Author Topic: So you've FIRE'd. Why do you keep coming back to this forum?  (Read 19805 times)

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
Hey people who've ejected themselves from the rat race! What keeps you coming back to the MMM forums once you've retired early and are financially independent? I'm not meaning this as a criticism in any way, I'm just curious. Is it online friends you've made here? A desire to give back to the community in terms of advice, etc?

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
Re: So you've FIRE'd. Why do you keep coming back to this forum?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 07:33:55 AM »
There is a real shortage of people who see things the way I do in my personal meatspace.  My "tribe" is here.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 07:39:10 AM »
#1 is definitely the friendships :)    I'm more known by folks on this forum than almost anywhere else, I like supporting them, I like being supported by them.

#2 is the processing. My life is infinitely better when I process "out loud", and this is an ideal place to do that, as people here get me.

#3 is finding new people to encourage and support, the way people here did for me when I was just starting to figure FIRE stuff out.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 09:44:56 AM »
Just lots of very interesting discussion on these forums.  You can pick up some good ideas too.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 09:53:38 AM »
Because I'm not a total financial genius, just lucky enough to have figured out a few things early enough to be able to FIRE.

There are still things I'm learning about every day, and the forum is filled with folks that understand things better than I ever could - like taxes, optimizing expenditures for things I already need/use, travel hacking...

And I agree with the idea that there aren't really that many folks in the real world to discuss things like this with. I have no friends that really get FIRE stuff and honestly no one has really noticed the husband and I aren't working at all... they just assume we're freelancers now. We haven't shared much about the money/income situation since most of our friends are unfortunately pretty spendy and mentioning investing or the like is not a subject that seems of interest for some reason, so we've not felt the need to out ourselves to anyone as of yet. ;)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 09:55:25 AM »
The people here look at the world the way I do.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 12:28:25 PM »
You never stop learning!

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 01:14:40 PM »
All of the above :-)

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »
All of the above :-)
+1.

I was only able to quit when I did because of what I learned on these forums and MMM and other associated FIRE bloggers' posts. I assume I haven't learned it all yet so I figure there's still efficiency out there to be had! That and to contribute where I think I can provide anything of value.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 07:07:05 PM »
While FI and RE milestones are significant in the FIRE journey, they certainly do not stop the learning and sharing process. The forum remains relevant, so I stay.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 08:42:37 PM »
free time!

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 05:08:11 AM »
I don't know anyone IRL who is interested in retiring early, or being mindful of spending, or investing, or anything finance related - aside from my partner. So, it's nice to have this community.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 09:31:56 AM »
I enjoy the company.  :)  Being at home while most people are at work, internet forums are a surprising percentage of my social scene these days.

I also like the intellectual stimulation of discussing FIRE topics and sharing what I've learned over the years.  It keeps me on my toes, and new questions inspire me to think of things in new ways. 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 11:02:42 AM »
I come here and still learn things and try , support those that are here that helped me and give back I hope by helping those that need it.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 03:43:01 PM »
All of you who continue to post once FIRE'd, believe me you - we who are still on the road there very much appreciate it!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 03:50:14 PM »
I skim other sub-forums, but I read "Do It Yourself" and "Taxes" more closely than others.  There is always something for me to learn in those categories and ever-so-occasionally there is something I know that I can share.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 04:51:15 PM »
Because why the hell not?

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 06:31:56 PM »
For the pun threads!

:-)

NaturallyHappier

• Stubble
  • FIRED 3/10/2017
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 06:38:15 PM »
There are people here that are like minded and I enjoy the discussions.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 07:17:41 AM »
It may not be the healthiest thing for some ER's. It's difficult even after ER to curb a mindset that doesn't even make sense anymore. Frugality freight train going 90 miles an hour for a lifetime then SCREEECH, try to turn that thing around.

Bolshevik Artizan

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 12:20:24 PM »
Have been back three or four times in the last sixteen months just to check in and ask specific questions or report to those who knew me when I was seeking advice three or four years ago. Don't feel the need to check in, just sometimes do so out of curiosity...

OthalaFehu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • OthalaFehu
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »
Wait..We can Leave?

Like whenever we want?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 12:38:24 PM »
Wait..We can Leave?

Like whenever we want?

:)))))

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 02:25:22 PM »
I really appreciate the post fire people - proof positive that this stuff works :)

And you all have perspective/wisdom us working folk definitely benefit from.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 03:35:43 PM »
Becoming FIRE doesn't mean.you are immune to lifestyle creep or spendy pants desires, so reading post helps bring me back down to earth and aligns my values

I'm not FIRE yet, but getting close and am just on autopilot now.  This is the big one for me.  I get lazy, expenses creep up, and since I am the most frugal of anyone I know IRL it can be hard to notice it happening.  Hanging out here keeps me in check.

Also, I remember what it was like discovering the concept for the first time, so I like to share ideas and my perspective to the newcomers.

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 08:11:13 AM »
It may not be the healthiest thing for some ER's. It's difficult even after ER to curb a mindset that doesn't even make sense anymore. Frugality freight train going 90 miles an hour for a lifetime then SCREEECH, try to turn that thing around.

Could you explain some more about what you mean? I enjoy the support from the forum to help me remain frugal. It would be so easy to squander my tiny fortune.

Also, frugality is only part of the MMM message. Remember how he said the real point is about saving the world? One of my small contributions is riding my bike, but I get a lot of criticism about riding it in my non-biking community.

Did I misunderstand what you meant?

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 09:01:35 AM »
Wait..We can Leave?

Like whenever we want?

Or as the Eagles put it in Hotel California

You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave

BigLou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 05:00:38 AM »
I haven't FIRE'd yet, but I'm very close and after I do I'll still keep coming here and reading these posts because learning is a lifelong process which doesn't stop after one FIRE's. Collectively there is a vast amount of knowledge and expertise from the people who post here. I have tremendous respect for the people who post here because they are so willing to share their knowledge and experiences here which I have found to be so beneficial.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2017, 06:38:08 AM »

Could you explain some more about what you mean? I enjoy the support from the forum to help me remain frugal. It would be so easy to squander my tiny fortune.

Also, frugality is only part of the MMM message. Remember how he said the real point is about saving the world? One of my small contributions is riding my bike, but I get a lot of criticism about riding it in my non-biking community.

Did I misunderstand what you meant?

I'm not concerned about whether I'm living life according to the MMM doctrine. We've got religion for that. I just enjoy the money-saving tips and the anti-consumerism viewpoint.  My frugality genes came from my parents. I retired at 58, which is ancient for this forum. I could ease up on some of my extremely frugal ways, but after a lifetime of NOT spending, that is a difficult transition.

Many people here are planning for very early retirement that is going to require a lifetime of living close to the bone. My only caution would be that you may change your mind further down the road and then have difficulty reentering the work force.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 07:17:37 AM »
^ Though, because it's not about frugality, our versions of "close to the bone" isn't very close to the bone at all. i.e. Forumites generally plan to have little to no housing costs before living on $25k-$40k per year. And then if we don't have that cash, we don't plan to reenter the workforce, but to get the difference via playing, sidegigs, etc. So, that bigger MMM philosophy works so differently than frugality.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 07:53:43 AM »
I wanted to FIRE practically from the day I started working, though there was no word for it then. I often felt alone in my quest. It would have been a lot easier (and no doubt faster) to have had company.

I hang around because I want to help others, especially single women who are self-funding their dreams. I try to be the help I wish I'd had.

Also, my MIL has Alzheimer's and lives with us. This forum keeps me from feeling  trapped. I adore the collective mind for solving problems.

I recently started a journal because there are things I want to remember about my life and path to FIRE. Writing is a great memory trigger, feedback is appreciated and the possibility of helping others is intoxicating.

Plus, free advice from smart people!

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2017, 03:59:35 PM »
I'm with those who say, we still have things to learn even after FIRE.  Though the fact is, since I reached my goals and RE'd, I come here far far less than I did in the years leading up to leaving the workplace.  Sometimes WEEKS go by (gasp) between my check-ins.  But it's been my experience, as with others, that our thinking is marginal enough that the community here is a very welcome respite from the unceasing consumerism of much of the culture I see here in the US. 

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2017, 07:28:22 PM »
I don't need financial help, but there's plenty of super smart and frugal people here who are happy to give advice on other things too. I've learned things about fitness, gardens, cooking, home maintenance, and all kinds of things on these forums that aren't directly financial-related. The advice I've gotten has generally been very good. You can tend to find out ways how to do things well but on a low budget too. :)

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »
I'm FIRing in 4 days and DH in 2 more weeks.  (Not "E" in terms of this community as we are 60 but still amazing to our friends and coworkers.)

At least at first, I see paying even more attention to this forum as we'll have the time to optimize and 'in source' even further and the advice here is great on so many topics, as others have said.  I particularly enjoy the threads on DIY attempts that went wrong.  :)  I can see my future...

Woodshark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »
Wait..We can Leave?

Like whenever we want?

Thank you.

I'm two years FIRE'd and this made my day.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2017, 12:22:12 AM »
I'm not FIRE'd, but I appreciate the viewpoints and advice from the FIRE'd peeps.

Cossack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • finance liberation
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2017, 07:08:26 PM »
I really want to help others. I find that the people I am close to make some sounds like they want to be FIRE'd but they are either too afraid to ask or don't think they can do it. So, I have to almost seek out strangers to help. Bit sad really.

I also like to keep learning tips from others.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2017, 03:21:07 PM »
I still enjoy the forum. Like others we were not that young at 53 & 58. 5 years later we still do side gigs that we enjoy very much.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2017, 07:30:57 PM »
I enjoy the community.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

SDH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2017, 08:26:30 PM »
We are nowhere near FIRE, I don't think...still trying to figure that out, but I am so grateful for all of you!  Your patience for us Newbies' "silly questions" is invaluable. 

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2017, 07:31:08 PM »
It keeps me grounded and calm. Life isn't easy for many people I know, partially because their spending is out of control and partially because work can be deeply unpleasant if one doesn't have a way out and the boss knows it and uses that knowledge exploitatively. I can get too far into their lives and their stress if I don't pay attention.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »
1. The people - ideas - motivation - inspiration - just plain fun reading - off topics - odd topics - did I mention the people:)
So much too learn ... - improving my financial literacy...
Besides I was already RE when I found MMM.

2. Where else can I hang out and discuss all the silly things I'm attempting while I wait for Mr. R. to FI? maybe - RE? debatable, he will be 60 or 62 by the time he retires. Good thing he really likes his job.

3. You guys rock!

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2017, 06:06:28 AM »
Not FIRE'd yet, but just an observation from the aspiring cheap seats is that when "You've made it", it's even more satisfying to share how you made "it" and are keeping "it" with others.   

SDH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2017, 10:31:20 PM »
I have a question for you success story folks...Did you feel like you had to really be an investor smarty pants to pull this off?  I'm certainly not and kinda knocks the wind out of my sails when I think "can we really do this?"  Or were you more of the "max 401, max IRA, put everything else into stocks and viola, in 5 yrs your ready..."  (grossly oversimplified I know)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2017, 11:18:10 PM »
I have a question for you success story folks...Did you feel like you had to really be an investor smarty pants to pull this off?  I'm certainly not and kinda knocks the wind out of my sails when I think "can we really do this?"  Or were you more of the "max 401, max IRA, put everything else into stocks and viola, in 5 yrs your ready..."  (grossly oversimplified I know)

I definitely started at zero knowledge, learned one teeny thing at a time, stepped slowly and steadily along the learning curve. When I had a crack of room in my brain, I started a thread asking one question at a time, starting with things like, "Are stocks and equities the same thing?" Or, "Why is the wiggly line on this graph so different from the wiggly graph on that one?"

LOVE the book Millionaire Teacher by Andrew Hallam, read after starting the abovementioned thread. I would start there, personally. https://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Teacher-Wealth-Should-Learned/dp/1119356296
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 12:20:16 AM by jooniFLORisploo »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2017, 11:46:23 PM »
Did you feel like you had to really be an investor smarty pants to pull this off?

No.  I went the real estate route, and though there was a lot to learn, anyone can do it, no special intelligence needed.

And with stock investing, it happens that the simplest method is the most effective anyways.  Being an "investor smarty pants" is often a detriment, because you (incorrectly) think you'll outguess the market.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2017, 12:06:02 AM »

I knew zero, zilch, nada about investing and the concept of retiring early was not even something I'd ever heard of.  Three things turned me from scared, ignorant and unsure of the future to 100% confident and currently FIREd:

1. This forum. Not so much MMM's main blog/site, not that it wasn't both entertaining and informative, but the folks in this forum are the ones that answered countless questions, directed me to sites and research on things like investing, tax avoidance, stepped up cost, the benefits and pitfalls of specific types of accounts and their confusing inner workings and how to untangle them, and just in general were (and are) all around great people.

2. Jim Collins' stock series. He turned his website into a book, and it is fantastic. While I got lots of help from the forum, Mr. Collins' site is the thing that absolutely, 100% explained investing, the market, and money management. And the amazing part is he did it in plain English, and made it a fun read to boot. If you also struggle with the whole "investing is scary and complicated and I will never feel confident doing all this stuff" like I did, you should try reading it.

3. The Bogleheads Wiki. Index investing for the win. All the stuff you need to know in one beautifully organized place.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2017, 12:39:48 AM »
Just yesterday, SO and I were sitting here looking out over the view, and not believing where we are financially. We've been retired more than 7 years and we still don't believe that we pulled it off, and are in a better position than a lot of people. How could normal people like us do it, when were were never CEOs or CFOs or any other three letter titles? To us, everyone around us still looks so much richer than we do (and I'm sure they think they are too). And we definitely weren't "investor smartypants" - we didn't even know we had enough to retire until someone told us we could. We just saved. We accidentally put money in the right places, and suddenly, voila, we were there.

For instance, I don't like being in debt, so I paid off my house very quickly (where I live, paying off your PPOR first is actually a really good thing to do because of the tax laws and the fact that our interest rates are generally higher than yours and our houses are much more expensive). I knew we'd want money for retirement, so worked out ways to put it into retirement accounts. We had spare money, so I did things to the house that reduced its energy consumption by half (this meant all our utility bills were halved, and so our saving rate increased).

SDH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2017, 07:51:14 AM »

I knew zero, zilch, nada about investing and the concept of retiring early was not even something I'd ever heard of.  Three things turned me from scared, ignorant and unsure of the future to 100% confident and currently FIREd:

1. This forum. Not so much MMM's main blog/site, not that it wasn't both entertaining and informative, but the folks in this forum are the ones that answered countless questions, directed me to sites and research on things like investing, tax avoidance, stepped up cost, the benefits and pitfalls of specific types of accounts and their confusing inner workings and how to untangle them, and just in general were (and are) all around great people.

I have taken to these forums and they have been a great help in educating myself but I still feel not sure.  I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! ha  I've looked into some of the things you've listed here..... but STILL not sure. How long after you found MMM did you FIRE?  I feel like we can maybe do it in about 4-6 years but having no access to liquid cash really to speak of, I'm just not clear on how to pull it all together even though I feel like I've asked countless questions on here already :( Did a Case study even.  I guess if I keep my head in the game here and just keep reading, it'll start to become more clear .  Thanks to you all for your replies!

2. Jim Collins' stock series. He turned his website into a book, and it is fantastic. While I got lots of help from the forum, Mr. Collins' site is the thing that absolutely, 100% explained investing, the market, and money management. And the amazing part is he did it in plain English, and made it a fun read to boot. If you also struggle with the whole "investing is scary and complicated and I will never feel confident doing all this stuff" like I did, you should try reading it.

Will continue to scour his blog and will look for his book

3. The Bogleheads Wiki. Index investing for the win. All the stuff you need to know in one beautifully organized place.

Need to spend more time with his stuff!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2017, 09:05:55 AM »
I guess if I keep my head in the game here and just keep reading, it'll start to become more clear .  Thanks to you all for your replies!

YES! Give it time to come clear, keep asking questions along the way, especially the ones inside you that "feel stupid" :)     And you're welcome. I hope you'll check out Millionaire Teacher too. That's the one that felt and feels most accessible to me. Reading different excellent ones can help bring the picture together for you. (And my whole story in book form is linked to in my sig, but it doesn't detail investing...though does get into how to start approaching that.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!