two years. Banks may (probably) take into account more than just your score, and analyze all parts of your credit history.
So to be absolutely safe, two years.

In the end, I don't know how big an impact the number of inquiries will have on your mortgage rate. It may not be that much, if at all. You would think that income and repayment history would be the most important, but unless you actually talk to a banker who has approved mortgages before, you probably won't ever know.
What is true though is that a small increase in your mortgage rate can over the length of your mortgage far exceed the bonuses from credit cards.

sb_NoVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Can I buy both gift cards immediately, or should the 2nd gift card be purchased in 2016?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Can I buy both gift cards immediately, or should the 2nd gift card be purchased in 2016?

You can buy both gift cards immediately, but you won't get a credit for the second one ;) (Assuming both are $100 gc's).

The $100 airline credit is per calendar year

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Well I still haven't gotten that $100 credit yet, and the charge posted on 8/27.  Getting a little nervous now.

missundecided

• Bristles
The offer came up on the 4th try, but I didn't get an instant yes or no, but a "we'll send you a letter with our decision in 14 days." Should I wait or call the recon line?

Edit: just got an approval email. Whew. Thanks, kpd!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:02:18 PM by missundecided »

rpr

• Pencil Stache
Got the card today. Was sent by next day UPS. And the box is fancy as well.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2015, 04:59:24 AM »
Got the card today. Was sent by next day UPS. And the box is fancy as well.
I'm keeping all my cards to make a collage someday, it should make an interesting patchwork. Some collect their concert tickets, I collect plastic.

So grungy.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 07:21:51 AM »
Well I still haven't gotten that $100 credit yet, and the charge posted on 8/27.  Getting a little nervous now.

That sucks. It's obviously a mistake that this was ever credited. I hope for your sake that they didn't fix it!

BUT- If the credit doesn't post, there is another way to get value from the $100 airline credit. Click here and create a gift registry. Use your Amex Card to contribute to the gift registry. It will show up as "United Airlines Houston, TX" and will almost certainly be credited back. You can use your $100 gift registry to purchase airfare at any time in the future.

Guizmo

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2015, 07:51:06 AM »
I think I might be going with the SW gift cards.

I was hoping the Amazon GC through MPX would work but it seems they fixed that.