Author Topic: Sudden Post-FIRE, checklist review?  (Read 4866 times)

MrBean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Sudden Post-FIRE, checklist review?
« on: December 13, 2019, 07:54:13 AM »
Hello MMM Forum, I'm a long time reader and first time poster. My wife and I have been living with FIRE in mind for a while, but last year my parents both suddenly passed away and we ended up inheriting roughly $1m in 2019 (the most depressing lottery, my buddy calls it). There's minimal estate liquidation needs yet, the big stuff is done.

Anyway, I'm taking 2020 off of work to be home with my wife and baby. We've had a rough few years, our two sons passed away from muscular disease in 2016 and 2018. We just want to chill for a year and then I'd like to get a 20hr/week fun job for insurance. We're in our early 30's and I've worked a higher pay/higher stress investment fund accounting job through my career so far, so it sounds attractive to work/live local and focus on family.

What do I have to do to prep for 2020? I've forecasted my 2019/2020 taxes (State/Federal), signed up for an HSA eligible HealthCare.Gov policy with subsidy (so I know what my MAGI needs to be in 2020 to keep the subsidy), and we're planning out our expense budget for the year. Our investments are in taxable and IRA accounts and I have my investment allocations all set, and I've moved some $$ to a money market account for the next two years planned expenses. Once I get more comfortable with post-FIRE life, I may keep less in MMKT but I want to do conservative decisions for 2020 to reduce mistakes/regrets. I'm OK perhaps missing a year of equity growth in exchange for a conservative year with this portion of our allocation.

So yeah, any other todo items or feedback? We're telling zero people our $$ situation but we told a few close friends that I'm home full time, and planning to keep that circle small.

Good note: I've been home for about 45 days full time and it's been amazing. It's been very healing for us given the stress of the last three years and we're very grateful for this opportunity. And I hope future posts in this community are more giving and less 'needy'.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Sudden Post-FIRE, checklist review?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 09:47:29 AM »
Here is a pre-FIRE checklist https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/pre-fire-checklist/

Does your inheritance include any accounts with RMDs? 

If you won’t have much income in 2020, it is a great year to do a Roth conversion.

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 10:46:39 AM »
I had rather a FIRE with grief experience too. While appreciating enormously the time, space and freedom just to be, that it brought, the first year was still strange and I felt very vulnerable.
I was much nearer to conventional retirement age than you. Even people who I thought of as reasonably sensitive friends were at times quite insensitive about the situation that precipitated retirement.
I would suggest as little information given about finances as possible, enjoy time with those you love, and expect some emotional wobbles.
Financially, tracking spending carefully, rather than controlling it tightly, will aid peace of mind.
Best wishes for a wonderful year.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 11:07:37 AM »
As a former social worker you and your wife have experienced extensive trauma between your children and parents.  I think it’s a great idea to take a year off.  I think going forward part time is a good idea. When you feel like it I would figure out what you spend versus what comes in.   I also think you guys should plan something special to look forward to like maybe a trip to somewhere you have wanted to go.   Hugs:))

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 04:46:36 PM »
It sounds like you are thinking straight on the financial aspect.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 05:19:41 PM »
Wow.  So sorry to hear of your tragic situation.

ShastaFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 05:24:51 PM »
I'm glad it's been so healing for you, given what you've been through with your family.  I think your plans are fine, especially having the two year backup in the money market - I did the same into FIRE.  No regrets.

I would just counsel to give yourself as much time as you need to heal, and to not feel like you have to explain/justify to anyone!

Best wishes and congratulations on the baby.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 05:15:13 AM »
My best to you, it sounds like you're doing great with what you've been given.  Obviously the most important "financial" decision right now probably relates to not being overly concerned with your living situation over the next few years being optimized/sustainable, your family's mental health is obviously infinitely times more important.

I'd assume the other big one focus right now and going forward is anything and everything related to health insurance given your family history? There are few things that can do damage to $1M like a serious health issue, so any and all options need to be explored, though I assume you've already done that.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 10:17:54 AM »
So sorry to hear you have been going through serial grief.  By all means, take time.

On mechanics, you might want to post a case study.  Without knowing the details like planned FIRE spending, how much of personal/inheritance accounts are taxable/tax advantaged, and miscellanous items, it is hard to offer sound financial advice.

But work on the personal stuff first.  Once you FIRE, it only takes about 6-9 months to figure out that the previous years of worrying about money were sort of wasted.  You live between your ears, not between your cash flows.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 05:53:11 PM »
Just posting to give you validation.  It sounds like you are doing the right things.  I would also suggest carefully tracking your expenses.

I was FIRED, but my husband was not, when he died suddenly in April.  I will always be grateful that I didn't have to go to work.  I cannot even begin to imagine how people do it.

MrBean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 07:04:59 AM »
Thank you everyone for the support and feedback. We feel good about our operations/compliance much moreso now (taxes, expenses, RMD schedule, insurances, other). Looking forward to contributing to this community!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 11:19:43 AM »
It’s hard for people to go back to work after a death. My good friend lost her daughter at 19 8 years ago. The state only allowed her a week off. It’s been a constant struggle and she is now retiring with a penalty for not being 60 because she can finally financially do it. It’s a total relief.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 06:37:10 AM »
Pre-FIRE, one of my favorite motivational sayings was "Retiring too early is a mistake that can be recovered from. Too late and there is no recovery." 

You have borne unendurable losses. Give yourself, your wife, and your new baby the healing gift of time. You will not regret it.

Huge hugs from this Internet Stranger. Best wishes to all of you.