Author Topic: Tell us about your post-FIRE hobbies!  (Read 6930 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Tell us about your post-FIRE hobbies!
« on: January 27, 2016, 08:12:28 AM »
Travel gets touched on quite frequently, and recreation a fair bit, but seems like there is less discussion around post-FIRE hobbies.  Have you expanded on the old ones, picked up new ones, dropped them in favor of something new, spent a lot of money on them now that you have more free time, etc.?

Shropskr

• Stubble
Re: Tell us about your post-FIRE hobbies!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 10:02:56 AM »
I've made Kung Fu more of a priority.  Fun

We've also upped way way upped our home improvements. Putting in hardwoods tons.

Sleep oh I want more sleep.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 10:51:32 AM »
More gardening (not right now/winter)
More cooking/baking - try more new recipes, more homemade items (bread, granola, refrigerator pickled veg)
More dog walking

I'd like to pick up:
More de cluttering/cleaning
More organizing
More exercise
More DIY / house fix-ups
More crafting (used to do)
More photography (used to do)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 11:12:19 AM »
More quality family time
Aggressively taking on DIY projects
Applying more time to my workouts
More time is put into cooking quality meals
Love landscaping so once winter is over have alot I want to do at our new place
read and research x10
nap everyday

Not sure if hobbies is the right name for these but its what i do and do more of! Naps are my favorite hobby!

Cap_Scarlet

• Bristles
    • EarlyRetireFree
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 02:14:27 PM »
Not there yet but my plans include:

- More skiing, need to do it while I still can
- More cooking, unusual and exotic recipes
- More poker, possibly a little retirement earner
- More sleep ......i am sooooooo tired

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 05:58:28 AM »
I spent every weekend this summer at our cottage on a lake.  Before that, I always worked every other weekend for almost 40 years (healthcare).  It was the best summer ever!  Got into gardening big time and canned tomatoes for 3 weeks straight.  I think I have enough tomato products to last 2 years. 

Did more traveling this year than ever, but that was not helping the stache even with travel hacks. 

I plan to get back into sewing and quilting when I can find the time.  Funny how time slips away from you even when you are retired.

Miss Prim

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 07:14:14 AM »
More cooking from scratch. More walking. Got a dog, with all the activity that that implies. Much more time spent on music (piano, harp). Still do a lot of reading, but did that in my working years, too. Watch DVDs and streaming video in the evenings with the dog. Really enjoy that, as I never did that while working. Have done a good deal of travel over the past year, but now with the dog and with continuing grandchildren responsibilities, don't plan to travel as much. Getting a good deal of writing done...have found out by trial and error that I like to write fiction in bed at night with a pen and school notebook before I go to sleep. Then in the morning I put it into the computer, revising as I go. Book reviews are done in the mornings on the computer. I'm doing some beta reading for a short story author--that seems to work best in the mornings, too.

Punxsyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 09:43:08 PM »
Pickleball!  What fun & most of the people that play are retired so play during the day at local rec. center.  Helps keep me from getting fat.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 12:08:21 AM »
My main hobby-type change has been more cooking from scratch + experimenting in the kitchen. I've always had fun with cooking but when I worked I didn't really have as much time for some of these 1 hour+ recipes that I always wanted to make.

I've been doing bird watching. I'm looking forward to spring/warmer weather (I hate cold) to do this even more. I plan to do hiking along with this, obviously.

My house is kept quite clean now and that makes me feel good. Again, I just have more time for it and it doesn't feel like a burden anymore.

I also have been getting much better sleep. I had insomnia problems for most of my adult life. It wasn't as bad as some people, meaning I did get some sleep. It would just take HOURS to fall asleep, even if I was incredibly tired. Nothing I did fixed it. I think it was mostly stress. I had maybe 1 night post-FIRE where I had insomnia, but I've gotten 7-8 hours of sleep otherwise. I feel SO MUCH BETTER now.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 07:26:34 PM »
We are FIRE (38 and 36) and still don't feel like we have enough time. In addition to raising two young kids, cooking and taking care of the house:

Mountain biking
Road biking
Baking bread
Working out
Backpacking
Hunting/fishing
Hiking
Gardening
Reading backlog of books that built up during working years

I still need to get the homebrew going again (just not motivated yet), and plan on adding a few coding projects I've been thinking about.

gman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 05:43:25 AM »
- Tennis
- Biking
- Hiking
- Pickle ball
- Gardening
- Buying and refreshing used laptops then giving them away
- Researching optimal nutrition
- Listening to Music

Want to start reading for pleasure, fishing and deejaying again.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:45:14 AM by gman »

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 07:01:01 AM »
WTF is pickleball????

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 10:26:33 AM »

fairfaxbiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »
Kids/Family bonus time, biking, hiking, motos, in-sourcing all the shit I used to pay people to do, making friends in biking distance, running, coaching, spending way too much time trying to micro manage my investments to maximize ACA and taxes.  Oh, and I decided to be my own contractor and building the family a new house.  This FIRE thing is super busy but beats the heck out of working for the man (or woman)!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 03:33:26 PM »
Gardening in non-Winter seasons.

Cooking, but the GF actually makes this difficult, even though she claims she wants me to cook.

Researching the heck out of any medical condition I have at any given time. Planning what to say and not to say to doctors about it.

Financial arrangements:  taxes, spending, health insurance (more of a chore than  a hobby!). 

Wasting gas going to different stores to search for bargains. Using gas, but I need to get out of the frickin' house anyway, so it's OK. 

Always looking for ways to save money. Buying expensive craft beer once in a while but only if it is sale.

Going for walks for exercise. No gym membership since existing medical problems preclude that.

Decluttering now and then.

I pay $8 for a senior ticket every so often to see any movies I think are worth it.

Get dvd's from library.  Watch some cable TV now and then.

Sleep whenever I want to which is a huge luxury.  I have about 8 years of sleep deprivation to take care of. Ha. 

Really not enough to do. A good problem to have, I guess. I was really psyched when the blizzard came through last week. It gave me a moderate challenge shoveling the snow for 8 hours.   

Sometimes am bored!!!  Need to find a Winter hobby.

Mr.Tako

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mr. Tako Escapes
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 03:34:45 PM »
For me, I spend a lot more time with the kids now.  Specifically our youngest, as he is home with me all day.  I'm not sure you'd call that a hobby though. ;)

Once the weather changes here in the PNW, I will be spending a lot more time outside: Exercising, DIY house maintenance, and playing with the kids.

I certainly do a lot more cooking now (as others have also indicated).  Instead of rushing to put something together, I now have the time to create better meals.  Hopefully that will have a positive effect on my waistline.

My blog (Mr. Tako Escapes - linked below) certainly is my biggest new hobby.  It sucks up tons of time (almost as much as a job), but I find it pretty rewarding.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:37:12 PM by Mr.Tako »

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 10:49:34 PM »
Biggest hobby surprise I picked up - exercising (walking/jogging, yoga and bodyweight routines). I'm actually to the point where I am really enjoying it. And I dislike rest days (but take them anyway).

Hobbies that I already had but have devoted much more time to:

Cooking/recipe research
Halloween prop building (I did a creepy carnival last year, and threw a party and built LOTS of props and decorations from scratch)
Sewing
Reading
Money saving/frugal research

bop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 04:02:35 AM »
Pickleball!  What fun & most of the people that play are retired so play during the day at local rec. center.  Helps keep me from getting fat.
+1.  After I FIREd, a friend introduced me to pickleball, and now I'm addicted.  During the months we live in St. Maarten, I play it many mornings. 

gman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 05:22:30 PM »
Ugh .... tennis for flabby people

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 06:50:59 PM »
More gardening -- we put up a greenhouse last fall and I'm anxious to work in it this spring.
More hiking -- we take the dogs on the neighborhood trails every morning and get out more during the week to explore.
More camping -- it's great to be able to go during the week-- we often have the wilderness to ourselves.
DH has taken up brewing craft beer again, something he had given up due to lack of time.
A former neighbor gave us a canoe that was pretty banged up. DH refinished it and we've been taking it out on the local lake. He's also taken up fishing again.
More education. So far we've completed a couple of community-education courses (including a Citizen's Police Academy) and done a couple of Great Courses (Physics and Astronomy) I joined a women's Bible Study group. It's fun to learn new things when you have more time to devote to it. And I've done several MOOCs on various topics.
More Volunteering -- DH volunteered with a local trail maintenance group and we've both worked with a local group that repairs senior housing.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 08:30:34 PM »
Well, I don't pick my nose anymore.

But I don't pick it any less either.

Guess it's a wash overall.