Author Topic: Semi-Retirement Part Time Gigs  (Read 30709 times)

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
Semi-Retirement Part Time Gigs
« on: September 17, 2015, 01:33:29 PM »
What are some of the jobs out there that are part time, reliable/predictable and don't pay minimum wage? And not Contracting/programming type of stuff that seems to make up a signifcant amount of this board.

regulator

• Bristles
Re: Semi-Retirement Part Time Gigs
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 03:12:45 PM »
Mine are all specialized stuff related to my former profession.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 03:24:27 PM »
Substitue teaching is on my radar for when the time comes. Qualifications vary by district, but it seems like most require a college degree and the passing of a test.  Pay isn't great, but it's not minimum wage certainly.

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 04:05:56 PM »

Following this out of interest.  Substitute teaching is on the potential list for me.

Gunny

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 07:20:20 PM »
I retired a month ago and started the substitute teaching application process this week.  Don't need the money, but a few days a week away from the house this winter will make a nice change.  A little extra pocket money will be nice as well. 

Pancake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 12:18:04 AM »
Tutor (helps if you have a degree or past work experience), dog walker, dog poop scooper, personal trainer, Crossfit coach, working at a winery in the tasting room (this may be min wage, but may include wine!), and if you live in Seattle you could soon flip burgers for $15/hr.

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 01:37:03 AM »
Posting to follow.
I've vaguely considered driving instructor.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 06:03:38 AM »
I am away's out from FIRE, but lately have been seeing ALOT of really nice PT jobs adverstised in town here.  One was M-F 10 - 2,  another a few days a week, office hours.   One was a PT tour guide at a nearby natural area.  I would have considered any of these.   Keep watching your local employment options - I use Indeed.com

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 06:20:36 AM »
Ohhhh just checked out Indeed.com and browsed through the jobs in the zip where I currently live.  Found a job listing from the USPS for a part time job.  It said that applicants would be eligible for "USPS Non-Career Employee Health Benefits Plan with a Postal Service premium contribution".  Then it said that after a year you "may" be eligible for "Federal Employees Health Benefits Program" with dental and vision insurance.  I think part time postal worker just made the list of potential retirement jobs.  If I do end up quitting full time before I'm fully FIRE it would be nice to have a part time job with employer subsidized health insurance in order to keep the budget low.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 01:24:44 PM »
If you have a master's degree you can be an adjunct instructor at a college.

NCGal

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 07:54:25 PM »
Uber driver? Is that an option for you? I took a car to a meeting in Portland recently. The driver had FIREd. He lives near the beach in an RV and drives a few mornings when he feels like it. He loves it.

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 06:53:48 PM »
If travel is your thing, the airlines are a good place. I have a friend who works at Delta 16 hours a week and get free airfare anywhere in the world for his entire family (wife and kids). I think he gets $12-$15 an hour on top of the free flights. I'm not FIRE yet, but it is on my radar.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 06:57:40 PM »
Nowadays community college adjunct instructors nearly always have PhDs, and the competition is fierce except for a few choice fields.  I would never count on being able to secure an adjunct job.

smiller257

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Enjoys lifestyle freedom & financial independence
    • We Retired Early
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 10:19:39 AM »
Working at a golf course sounds interesting.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 12:34:23 PM »
Many universities now teach classes online & I know many with Master's degrees that do this. You can teach anywhere in the country. Getting the first job takes time but once you have experience you have more choice. I have a Ph.D. & teach an online class. The pay really varies. Some pay well & some pay terrible. The nice thing about the online classes is you can teach from anywhere. I went to Europe last fall & taught from there.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 12:45:06 PM »
Yeah, I'm in an online graduate program right now (from a legit, not-for-profit state university) an I'm only 4 classes in, but I don't think any of my instructors have been "Dr.".  At least some have legitimate industry experience.  (Maybe all, but I didn't bother looking at everyone's bio.)

I suspect that there's a lot of work in the first semester, setting up the class, learning the software, and developing the curriculum, but after that it seems like it would largely be just repeating the same class and correcting papers, so it wouldn't be a ton of work, yet interacting with students could be interesting if you are even a little passionate about the subject matter. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »
More public universities are adding online courses or total degrees.  The public ones pay the best.  I teach the same course each semester but their is a lot of work to grade for my course.  I talk to the students online or they call me when they need to. I love the subject matter. With time everything goes faster.   

Frostee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »
I know several people who work at a golf course during the summers and/or work at a ski resort during the winters.  Neither pays a lot, but it is more than minimum wage and they golf or ski for free.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 02:57:19 PM »
Love this thread! Another one that has crossed my radar is selling produce. "How to Grow More Vegetables" says that a person who works 40 hours/week (that's not part time, but hear me out!) and takes 4 months off per year can sell enough produce to bring in $20-40,000 per year. So I assume that you could have a smaller garden, work less, and make less if you wanted. Also, since I like gardening more than I like being a salesperson, I'm intrigued by the idea of setting up a little "honor system" roadside stand by my driveway. I'd have to find a way to lock down the cash that people leave, but aside from that, the most I could lose to a thief would be whatever amount of produce I put out that day.

dabears847

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »
I was considering Real Estate Agent but like the golf idea.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 02:56:55 PM »
Mine should obviously be to consult in my field (environmental science), which pays very well. My going rate would be around $175 per billable hour, or more. Many of my peers actually earn more money as consultants after they retire (on top of their pension) than they did when they worked full time. However, I have no interest whatsoever to do anything remotely connected to this kind of work. Ever again.

Where I plan to spend most of the year (6-8 months), I will probably look for a part-time gig to walk or board dogs, house-sitting, haul junk to the dump and do odd non-specialized repair jobs, yard cleaning and general labour, grocery store clerk, etc. Substitute teacher has some potential and pays relatively well but I am not sure I feel like spending a lot of time in a classroom with turbulent kids. We plan to spend our winter months overseas and I will definitely teach or tutor English, French or Spanish as a Second Language, or work as a SCUBA divemaster in a dive resort, both part-time.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2015, 01:08:48 PM »
I'm still working full-time with almost 5 years to go, but my husband works part-time at a local hospital doing patient transport.  They pay isn't high, but he really enjoys it.  His hours are Mon - Fri 10 -3, and he is benefits eligible.  I carry most of our benefits, but he does get a match on a retirement account and they have a neat retiree medical savings account that he is enrolled in.  I'm thinking I would like to get a similar type of part-time, low-stress, no-meetings job once I retire from my full-time job.  The hospital has lots of part-time and per-diem opportunities for non-medical professionals.  I imagine other hospitals have similar opportunities.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 08:24:14 PM »
Granted that I'm on the more outdoors/landscaping oriented side of things, but here's the list I'm considering after FIRE so I have a mission but low liabiilty risk, low stress and high flexibility:

- Building custom home shutters (simple "rustic" styles that require mainly good cedar lumber, basic compressor with paint gun).   Had another tech professional, aspiring to FIRE, build and install on my home for good money.   He gets all business on referrals and has done several homes in our n'hood.   And I know carpentry well enough to know that the construction was easy on those things for someone with basic woodworking knowledge who pays attention to detail with the homeowner.   Ladders are involved to install though.   But can do this any time of year.

- Stump grinding - amazing how people freak out about grinding stumps and it's really simple.   Requires regular duty pickup, trailer and then business volume drives the rental vs. buy decision for the grinder.   Thinking of this for the winter gig (in the sunbelt where I live).  No ladders either.

- Pressure washing - Thinking of this as the "late spring through early fall" gig.   To do this right actually takes a bit of venture capital to get the right portable tanks and sprayer/rotary scrubber to do driveways/sidewalks/patios properly and to advertise and schedule appointments.    A 4 to 6 hour day for one of these guys is anywhere from $400 and up where I live though.    Hiring a helper or having a dependable business partner is important to handle scheduling and bigger jobs.

Scubanewbie

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2015, 08:44:47 PM »
If you FIRE early enough that you're still strong/fit there is pretty great money to be made in inland lake pier installation/removal anywhere where there's ice in the winter.  Always struck me as a great snowbird job.  Go somewhere warm for the winter, then come back up by me when it starts to warm up.  Work hard (or PT) for 6-8 weeks, relax/play all summer and then work again in the fall before heading south again. 

teacherwithamustache

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 12:56:43 PM »
If you enjoy a sport go and officiate the sport at the High School and Jr Hi level.  You make your own schedule and make between $25-$70 an hour.  During football season and Basketball season you can make 500-800 a week working from 4-8 in the evening.

For those of you saying substitute teaching I think you are crazy.  Please tell me what your day job is so that you think substitute teaching is a good alternative?

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 01:03:40 PM »
A good friend of mine owns a dog walking, boarding and behavioral training business. He works an average of 25-30 hours/week. He recently told me he made $120k last year, more than many tech jobs pay, for far fewer hours. He's now looking for people to help as he is at capacity, and will be paying $25/hour for part-time work. I still don't feel like doing any work at all, but post this because I had no idea it could be so lucrative on so few hours.

Matumba

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 01:11:06 PM »
How do you get an adjunct lecturer job with an online University? Is there a special Web site or is indeed.com good enough?

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 03:13:07 PM »
If you a master's degree, then just go to the actual university website and check it out.

For me, I'm just planning and telling my employer at the time that I want to go part-time. Figure that would be the best route, since I could negotiate decent pay out of it, but I have definitely thought about substitute teaching and/or officiating city league sports. For someone enterprising and willing to work, there seems to be plenty of side gigs available. One reason why I'm not worried about having a full stache before I quit full time. Making money has never been a problem.

DJStrong

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2015, 12:30:05 PM »
For those of you saying substitute teaching I think you are crazy.  Please tell me what your day job is so that you think substitute teaching is a good alternative?

I used to be a sub and would love to do it again at some point in my life.  I guess it is just a matter of what you enjoy, how the school is, etc.  I would not sub in anything but High School though.  Also being a popular sub (popular amongst the staff that is) gets you more days and the occasional job opportunity (a friend of mine transferred from subbing to a FT gig very smoothly) 

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 02:34:38 PM »
Love this thread! Another one that has crossed my radar is selling produce. "How to Grow More Vegetables" says that a person who works 40 hours/week (that's not part time, but hear me out!) and takes 4 months off per year can sell enough produce to bring in $20-40,000 per year. So I assume that you could have a smaller garden, work less, and make less if you wanted. Also, since I like gardening more than I like being a salesperson, I'm intrigued by the idea of setting up a little "honor system" roadside stand by my driveway. I'd have to find a way to lock down the cash that people leave, but aside from that, the most I could lose to a thief would be whatever amount of produce I put out that day.
I 'd love to do this too, I also tought to bake stuff and sell it and use a honour system stand by roadside. I also need to buy a house at road side first :)
I don't know if there are health regs about that since is informal
I should find out before I start

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2015, 01:47:35 AM »
In FIRE I have a few ideas planned. Things I'm working on already in the run up to it.

Very similar to the above, I have an allotment where myself and a friend grow enough veg for our families (well, we will eventually). The plan is to build our blog around this and create a niche business selling high quality organic foods. Taking our produce and crafting them into meals or preserves. Through blogging about this we aim to build an audience through which to market other products to.

It's all very early stages, but if done right, it will take a hobby and monetise it. I also have my own FIRE journey blog which is doing just fine and provides motivation for me to reach fire. To be honest if neither make money, it won't be an issue. That's not the original purpose. Anything I bring in from either project is a bonus. Probably to be used for a skiing trip.

Finally I plan to provide coaching to other business owners in my industry. Showing them how I was able to make a successful business that aided me to retire early. We are currently industry leaders in our market and I know that those people already copying our marketing would love the inside scoop on how it was done.

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 03:14:15 AM »
How about tax/financial consultant?
The only credentials you need is the fact that you where able to FIRE. I know someone who does taxes for old people now that he's retired. It's quite easy if you set it up right, and you get a chance to help people get their finances in order.

AnEDO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2015, 12:02:37 PM »
I'm retiring from full time in 2020.  Going to stay in the Navy Reserves though.  Not for everyone- you could get called up for active duty at any time for up to a year.  I really enjoy it though. 

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2015, 10:02:16 PM »
I recently inquired about a meal delivery service as something I was considering gifting to someone.  They wanted $210 for 2 deliveries per week for 2 people.  So it would be 4 servings (though they say it is really more like 6 servings) for $210.  $50 per serving!!!!  I actually wrote and asked for clarification because I though surely I was misunderstanding.  (Plus a one time deposit of $50 for glass containers or $20--I think--for plastic.  I'm assuming they pick up the prior week's dishes when they drop off the next week's meal.) I hate to cook, so this wouldn't be something I'd consider, but for someone who enjoys it, that seems like insanely good money.  They have a list of something like 6 meals (main and a couple of sides, I believe) each week, and you can choose which ones you want, and there were other options (3 deliveries for 2 people, 2 deliveries for 3 people, etc.).  They deliver them to your home before 5 pm.  So you would need to keep in in a somewhat concentrated area if you didn't want to spent a ton of time driving, but for those who live in fairly densely populated areas, it seems like it would really well. 

This is in a high COL area, but even at half that it seems like you could make great money. 

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2015, 07:34:55 AM »
That's an interesting idea, but I'd only attempt it if I was working part time for someone else's meal delivery business.  If you're thinking about opening your own business then I think start up costs would be too high for a part time gig.  Just from spending 10 minutes googling, it seems the only things that are "easily" sold out of your home kitchen are baked goods, jams, and non dairy, non meat foods.  And by "easily" I mean you still need to get permits and I believe have an inspection for your kitchen.  So, to have your own meal delivery business (that includes meat and/or dairy) then you'd need access to a commercial kitchen that passes inspection plus permits and... that already seems like too much barrier for me both expense and effort wise.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2015, 07:39:10 AM »
My recreational hobby/passion is rock & ice climbing/mountaineering. Over the past two years, I sought out American Mountain Guides Association certification, and associated certifications like CPR/AED and Wilderness First Responder. It was a pretty significant investment in terms of time and money.  I started working p/t on weekends guiding on rock this fall.  My plan is to transition to "full-time" guiding once I hang up the gloves for my current job. I can't wait.

I'm also thinking seriously about getting a Personal Trainer certification.  At 50, I've maintained a very high level of fitness.  This would be something I'd do part-time, and primarily for a free gym membership.

Lastly, I've been a dog owner for the last 25 years, and have a pretty good knack for training dogs (people have always complimented me on how well-behaved my dogs are).  Could possibly do a little dog walking and/or training on the side too.

Pookie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2015, 05:48:01 AM »
My plan is to paint and upcycle furniture. I LOVE doing it. Not sure how much I can make.

We also plan to go to "Farm School" at our cooperative extension office in January. We hope to learn how to make our property profitable.

Also may look into substitute teaching. We have a small, family friendly, everybody knows each other kind of school here and I think it pays $75/day. One or two days a week.

I know I don't want to go back to having someone else dictate my schedule!

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2015, 06:51:52 AM »
Commenting to follow. This thread has a ton fo great ideas.

BigEasy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2015, 08:26:14 PM »
OK...

I provide consulting engineering for my former employer, either by phone, email or in person about 3-4 days a month.. Represent an engineering company at national industry association meetings once a quarter. Wife gets to travel with me. Last one was in Los Angeles.

Play music with several working bands...several times a month.

Manage my "Gentlemans Farm."

Busy in a good and relaxing way!

Big Easy

Conjou

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2015, 05:51:24 AM »
My recreational hobby/passion is rock & ice climbing/mountaineering. Over the past two years, I sought out American Mountain Guides Association certification, and associated certifications like CPR/AED and Wilderness First Responder. It was a pretty significant investment in terms of time and money.  I started working p/t on weekends guiding on rock this fall.  My plan is to transition to "full-time" guiding once I hang up the gloves for my current job. I can't wait.

I'm also thinking seriously about getting a Personal Trainer certification.  At 50, I've maintained a very high level of fitness.  This would be something I'd do part-time, and primarily for a free gym membership.

+1 on the guiding ambition
Also, seasonal gigs in the outdoors, temp help during harvest, and, if you have the skills, mobile repair service for people with bicycle problems they can't fix themselves.
Lastly, I've been a dog owner for the last 25 years, and have a pretty good knack for training dogs (people have always complimented me on how well-behaved my dogs are).  Could possibly do a little dog walking and/or training on the side too.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2015, 07:06:59 AM »
I'm currently working on a few corporate lawn cutting jobs. Have landed one huge one but my goal is to not have to work past noon or 1 if I end up doing it.

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2015, 07:14:43 AM »
I am going to look into doing the books for a small business or two.  My full-time job involves using QuickBooks, so I am pretty proficient with it, and I can do payroll (we do it in-house, so I am also well versed in that).  I have also thought of working part-time for an accounting firm or an H&R Block type place during tax season.  I used to be an estates and trusts paralegal - did it for 11 years - and sometimes I see a law firm looking for a part-timer for that position.  That also involves preparing Form706 (Estate Tax Return), our local state inheritance tax return, and the Federal Form 1041 as well as the local equivalent.  So I have some options.

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2015, 06:49:35 PM »
I am going to look into doing the books for a small business or two.  My full-time job involves using QuickBooks, so I am pretty proficient with it, and I can do payroll (we do it in-house, so I am also well versed in that).  I have also thought of working part-time for an accounting firm or an H&R Block type place during tax season.  I used to be an estates and trusts paralegal - did it for 11 years - and sometimes I see a law firm looking for a part-timer for that position.  That also involves preparing Form706 (Estate Tax Return), our local state inheritance tax return, and the Federal Form 1041 as well as the local equivalent.  So I have some options.

A good place to look for people who need help with books is solo or small law firms. I'm lucky my wife is an accountant/auditor. Some of my colleagues have no clue.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2015, 11:21:23 PM »
Mine should obviously be to consult in my field (environmental science), which pays very well. My going rate would be around $175 per billable hour, or more. Many of my peers actually earn more money as consultants after they retire (on top of their pension) than they did when they worked full time. However, I have no interest whatsoever to do anything remotely connected to this kind of work. Ever again.

Where I plan to spend most of the year (6-8 months), I will probably look for a part-time gig to walk or board dogs, house-sitting, haul junk to the dump and do odd non-specialized repair jobs, yard cleaning and general labour, grocery store clerk, etc. Substitute teacher has some potential and pays relatively well but I am not sure I feel like spending a lot of time in a classroom with turbulent kids. We plan to spend our winter months overseas and I will definitely teach or tutor English, French or Spanish as a Second Language, or work as a SCUBA divemaster in a dive resort, both part-time.

I'm curious, what sort of work do you do in environmental science? I'd love to know what sorts of profitable jobs are available in this field.

Nancy

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2015, 04:46:11 AM »
Substitute teach
Part time library clerk
Summer camp counselor
Swim and sailing instructor
Park guide
Garden center

Edit to add: after-school assistant teacher
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:09:40 AM by Nancy »

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2015, 02:49:09 PM »
Substitute teach
Part time library clerk
Summer camp counselor
Swim and sailing instructor
Park guide
Garden center

I would rather work full-time for one more year than do any of these part-time gigs for five years.

Nancy

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2015, 04:37:11 AM »
flyingaway, it's good that you know yourself. Are there any PT jobs that would interest you as these interest me?

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2015, 12:50:22 PM »
I was thinking that I could teach Jiu-Jitsu. I reckon the pay would be extremely low but I wouldn't need money and I'd be doing what I was going to do anyway.

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2015, 06:43:11 PM »
What are some of the jobs out there that are part time, reliable/predictable and don't pay minimum wage? And not Contracting/programming type of stuff that seems to make up a signifcant amount of this board.

Part-time freelance graphic design is turning out to be good for me. I do work for an insurance company and they usually send me about 5 - 10 hours of work per week, more or less. I get to work at home at the hours I choose and the hourly rate is good. If they let me, I'll probably do this until I can take SS so I can more easily handle the unexpected bills that arise, such as dental and property repairs. I've been working for them for eight years, so, unless my contacts there leave, it could last a while longer. The clients are nice and they send us a Zingerman's gelato party at the holidays, too.

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2015, 09:25:02 PM »
flyingaway, it's good that you know yourself. Are there any PT jobs that would interest you as these interest me?

I am teaching at a university. So I am already doing what you plan to do in retirement.