Author Topic: Serious "one more year" syndrome - advice appreciated  (Read 121494 times)

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Serious "one more year" syndrome - advice appreciated
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2019, 04:54:48 PM »
Update: DH told boss today of his intention to retire soon. Boss was shocked, but supportive. And I didn't even have a panic attack.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2019, 12:56:25 AM »
Update: DH told boss today of his intention to retire soon. Boss was shocked, but supportive. And I didn't even have a panic attack.

Hurray!, he is quitting soon.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 11:51:55 PM by Linea_Norway »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2019, 05:20:02 AM »
I'm very late to your thread @Omy, but wanted to chime in and offer support.  Your recent developments (DH voicing his plans at work) are fantastic!  Now go for it!  Freedom is near for both of you.  I FIREd in January from a cash firehose job, at the sweet spot of my career.  Absolutely no regrets whatsoever.  FIRE is even better than I imagined it would be. 

Come on over to the 2019 FIRE Cohort thread:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/2019-fire-cohort/2450/  Lots of folks there have wrestled the OMY demon and have come out the other side.  You can do it!

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2019, 06:04:29 AM »
Joining the 2019 cohort thread would def help make it real. He is open to retiring in June...or staying 6 months to a year if they give him a big severance package at the end. I asked if he preferred to just quit now, but it sounds like he would be equally happy to continue for a bit if there's a big enough carrot at the end. I then realized that I would be happy with the carrot....but slightly disappointed that we wouldn't be making the jump right away. That realization was a shocker to me. Maybe my OMY syndrome is just about cured.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2019, 08:43:47 AM »
I then realized that I would be happy with the carrot....but slightly disappointed that we wouldn't be making the jump right away. That realization was a shocker to me. Maybe my OMY syndrome is just about cured.

You're gonna have to change your name!

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2019, 10:31:34 PM »
Joining the 2019 cohort thread would def help make it real. He is open to retiring in June...or staying 6 months to a year if they give him a big severance package at the end. I asked if he preferred to just quit now, but it sounds like he would be equally happy to continue for a bit if there's a big enough carrot at the end. I then realized that I would be happy with the carrot....but slightly disappointed that we wouldn't be making the jump right away. That realization was a shocker to me. Maybe my OMY syndrome is just about cured.

Oh my, don’t trade any more of your lives for money!  You have already achieved fat-fire!!  I have refrained from telling my latest story, but you can guess.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2019, 12:11:13 AM »
I agree. If he decides to work another year, it doesn't mean I have to. And I'm so sorry if you've lost another young friend, RCC.

Perhaps I will change my name to "Nomy", MJ.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2019, 08:02:53 PM »
One minus year.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2019, 06:28:22 PM »
Minor update...I joined the 2019 cohort thread so I guess it's official. DH is leaving in July and I am wrapping up what will probably be my final transaction at the end of June. I feel lighter already.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2019, 11:33:10 AM »
Minor update...I joined the 2019 cohort thread so I guess it's official. DH is leaving in July and I am wrapping up what will probably be my final transaction at the end of June. I feel lighter already.

Great..:)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2019, 08:18:43 AM »
Following! 

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2019, 10:51:58 PM »

Thank goodness!!!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2019, 11:51:12 PM »
Sounds like a major update to me!

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2019, 05:23:29 AM »

Almost three months from giving the notice and two from leaving, I can say its pretty incredible

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2019, 07:31:50 AM »
So husband announces to me yesterday that his last day will be August 2. He hasn't told boss what his last day will be yet, so I ask why he is delaying. He says that way we get the extra free month of health insurance (which I had learned on this forum...thank you). I ask "How about July 2?" He says he doesn't want to deal with getting a new phone right before our planned vacation in early July (since his current phone is company owned).

I'm still planning to put my license in referral status at the end of June. I guess he has graduated from "one more year" syndrome to "one more month" syndrome. Sheesh.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2019, 08:09:09 AM »
One more month is easier :)

Extended out my date by four days for another two weeks of health insurance

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2019, 08:10:52 AM »
So husband announces to me yesterday that his last day will be August 2. He hasn't told boss what his last day will be yet, so I ask why he is delaying. He says that way we get the extra free month of health insurance (which I had learned on this forum...thank you). I ask "How about July 2?" He says he doesn't want to deal with getting a new phone right before our planned vacation in early July (since his current phone is company owned).

I'm still planning to put my license in referral status at the end of June. I guess he has graduated from "one more year" syndrome to "one more month" syndrome. Sheesh.

my mind went right to mathematical limit analysis...  One more year -> One more month -> one more week -> one more day -> one more hour -> one more minute...  I guess the good part of this is that at some point it will line up with some BS meeting and he will just walk out :-)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2019, 04:53:44 PM »
So husband announces to me yesterday that his last day will be August 2. He hasn't told boss what his last day will be yet, so I ask why he is delaying. He says that way we get the extra free month of health insurance (which I had learned on this forum...thank you).

Many work plans work that way, but not all -- as I found out when I retired.  Our plan (a good one in other ways) was written so that it only ran until the Saturday following the employee's last day of work. 

It just depends how it is set up.

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2019, 06:53:57 PM »

Sure, getting a new phone is a hassle ;)

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/24/unleash-your-inner-hasselhoff-for-greater-riches/

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2019, 01:17:19 AM »
I thought that was a weird excuse, too!

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2019, 11:53:13 AM »
So COBRA will cost $1300/month to continue our current plan for 18 months (with vision, dental and HSA). That sounds really reasonable given that the market place numbers are $1500-2400/mo for silver plans (no subsidy at our current income levels). Any reasons we shouldn't go down the COBRA route?

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2019, 03:34:37 PM »
If you like you plan and it is cheaper by all means keep it.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2019, 04:23:58 AM »
So COBRA will cost $1300/month to continue our current plan for 18 months (with vision, dental and HSA). That sounds really reasonable given that the market place numbers are $1500-2400/mo for silver plans (no subsidy at our current income levels). Any reasons we shouldn't go down the COBRA route?

No.  We went on COBRA for 2019.   The price difference basically means your employer's pool of employees is a bit healthier than the ACA participants in your state.   My employer was full of old stressed out people, so the cost difference wasn't much.  We went with COBRA because we were already a good ways into our deductible.   

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2019, 06:03:10 AM »

No.  We went on COBRA for 2019.   The price difference basically means your employer's pool of employees is a bit healthier than the ACA participants in your state.

That makes sense. We are assuming that by 2021 (assuming the ACA is still in tact), we might be able to figure out how to get our income under $65k to qualify for a bit of subsidy. If not, I've also considered getting a job long enough to qualify for insurance and ride that COBRA out for another 18 months. Does anybody do that?

AO1FireTo

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2019, 08:39:31 AM »
Engineer friend of mine died last week, leaving a wife and baby behind. Not even 40 years old yet.

You and your husband have basically no chance of running out of money if you follow the basic MMM guidelines.  At this point, it's just how much of your life do you want to force your husband to keep working?

I find the "Rich Broke Dead" visualizer to be useful. I put in a rough approximation of your numbers. The red area (none) is "broke" and the grey area is "dead".

http://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/?utm_source=mmm

Wow this is amazing, thanks for sharing.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2019, 09:57:54 AM »
That calculator was one of the catalysts for me to stop my "one more year" syndrome. Being able to see that death was going to get me before lack of money would was a real eye opener.

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2019, 06:03:23 AM »
Great thread and great info; thanks everyone

enFuego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Somewhere between On Fire and FIRE...
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2019, 02:25:15 PM »
Congrats @Omy on making progress on your decision.  I have to say I really appreciate the discussion in this thread as I can see myself having the same struggle with OMY in the future.  We are both very conservative with regards to the financial risk of retiring early.  I'd be more likely to do OMY than roll the dice on not having more than enough.

The Rich, Broke or Dead visualization is very powerful to me.  We actually just reviewed our numbers together and DW was nodding right along with projections regarding NW in a certain number of years.  I plugged our numbers in to that chart without the Dead part and DW was still a little skeptical.  Checking the box to visualize the possibility of death made an impact.  Adding into our discussion the risk of running out of years instead of running out of money emphasized our shared viewpoint of when enough is enough.

Best wishes...

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2019, 02:35:35 PM »
Yes, it is a very powerful visual. I credit that (along with everybody here, of course) for getting me to realize that it is an almost certainty that I will die before I run out of money. That picture was worth a thousand words.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2019, 02:45:51 PM »
Another update: My transaction that was supposed to wrap up in June has expanded into July (hopefully in the next couple of weeks). I have been strategic about not taking on any new business, but I need to see this one through. So my FIRE date has moved from end of June to end of July. DH target date is still August 2. I am goofing off quite a bit...amusement park with my niece last week and lots of time floating in the pool. Practicing for my upcoming life of leisure.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2019, 11:49:41 AM »
Problem is and always has been ...the kids , the kids....and the bloody legacy i wish to leave for them...just can't shake that off:((
I'm willing to bet a fat wad of cash that the legacy your kids would prefer is time and experiences with you, not another zero in their bank account. Your kids hopefully have a lot of time left on this earth. The magic of compounding over time will create more than you can imagine. Give them the gift of your presence now.
I just had a conversation with my father (he 77) that was kinda heartbreaking along these lines.  He was a great dad, he was a great husband, who made as much time for his family as he could (and much more than most I'd bet), and was a very hard working loyal employee (in the medical field, so his loyalty was to his patients as well).

Yet now, he's taking care of my mom, who's admittedly not quite all there anymore.  Its very difficult, very very difficult (please support the caregivers in your family).  And in our conversation he kept returning to he just can't believe "its over" (normal life with mom), and how he cant believe how fast it all went, and how he wished he had not spent so much time working as the good years passed.

And this is from a guy that did spend a lot of time with his wife and kids, who did a job that was a service to the community, and who didn't hate  his work.

snowdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2019, 07:14:48 AM »
Another update: My transaction that was supposed to wrap up in June has expanded into July (hopefully in the next couple of weeks). I have been strategic about not taking on any new business, but I need to see this one through. So my FIRE date has moved from end of June to end of July. DH target date is still August 2. I am goofing off quite a bit...amusement park with my niece last week and lots of time floating in the pool. Practicing for my upcoming life of leisure.

OMY, I'm in the same boat as you.  My original date of May keeps getting pushed.  I agreed to stay until a replacement is found and that's taken a bit longer than expected.  I'm now looking at an August/Sept end date.  I'm cool with this as they are paying me a huge transition bonus (variable based on time retained).  All pressure is off so it's very bearable.  I'm going to use the bonus to fund my retirement toys.  Getting anxious though...really looking forward to starting my next chapter.   

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2019, 07:54:14 AM »
I'm getting antsy because this transaction has taken on a life of its own and I can't abandon the seller at this point. I'm hoping for August now. Good luck on your transition,  snowdog!

That is heartbreaking, Much Fishing To Do! For the last several years, I've worried that we wouldn't have enough money to last another 40 years. After a few health scares (and a few face punches), I realize I need to focus on having good quality of life - not just more money.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2019, 10:59:23 AM »
I'm getting antsy because this transaction has taken on a life of its own and I can't abandon the seller at this point. I'm hoping for August now. Good luck on your transition,  snowdog!

That is heartbreaking, Much Fishing To Do! For the last several years, I've worried that we wouldn't have enough money to last another 40 years. After a few health scares (and a few face punches), I realize I need to focus on having good quality of life - not just more money.

That sounds like the bell on the last day of school getting delayed. 

Problem is and always has been ...the kids , the kids....and the bloody legacy i wish to leave for them...just can't shake that off:((
I'm willing to bet a fat wad of cash that the legacy your kids would prefer is time and experiences with you, not another zero in their bank account. Your kids hopefully have a lot of time left on this earth. The magic of compounding over time will create more than you can imagine. Give them the gift of your presence now.
I just had a conversation with my father (he 77) that was kinda heartbreaking along these lines.  He was a great dad, he was a great husband, who made as much time for his family as he could (and much more than most I'd bet), and was a very hard working loyal employee (in the medical field, so his loyalty was to his patients as well).

Yet now, he's taking care of my mom, who's admittedly not quite all there anymore.  Its very difficult, very very difficult (please support the caregivers in your family).  And in our conversation he kept returning to he just can't believe "its over" (normal life with mom), and how he cant believe how fast it all went, and how he wished he had not spent so much time working as the good years passed.

And this is from a guy that did spend a lot of time with his wife and kids, who did a job that was a service to the community, and who didn't hate  his work.

That sounds tough.  A lot of us will probably be there some day.  Trying to appreciate the time before then puts a totally different spin on YOLO.

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2019, 11:06:55 AM »
Stop trading time for money. You WILL die one day. If you are in a situation where you've hit your number, trying to hang on for one more year for more money you don't really need is foolish. You WILL REGRET sacrificing a "good" year of life where you were healthy enough to really enjoy it (so you can travel etc.) once you are having health issues later on in life (IF you make it that far). Think about being in hospice and asking yourself if waiting another year was the right decision.

I am TOTALLY in this situation right now.. hit the number, just barely as I FIRE'd (unplanned) and now have a potential job opportunity. Living in a HCOL area and not really planning to have FIRE'd i am waiting to see the offer but have been mulling it based on exactly what you wrote

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2019, 12:47:19 PM »
DH FIRE'd on Friday and the stock market is tanking...zero surprise there!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2019, 11:10:07 AM »
DH FIRE'd on Friday and the stock market is tanking...zero surprise there!

Yes, but based on what you've told us it would take a nuclear winter before you needed to start cutting a few of the luxuries out of your budget. 

EDIT: One other thing, the market is still ~5% higher than it was when you started the thread before accounting for dividends. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:13:40 AM by dougules »

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2019, 12:47:36 PM »
I know - and the best news is that I am completely confident in the plan and not worried at all. The timing was just so freakin' predictable.

DH sold a bunch of his stock options last week and managed to do it at almost their all time high, so there's that...

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2019, 01:37:04 PM »
I know - and the best news is that I am completely confident in the plan and not worried at all. The timing was just so freakin' predictable.

DH sold a bunch of his stock options last week and managed to do it at almost their all time high, so there's that...

I know.  You can expect a huge crash around 2023 when we retire. 

It sounds like luck was actually on your husband's side. 

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2019, 01:49:58 PM »
Agreed. It's hard to whine when things usually go you're way.

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2019, 08:32:10 AM »

Great thread.  I am in a similar spot.  We've been FI for several years, but that option vesting carrot is strong.  I've really been OMY'ing it since 2016. I tried to quit last year and my last day would have been within a couple of days of the market peak last September, so by December I was kind of glad I hadn't.  My boss's boss pushed me to stay, giving me a completely new role which is very low stress (I went from managing 65 software developers scattered across the globe - US, India, China, etc. to managing 0 and doing a bunch of low priority side projects.)  I want to pull the trigger soon since options vested last month and financially we're fine.  But at 51 I have similar concerns about healthcare for the next 14 years.  One thing I've been thinking about is NFW am I working until 65 so I'll have to deal with the healthcare nightmare at some point.  18 months of COBRA gets us through the next election. 

DW has been retired for a few years for a variety of reasons, so she's kind of waiting for me. But, last year it was easier to quit, I hated my job, I had a new boss who I didn't like, the hours were ridiculous since I was basically on call 24x7.  Now I have none of that.  My job is just boring, but damn they pay me a lot for the amount of work I'm doing.  So I've been dithering a lot.

And as Much Fishing to Do points out there is the possibility of needing to focus on parental care.  3 of our parents are in their late 70s and while healthy now, I can certainly see a few years down the road where we'll need to take care of them and then suddenly we'll be old and need to be taken care of ourselves.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2019, 09:44:26 AM »

And as Much Fishing to Do points out there is the possibility of needing to focus on parental care.  3 of our parents are in their late 70s and while healthy now, I can certainly see a few years down the road where we'll need to take care of them and then suddenly we'll be old and need to be taken care of ourselves.

That sort of sounds like a reason to quit now and go have some fun while they need less work and you are younger/healthier.  I do get the "make hay while the sun is out" side as it maybe needed latter.  But at the same time how much more of your time life are you willing to give up to take care of other adults?

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2019, 10:06:48 AM »

That sort of sounds like a reason to quit now and go have some fun while they need less work and you are younger/healthier.  I do get the "make hay while the sun is out" side as it maybe needed latter.  But at the same time how much more of your time life are you willing to give up to take care of other adults?

Yes, that's what I'm getting at, I think about that a bit when I start considering doing OMY.  (The other aspect as has been pointed out is our own mortality.  A while ago, I tallied up the number of friends, colleagues, and associates who are my age or younger who are no longer with us and it was a bit disconcerting. Cancer, car accidents, suicide, etc, etc). 

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2019, 05:00:36 AM »

That's so awesome!

This "tanking" wasn't too bad.  Loosing 15% of our net worth back in December was a little more exciting.  You know the more times I go through this the less I'm worried.  This week was more amusing than anything else.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2019, 04:50:14 PM »
So it's official. My final transaction settled today!!

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life. 🍾🎈🎉

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2019, 05:00:44 PM »

This is awesome!! A huge congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2019, 07:57:20 PM »

!!!! keep us up to date!!!

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2019, 09:12:25 PM »
Success! Back to the starting line but it's a much more exciting journey. :-)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2019, 10:13:48 PM »
Welcome to the club!

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2019, 05:46:15 AM »
Thank you! And not just for the well wishes, but for all of the encouragement along the way. If I hadn't started this thread 9 months ago, I am positive that DH and I would still be slogging along -drowning in money and complaining that we didn't have enough time.

An interesting thing happened in the middle of the night. I woke up briefly as I often do, figured out what day it was, and then went right back to sleep! I didn't spend the next hour or so worrying about everything I had to do...I just slept! It's lovely to think this might be my new normal.