Author Topic: Still sheltering in place....  (Read 3803 times)

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
Still sheltering in place....
« on: May 24, 2020, 01:27:14 PM »
Some brighter news from New York and some other states. I am not one to counsel people about this plague, however I have no plans to get out and about just yet. I told my rock cover band members to go ahead and replace me ;(

Not interested in mask wars, haircuts, standing in circles, getting tested, getting sneezed on or becoming a hospital burden or post mid-point death statistic. If I was a young picture of health and needed employment; sure, I'd be out there trying to do things safely. My father was a combat vet in the Korean War and he was terrified of being killed just before the peace treaty got signed. Ahhh, plus this thing could bounce back in no time. Like in a week or a month. Now that would be incredibly bad.

Goldendog777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Still sheltering in place....
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 01:51:47 PM »
We are still following stay at home orders.  We only go out to the grocery store when needed but that ends up to be about once a week.  I do have a part time (Fun money) job as a retail merchandiser but haven’t been mandatory called back to work...yet but I’m expecting it very soon.  I’m concerned about going back at this time and pretty sure it’s not worth the risk to make fun money!  I have to go into places like Walgreens, CVS, and Dollar Tree.  I think I may end up quitting.  My hubby does not want me to go back either.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 01:53:01 PM »
We are also carrying on as we have been. Grocery shopping every two weeks, with a mask. Midweek visits to the boat to avoid the weekend crowds (for some reason, even retired people just have to boat on the weekend), local walks and bike rides.

Our local numbers never went down and the opening phases have not been spaced far enough to watch for increases. Furthermore, there are significant outbreaks to our south and east that are overwhelming their local resources. Even most of our northern neighbors aren't looking that great in numbers, but they have better resources.

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 09:09:30 AM »

We are continuing the stay at home focus.  We have bought one take-out pizza in the last two months.  Otherwise, we are eating home cooked meals. I've been kayaking a few times, but was alone and didn't hardly see anyone during my outings.  Outside walks, a ride on the motorcycle or a cruise in the convertible.  Been to home depot a few times to pick up supplies for our interior painting project.  We have been selling a lot of stuff online and exercising social distancing during pickup of items.  We simply move items outside in anticipation of buyer arrival.  It's great to downsize our amount of "stuff."

We are at a damned if you do, damned if you don't point in this pandemic.  People are loosing their patience with the shutdown and it will be increasingly difficult to enforce a shutdown.  Furthermore, a continued shutdown will only continue the devastation of our economy.  Hopefully we have enough test kits and enough infrastructure and processes in place to manage the increase in positive cases.  I don't think staying closed down is the right option at this point, but I also am disappointed in the images of crowded gatherings in various places around the country.  The virus initially hit the densely populated cities and many of the more rural areas didn't see much cases.  Now we see the large cities leveling off and an uptick in the rural areas of the country as the virus travels across society. 

I suspect this will be a bit of a rollercoaster ride until proven vaccine(s) become readily available.

Stay Safe.

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 09:42:26 AM »
NY here as well. Things are loosening up a bit I'll definitely be more social with those I know but have no real interest in being in crowed places like most of you above. 

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 12:47:47 PM »
We're also continuing to stay at home. Cases in my rural area of NC are starting to climb more quickly... and I'm sure that will skyrocket as people get out more, churches resume services, etc. I haven't left the house, except for neighborhood walks, in nearly a month. My husband goes to work several days a week but there are only a couple of other people there, he's still livestreaming his church services, and he does Walmart grocery pickup for us once weekly. No plans on loosening up anytime soon.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 10:08:01 AM »
I'm done with it.
Went fishing out of state last week with a couple buddies, then traveled out of state for Memorial day weekend to the lake house.
It is kind of nice, not much traffic on the roads, not many people on the lake, etc.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 07:15:41 AM »
I'm fortunate to be in a job where half our people are sales who are either visiting customers or working from home most of the time.  So my plan for whenever Mass goes back to work is to continue to stay home.  I now go out to pick up take out food at the curb, the maybe once a week grocery store visit (wife does most of that) and to go offroading.  The wife started a new job, the first week of the stay at home week.  It's a home based job and the only change for her is that orientation and training is online instead of driving 45 minutes to the home base.  That has been wonderful from a commuting perspective.  The extra income also helps as she had been in a nursing home per diem, 4 shifts a month at peanuts for pay.  More than offsets the 10% pay cut I got. 

Son #1 has graduated college and starts his job a week and a half from today.  We've already talked about his new finances which will include using his own credit card to pay for his stuff and paying something for rent (which will be a small token amount).  He'll start paying back student loans (only staffords) and saving for his own car.  He'll use our "spare car" as it's the oldest one and was a buy back total (other son side swiped a trailer) that's worthless, but perfectly fine mechanically.  Just put on a better set of tires (the snows from another of our cars that are down to 6/32", so no longer good for snow use) so he'll be set to go.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 07:41:08 AM »
Well, We're going more back to normal now, but normal for us still feels much safer than the going into the grocery stores that folks did all throughout the lock-down (man they looked crowded, there was only once we had to go into one which I was happy about).  Having family friends over, etc is mostly what we missed.  I guess the main difference for me this summer will be no minor league baseball and the local art festivals (the only things I can think of I normally do with crowds that I would shy away from now, neither of which will be an option anyway I'm guessing).

JestJes

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 09:29:38 AM »
We are still following stay at home orders.  We only go out to the grocery store when needed but that ends up to be about once a week.  I do have a part time (Fun money) job as a retail merchandiser but haven’t been mandatory called back to work...yet but I’m expecting it very soon.  I’m concerned about going back at this time and pretty sure it’s not worth the risk to make fun money!  I have to go into places like Walgreens, CVS, and Dollar Tree.  I think I may end up quitting.  My hubby does not want me to go back either.

I hung on to my "fun money" job for a couple of months but just quit last Monday. Its not so much fear of the COVID but how people are acting while they are in stores.  People have no respect for your personal space and are very short tempered. I loved my job at Whole Foods in the cheese department but it feels like I got drafted for a War that I wasn't expecting. The pay was really good and I may even go back some day but its currently not worth it.

Body Surfer

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 04:20:50 PM »
We are continuing to be home-bound except grocery shopping and mountain biking and trail running. New folks getting covid numbers still seem too high. I really thought new cases # would be significantly reduced at this point.

firebrand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 05:13:20 AM »
We're also continuing to stay at home. Cases in my rural area of NC are starting to climb more quickly... and I'm sure that will skyrocket as people get out more, churches resume services, etc. I haven't left the house, except for neighborhood walks, in nearly a month. My husband goes to work several days a week but there are only a couple of other people there, he's still livestreaming his church services, and he does Walmart grocery pickup for us once weekly. No plans on loosening up anytime soon.
There's also an increase in cases in my county in NC (not far from Asheville). County officials here attribute the increase to more testing, specifically through more contact tracing. They believe this explains why the confirmed rate increased to 7% from a 4% average prior - many of the positives are house members of the confirmed case. At this time they don't see any new dynamic or issue influencing this change. Of course they are still recommending wearing masks inside retails stores and when social distancing cannot be maintained. I'm going to use my mountain bike today to get me out of this place.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 09:16:44 AM »
I'm FIREd and 60 years old so very happily and gratefully able to stay at home.
Grocery shop every two weeks (senior hour, with a mask), have some takeout food delivered contactlessly once a week as a treat, go to parks, ocean by myself or with family member who lives with me (I pick quiet spots where no one else is there).
Luckily I love home-based hobbies. My book club switched to telephone and there are some great streaming performing arts these days. Have done some Zoom calls with friends.
My travel fund keeps building - But I can't imagine going anywhere in the next six-12 months.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 07:48:08 AM »
Other than socializing with friends at pubs/restaurants and travelling our lives look pretty much normal. We are getting out to do our usual sporting activities, going shopping as needed. My GF still goes to work at a hospital  everyday...she's management not a frontline worker. We expect we'll be able to socialize more and get back to travel within BC in the next 2 weeks or so. At that point things will feel pretty normal.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 10:49:43 AM »
3 weeks ago our restaurants opened at half capacity and we started going out to eat which we really missed.  We have also started to see our friends. We are 65 in a high risk group and stayed home for almost 3 months. We cancelled our vacation because flying now is risky. We are mostly staying out of stores.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 02:45:54 PM »
Went out to supper at a local pub the other evening for the first time in months.
I do not enjoy the way they are operating; all the staff wearing masks, nobody allowed to sit at or touch the bar, half empty facility due to distancing,regs, etc.   Service was also quite slow most likely due to all of the extra rules, restrictions, food and drink handling procedures, extra cleaning, etc.   It wasn't much fun and I'm not very interested in doing it again until they drop these silly restrictions.

I really feel sorry for the owners and staff because they aren't doing a large enough level of business to make much money, tips are probably way down, etc.   Until they drop these restrictions, they are going to really struggle.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 03:44:24 PM »
Until they drop these restrictions, they are going to really struggle.

That won't happen for 1-2 years. If we get an effective vaccine within 12 months that would be amazing. Then once you have the vaccine actually getting enough people vaccinated will take months if not a whole year.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2020, 05:58:00 PM »
I am fine with the restrictions. We just enjoyed finally getting out.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2020, 06:35:35 PM »
Went out to supper at a local pub the other evening for the first time in months.
I do not enjoy the way they are operating; all the staff wearing masks, nobody allowed to sit at or touch the bar, half empty facility due to distancing,regs, etc.   Service was also quite slow most likely due to all of the extra rules, restrictions, food and drink handling procedures, extra cleaning, etc.   It wasn't much fun and I'm not very interested in doing it again until they drop these silly restrictions.

I really feel sorry for the owners and staff because they aren't doing a large enough level of business to make much money, tips are probably way down, etc.   Until they drop these restrictions, they are going to really struggle.

I think the restrictions are challenging, but I don’t call them silly.  Unfortunately, they are necessary.  Cases in my area are still climbing, and climbing at a faster rate.  We do carry out and curbside pickup and bought gift certificates to our favorite places when they were completely closed, so I feel like we’re doing our part.  I live in Iowa, we can even do carry out of liquor if we want. 

We do pick up at Wal Mart every other week for groceries, and fill in with quick visits to our butcher and Aldi.  Always masked.  Always with a list.  Quick in and out.

I have a short list of other stores I will frequent based on precautions.  Stores that have plexiglass shields for their workers, require masks, disinfect carts, and control entrances will get my business.  In my town this means I go to Ace Hardware, Menards, Target, and a specific grocery store within a bigger chain. 

I miss doing a few things, but all in all am grateful I can get the things I need and not waste so much damn time in the store.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2020, 11:16:47 PM »
My province would be pretty close to crushing it, if only dipsticks wouldn't flagrantly violate the restrictions.  We are so close to being able to open the province to internal travel, but we can't while sh**heads are having family gatherings of 30 people and infecting themselves (15 people at last count).

Still a few days to wait to see what cases the protests caused, though I feel more optimistic there - they were masked, and if the organizers insisted on hand sanitizer use they might not have had transmission.

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 12:54:16 PM »
Floriduh...yeah....we are getting slammed. With US daily death rates sometimes greater than WW2 US daily combat losses one would expect reasonable precautions. nope.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 01:11:08 PM »
CA looked like leadership early on, but then we kept opening new things every other day, with no time to see how things go before the next opening.

Everyone is wearing a mask, but on today's outing, less than half were actually covering their nose. WT actual F?

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 01:25:05 PM »
Last month we had the lowest expenses since I was about 18 years old. I have yet to need fuel for my car since April. I started ordering bulk foods to cut down on 'market exposure', LOL.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!