General Discussion > Post-FIRE

Semi-Retirement

(1/5) > >>

regulator:
I am treading this path it seems, and I was wondering if others are doing something similar.  What are your experiences?  Tips?  Ideas? Pitfalls?

I bailed on the last "career" job in early 2014.  At the time I was extremely burnt out and just wanted to take a break for a year and figured I would sort out what comes next afterwards.  Marginally FI (by my standards, anyway) mostly due to being early 40s with two kids in grade school (a couple dinks would not have been marginal).  After 8 months off, I fell into a contract/consulting gig via a buddy and it is scheduled to run to the end of this year.  Pays well, does not require full time effort, and I work from my patio if I wish.  I have kind of decided that I would like to continue earning some income, but I am not willing to do a full time cube job if at all possible.  So I have started sniffing around.  Yesterday I applied for a promising looking part time, remote, flexible job listing that matches my skills very, very well and I have a phone interview on Monday.

In the meantime, I plan to continue having time to do what I enjoy, spend more time with family, and have a better life than in the 20 years of my career.

Anyone else doing this?

Cheddar Stacker:
Not yet, but I plan to do something similar so I'm interested in the replies as well.

I've been burned out for a bit, and I'm hanging on for a stock sale since I own a small chunk of my employer. It will likely happen in a couple months, then I need to transition into the new place for a year or three. Once our passive income reaches about 65-75% of our expenses I plan to pull the plug which should happen just before I turn 40.

After that I may freelance a little in my current field, but I plan to change it up a bit as well and make some money in other ways since I don't really like what I do anymore.

Jon_Snow:
I always looked upon "semi-retirement" as being the same as a "part-time worker". I was so keen on eliminating the "worker" part that it was never really something I considered.

RoseRelish:
I plan to do this. To me, "semi-retirement" means having basic expenses covered and working to get luxuries added back in. Like vacations, new golf clubs, concerts, etc.

Thinkum:
I am toying with this myself right now. Quit my job in Feb of this year, been doing lots of other stuff not related to making money. I got a PT job just to try it out and then quit a few weeks later. Now I am wondering if I should continue doing the PT thing or just go back to FT, stacking cash until full FI is achieved. My plan was to take a year off to travel, work on the house, learn some new things, etc. I still get somewhat paranoid about no incoming cash from me. My SO is still working, so that's good. I REALLY should put together an Ask A Mustachian to get other peoples opinions and perspectives since there are just so many things that are up in the air.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version