Author Topic: Today I did not "work" at a job... ALL I did was:  (Read 6621 times)

infromsea

• Stubble
Today I did not "work" at a job... ALL I did was:
« on: August 10, 2017, 06:48:33 PM »
- Make breakfast and lunches for spouse and kid
- Read from selected works for 30 minutes
- Run and lift weights
- Meditate
- Make some side  hustle networking phone calls from home
- Spend 2 hours trimming trees/bushes on lot
- Spend 1 hour helping the neighbor hang his siding trim
- Spend 1 hour busting up old rail-road ties from old patio
- Spend 2 hours working on new deck
- Shower up and go make one cold call for side hustle
- On way home, stop and grab a few groceries
- Eat a quick meal, watch an episode of Rick and Morty
- Spend 1 hour cleaning up yard
- Cook dinner for spouse and I
- Clean  up kitchen, cook a few extra items to make lunches with

So lazy, it's obvious that I'm only days away from the boredom that everyone warns me about, how I'll HAVE to get a job because if not I will just go crazy....

How did I ever have time to have a full time job?

So, how little did you get done today? :)

Cossack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • finance liberation
Re: Today I did not "work" at a job... ALL I did was:
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:27:05 PM »
Doesn't look like laziness to me. It's more like busy-ness.
I often feel like I haven't achieved much if I don't set aside time for my passions.
I find I get less done now that I'm retired and don't have a full schedule. I can be easily distracted.

Setting my sights on the new goal ahead is what keeps me motivated.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:22:02 AM »
I didn't get much done today at work, but I still got paid :)

- 1 hour walk in the morning
- bike to work
- easy meeting, just blabbing about how we "should do stuff"
- walk to lunch with coworkers, ~1h30
- skipped afternoon meeting
- some coding
- long breaks, fucking around on phone
- bike back home

OK, I admit, I'm still jealous

infromsea

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:14:36 AM »
gerardc,

I forgot to mention that I too still get paid... military pension for life (technically still active duty so still getting that until my final leave period is over...).

Looks like you enjoy walking, same here. My future involves lots of long walks while listening to podcasts and audiobooks. Have you even gone on a walk JUST to listen to something? I foresee that happening.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 05:23:01 AM »
gerardc,

I forgot to mention that I too still get paid... military pension for life (technically still active duty so still getting that until my final leave period is over...).

Looks like you enjoy walking, same here. My future involves lots of long walks while listening to podcasts and audiobooks. Have you even gone on a walk JUST to listen to something? I foresee that happening.

Here is another walker. I like to walk to work when weather is permitting. It is approx 7,5km each way and takes 70 minutes. One of my motivations to go walking instead of cycling is that I can listen to my podcasts and that I can choose a green route. And that I experience it is low threshold to go doing.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 06:36:09 PM »
I like walking because of the mental/physical health benefits. It's incredibly relaxing. It's "work" and maintenance for your body, but very low impact/stress, so you can do a lot (in contrast to exercise, which will wear you down if you do too much). I try to go at night in quiet places, so I don't listen to podcasts or things to do, just relax. (Occasionally music in headphones though)

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 07:39:44 AM »
gerardc,

I go on walks just to listen to things ALL THE TIME. If you are not already doing it, you can use Overdrive and your local library to get access to thousands of audiobooks for free.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+use+overdrive+app&oq=how+to+use+overdrive&gs_l=psy-ab.3.1.0l4.436908.439367.0.440574.20.20.0.0.0.0.299.2155.7j8j2.17.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..3.17.2150...0i67k1j0i131k1j0i3k1.rIFAovm4fNU

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 07:43:41 AM »
I'm not quite as free as you guys, but I own my business and I'm setting it up so I don't have to work much. Truly, I'm trying to be at the office "working" 2 hours per day. The rest is me reading in my office, meeting with friends in the name of "networking," going to the gym, bullshitting with my employees (which costs me double!), gardening, meditating, hanging with my three small kids.

I'm never retiring if it stays like this :)

infromsea

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 07:08:20 PM »
But seriously I'm usually very busy since I FIREd but do things at my own pace and schedule so vastly different from a job. Like HUGELY different.

I know what you mean. This morning I woke up groggy so I made lunches for the family and did a few other small things. Once the house was good and empty I took a two hour nap, I do that maybe every six months, sooooo nice to have the freedom to do it when I want.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »
I'm not quite as free as you guys, but I own my business and I'm setting it up so I don't have to work much. Truly, I'm trying to be at the office "working" 2 hours per day. The rest is me reading in my office, meeting with friends in the name of "networking," going to the gym, bullshitting with my employees (which costs me double!), gardening, meditating, hanging with my three small kids.

You sound like the modern young version of Bert Cooper in Mad Men.  Probably less sexism involved, but - he never did anything at work but walk around in socks in his office, pruning his bonsai and chatting with the occasional visitor.  Yet he started the business and kept it running nicely.

Socks to bonsai; "I have made an effort to quantify".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKX8C6qKuac

In "memoriam":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbibEDKQT_I
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:49:20 PM by Bicycle_B »

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 07:41:46 PM »

You sound like the modern young version of Bert Cooper in Mad Men.  Probably less sexism involved, but - he never did anything at work but walk around in socks in his office, pruning his bonsai and chatting with the occasional visitor.  Yet he started the business and kept it running nicely.

Socks to bonsai; "I have made an effort to quantify".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKX8C6qKuac

In "memoriam":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbibEDKQT_I

That's hilarious for many reasons. In particular that I definitely take off my shoes and walk around in socks in my office.

Anyway, being the modern Bert Cooper sounds kind of awesome. So, I'll take it as a big compliment :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 10:25:32 AM »
We're experiencing record heat + haze from a distant fire, so I got really ambitious and busted out a 1000 piece puzzle, purchased at a thrift store for $1. Worked on it on and off all day. Oh, I did have a meeting in the morning to review the checklist for a charity event I'm hosting next week. Lunch was leftovers and dinner was cooked on the BBQ to keep the heat outside. That means I did the prep, but didn't actually cook dinner. Great day!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 10:45:21 AM »
Wake up at 4:30. Went for 9 mile walk. Stopped a grocery store to buy a couple items for dinner. Made dinner. Talked to my son a bit who is out of state and sitting in my favorite chair. Days only half over though!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 10:30:40 PM »
I went to home Depot to buy some parts to replace on our sprinkler system.. and.. well that was it actually..:)