Author Topic: Round The World trip? How would you do it?  (Read 12097 times)

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
Re: Round The World trip? How would you do it?
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2020, 11:58:10 AM »
As we’ll be based out of Australia, cheap flights will get us to cheap Sth East Asia and expensive flights will get us to the rest of the world.... one of the few downsides of calling Australia home.

spartana

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd at 36? Or maybe it was 42?
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2020, 10:24:21 AM »
So, what’s everyone got planned for 2020 in terms of global travel?

For us it’ll be a bit less travel compared to recent years as we need to go back to Australia 3 times which will bite our bank balance. Still we have some things planned for the summer.

We will do a driving trip around Transylvania (Romania) with another couple and then we will fly over to Tokyo for the Olympics. We are  really looking forward to both halves of our vacation.

This trio will either be our last vacation as full time employees, or our first post FIRE trip. So doubly exciting.
Flooding in New Zealand caused my February trip there to be cancelled, and I’ll visit the Atacama Desert in Chile instead.
Covid-19 caused my April hiking trip to Hunan Province to be cancelled, so I’ll move up my trip to the Baltic States (originally planned for August)
June: Sumatra and Sulawesi
August: Kilimanjaro and Kenya
October: Australia for the T20 World Cup
December: Northern Brazil
I think you are FIRE already so have you thought of combining your trips into one or two longer ones that are close to each other? Save on travel/airfare costs, time and hassles,  and greatly reduce your carbon footprint.
I would love to, but my girlfriend isn’t FIREd and we miss each other too much if I’m away too long, so it’s usually six weeks home, 2 1/2 or so away (NZ would’ve been an exception, I had a five weeker planned).

Fortunately I’m fatFIRE by MMM forum standards (not so much by Bogleheads standards perhaps :-)  ), and I travel on the cheaper side, so the extra airfares aren’t a killer for my $15k travel budget.
I remember that now when it was brought up in another thread. Makes sense. I'm kind of the opposite and would rather be gone from an SO longer while travelling but also stay home for a longer period of time (and have SO join me somewhere for a bit when he can). It is less disruptive for me personally. I'm not big on traditional vacations of a week or 2 here and there as it takes me that long just to adjust (plus I hate flying). That's why one mega RTW-type trip is very appealing to me or at least a couple of months or so at one time done several times to different areas.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2020, 02:37:07 PM »
I'm kind of the opposite and would rather be gone from an SO longer while travelling but also stay home for a longer period of time (and have SO join me somewhere for a bit when he can). It is less disruptive for me personally. I'm not big on traditional vacations of a week or 2 here and there as it takes me that long just to adjust (plus I hate flying). That's why one mega RTW-type trip is very appealing to me or at least a couple of months or so at one time done several times to different areas.

On our RTW trip, we found that staying about a month in each place worked well for us. A month was long enough that we could settle into our Airbnb apartment or house, get to know the neighborhood, hopefully meet some people, find places we liked to shop, eat, drink and have coffee, and really get a feeling for what it would be like to actually live in that city. Since many Airbnb hosts offer big discounts (20-60%) for stays over 28 nights, month-long stays also made accommodations much more affordable than paying by the night.

spartana

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2020, 02:54:33 PM »
^Last time I tried it I ended up staying several months in several different places (and in Spain the longest for almost a year) so as a pokey person  I might need a few decades ;-). I do like the longer term rental thing - at least a month - as it not only is cheaper and allows you to kind of settle and get involved in an area, but for weird people like me with bedbug and motel/AirBNB skankiness fears I get at most nightly or shorter term stays, it eases the mind a bit.

Prairie Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2020, 11:33:05 AM »
I am still working, so my travel has to be in shorter stints. I am a homebody, but also seem to have a streak of wanderlust. Also, I travel solo.

This year I am taking the month of October off and will slow travel in France.

Paris  - 5 days mainly to get over jet lag, and because I have been there before it is in my comfort zone.
Then I will take the train to Avignon and rent a car. Other places that I have booked are Uzes, Goult, Mausanne les Alpilles and Antibes.

The Camino in France sounds really intriguing. I am going to research that and see if it is something I would want to do when I retire, and there are no time constraints.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2020, 05:01:05 PM »
I've changed my mind about how I'd  do the trip.

Instead of taking a ship to a continent and then traveling mostly by train I'd live  on a cruise ship and when it was in port for a few days take some short trips inland by train/car/bike.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2020, 05:26:52 AM »
Thank you for this thread . . . many inspiring stories here, and I am learning a ton!

spartana

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2020, 01:55:36 PM »
I've changed my mind about how I'd  do the trip.

Instead of taking a ship to a continent and then traveling mostly by train I'd live  on a cruise ship and when it was in port for a few days take some short trips inland by train/car/bike.
I think that is a pretty expensive option but if ya got the big bucks why not? For me it would be too much like living in my home country surrounded by similar people and first world luxury. It would be hard to get off the beaten path and experience even a tiny glimpse of the lives and culture of other people. But I can see how it would be appealing. The cargo ship cruises seem interesting too for a more down to earth experience. Although having spent a lot of  years at sea on  working ships there is no way I'd step on ANY ship for fun ;-).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 01:57:10 PM by spartana »

spartana

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2020, 02:02:37 PM »
Thank you for this thread . . . many inspiring stories here, and I am learning a ton!
You're welcome! I'm always fascinated by RTW or long distance travel - especially the idea of slow travel - and always like hearing the mustashian version of those kinds of travel. Especially the FIRE versions since not too many people out in the real world van do that kind of travel while young unless on sabbatticals or dirt bagger style.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 02:04:22 PM by spartana »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2020, 10:32:41 AM »
I've been lurking and learning on this thread as DH isn't ready to retire yet. Now I'm wondering how y'alls plans might morph, given the effect of the corona virus. I know you will keep traveling, but how will you switch it up? Muchremains to be seen.

I once heard Rick Steves talk, and one of his key points was Go Anyway. Don't get overly flummoxed by what the media is screeching about. I suppose the general fear of traveling will create some incredible opportunities.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2020, 11:01:47 AM »
If I was young I probably wouldn’t cancel travel plans. Being 65 with a few chronic conditions including asthma is a different story.

Dusty Dog Ranch

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2020, 03:55:42 PM »
We're not leaving until October, so we are planning as if we are going and will just have to wait and see. It will probably come down to whether any of our flights, especially the first one to Japan, or the Japan to Singapore leg, get cancelled; then we would be able to use our travel insurance.

But yeah, the thought of leaving our fairly isolated existence for big Asian cities is a little freaky right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2020, 10:14:16 AM »
I'm not sure whether or not I'd travel right now.  If not it would really just be out of to trying to help to contain the virus as opposed to any serious fear.  It's still really uncommon.  It's academic for me, though, since I didn't have any immediate travel plans anyway.

If the virus isn't contained soon, the world will just have to accept it as another endemic disease like the flu, and go on with business as usual.  It sounds like it's a little more virulent than the flu, but it still sounds like the vast majority of people won't get sick enough to need a hospital visit.  At that point there won't be any reason to change any plans.  It's just another one of the risks you accept when you travel.  Wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your face before you do.  You should be doing that anyway to keep from getting a cold or the flu. 

Chris Pascale

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2020, 02:55:04 PM »
If you are FIRE, or just plan to take longer sabbatticals, and wanted to do a round the world trip how would you do it? How long would you/could you take? How much do you think you'd spend? What mode of transports would you use? What kind of accommodations? Would you do it as one long trip and break it up into smaller trips over time with returns to a home base in between?  Etc...

More or less a nosey hypothetical question at this point but am looking at ideas and inspiration.BTW full on gloating about your awesome trips is VERY welcome. No humble bragging please, just bragging ;-).

Momma has always wanted to go to Budapest, so we start there if she says so.

However, for the convenience of a flight out of NYC, perhaps touch down in Iceland first.

But, if we are truly free, then I'd do as @Nords advises and hit up the military jumps and see where we land......eventually, of course, getting to Budapest eventually.

I'd like to alternate between swanky hotels/AirBNBs, train travel, boat and flight, and at least 1 meal of fine dining every week, if not every other day.

I'd also like to stop in and see friends, have a part of the trip with my kids, and another just the 2 of us.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 02:57:26 PM by Chris Pascale »

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2020, 02:23:56 AM »
We will travel like normal with no changes to plans unleaded they are forced upon us.

Of course in airports and the like we will keep hand sanitizer at the ready.

Really hopeful the Olympics proceed as planned.

We do need to fly to Australia in May and again in June, so hopefully the borders stay open.

Fingers crossed.

spartana

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2020, 12:35:58 PM »
I've been lurking and learning on this thread as DH isn't ready to retire yet. Now I'm wondering how y'alls plans might morph, given the effect of the corona virus. I know you will keep traveling, but how will you switch it up? Muchremains to be seen.

I once heard Rick Steves talk, and one of his key points was Go Anyway. Don't get overly flummoxed by what the media is screeching about. I suppose the general fear of traveling will create some incredible opportunities.
I changed my overseas plans and will do domestic camping road trips instead for several months. So I guess RTW is now RTUSA. 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2020, 01:23:17 PM »
We're still going, albeit cautiously keeping our hand on the pulse in regards to how things shape up in Europe while we are there.

Right now Italy is not looking good for mid-April, but that too can change.

spartana

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2020, 02:31:30 PM »
We're still going, albeit cautiously keeping our hand on the pulse in regards to how things shape up in Europe while we are there.

Right now Italy is not looking good for mid-April, but that too can change.
I forgot about you guys who are already doing this - or just starting out. It must really throw a wrench into your plans. I wonder how @EndlessJourney  is doing as I think they were in Asia and could probably shed some light on things. It DOES seem to be getting worse but that may just be media scare tactics. I definitely revamping my plans and may even forgo long road trips and just rent a place in some nice US mountain town for the summer and fall instead.

Missy B

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2020, 12:11:32 PM »
Omg, ours was a repositioning Cruise so lots of sea days but tons of things which kept us busy. My husband enjoyed being in the choir and taking a acting class. Then at the end of the cruise they all performed. There was also a mystery to solve and you did it in groups of 8 people.  It was really challenging with the clues they gave.

Never heard of cruises with choirs! Which line was it? My partner and I would enjoy that and the acting class.

Cruising or cargo ship would be my choice (instead of flight) and then train travel through Europe.
Cargo ships weren't any cheaper than cruising and have a lot less entertainment and food choices. And they're less crowded and the environmental impact is much different since you're tagging along on a transport vessel instead of creating a big footprint just to amuse yourself. Boyfriend would rather take a cargo ship (he doesn't think cruise ships are amusing).

Missy B

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2020, 12:15:13 PM »
In May, 2018, my family and I enjoyed 7 days on the Hurtigruten Ferry in Norway. It was kind of like a cruise, but the Hurtigruten is also a working ferry. Every day, our ship stopped in several little ports, where we picked up and dropped off vehicles, cargo, and people. Our trip started in Bergen, in the SW, and ended far above the Arctic Circle in the little town of Kirkenes. We paid about US$1500 each for the entire trip, which included 3 delicious meals/day and one of the cheapest rooms for 3. At each port, if there was time, we usually got off and walked around the town or took a short hike up onto a hill overlooking the harbor. Each day, the shipped stopped at one port for 3-4 hours. The other stops were shorter, say, 20 - 30 minutes each. Just like a cruise, the Hurtigruten offers excursions at each of the ports where it stops for a few hours. We never took the excursions, because they were pretty expensive. Didn't find out until the last day of the trip, but the Hurtigruten has bicycles on board that passengers can borrow for free to ride around the towns where the ship makes longer stops. Next time, I'll definitely take advantage of that.
This ferry was recommended to me in the strongest possible terms by the wife of a Norwegian. She said it stops in places that none of the big cruisers can, and that you get the best sense of what the fjords really are like. She said the food was great.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2020, 10:32:52 AM »
Missy, it was a passenger choir with the music director. You showed up to practice daily if you wanted to perform for the ship at the end of the cruise. Same with a Michael Jackson group moonwalk dance.  It was Royal Caribbean.

Missy B

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2020, 02:52:35 PM »
Missy, it was a passenger choir with the music director. You showed up to practice daily if you wanted to perform for the ship at the end of the cruise. Same with a Michael Jackson group moonwalk dance.  It was Royal Caribbean.
Thank you! i have been looking at different cruises but hadn't seen those activities mentioned. Lots of my family members would get a kick out of that stuff, if we ever mananged to get everyone together.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2020, 09:07:50 PM »
In May, 2018, my family and I enjoyed 7 days on the Hurtigruten Ferry in Norway. It was kind of like a cruise, but the Hurtigruten is also a working ferry. Every day, our ship stopped in several little ports, where we picked up and dropped off vehicles, cargo, and people. Our trip started in Bergen, in the SW, and ended far above the Arctic Circle in the little town of Kirkenes. We paid about US$1500 each for the entire trip, which included 3 delicious meals/day and one of the cheapest rooms for 3. At each port, if there was time, we usually got off and walked around the town or took a short hike up onto a hill overlooking the harbor. Each day, the shipped stopped at one port for 3-4 hours. The other stops were shorter, say, 20 - 30 minutes each. Just like a cruise, the Hurtigruten offers excursions at each of the ports where it stops for a few hours. We never took the excursions, because they were pretty expensive. Didn't find out until the last day of the trip, but the Hurtigruten has bicycles on board that passengers can borrow for free to ride around the towns where the ship makes longer stops. Next time, I'll definitely take advantage of that.
This ferry was recommended to me in the strongest possible terms by the wife of a Norwegian. She said it stops in places that none of the big cruisers can, and that you get the best sense of what the fjords really are like. She said the food was great.

@Missy B Yes, your friend was right. The food was amazing! Each day, it changed to reflect specialties from the region of Norway the ship was passing through. We have fond memories from our week long trip on the Hurtigruten and are hoping to do it again some day.

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2020, 06:47:53 AM »
If I was young I probably wouldn’t cancel travel plans. Being 65 with a few chronic conditions including asthma is a different story.
I agree with you Cassie, as I am 66 and hubby is 70.  Although we are fairly healthy, I just had a bout with pneumonia in January and spent 2 days in the hospital!  It really kicked my butt, have never been that sick.  Took me almost 4 weeks to totally get over it.  We had planned to book another tour in Europe for the fall, but I am going to wait and see how things work out with the Coronavirus.  We may just hook up our camper and travel the U.S. again. 

Miss Prim