Author Topic: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months  (Read 105815 times)

mizchief

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I used themilesbroker.com to sell my points.  I sold two allotments of 50K points and received $625 for each of them.    I requested a quote from the website, agreed to 1.25 cents/point and then followed his instructions.  Sent a screenshot to show that the points had transferred correctly and the agreed payment hit my paypal account in 5 mins.  Themilesbroker was very responsive when I was having trouble at first figuring out what to do. 

I originally signed up for the card hoping to use the points myself for travel, but the dates I wanted were not available, so I decided to sell the points and get cash. 

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
Re: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months
« Reply #301 on: November 03, 2016, 10:22:50 PM »
Belated thank you to kpd905 for writing up this thread. I got the works and am ready to get one last Amazon $100 credit in January before I cancel the card. Hubby too. Much appreciated!

Megma

• Pencil Stache
Re: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months
« Reply #302 on: December 22, 2016, 12:38:14 PM »
I signed up for this promo last year after seeing this thread and cancelled the card earlier this summer. Today, I got a targeted offer for this same card in the mail. It doesn't seem to say that you're only eligible once or can only get it every two years...anyone else get one of these?

It might be worth applying to see since the offer is worth over $600.

Once per lifetime. Not worth the pull or effort.

I don't get why people say this.  $600+ to do the same spending on a credit card that I normally do is certainly worth the zero effort of a 1 min 30 sec online application.  A pull might be a probably for a few people, but if you already have excellent credit and no immediately loan needs, it's pretty meaningless and credit bounces back quickly.

"Once per lifetime." If you aren't going to get the $600, it's not worth the effort (to meet the minimum) or pull or AmEx slot.

Oh, they'll give you the card. They just won't give you the bonus after you've met the minimum.

YMMV with targeted offers. As Nanu wrote, keep good records and be prepared to escalate with the CFPB.

I just wanted to report back that I did sign up with the targeted offer and Amex has just credited me with the 50,000 mile bonus. So I got it two years in a row. I did not have to escalate, ask or go through any additional hoops.

Maybe they screwed up? Or maybe they know what they are doing since the offer I got did not say the "once per lifetime" exclusion anywhere, regardless I am happy.  YMMV.

I will hang on to my documentation until I use all my points just in case :)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #303 on: December 22, 2016, 12:45:15 PM »
Belated thank you to kpd905 for writing up this thread. I got the works and am ready to get one last Amazon $100 credit in January before I cancel the card. Hubby too. Much appreciated!

The United MileagePlusX trick doesn't work anymore.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #304 on: December 27, 2016, 10:47:54 AM »

Can anyone expound on this issue a bit more?  I am also waiting for Jan to due this and close the card.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #305 on: December 27, 2016, 11:55:27 AM »

Can anyone expound on this issue a bit more?  I am also waiting for Jan to due this and close the card.

There used to be a workaround to maximizing the $100 airline fee credit. You could pick United as your airline and purchase any gift card through the United MileagePlusX app and get it reimbursed for the credit. Amex has since closed this loophole.

You can however still buy airline gift cards from your airline of choice and get it reimbursed. I got my southwest gift cards from Southwest reimbursed.

Jet9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I got a $100 Alaska Airlines gift card reimbursed from Amex this year. I also called and asked to have the fee waived; they gave me $100 in credit, so I have the card for another year until I find the right place to transfer/spend the miles.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #307 on: February 27, 2017, 07:41:32 PM »
1.  Apply to the American Express Premier Rewards Gold card. 

Open this link in Incognito mode: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/premier-rewards-gold/

Keep trying until the 50,000 point offer comes up.  I had to try about 10 times.

2.  Get the card, spend $1,000 in 3 months to get your 50,000 Membership Rewards points.

Once you have the points, you have a few options to use them.

• With these points, you can get $500 credit toward a travel purchase through Americanexpress.com/travel.  You can book airfare, hotels, cruises or vacation packages.

• You can transfer to 16 airlines or 4 hotel programs.  It is hard to know what value you'll get from this.

• You can sell the points to a points broker and get about $625 for your 51,000 MR points.  (The site is called TheMilesBroker.com.  Note that doing this might violate terms of American Express.)

3.  So this comes to $625 at the most, where did I get the $825 in the title? 

Well the Amex PRG card just started offering a $100 annual airline fee credit.  This means if you apply now, you can get this credit for both 2015 and 2016.

The method outlined below works as of October 10th, I will try to update this post if that changes

To use this, you pick an airline once you have your card, then you are reimbursed for any purchases through that airline.

The following no longer works:

For best results

Pick United Airlines. 

Download the MileagePlus X app. 

Link your Amex PRG card to this app and buy a $100 Amazon gift card (or any other gift card you want).  This will code as a United purchase, making this purchase free after you are reimbursed for your airline fee credit.

So if you sell your miles and get two $100 gift cards, you get $825 after spending $1,000 on this card.  If you use it for miles or the Amex Travel credit, you'll get somewhere around $700.

Cancel this card before the annual fee hits because it is a hefty one at $195.
Any reason why you struck out MieagePlus app purchase? Is the purchase no longer coded as "Travel" by AMEX? What's the best alternative to get the free $100 airline credit?

Also, I am having a hard time trying to figure out where to transfer the AMEX points. I can transfer to Delta, but I hardly fly Delta these days. Would be great if someone can shed some light.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #308 on: February 27, 2017, 07:53:03 PM »
I think it does code as travel, but it doesn't code as an airline expense, and doesn't qualify for the $100 credit.  You can still buy airline gc directly from the airlines though.

Don't focus too much on where MR points can be transferred. Let sites like awardhacker.com figure that out for you.

That link has a search for flights from ATL to ICN (that's Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson to Seoul Incheon) in economy, with up to one transfer, with airlines that have miles transferable from the Amex MR program. The search result returns us flights from ANA, DL, AC, AF, BA, CX, and SQ. In this case, ANA is the cheapest in terms of miles required (but not necessarily in your total cost - you still need to check how much is charged in taxes and fees).

The search engine is also capable of searching for flights using miles transferrable from Chase UR, Citi TY, SPG, any individual airline, or any combination therein.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #309 on: February 27, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »
I think it does code as travel, but it doesn't code as an airline expense, and doesn't qualify for the $100 credit.  You can still buy airline gc directly from the airlines though.

Don't focus too much on where MR points can be transferred. Let sites like awardhacker.com figure that out for you.

That link has a search for flights from ATL to ICN (that's Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson to Seoul Incheon) in economy, with up to one transfer, with airlines that have miles transferable from the Amex MR program. The search result returns us flights from ANA, DL, AC, AF, BA, CX, and SQ. In this case, ANA is the cheapest in terms of miles required (but not necessarily in your total cost - you still need to check how much is charged in taxes and fees).

The search engine is also capable of searching for flights using miles transferrable from Chase UR, Citi TY, SPG, any individual airline, or any combination therein.
That's a great website! Any thoughts on using MR for hotel? Any worthwhile choices?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #310 on: February 27, 2017, 08:08:55 PM »

That's a great website! Any thoughts on using MR for hotel? Any worthwhile choices?

I have zero experience actually making hotel bookings with points, but here are my general thoughts

1) Hotel transfer partners are Hilton, at 1.5 Hilton points to 1 MR, Choice Privileges at 1:1, and SPG at 3 MR to 1 SPG point.
2) Generally speaking, hotel points are worth far less than airline miles. So generally speaking, transferring MR to a hotel is of worse value than transferring to an airline
3) If The Points Guy's valuations are to accepted as truth, then transferring to Hilton would mean 0.75 cents/MR, to Hilton would mean 0.6 cents/MR, and to SPG would mean 0.9 cents/MR.
4) Even if The Points Guy's valuations were correct, this still doesn't change the fact that some redemptions are better than others. I guarantee you that you can find a redemption at a Hilton property that is better than 0.75 cents/MR.
5) It's probably worthwhile to check how many MRs it would require to book a hotel using points, but I would set your expectations low.

Furthermore, if you do get a redemption of less than 1 cent/MR, you shouldn't transfer the MR to the hotel program and instead just book the hotel through the Amex travel portal at 1 cent/MR, assuming the Amex travel portal isn't charging you significantly more than just booking directly.  (but even then, unless you've got a ton of MR sitting around, I'd probably save them for a redemption that's better than 1 cent/MR)

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #311 on: February 27, 2017, 08:12:12 PM »

I have zero experience actually making hotel bookings with points, but here are my general thoughts

1) Hotel transfer partners are Hilton, at 1.5 Hilton points to 1 MR, Choice Privileges at 1:1, and SPG at 3 MR to 1 SPG point.
2) Generally speaking, hotel points are worth far less than airline miles. So generally speaking, transferring MR to a hotel is of worse value than transferring to an airline
3) If The Points Guy's valuations are to accepted as truth, then transferring to Hilton would mean 0.75 cents/MR, to Hilton would mean 0.6 cents/MR, and to SPG would mean 0.9 cents/MR.
4) Even if The Points Guy's valuations were correct, this still doesn't change the fact that some redemptions are better than others. I guarantee you that you can find a redemption at a Hilton property that is better than 0.75 cents/MR.
5) It's probably worthwhile to check how many MRs it would require to book a hotel using points, but I would set your expectations low.

Furthermore, if you do get a redemption of less than 1 cent/MR, you shouldn't transfer the MR to the hotel program and instead just book the hotel through the Amex travel portal at 1 cent/MR, assuming the Amex travel portal isn't charging you significantly more than just booking directly.  (but even then, unless you've got a ton of MR sitting around, I'd probably save them for a redemption that's better than 1 cent/MR)
That was helpful and thanks for confirming my concern with hotel transfer. I book all reward flights exclusively using UR. I think I will just use points for UBER, since I use that service quite often.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #312 on: November 24, 2017, 05:29:20 PM »
I thought I would let you know that I got a 50,000MR for $2,000 spend to come up for this card today. As others have said, the gift card purchase doesn't work anymore, but the $100/yr credit can still be used for specific airlines.

I used an private browser session and it showed up from the main site - Cards - Charge and Credit Cards. It was listed on the first page.

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #313 on: November 27, 2017, 07:07:55 AM »
I also received a 50k MR sign bonus with a 1k minimum spend in 3 months.  I signed up and was approved two days ago.  This is my first Amex card so it's possible that triggered the 1k minimum spend.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #314 on: November 27, 2017, 02:14:54 PM »
I'm also seeing the 50k with $2k spend in 3 months, however I'm hesitant to apply as I already applied for this card once before- I applied in 10/2015 and canceled the card in Nov 2016. The terms mention that they may withhold rewards points in the event of the following:

If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome bonus offer in anyway or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome bonus offer(s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount)

I canceled just a few weeks over a year after getting it, so I'm concerned this will flag me as ineligible for the points. I'll update here if I do decide to apply, and if/when I hit the spend, whether or not I get the points!

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #315 on: November 27, 2017, 02:26:01 PM »
Amex tends to be once-per-lifetime.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #316 on: November 27, 2017, 02:49:29 PM »
Amex tends to be once-per-lifetime.
Unless you get a targeted mailer that excludes the once-per-lifetime language.  I just closed my second Premier Rewards Gold card.  I received 50,000 MR as an opening bonus on the first one and 25,000 MR as an opening bonus on the second one.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #317 on: November 29, 2017, 07:53:04 AM »
Also, lifetime is typically defined as 7-9 years - don't remember where I read that at though.