Author Topic: What I miss most after FIRE  (Read 6035 times)

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
What I miss most after FIRE
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:54:52 PM »
I'm 4 1/2 months post-FIRE and what I miss most is the planning financially for FIRE. I realized today that I really miss the spreadsheets, calculations, planning for withdraws, checking numbers, calculating "what-if" scenarios, and so on. I'm of course enjoying no alarm clock/commute/boss, working on my own projects, doing the things I want to with my time, but I really do miss "messing with numbers."

BarbeRiche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • BarbeRiche
Re: What I miss most after FIRE
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 02:57:06 AM »
Start a small advising business for people that want to FIRE!

You'll get to help them do their calculations and also need to rebalance your situation with the extra income :P

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 04:28:22 AM »
Surely you can keep tweaking your spreadsheet with actual versus planned outcomes and produce new projections as required. Well, that's what I do with mine so I still get my fix!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 07:37:21 AM »
I agree.. there is always a new way to calculate and end of the world scenario that you can lie awake and worry about..:)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 11:50:24 AM »
I think I'll miss the paycheck!  Never been too interested in spreadsheets, but I have  become pretty accustomed to watching my stache steadily grow.

BBub

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 08:13:30 PM »
Hmm that's interesting.   I get it.  Not FIREd, but I do love tinkering with the numbers & watching the stash grow.

concealed stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Do you have a permit for that thing?
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 05:50:24 PM »
The pleasure is in the chase! Well, I hope that's not entirely true...

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 11:16:53 PM »
I'm 4 1/2 months post-FIRE and what I miss most is the planning financially for FIRE. I realized today that I really miss the spreadsheets, calculations, planning for withdraws, checking numbers, calculating "what-if" scenarios, and so on. I'm of course enjoying no alarm clock/commute/boss, working on my own projects, doing the things I want to with my time, but I really do miss "messing with numbers."

Sounds like you have an itch that you can't scratch.

Reminds me of when I switched from Microsoft to Linux. No more anti-virus updates, scans, and defrag. For a year or so I was nagged by the feeling that I was forgetting something.

Then it became the new, and better, normal.

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 11:23:55 PM »
Must agree, I'm not FIRE, but pretty much running on auto-pilot now. I also run a local forum, so when someone comes with a real world example I get so excited running the numbers for them!

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 05:13:22 AM »
Now that I'm retired I find that I kind of miss my job and the people I worked with!  The problem is that the reason I retired was because the work load was so bad, but if the conditions had been ideal, I would have stayed because it was such interesting work (microbiology). 

I am still trying to develop a routine because I tend to spend a lot of time online which I feel is kind of a waste of time.  I have been making sure that I at least accomplish something everyday such as organizing my house and getting rid of stuff, but I could be working a little harder.  I didn't have a problem in the summer as my garden kept me really busy, but now that it is going into winter, I have less things to do.

Oh, well, first world problems I know!                               Miss Prim

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 05:55:24 AM »
Haven't found something to miss yet, but I'll keep my eyes open.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.