Author Topic: Talk to me about living in a rural area  (Read 14518 times)

Chris@TTL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Early retirement mid-pandemic
    • TicTocLife - Transitioning into Early Retirement
Re: Talk to me about living in a rural area
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2020, 01:27:40 PM »
The idea of living in a small town/rural area really appeals to me. What worries me is that I am a gay woman in an interracial relationship. That's not weird at all in the city, but small town folks aren't exactly the most open minded. We live in the Houston suburbs now and the gawking is enraging. We aren't even a particularly touchy couple. Last week just a "Hey bae should we get the regular mac n'cheese or the low sodium?" at the grocery store got a huffy grunt and look of horror from the old lady a couple feet away.

I guess I'm worried that moving to a rural area will get us a cross burning on our front lawn or the word "faggot" painted on the garage door.

It's unfortunate that open minded nearly always means high cost of living.

You just need to find the right small town in the right area of the country. Try looking at some of the smaller college towns - they tend to be pretty liberal and more diverse.

I live in a rural area in central New York state. It is very non-diverse racially.  My wife and I are an interracial couple with a multi-racial child and we haven't had any racial issues at all.

Iíd agree with this. Weíre pretty familiar with the Charlottesville, VA area for example which is home to UVA. Charlottesville isnít a big town (pop 48K). But itís quite progressive for being in a rural area of a southern state. That said, itís still surrounded in quite conservative rural country, which while pretty inexpensive in some areas (yet still has access to advanced medicine, forward thinking startups due to UVA, etc), has also been home to some very aggressive protesting around mostly conservative topics. Itís been in the news for some violent outbreaks around those topics, sadly, too.

You could make the argument thatís largely because of the growing diversity of the area.